PDA

View Full Version : Time to hit the off-season snooze button...

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-15-2013, 06:08 PM
I think I can safely ignore the GU Boards for a few weeks. There were three stories that I was following during this off-season: 1. Will K.O. go pro? 2. Will we get the transfer from Tulane? 3. Will we get the transfer from UNLV? All three questions have been answered. I think I'm going to hit the snooze button on the off-season for a little while. I'll start worrying about Gonzaga basketball right about the time that the Red Sox season starts its annual slide.

scott257
05-20-2013, 07:14 AM
It certainly has been a sad off-season so far. I can't help wonder why it is that Gonzaga doesn't seem to successfully recruit at a higher level with the constant success the program has had. Is it because of the conference? Is it the location (Spokane)? Is Mark Few just satisfied with the status quo? I would like to think that Gonzaga will be on top of the conference next season and it will be business as usual, but based on what I have read on this board, the new players next season are not likely to make any impact on the team and so our real hopes lie in improvement with Dower and Karnowski.

Usually there is something positive to speculate about in the off-season but this year seems especially down.

titopoet
05-20-2013, 07:39 AM
ZZZZZZZZZZZ Good plan

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/2666429952/h7B78F4F8/

sittingon50
05-20-2013, 07:55 AM
The Zags were ranked #1 & got a #1 seed. Exactly what level of recruiting will improve on that?

What level does Kentucky recruit at? How did they do?

The NCAA Tournament is a sudden death affair. Sudden death can visit anybody.

GoZags
05-20-2013, 09:00 AM
It certainly has been a sad off-season so far. I can't help wonder why it is that Gonzaga doesn't seem to successfully recruit at a higher level with the constant success the program has had. Is it because of the conference? Is it the location (Spokane)? Is Mark Few just satisfied with the status quo? I would like to think that Gonzaga will be on top of the conference next season and it will be business as usual, but based on what I have read on this board, the new players next season are not likely to make any impact on the team and so our real hopes lie in improvement with Dower and Karnowski.

Usually there is something positive to speculate about in the off-season but this year seems especially down.

I don't know.

How about Pangos and Bell with the offense in their hands .... where the team relies on them for points rather than feeding bigs. That seemed to work okay with Santangelo, Dickau, Stepp, etc.

I think Gerard (as a new guy) WILL have an impact on the team.

I'm also looking forward to seeing who else will join the fold (i.e. the 12th and 13th scholarships).

I don't think I'll be doing too much zzzzzz'ing over the next couple of months.

scott257
05-20-2013, 09:46 AM
The Zags were ranked #1 & got a #1 seed. Exactly what level of recruiting will improve on that?

What level does Kentucky recruit at? How did they do?

The NCAA Tournament is a sudden death affair. Sudden death can visit anybody.

Don't get me wrong - I am always totally impressed each year with how the staff works with the talent it has, and I imagine many of the other coaches in the WCC are too. It just seems to me that we have hit a lull in recruiting this year. I expect, and I have stated it before, that Dower will rise to a new level this coming season. I believe that we will see more out of Karnowski, and I believe we will see much more from Drew Barham this season as he channels his inner Mike Hart. I just don't expect either of our new class to be contributors this season and the normal optimism around a new class of recruits doesn't seem to be evident.

scott257
05-20-2013, 10:00 AM
I don't know.

How about Pangos and Bell with the offense in their hands .... where the team relies on them for points rather than feeding bigs. That seemed to work okay with Santangelo, Dickau, Stepp, etc.

I think Gerard (as a new guy) WILL have an impact on the team.

I'm also looking forward to seeing who else will join the fold (i.e. the 12th and 13th scholarships).

I don't think I'll be doing too much zzzzzz'ing over the next couple of months.

I hope you are right. I have high hopes for both Pangos and Bell, but I am uncertain about their abilities to carry the load on offense (would like to see it). I never had the chance to see Gerard and I look forward to that as well as Nunez. But don't you agree that those 12th and 13th scholarships need to be players that can come in and make an impact immediately (even if it is off the bench)?

maynard g krebs
05-20-2013, 11:45 AM
those 12th and 13th scholarships need to be players that can come in and make an impact immediately (even if it is off the bench)?

Depends what you mean by impact. Next year's team is loaded at guard and wing. IMO the only reason Bell and Pangos haven't scored like some of their predecessors is that they have been asked to feed the bigs.

All that's needed out of the open slots is a big guy who can defend and rebound serviceably. More than that would be nice, but a Kuso type would be enough to patch the hole in the roster.

229SintoZag
05-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Here is how I feel.

I have no doubt that the Zags next year will compete for and likely win the conference. That they will beat some good or even great teams in OCC. That they will make the tournament, yet again. That they will likely even win a game in the tournament. I don't doubt any of this.

I do doubt whether we will advance beyond a game in the tournament. I doubt we will be ranked #1 at any point in the season. I doubt we will be a real threat to advance to the elite 8 or beyond. I doubt we will have a consensus first team All American.

Here is hoping that what I don't doubt is not me taking things for granted, and that what I do doubt is me placing too much heft on past results as a predictor of future performance.