PDA

View Full Version : Not worried about next year but...

cggonzaga
05-15-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm honestly not worried about next year. We'll add a big, at least a body, for depth next season. We are deep enough at the guard position to absorb the thin frontline. So we play small at times next year, so what. That really doesn't hurt us until tourney time and only then if we play a big team. I have the utmost confidence in Sam and I believe Karno takes big steps into his sophomore year. We need big improvements from Kyle and hopefully Angel turns out to be a stud come mid season. This team was only going as far as Kevin, Gary, Gerard and Sam would take us regardless of who came in.

With that being said, 2014 recruiting becomes critical to this program continuing its success. We need big names and at least 3 of them. It truly all starts with Perkins in my opinion. He commits and we'll see at least 2 more big time commits.

loscontigos79
05-15-2013, 12:16 PM
i just gotta say I would much rather be thin in the frontcourt than thin at the point like a couple years ago

Oregonzagnut
05-15-2013, 12:41 PM
As it stands now we have Karno, Dower, Meikle and Edwards next year. With Edwards and Meikle being a wild card, Karno cannot get into foul trouble. If they hack a shrek or Dower gets in foul trouble too, we will be hurtin.

We need two more bigs, IMO. One at least! so we have some semblance of a 2nd string front court and can maybe find a tough 3 spot SF/wing in there somewhere.

cjm720
05-15-2013, 12:45 PM
We'll play 3 and 4 guard sets at times. Angel's no big and Edwards won't be ready. Juco or Euro may bring some depth, but I'm not holding my breath for a Harris or JP type impact player.

Oregonzagnut
05-15-2013, 01:00 PM
We'll play 3 and 4 guard sets at times. Angel's no big and Edwards won't be ready. Juco or Euro may bring some depth, but I'm not holding my breath for a Harris or JP type impact player.

Nunez will miss most of the OOC schedule due to transfer? We will be thin esp. in December. Is 6' 8" (still growing?) Lucas Meikle going to be ready for anything?

I do look forward to see a starting Pangos, Bell and Coleman back court. Could be exciting. WILL BE.

cggonzaga
05-15-2013, 01:29 PM
OZN,

I understand your worries but the fact of the matter is that 95% of teams in the country don't have great frontcourt depth. I do not believe Edwards or Miekle help this year. I know Nunez isn't a forward but he adds to our guard depth which will be utilized mightily. Again, I'm sure we find some warm body for a little depth before the season starts but it is what it is at this point. I will say this though, 2013 will be the worst defensive GU team in a long time. We better put up a lot of points.

cjm720
05-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Nunez will miss most of the OOC schedule due to transfer? We will be thin esp. in December. Is 6' 8" (still growing?) Lucas Meikle going to be ready for anything?

I do look forward to see a starting Pangos, Bell and Coleman back court. Could be exciting. WILL BE.

I don't see either of our incoming frosh being ready or playing...hope I'm wrong. Nunez will never be a banger...too skinny, loves the outside shot, and likely will be reluctant to pound down low (due to serious history of concussions). I see him as a wing and a wing only, and I don't see him getting much PT in his first season...hope I'm wrong.

Core (in order of minutes played) will be: Pangos, Bell, Coleman, Stockton, Dower, Karno, KD, Drew/Angel....IMO of course.

It's Pangos' team but Karno's the x-factor.

Zippyzaggy
05-15-2013, 02:41 PM
I don't see either of our incoming frosh being ready or playing...hope I'm wrong. Nunez will never be a banger...too skinny, loves the outside shot, and likely will be reluctant to pound down low (due to serious history of concussions). I see him as a wing and a wing only, and I don't see him getting much PT in his first season...hope I'm wrong.

Core (in order of minutes played) will be: Pangos, Bell, Coleman, Stockton, Dower, Karno, KD, Drew/Angel....IMO of course.

It's Pangos' team but Karno's the x-factor.

Your take of the program is overwhelming. You really have a feel for how things work and will go down....lol. Deja vu??

cjm720
05-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Your take of the program is overwhelming. You really have a feel for how things work and will go down....lol. Deja vu??

You betcha :)

VaBeachZAG
05-15-2013, 02:48 PM
I am unable to understand how some can say they are not that worried about our thin front court. All I can say is that I am deeply concerned about the lack of quality bigs, as it stands right now. I will quickly add , before someone jumps all over me, that when I speak of lack of quality I am not referring to SD or PK. Despite the flaws of each much discussed on this board, they should prove to be serviceable players for this team. However, even if these guys should manage to avoid foul trouble (very doubtful), they still can't play 40 minutes; others will have to sub for them from time to time. As it stands right now, that means we will go small, unless we pick up a last minute big, which is highly unlikely to be a high level player (hence the lack of quality bigs statement). We can probably survive this deficit in league play, but I expect us to pay dearly in many OOC games and in the NCAA tournament (assuming we can get there). Given where our program is supposed to be at this point, I find this predicament barely believable! Let me finally add that the early departure of KO is no excuse for being in this position. A program of this stature should be prepared for all contingencies (foreseeable or not).

ZagaZags
05-15-2013, 02:50 PM
I am unable to understand how some can say they are not that worried about our thin front court. All I can say is that I am deeply concerned about the lack of quality bigs, as it stands right now. I will quickly add , before someone jumps all over me, that when I speak of lack of quality I am not referring to SD or PK. Despite the flaws of each much discussed on this board, they should prove to be serviceable players for this team. However, even if these guys should manage to avoid foul trouble (very doubtful), they still can't play 40 minutes; others will have to sub for them from time to time. As it stands right now, that means we will go small, unless we pick up a last minute big, which is highly unlikely to be a high level player (hence the lack of quality bigs statement). We can probably survive this deficit in league play, but I expect us to pay dearly in many OOC games and in the NCAA tournament (assuming we can get there). Given where our program is supposed to be at this point, I find this predicament barely believable! Let me finally add that the early departure of KO is no excuse for being in this position. A program of this stature should be prepared for all contingencies (foreseeable or not).

I wish Ryan did not transfer. We would be fine next season if he stayed.

Oregonzagnut
05-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Agreed cjm720, although I think Edwards may see time due to our thin 4 and 5 spots.

cggonzaga: Worries? Not yet. But I do see potential problems. I do not think we will be as defensively bad as you think. At least in our backcourt. I think we will defend the perimeter better next year.

I also think that we will defend the paint if Karno and Dower can stay out of foul trouble. Both Dower and Karno need to stay out of foul trouble as well as making FTs! Karno must be above 66% to keep teams from hacking him in close end games.

cjm720
05-15-2013, 02:59 PM
There's a difference between being worried about a thin front court and being worried about how well we'll do next year. I think we'll be a top 25 program with 25 plus win with a great front court or without. Why? Because history tells us so...sure the roster's a bit short and we're thin in the front court and we're not the most athletic and we play in the WCC, but that doesn't necessarily translate into a disatrous season.

Coach Few and Co. get the job done year in and year out. We haven't made it to the promise land and that's obviously pissing some fans off, but there's no doubt we're close with the teams we've been able to assemble. Our time is coming (just probably won't be next year)...And let's not pretend to think Coach isn't concerned way more than we are...he's paid handsomely for that level of stress. But if a rabbit can't be found, he will find a way to compete for another WCC crow and an auto bid to the Dance.

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Joe Lunardi projects Gonzaga as a 9 seed in his latest off-season bracket. I hate to say it, but that sounds about right for this group. This is a veteran team that has some talented players, but lacks balance and depth.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

GoZags
05-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Joe Lunardi projects Gonzaga as a 9 seed in his latest off-season bracket. I hate to say it, but that sounds about right for this group. This is a veteran team that has some talented players, but lacks balance and depth.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Sounds about right.

Part of the ball not always bouncing the right way is that it seems the Zags have an "off" year (i.e. 7 to 10 seed) EVERY time WSU hosts an NCAA sub-regional at Spokane Arena.

titopoet
05-16-2013, 07:32 AM
Next year will be a reversal from the teams of E Harris, Sacre and Olynyk and a of being an inside out teams bit a reverting back to the early days Matty Bouldin days of outside in with more movement. If you remember those days, even our bigs were more perimeter guys ie Josh and Daye.

Coming into next year I was less worried about replacing E and Olynyk as both Dower and Karno are very capable bigs. It was replacing Karno and Dower's role as backup bigs. Though I think people will be surprised by Ryan Edwards. He will be called to take up space and give a blow to Karno and Dower. (Few would have loved to redshirt him, though.) With Karno being a good passer and Dower being a good three point shooter, look for GU to use less high low and more Flex and five out, which will open space for drives by Coleman and kick outs for three point shots. With Nunez and Dower as the bigs, you could have five three point shooters out there. Dower, Nunez, KD, (Barham,) Bell and Pangos could run sets that few has used since Matty's Sophomore and Freshman years.

Next years team is very talented and very perimeter based unlike the Harris years.

This team will play in a different way as the Harris teams. More motion and less posting. But next year's team will have better post play than Matty's freshman year and sophomore years. (By this I mean Daye and Josh were more stretch 4s or 3s play out of position and not that Karno and Dower are better players. Karno is a 5 and Dower can play both 4 or 5. They will be playing within their strengths and not playing out of position the way Josh and Daye had to. )

bigblahla
05-16-2013, 07:50 AM
The Zags are my team too!

Win or lose 32-3 or 22-8 still my team.

I guzzle the Koolaid but.....

Expecting a miracle transition by Karno in one off season isn't fair to the kid. Sam is who he is. 10 fouls to give in the paint.

Edwards and Meikle are warm bodies may change by Feb but not out of the gate.

As our OOC schedule is not complete it's not possible to project wins and losses but I think it's safe to say we won't be the favorite in Maui nor against Sparty at the Arena.

Do you "we'll be fine" folks consider everything to be fine with 5-6 losses in the OOC portion of our schedule? I consider it to be what it is and can live with it.

In the WCC portion we face an improved USD team and had better hope that Karno develops his "D" game before Jito Kok develops his "O" game. SMC will be a wounded animal and BYU may be the best of the three. I expect a 4 team dogfight and without a quality addition to the roster to call us the favorite would be silly. Some here don't see it and don't agree but we could lose 3-4 games in the WCC.

I didn't think we would lose a game last year and we lost one and IMO gave away two. I don't think my perspective is off base without a quality big as an addition to the roster.

The season will play out as it always does but our opponents will attack where we are the weakest, in the paint. My gut and past experience tells me neither Karno or Sudden Sam can stay out of foul trouble.

Coleman transferred to GU to play on a national title contender but instead of being the championship season 2013-14 was projected to be at the beginning of last season it will be a transition year and the direction of the program hinges on the outcome.

Talk all you want about 2014 recruits but I think the outcome of 2013-14 season will have major bearing on who ends up at GU in 2014.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

spike_jr
05-16-2013, 11:35 AM
I do not se us guarding the perimeter very well at all next year. Historically, Few has always sagged off of perimeter shooters in favor of clogging up the middle to help the bigs. Next year is going to be worse as they try to protect a very thin front line from foul trouble. If/when we run into a hot shooting team, it could get quite ugly.

sittingon50
05-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Can you say zone?

KD & Coleman both long enough to adequately play the point; Nunez better, if he can move his feet.

NotoriousZ
05-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Karnowski and Coleman.

Shrek could be amazing next year. I think we could see what we were hoping for last year with more conditioning and more confidence from him.

Coleman will need to help out big time in the rebounding department, and I think he could put up some great numbers.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gwYHTaLrVaE/Tll-XggAP1I/AAAAAAAABE4/WtmmduarTj0/s1600/xx.png

hooter73
05-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Betchya Edwards and Meilke are training their butts off right now.

sylean
05-16-2013, 02:14 PM
no one feels "fine" with 5-6 losses and no one is saying final four, but some of you see nothing but bad, when in actuality, it'll be a fun year...it'll be exciting...no gimme games...it is what it is.....not every year will the zags be rated #1 and we really DON'T WANT THAT EVERY AGAIN imo....the team needs to play as if they're the underdog every single game, because often they will be.....

Oregonzagnut
05-16-2013, 02:27 PM

Both Edwards and Meikle have a chance to have an impact and are looking like they will be needed. At least Edwards. I can see there will be equally good chemistry with this team but also a feeling of weight off their shoulders for the returning guys. Apparently the #1 ranking is a curse! So now we have that off our shoulders too.

Scheduling will be an interesting process to see this summer and how it relates to our projected line-ups.

ZagaZags
05-16-2013, 11:02 PM

But still would not be ready for Div. 1