PDA

View Full Version : Harris NBA Draft Thread

CanadianZagFan
05-15-2013, 07:23 AM
While Kelly is getting all the attention, Elias is working out and preparing for the draft. Here is a short video worth watching. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zZ8VobJXmM

U Zig, I Zag
05-15-2013, 07:56 AM
I think E would be a steal in the draft. As long as he plays within himself and hits those little bank jumpers and attacks the boards.

I hope he lands with a team.

:bishop_smiley:

cjm720
05-15-2013, 08:23 AM
He'd be a lock IMO if his 3 pt. % didn't take such a drastic drop this past season.

CanadianZagFan
05-15-2013, 08:32 AM
He'd be a lock IMO if his 3 pt. % didn't take such a drastic drop this past season.

This does seem to be an area that he is working on, if he can get into some team's NBA pre-draft workouts and can prove himself against higher rated competition, he could sneak into the second round and make a roster.

Oregonzagnut
05-15-2013, 08:35 AM
That ball handling drill around the key looks tough! Harris is an NBA player!! But then so was Casey Calvary......

CanadianZagFan
05-15-2013, 08:47 AM
That ball handling drill around the key looks tough! Harris is an NBA player!! But then so was Casey Calvary......

I am actually going to put that into a workout this Friday with some players I coach, simple but blends foot work and ball-handling well.

zagfan1970
05-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Interesting. Trying to get comfortable on the wing :) I've only been saying that is where he should play for 4 years! I find it frustrating that he can develop those skills in a few weeks, whereas coach Few didn't seem to think he could get it done over 4 years.

jazzdelmar
05-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Interesting. Trying to get comfortable on the wing :) I've only been saying that is where he should play for 4 years! I find it frustrating that he can develop those skills in a few weeks, whereas coach Few didn't seem to think he could get it done over 4 years.

better late than never for EH, but not for the Zags.

sittingon50
05-15-2013, 08:57 AM
I wonder where Kelly would be if he stayed on the outside & jacked up 3's, as was his wish?

hooter73
05-15-2013, 08:59 AM

An NBA wing but a College forward, its not a hard concept to grasp but everyone seemed to have trouble with it for the last couple of years demanding that E play the wing in college.

Ive been for lack of a better word, critical, of Harris saying he played himself out of the NBA by being such a solid college player but he really would/will be a great get for a team. My biggest concern is him getting blocked and stuffed so many times in the Tourney this year. That didnt help things at all if scouts even look at tape like that.

But again, he will be an underrated player for an NBA team just like when he first came here out of nowhere.

Bogozags
05-15-2013, 09:00 AM
I wonder how Kelly would be if he stayed on the outside & jacked up 3's, as was his wish?

Another Mel Counts!

Oregonzagnut
05-15-2013, 09:03 AM
I am actually going to put that into a workout this Friday with some players I coach, simple but blends foot work and ball-handling well.

Being ambidextrous is a huge asset in basketball and the younger the better to train the off hand to do things that the dominant hand does. Dower needs some of that. Seems like that drill also works on court awareness at the same time by having to follow the key.

Harris may not get drafted but he will get invites to camps and I think he will get signed this year when he plays in the summer leagues. Harris definitely needs to show he can play the 3 spot or SF spot. His 'tweener height is his main problem IMO. I had hoped to see him play some at the 3 this year so his draft status would improve. But not even Dower or Karno could put up numbers like he could so he stayed at the four. Now he is an undersized four in the draft.

jazzdelmar
05-15-2013, 09:04 AM
I wonder where Kelly would be if he stayed on the outside & jacked up 3's, as was his wish?

Fitty, i dont see the correlation....clearly no 7 footer wd ever play 2 guard....harris was a natural wing in the Big East mold IMO.....

DixieZag
05-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Fitty, i dont see the correlation....clearly no 7 footer wd ever play 2 guard....harris was a natural wing in the Big East mold IMO.....

Totally agree.

A seven footer has to establish an inside game and then move outside if talented enough as a bonus addition to his game.

A seven footer focusing on the outside will probably never be quicker or handle the ball as well as the 1-3 positions that normally hunt out there and therefore never make it as a pure 3.

Kelly talent went from outside in and as Few said - they would never take the outside stuff away, keep that, but concentrate on developing the inside stuff. Worked for Kelly personally and led the team to a great reg season

sittingon50
05-15-2013, 11:43 AM
My point is taken from Mr. Spock:

"The needs of the many are greater than the needs of the few. Or the one."

The Zags NEEDED KO @ the 5.

The Zags NEEDED EH @ the 4.

To use an analogy, consider putting together a Little League All Star team (which I have). Most every kid that makes this team is one of the best athletes on his team. He pitches & plays SS for his team (unless he's a lefty in the latter case, though I don't agree with this premise; but I digress).

You go to a tournament & want to win games it's a pretty good idea not to crowd everyone around those 2 positions. Someone has to play RF (though their parents will probably #####). You try to figure out which kids give you the best chance to win.

I agree that E projects as a wing but M. Few is paid by Gonzaga to win games for Gonzaga. It's not his responsibility to turn over a ready made project to the NBA anymore than it would be my responsibility to groom a Little League kid for what Eric Wedge may need somewhere down the road.

BTB
05-15-2013, 11:44 AM

Bingo!

Looks like Elias is doing good, he just might end up getting drafted after all!

jazzdelmar
05-15-2013, 11:46 AM

A less rational approach may have been Karno, KO and EH across the front. Talk about needs of the Few. 😁

Oregonzagnut
05-15-2013, 12:30 PM
A less rational approach may have been Karno, KO and EH across the front. Talk about needs of the Few. 😁

I agree jazz that lineup would have been huge, but now we will have Karno and Dower up front. Nunez and Dower will challenge for PF minutes and other than Edwards, our front court is strong but thin.

But next years team will rely heavily on the backcourt unless Karno dominates down low like Kelly did. Otherwise Pangos and Bell will have to shoulder the load and carry us with outside shooting and strong defense.

If they can stay healthy, Pangos and Bell as a tandem are poised to have a huge breakout backcourt season.