PDA

View Full Version : Few Pulling Out of USA U19 Duties

RRZagFan
05-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Sounds like he might be done with under 19's,this is from someone from twitter.

Rafal Juc ‏@rafjuc 1h
According to sources Gonzaga's Mark Few won't continue with USA Basketball juniors at World Championships U19 as Billy Donovan's assistant.

MTZag03
05-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Wasn't that the guy that we were all following regarding Karnowski when we were recruiting him?

rijman
05-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Wasn't that the guy that we were all following regarding Karnowski when we were recruiting him?
Yes, he tracks the euro players and apparently the USA Juniors coaching staff as well.

RenoZag
05-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Perhaps the time away from home was a bit much?

CDC84
05-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Since the season ended, Few has worked harder at recruiting than he has in ten years. I think this and the importance of the 2014 class might be a factor in his decision to back away from Team USA....for now at least.

BobZag
05-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Details coming at Sporting News, by Mike Decourcey.

ID ZAGFAN
05-13-2013, 11:59 AM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-05-13/mark-few-gonzaga-fiba-u19-world-championship

Gonzaga coach Mark Few returned from a family vacation to Hawaii and Monday morning thought about how it would be time to begin planning for his trip with USA Basketball to the FIBA U19 World Championships. Except he’s not going.

Few has decided to withdraw from the U.S. coaching staff. Last summer he was assistant in the qualifying tournament in Brazil, along with VCU’s Shaka Smart, to head coach Billy Donovan of Florida. All three had agreed earlier to return for this summer’s tournament.

Mark Few has decided to withdraw from the U.S. coaching staff of the the FIBA U19 World Championships. (AP Photo)
But Few told Sporting News the demands of this offseason – with Zags assistant Ray Giacoletti leaving to be head coach at Drake and All-American Kelly Olynyk entering the NBA draft – along with the 24-day commitment that would be required to make the trip would make participating too much of a “selfish” decision.

The U.S. will play in the U19 Worlds from June 27-July 7 in Prague.

“It was tough, because I had so much fun with Shaka and Billy. I became so close to them and we had such a good time,” Few said. “As much as I wanted to do it and be around those guys … it was all about me. It was just too tough.”

This also will be an important recruiting year for Gonzaga, with Olynyk gone a bit ahead of schedule and with starting guards Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell about to begin their junior seasons.

“We’ve got to pick up some guys and keep the thing rolling,” Few said.

More at the link.

ZaGranny

jazzdelmar
05-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Is it the heat or the humdity?

BMAN
05-13-2013, 12:42 PM
The Zags did fall in the NCAA Tournament round of 32, however, losing 76-70 to Wichita State. That the Shockers went on to play in the Final Four and lead eventual national champion Louisville late in the semifinals only reinforced that Few had a team capable of winning the title.

“We certainly had a team, especially after watching that Wichita-Louisville game, it was very clear to me we had a team that could have competed for a national championship this year,” Few said. “This was one of the first Final Fours I was able to go to and watch and say that.

“That’s the danger of that tournament. We made our name in that tournament, and this year it snuck up and bit us. It’s a one-game deal, not a three-game series.”

At the time they lost to Wichita State, the Zags – already suspect to many because they were granted a No. 1 seed out of a mid-major conference -- were derided for being unable to defeat a relatively unheralded opponent. But the Shockers’ subsequent victories over La Salle and Ohio State and impressive performance against the Cardinals removed that stigma.

“I think Wichita prove themselves to be worthy. They were very opportunistic. They were a hot team. They played very well,” Few said. They had Louisville dead in the water there; they just didn’t finish them off.

“We didn’t play great in either game. But we didn’t really play bad, either. When somebody hits 14 threes on you, that’s a tough one to battle through. Especially when they’re not known for it. They made the most of their moments.”

Zippyzaggy
05-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Because he needs extra time finding recruits.......oh suuuuuure.

That's just code for....he needs more time to spend fishing. He really is turning into quite the slacker!

LOL.....jk.

DixieZag
05-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Ok, well - no one can come on here and say that the staff is oblivious to the problems or not doing anything about it.

Whether they can actually DO anything about it is another matter.

But, sounds like coach gave up an opportunity that he really enjoyed - those are 2 other great coaches to work with.

Bogozags
05-13-2013, 02:54 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-05-13/mark-few-gonzaga-fiba-u19-world-championship

Gonzaga coach Mark Few returned from a family vacation to Hawaii and Monday morning thought about how it would be time to begin planning for his trip with USA Basketball to the FIBA U19 World Championships. Except he’s not going.

Few has decided to withdraw from the U.S. coaching staff. Last summer he was assistant in the qualifying tournament in Brazil, along with VCU’s Shaka Smart, to head coach Billy Donovan of Florida. All three had agreed earlier to return for this summer’s tournament.

Mark Few has decided to withdraw from the U.S. coaching staff of the the FIBA U19 World Championships. (AP Photo)
But Few told Sporting News the demands of this offseason – with Zags assistant Ray Giacoletti leaving to be head coach at Drake and All-American Kelly Olynyk entering the NBA draft – along with the 24-day commitment that would be required to make the trip would make participating too much of a “selfish” decision.

The U.S. will play in the U19 Worlds from June 27-July 7 in Prague.

“It was tough, because I had so much fun with Shaka and Billy. I became so close to them and we had such a good time,” Few said. “As much as I wanted to do it and be around those guys … it was all about me. It was just too tough.”

This also will be an important recruiting year for Gonzaga, with Olynyk gone a bit ahead of schedule and with starting guards Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell about to begin their junior seasons.

More at the link.

ZaGranny

You only have so many minutes in a day and it is so hard to do all that you want to do and still have your "head on straight!"

Prague was never bombed during WWII and is such a beautiful city with great food and IMO the best beer - Budwiser - better than German Beers, again IMO.

I hope his recruiting work this summer pays off, which will make the upcoming season just a bit less stressful...:)

gonwick
05-13-2013, 03:19 PM
How much time does it take to hire michaelson and either recruit davis or a juco? Maybe there is something secret and time consuming going on, but if anything this strikes me as recruiting desperation for 2014, not a function of ray's departure and ko's early exit. I wonder if it is a better recruiting tool to coach internationally or spend more time on the recruiting trail. I guess maybe the latter if 2013 is any indication.

gamagin
05-13-2013, 03:47 PM
he's got a growing family and they have all kinds of activities and are of an age where dad would prefer to be around.

I run into the boys of both Graves and few (i don't recognize the kids of the other coaches but understand they, too, are in the mix) fairly often while watching my grandkids. Both HC's are usually there.

Bottom line. It makes more sense to spend this particular summer tending the fields (and streams) at home as well as shore up the team by making some key management and player decisions instead of coaching in eastern Europe.

Anyone who may be worried that Few will leave one day (plus those very few who seem to wish he would), should keep their eyes peeled on the family. If THEY (starting with Marcie) are happy, MF will be happy.

If there were an opportunity to jump ship, I would guess that might happen when the young un's are out of or away from the nest.

One day, all those marathon parental duties (which MF actually tries to participate in as his share of that responsibility, from what I've seen) will end. I think that will be about another decade, but that's just a guess. JS has been at it in grade (st. al's) and high school (GPrep) since the day he retired from the Jazz.

In any event, those opportunities -- like U19 -- to our current coaches at just about any level will still be there, but the intensive, rearing years will be gone. I don't know how many kids Graves has, but one just took a schollie at (I think it is) Santa Clara (he's a sr. pitcher @ GPrep). A younger son is in about the 7th grade. Don't know if there are any girls. Few's kids are younger but are beginning to get involved on more competitive levels.

It's a balancing act every parent has to work. It's also something more and more parents seem to cherish and enjoy and really get involved in. It's no small deal to the parents and it's no small deal to the kids.

There are club and team sports and sponsors and a whole underworld operating feverishly out there amongst the Christians, and these guys and their kids are fully engaged and involved. fwiw.

Zippyzaggy
05-13-2013, 04:01 PM

It may be nothing, but....I have never heard him say this before. Is Few starting to panic? Does he senses that things could be on the downslide if he does not land some elite players? Where are the Pangos, Bell, or Karno-like signees?

How can we be better than ever and not have it help recruiting? If all it has helped us accomplish is coming in 2nd, 3rd, & 4th on recruit lists, it has not helped.

Two weeks ago it felt like we were licking our lips in anticipation of potentially landing BOTH Moser & Davis, and waltzing into the Final 4. Now it feels like we'll be heading into next season with nothing but the currrent caste.

We'll be just fine?! Yeah.....I guess so. How freaking exciting.

DixieZag
05-13-2013, 04:18 PM

It may be nothing, but....I have never heard him say this before. Is Few starting to panic? Does he senses that things could be on the downslide if he does not land some elite players? Where are the Pangos, Bell, or Karno-like signees?

How can we be better than ever and not have it help recruiting? If all it has helped us accomplish is coming in 2nd, 3rd, & 4th on recruit lists, it has not helped.

Two weeks ago it felt like we were licking our lips in anticipation of potentially landing BOTH Moser & Davis, and waltzing into the Final 4. Now it feels like we'll be heading into next season with nothing but the currrent caste.

We'll be just fine?! Yeah.....I guess so. How freaking exciting.

Funny, I took that as just the opposite - "we have to keep this rolling" as in number one seed, number one ranking - clearly a level that the Zags had not seen previously and now is the time to jump on that and "keep it rolling"

I guess it's all about the perch from which one views things

hondo
05-13-2013, 04:23 PM
As Gamagin said so well--How can you blame a guy for wanting to have a life with his family?

Isn't that what it's really all about?

Zippyzaggy
05-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Funny, I took that as just the opposite - "we have to keep this rolling" as in number one seed, number one ranking - clearly a level that the Zags had not seen previously and now is the time to jump on that and "keep it rolling"

I guess it's all about the perch from which one views things

LOL, re-reading this I can see how that looks. Perhaps it is me doing the panicking. My visit to the dentist earlier today didn't help mentor my "the cup is 1/2 full" sensibilities either. My apoligies.

Jedster
05-13-2013, 06:09 PM
I don't really see this as a "panicky" move, but more so as he sees this summer as an important and unique time for the program both in terms of this year's team as well as for the next few years.

Even with our bowing out early in the tournament, this is a great time to take advantage of all the attention GU received this spring. With some real high end talent looking at GU, it makes sense that Few takes the extra time to really cash in on what GU earned this year with the #1 ranking. If we are going to have a chance to get some of this top end talent that is showing us the love it makes sense to go all in on some of these kids. This includes Few being more visible this summer than he would have been able to if he was working with the U19 team.

Make no mistake, we need a big to help next year and with Moser picking Oregon, we've got to do the full court press on Josh Davis. One thing that struck me in TSSF's write-up of Moser's visit to GU was his wish to have spent more time with Few. Did it matter in his decision? I don't know.

If we can cash in this summer on some of the players that are genuinely interested in us this will have huge implications for the program moving forward. Let's build on the momentum we have.

maynard g krebs
05-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Now it feels like we'll be heading into next season with nothing but the currrent caste.

Brahmans, untouchables or something in between? Hope it is the warrior caste, or at least that upward mobility is allowed.

maynard g krebs
05-13-2013, 09:19 PM
I have a feeling that "panic" applies more to fans than coaches.

gamagin
05-14-2013, 06:14 AM
I have a feeling that "panic" applies more to fans than coaches.

Spring fever.

gonwick
05-14-2013, 06:43 AM
I think gamagin is right. I was surprised few coached last year, as it was out of the usual for him. What I don't get is why he offered up the reasons he did for backing out of an apparent agreement with last year's coaches to do it again. Maybe it is because both shaka and donovan have kids too. Everyone parents differently. Few seems very devoted to his kids, so his work probably suffers a bit. Others are too devoted to their jobs and their families suffer. We all work with both types. Maybe this really is about gu and he will kill it on the recruiting trail and bring in a mystery 2013 and find an exciting new assistant. I guess we will know after the summer what came out of it. I'm not sure what to think if we don't get anyone other than a juco and he hires a coach from within.

gamagin
05-14-2013, 09:11 AM
I think gamagin is right. I was surprised few coached last year, as it was out of the usual for him. What I don't get is why he offered up the reasons he did for backing out of an apparent agreement with last year's coaches to do it again. Maybe it is because both shaka and donovan have kids too. Everyone parents differently. Few seems very devoted to his kids, so his work probably suffers a bit. Others are too devoted to their jobs and their families suffer. We all work with both types. Maybe this really is about gu and he will kill it on the recruiting trail and bring in a mystery 2013 and find an exciting new assistant. I guess we will know after the summer what came out of it. I'm not sure what to think if we don't get anyone other than a juco and he hires a coach from within.

• I would suggest last summer was a perfect time to coach U19. He had his staff and Zags all lined up. He is required to have very little contact and everyone was busy training and practicing on their own. This summer the situation is the opposite.

• This turns out to be a perfect time to hunker down, take the macro view, rebuild short and long term, fill out the immediate roster and select his assistant. Of course he may have already done all that and we don't know it. I think it will be michaelson, fwiw. If the choice is between a guy who knows and believes in the system and someone who comes from another system, I think it's an obvious choice. GU/Fitz have produced (so far) 5 successful D1 coaches (Munse, Few, Billy, Leon, RayG) who have gone on to the D1 level from Boone Ave. and thrived. There's probably more.

It's a great, select, job. It involves joining a network of friends and basketball coaching nuts. Virtually all of them would not have gotten or created their own breaks without getting a start among like minds who trust each other implicitly and agree generally on what they want to achieve. And have achieved many if not most of their goals.

Dreaming about a walk on who will somehow sprinkle magic dust on this program and fill in what we may perceive as cracks in the system, sounds great.

But the notion that a very successful, winning, program should stop, or even slow down, to get someone to learn and buy into and then become an integral part of this program AND THEN (for e.g.) teach his specialty to everyone, seems in reality to be the hard way.

DD is an exception, imo. And maybe a new outsider would/could be like DD. That would be someone connected in the basketball world and intimately involved with his (now) boss and highly tuned into his philosophy and who was also looking to spend his remaining 5-10 years working in a great, winning environment, even if it is in Spokane. Someone new might perhaps be a mentor to replace the counsel of Fitz (RIP), Monson, Sr., & Heathcote. I think MF still talks with Heathcote. Not sure about Don, Sr.

But of all the choices MF needs to ponder, getting youth, energy and talent seems like the most plausible addition this staff needs. Just add water. The formerly young coach has become the mentor, now, to many Zags over the past couple of decades.

So selecting a top candidate from his great crop of candidate Zags just seems like the obvious, and only, right thing to do going forward.

DixieZag
05-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Gam,

Of your many contributions to the board over the years, this one manages to stand out. Very well thought out, forward looking and sensitive.

One of the bests.

TheGonzagaFactor
05-14-2013, 04:42 PM
I'd be willing to bet he was asked to leave, but I'm glad this is the story that broke.

Pleasant Peninsula
05-14-2013, 04:42 PM
GU/Fitz have produced (so far) 5 successful D1 coaches (Munse, Few, Billy, Leon, RayG) who have gone on to the D1 level from Boone Ave. and thrived.

Kind of disingenuous to say that RayG came from Boone Ave, don't you think?

And Billy G has hardly been successful, though I guess he does have that one tournament year (and win) to hang his hat on.

gamagin
05-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Kind of disingenuous to say that RayG came from Boone Ave, don't you think? And Billy G has hardly been successful, though I guess he does have that one tournament year (and win) to hang his hat on.

how many D1 head coaches have been spawned from any or all of the other WCC schools in the past, say, 15 years ? I guess you think RayG's six year stint at GU doesn't qualify him to be included ?

So what is your point ? The two former assistants didn't come from GU or they haven't been successful enough to qualify for my list in your book ? Why should I, or anyone, care, about this distinction without a difference ?