PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging...?? (at least the last couple paragraphs)

Schmitty
05-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Perkins adding major offers, interest

Josh Perkins By Josh Gershon
Recruiting Analyst
Posted May 8, 2013

Share on twitterShare on facebook| More Sharing ServicesMore

Josh Perkins' recruitment continues to expand, as major college basketball programs are offering scholarships and showing him interest. Here's the latest with the five-star prospect.

At one point, 6-foot-3, 185-pound Aurora (Colo.) Regis-Jesuit 2014 point guard had narrowed his school list to nine and was making headway towards a college decision.
A month later, Perkins was bumped to a five-star recruit due to his continued progression as a prospect and it didn't take long for major programs nationally to jump on board his recruitment.

Due to the major increase in attention, Perkins has scrapped his previous list and is listening to new pursuers.

Josh's father, Randy Perkins, mentioned USC, Creighton, Nebraska, New Mexico, UCLA, Gonzaga and Colorado as schools that are recruiting his son the hardest and on Wednesday, one of those programs offered his son a scholarship.

"Coach (Steve) Alford has officially offered," Randy said. "He said he's putting on a full court press to make Josh a UCLA Bruin. It's exciting. UCLA has history and it's the big stage, so how can you not be excited about it?

"I have so much respect for (Alford) because he was very respectful about New Mexico. He told me point blank, 'I recruited Josh because I think he's the best point guard in the country. The only thing that's changed is my job. I still think he's the best and I still want to recruit him. The best point guard out there for me to build with is Josh.'"

UCLA is one of several new schools to begin seriously pursuing Perkins. Kentucky also entered the mix in the last 24 hours with a phone call from assistant Kenny Payne.

"I loved the frankness of coach Payne from Kentucky," Randy said. "He told me that they were late to the game because they recruit differently than the rest of the country. He said, 'We recruit kids who are going to the NBA and we need to make sure they're at the level where they can play in the NBA.'"

Another school trying to enter the mix comes from much further east in Syracuse.

"Coach (Jim) Boeheim called me and we talked for about 20 minutes," the elder Perkins said. "Talk about a legend of the game, man. We're getting calls from Jim Boeheim, are you kidding me?"

New USC head coach Andy Enfield and staff have also done a nice job recruiting Perkins.

"He's such an impressionable guy," Randy said of Enfield. "He took a small school in Florida to prominence and he's coming to USC with those same expectations. He's a really personable guy."

All the new recruiting attention has only inspired Josh to continue to develop as a player, his father said.

"The funny thing is, as soon as I told Josh that Kentucky called him, he said that he was headed to the gym to work out," said Randy. "He said I need to get bigger, stronger and better. That's his mindset and he was in the gym until 11:00 at night."

New Mexico is the only school that Perkins has officially visited, which means there are four spots left and a couple of them look to already be locked up.

"Gonzaga will absolutely get a visit; they'll be first," said Randy. "I'm trying to schedule visits but there's a blackout period. UCLA will get a visit and depending where the conversation goes with Kentucky, we'll see. Coach (John) Calipari is supposed to call me tonight.

"UCLA will absolutely get an official visit. Josh is really excited about the Gonzaga and UCLA visits, and we're also working on visiting USC. It would be nice if we could kill two birds with one stone and visit USC and UCLA during the same trip."

Randy Perkins said his son would prefer to get his recruitment over sooner than later, but the plan remains to take visits first.

"You still need to have a process in place decision but at the end of the day you have to gather as much information as possible and try to make an educated

Just A Zag
05-13-2013, 08:24 AM
big gulps eh? welp, see ya later. :argh:

jazzdelmar
05-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Dad seems overwhelmed. UK and Cuse seem to be just kicking the tires. The arrogance of the UK asst coach is palpable. UCLA will be formidable.

DixieZag
05-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Dad seems overwhelmed. UK and Cuse seem to be just kicking the tires. The arrogance of the UK asst coach is palpable. UCLA will be formidable.

That is the takeaway that I had also.

Alford has the advantage of being in on him early and his quote about recruiting the best pg in the country sounds legitimate.

The way he said "Gonzaga" "definitely" - says to me that we are "definitely" going to be in the final decision group. They must be very impressed with Coach Few and staff b/c they sound quite taken with us. If I were the staff, I would be talking about the stability of Gonzaga's program every other sentence as an unstated shot across UCLA's bow - it seems like no matter who they bring in, something always derails the stability of the program.

And Kentucky? Good God, how insufferable? I hope Josh/family really think about that quote, "we only recruit NBA ready players - takes time to see if they are NBA ready" b/c what he is saying is this "we feel like we don't need to invest recruiting time into kids b/c we are Kentucky" and if they don't feel the need to invest the time before they get to Kentucky, why would they make a big investment in every kid once they are there??? In terms of valuing the student, I can't see how a school could be any different than GU.

NEC26
05-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Yeah sounds like UCLA is the one we should be very worried about. Cuse doesn't sound like a contender to me and UK only if they fully hop on the bandwagon.

HenneZag
05-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Well some tough competition. Although Kentucky and Cuse are very appealing I think it will come down to the west coast. UCLA and ZAGS stuck out to me in his interview as well. Josh and family seem like genuine people so the way they look at a school may be different then some...who knows, is a jesuit connection important deep down?

Randy stated that Josh would like to get his recruitment over sooner than later...well if we are the first official just make it easy and committ! ha

If Josh comes on board then he will want good players around him as well, im not getting too excited about this because we have been "burned" before, but a commitment from Josh could cause a nice lil Domino effect for the 2014 class.

The 2014 recruiting class has no room for error, we need a knockout class.

cjm720
05-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Not encouraging at all...I don't like this trend

r92238
05-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Over

HenneZag
05-13-2013, 09:51 AM
A player with 4-5 star ranking is going to get the Kentucky's and many other high level programs after them. When the likes of Duke came on late to try and sway the Big Pole he ultimately chose GU. I think it will be tough to get Perkins, but IMO its not over yet.

realtydog
05-13-2013, 10:02 AM
I know people will say that our staff and current team members do just fine in talking to recruits on a visit, but PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASE use John if he is willing. How does being introduced to one of the best to ever play the game feel?? This should be a must, especially for a PG recruit. I know JS once worked out a lot with the team--hope it still happenings---Would getting advice from the best PG to play the game weigh much in the decision?

spudzag
05-13-2013, 10:36 AM
These seems like a great idea to me. I don't know John well at all but get the sense that he would be willing to help if asked.

DixieZag
05-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Well some tough competition. Although Kentucky and Cuse are very appealing I think it will come down to the west coast. UCLA and ZAGS stuck out to me in his interview as well. Josh and family seem like genuine people so the way they look at a school may be different then some...who knows, is a jesuit connection important deep down?

Randy stated that Josh would like to get his recruitment over sooner than later...well if we are the first official just make it easy and committ! ha

If Josh comes on board then he will want good players around him as well, im not getting too excited about this because we have been "burned" before, but a commitment from Josh could cause a nice lil Domino effect for the 2014 class.

The 2014 recruiting class has no room for error, we need a knockout class.

There almost has to be a special connection with Gonzaga - whether it is the Jesuit angle (some have said that his faith is very important to him), Bouldin, or the staff's interactions - something has the hook in pretty deep.

There is never going to be a 5 star kid committing to Gonzaga without the UCLAs, U Kentucky (new level of hate after that quote) and Dukes all over them - I like where we stand, just want him to get here and then roll it all out.

Schmitty
05-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Like Dixie said, how can you not expect the big boys to be trying to lure him to their school(s)? He's a heck of a player. The encouraging words were that we WILL BE THE FIRST VISIT... That should say something. Uphill battle for sure, but the optimist in me likes what was said.

zagzilla
05-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Smell you later. Won't happen. Hope I'm wrong.

ZZ

75Zag
05-13-2013, 12:05 PM
When Coach Lloyd departs from his 14 hour coach-class flight to Nowhereistan in search of the latest undiscovered under-the-radar recruit and finds that the Kentucky/Calipari Gulfstream V is already parked on the tarmack, I think we can all agree that Gonzaga is screwed.

This is beginning to sound like that. I hope I am wrong.

Go Bulldogs!

jazzdelmar
05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Few is more charismatic than Stockton, all due respect, and kids don't know anyone beyond Westbrook and Paul.