PDA

View Full Version : Happy Mother's Day

vandalzag
05-12-2013, 10:38 AM
A great memory and a story that is the shows why the Zag program goes well beyond recruiting rankings and tourney wins.

From Today's Spokesman:

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2013/05/12/spt_12_wasson_t210.jpg?74a72ef94756bccc16ea1c78066 b52f96b62dbc7

• I think you may have heard of my mother, Emma Wasson (pictured), in connection with Gonzaga basketball. Senior Night 1999 is the memory of my momma at a sporting event that brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye every time I think of it. In November 1998 one of the moms of a player asked me, “Do you think your mom would like a jacket from the boys? The team really wants to give her a jacket.” I responded with, “I think she would love a jacket.” It was my mission then to measure her for the jacket, and to keep the secret until the actual event. Fast forward to Senior Night: we were sitting enjoying the pre-function when Quentin Hall walked in to find Momma and asked her to walk him out on to the court, as his folks were unable to attend. She was so touched and went with him into Martin Centre to learn what she needed to do. She was still unaware of the other momentous occasion that was to transpire.

As the crowd settled in, and the regular Senior Night Presentation was about to begin, Harv Clark said, “Before we start with Senior Night, Emma, you need to come to center court.” However, she was adamant that she was going to walk Quentin out and needed to stay where she was. Harv finally convinced her and she stood out on the court, as he informed the crowd that she had been attending games since 1972. He also told them what she done for the players in all the years, by providing cookies, bread, and dinners, and attending games in an era when the attendance was very small. As Harv continued recalling Emma’s commitment to the Gonzaga team, the student section starting chanting, “Emma, Emma, Emma…” She was standing mid-court, beaming, absolutely beaming. And I was on the sideline, bawling. It had all come together. The three seniors, Jeremy Eaton, Mike Leasure, and Quenten Hall, on behalf of the team, walked out to her and put this wonderful letterman’s jacket on her. One of her most prized possessions from that point on in her life. All I could think is how few people get a moment like this in their lifetime. And she was so happy, so touched. The picture that captured the moment is perfect. It shows the pure joy on her face.

– Mary Rose (Wasson) Hawkins

gamagin
05-12-2013, 11:20 AM
thanks for posting

TerpZag
05-12-2013, 11:31 AM
... All I could think is how few people get a moment like this in their lifetime. And she was so happy, so touched. The picture that captured the moment is perfect. It shows the pure joy on her face.

– Mary Rose (Wasson) Hawkins

vandalzag, thank you for sharing this on Mother's Day...

jazzdelmar
05-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Amen. Great day to all

TerpZag
05-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Happy Mother's Day wishes to all Mothers, Grandmothers and Mothers-to-be.

Have a "Zagnificent" day with your family and friends and enjoy your special day.

http://media.thebestof.co.uk/480/350/512dd1759da778567a000001.jpg

windycityzag
05-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Love the close knit Gonzaga community and a perfect article to celebrate Mother's Day.

Out of curiosity what ever happened to Harv Clark? Appreciated his work on the microphone and his distinct voice always brought break great memories of watching Gonzaga in the original Kennel before "the run" in 1999.