PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Did Gonzaga offer?

Malastein
05-11-2013, 07:33 PM
George King (http://www.ralphiereport.com/2013/5/11/4322086/george-king-buffaloes-2013-class) just committed to Colorado, and I've seen it mentioned multiple places that Gonzaga offered the kid. Just checking the veracity of the statement. In closely following both programs, I see a lot of guys who were recruited by both schools. Within a fairly short amount of time, it seems as if Colorado is doing a better job of recruiting higher end players.

Part of this keeps me thinking Gonzaga is ready to move on to a better conference. Hearing that Perkins may have bigger fish after him now reminds me of Zach Lavine. I get the sense if Gonzaga was part of a conference finishing in the top 7 RPI conferences yearly that they wouldn't have the same issues with the more elite players dropping them when bigger schools come into the fold. Perhaps with Coach Few being more active in recruiting this will change some players minds on coming on board, but the team has seemed to be 2-3 players short of having really dangerous teams most seasons. Occasionally they have been 1 player at a need position short like this past year and in 2009.

Kind of bums me to watch the Colorado program do better in recruiting than Gonzaga, but I hope both will be big time winners.

duper
05-12-2013, 09:41 AM
I think Zack Lavine went thru the recruiting process for fun more than any other reason. It would have taken a miracle to get him away from UCLA. I agree a better conference would help recruiting but without football we have some barriers that although not impossible to bridge can be difficult also IMO it could be detrimental to all the other programs at GU. Unless of course we only shoped around the basketball program again not impossible but it does limit the options some what.

VaBeachZAG
05-12-2013, 10:37 AM
If I recall from others on this board, the WCC will not allow all other GU athletic programs to stay in the WCC if the basketball programs leave. If true, this really ramps up the degree of difficulty in moving the bb programs to a higher quality conference. A thought I don't recall being mentioned so far is to approach the Big Sky (and/or one of the lower profile CA based confereces) to take all non-bb programs and the bb programs joining the Big East (travel challenges notwithstanding). Also, maybe BYU could join the Big East as well (yes, yes, I know it shatters the all-catholic conference profile) and be GU's travelling partner for conference play. I kinda' doubt the Big East would object to adding a school with BYU's sports profile (not to mention it's 21000 seat arena).

thespywhozaggedme
05-12-2013, 10:54 AM
If I recall from others on this board, the WCC will not allow all other GU athletic programs to stay in the WCC if the basketball programs leave. If true, this really ramps up the degree of difficulty in moving the bb programs to a higher quality conference. A thought I don't recall being mentioned so far is to approach the Big Sky (and/or one of the lower profile CA based confereces) to take all non-bb programs and the bb programs joining the Big East (travel challenges notwithstanding). Also, maybe BYU could join the Big East as well (yes, yes, I know it shatters the all-catholic conference profile) and be GU's travelling partner for conference play. I kinda' doubt the Big East would object to adding a school with BYU's sports profile (not to mention it's 21000 seat arena).

Sunday games are a non starter for BYU.

BroncoZAG615
05-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Nope, no offer. Some late interest from the staff but nothing more. I believe King played at an AAU event that Few was at while watching Perkins.

To be honest, until a prospect visits campus, the word offer is meaningless. As we all know, the staff puts a lot of weight on how the prospect fits in with the team.

Malastein
05-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Nope, no offer. Some late interest from the staff but nothing more. I believe King played at an AAU event that Few was at while watching Perkins.

To be honest, until a prospect visits campus, the word offer is meaningless. As we all know, the staff puts a lot of weight on how the prospect fits in with the team.

Yeah, I figured that was probably the case. Amazing how many offers are thrown around when it comes to recruiting.