PDA

View Full Version : Tramaine Isabell Recruiting Update and Interview

thebigsmoove
05-09-2013, 01:51 PM
We are running a recruiting update and interview series over at Zagaholic, thought you guys would be interested. Here is part 1, with Tramaine Isabell, the interview will be tomorrow.

Part 1 (http://www.zagaholic.com/2013/05/tramaine-isabell-recruiting-update-and.html)

Worthington
05-09-2013, 02:16 PM
I'm a big fan of his game, he's very underrated as I see it. Obviously, Perkins remains priority number one, but I would keep showing Isabell a lot of love because he is poised to breakout.

thebigsmoove
05-09-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm a big fan of his game, he's very underrated as I see it. Obviously, Perkins remains priority number one, but I would keep showing Isabell a lot of love because he is poised to breakout.

you hit the nail on the head

B LAKE ZAG
05-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Watched him play in state final lots of talent but takes bad shots and is very selfish tuns and tuns of talent. Very low basketball Iq great ball handler good shooter

jazzdelmar
05-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Watched him play in state final lots of talent but takes bad shots and is very selfish tuns and tuns of talent. Very low basketball Iq great ball handler good shooter

Nice.

vandalzag
05-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Nice.

Atta boy never break character

maynard g krebs
05-09-2013, 08:39 PM

Disagree quite strongly, except for the talent part. Only saw about half the title game, but based on that the worst I could say is that he can play a little schoolyard at times (think Pargo), questionable shot selection (fixable) but he's an excellent passer and plays well with the other kids.

A "very selfish" pg w/ a "very low basketball IQ" simply does not lead his team to the Metro League (best hs league in the northwest) title, a #1 ranking in 3a, and the state title game. And Tavio Hobson, who played for the great Phil Lumpkin, simply would bench him for the talented fr pg who backed him up if he played as you describe.

He's great at finding open shots for the 3 pt bomber on their team who is not a college prospect at all; doesn't have the body for it, just a good hs shooter. He makes that kid better by penetrating and finding him when the defense collapses, for just one example.

Thankfully, the GU staff has a better eye for basketball IQ than some on this board. His team didn't have half the talent of Rainier Beach, but they beat em.

If he's a fallback plan, he's a darn good one. Certainly not as you describe.

ZagNative
05-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Maynard, you always bring great insights here. Thanks!

2wiceright
05-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Maynard, you always bring great insights here. Thanks!

I'll second that. :agreed:

thebigsmoove
05-10-2013, 05:20 AM
Well folks, the interview is up. Enjoy!

Part 2 (http://www.zagaholic.com/2013/05/tramaine-isabell-recruiting-update-and_10.html)

jazzdelmar
05-10-2013, 05:25 AM
Atta boy never break character

Neither do you. Why not jump on the messenger, B Lake, not the reactor?

Zagdawg
05-10-2013, 06:56 AM
As a backup plan-- he seems like he would be ok.

Lots of mentions of UW players-- it seems like if UW wanted him-- he would be there in a hearbeat.

hooter73
05-10-2013, 07:21 AM
I love it when people talk about low IQ and have multiple grammar and spelling errors in their posts.

Inconsequential in this case, but it does make me laugh.

hooter73
05-10-2013, 08:37 AM
After watching the vids he definitely has some street ball to his game and could use some refinement, but what high school kid doesnt? if hes a good fit with the team then I see no problem having another scoring guard that can pass on the roster.

zagitup
05-10-2013, 09:33 AM
I love it when people talk about low IQ and have multiple grammar and spelling errors in their posts.

Nice. Post of the day..... :roll:

Zippyzaggy
05-10-2013, 10:48 AM
I like this kid a lot. Tons of potential, lots of raw talent that can be harnessed. Definately has the attitute. Interesting to see how much he blows up this summer on the AAU circuit. 10 offers already.

Question: What is he referring to when he says "O's upppp!" at the end of the interview? Anyone?

Terrific interview btw....

sittingon50
05-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Watch Few's interview after Alex Hernandez had a particularly terrific weekend vs Virginia/Indiana St. in the '01 Tourney. He mentioned that Alex had the ability to score "outside of the offense. It's one of the reasons we brought him in here."

There's a place for "different" in Few's system.

maynard g krebs
05-10-2013, 12:05 PM
I think I had a brain fart about Tavio Hobson. After I posted, I started thinking he played for Seattle Prep and not O'dea. So many guards from both- easy to mix em up. Too many lost brain cells from my misspent youth.

My impression after watching the title game was that Isabell is potentially as good as the more touted guards in the state with the exception of Lavine.

Hoopaholic
05-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Yep. He played at prep...he was a little tyke running around in the Irish gym though when I was there coaching and happy to see he is being succesful at something that is in his blood

BobZag
05-10-2013, 01:40 PM
I like Casey Benson if Few32 whiffs on Perkins and McLaughlin, but I admit not having seen vid clips of this kid.

thebigsmoove
05-10-2013, 01:47 PM
I like Casey Benson if Few32 whiffs on Perkins and McLaughlin, but I admit not having seen vid clips of this kid.

The good thing here is that there is a wealth of options to bring in at Point.

IronLions
05-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Isn't it a NCAA violation to interview him?

B LAKE ZAG
05-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Disagree quite strongly, except for the talent part. Only saw about half the title game, but based on that the worst I could say is that he can play a little schoolyard at times (think Pargo), questionable shot selection (fixable) but he's an excellent passer and plays well with the other kids.

A "very selfish" pg w/ a "very low basketball IQ" simply does not lead his team to the Metro League (best hs league in the northwest) title, a #1 ranking in 3a, and the state title game. And Tavio Hobson, who played for the great Phil Lumpkin, simply would bench him for the talented fr pg who backed him up if he played as you describe.

He's great at finding open shots for the 3 pt bomber on their team who is not a college prospect at all; doesn't have the body for it, just a good hs shooter. He makes that kid better by penetrating and finding him when the defense collapses, for just one example.

Thankfully, the GU staff has a better eye for basketball IQ than some on this board. His team didn't have half the talent of Rainier Beach, but they beat em.

If he's a fallback plan, he's a darn good one. Certainly not as you describe.

Lakeside lost that game both each team have a few division one players very good player sometimes. I was there for the game it would be 1 on 3 or 2 on 4 and he would pull up for a shot unless your steph curry that isn't a good idea. It seemed like be was 5 for 20 that game. Kindve reminds me of a perfect UW player

maynard g krebs
05-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Lakeside lost that game both each team have a few division one players very good player sometimes. I was there for the game it would be 1 on 3 or 2 on 4 and he would pull up for a shot unless your steph curry that isn't a good idea. It seemed like be was 5 for 20 that game. Kindve reminds me of a perfect UW player

box takes 30 seconds to find at wiaa.com. He was 4 for 9 from the floor in the title game. And I would guess most people would agree that Beach had considerably more talent overall.

I was referring to the fact that they beat Beach for the league champship.

Zippyzaggy
05-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Isn't it a NCAA violation to interview him?

Not hardly. I read interviews all the time obtained by blog X-Y-Z with High School kids.

Didn't read where he was pushed into making any kind of a decision either.

Am I wrong about this? If so, it is rampant. ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, Fansided, even Slipperstillfits "catches up" with recruits from time to time and asks questions/interviews them.

As long as you are not offering bribes, or trying to steer them to a particular school for example, I think it's fair game.

My bet is he won't be coming to GU anyways. He'll blow up this summer and land at Duke or Kansas, or, or...

B LAKE ZAG
05-10-2013, 10:11 PM
box takes 30 seconds to find at wiaa.com. He was 4 for 9 from the floor in the title game. And I would guess most people would agree that Beach had considerably more talent overall.

I was referring to the fact that they beat Beach for the league champship.

That was through the 3rd quarter if I memory is right he took more than 9 shots very good player

maynard g krebs
05-10-2013, 11:47 PM
That was through the 3rd quarter if I memory is right he took more than 9 shots very good player

My bad; he actually took 15 shots total. Unlike every other box score I've seen, the wiaa doesn't include 3 pters in fg attempts. So he was 4/9 on 2's and 1/6 on 3's. Five for 15.

I once attended a game where Gary Bell went 6/19 against Kentwood, and didn't come away with the impression that he was a gunner or ballhog. If you are the best player on a hs team, you are supposed to shoot the ball.

He had 15 assists in 3 tourney games, in 22 minutes per game.

B LAKE ZAG
05-11-2013, 08:43 AM
My bad; he actually took 15 shots total. Unlike every other box score I've seen, the wiaa doesn't include 3 pters in fg attempts. So he was 4/9 on 2's and 1/6 on 3's. Five for 15.

I once attended a game where Gary Bell went 6/19 against Kentwood, and didn't come away with the impression that he was a gunner or ballhog. If you are the best player on a hs team, you are supposed to shoot the ball.

He had 15 assists in 3 tourney games, in 22 minutes per game.

Yeah he took some shot where you would scratch there head . That was through the 3rd quarter. Still 33%. If you get good shots and didt make them then that's ok. My impression was he forced a couple shots

maynard g krebs
05-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Yeah he took some shot where you would scratch there head . That was through the 3rd quarter. Still 33%. If you get good shots and didt make them then that's ok. My impression was he forced a couple shots

Agree. Questionable shot selection as I said in my OP, and a little playground. But a playmaker, who led his team to a highly successful season. Results are what count. Fifteen assists in 66 minutes in the tourney (two games worth for a starting pg in college) isn't the stat of a very selfish player imo. Young kid; lots of time to improve the decision making. I'm betting he's a very good college player.

I just thought your original take on him was overly harsh and needed some balance.

TexasZagFan
05-11-2013, 11:35 AM

Inconsequential in this case, but it does make me laugh.

You're now ready for the Big Time...get your rear over to the OCC!!! :lmao:

Angelo Roncalli
05-11-2013, 11:39 AM
This kid got Lakeside to the AAA state championship game. That says something.

B LAKE ZAG
05-11-2013, 02:18 PM
This kid got Lakeside to the AAA state championship game. That says something.

Lakeside has a few other division one players to. Basketball is a team game. He will be a great collage player

maynard g krebs
05-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Lakeside has a few other division one players to. Basketball is a team game. He will be a great collage player

Pretty sure Isiah Brown, the fr pg who has an offer from Romar, is the only other D1 prospect on that team. I think the announcers said the big kid on Lakeside is playing D3.

Who am I missing?

ZagNative
05-11-2013, 06:08 PM
B LAKE ZAG, I suggest you throw in the towel on this one ...

http://benkatman.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/whiteflag_use.jpg

Incidentally, Isabell is playing for Seattle Rotary at the Nike EYBL in Dallas this weekend, with the schedule here (http://www.nikeeyb.com/Events/eybl-session-3-dallas-tx2k1/) and box scores for the first three games here (http://www.nikeeyb.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/TX130802.pdf), here (http://www.nikeeyb.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/TX130406.pdf), and here (http://www.nikeeyb.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/TX130409.pdf).

thebigsmoove
05-11-2013, 07:50 PM
...As long as you are not offering bribes, or trying to steer them to a particular school for example, I think it's fair game...

Correct

B LAKE ZAG
05-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Pretty sure Isiah Brown, the fr pg who has an offer from Romar, is the only other D1 prospect on that team. I think the announcers said the big kid on Lakeside is playing D3.

Who am I missing?

There 2 wings are D1 prospects to. Rainer had 6 or 7 D1 kids if I remember right

Zippyzaggy
05-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Question: What is he referring to when he says "O's upppp!" at the end of the interview? Anyone?

Still curious about this.....

ZagaZags
07-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Going WSU.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Isabell is very talented, as was on display in the 3A title game last year. It did bother me when he missed a pair of potential game winning FTs and couldn't seem to get his head back in the game. You could see him on camera pouting even as his teammates tried to cheer him up before overtime. Totally killed the team's morale. He just had to make a big deal out of the missed opportunity and didn't get over it. If he cleans up his attitude he will be a star wherever he goes. Dude can play.