PDA

View Full Version : D1 Transfers

cjm720
05-09-2013, 11:14 AM
To all the negative nancy's out there, what's better?

A) Being listed as a favorite landing spot by a high-profile transfer

B) Not being listed or even mentioned as a landing spot by a high-profile transfer

Just sayin'....

HenneZag
05-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Obviously I would prefer to be a landing spot.

But if it dosen't get us the transfer then it stings just a bit more.

Nice to be considered, but that dosen't help our situation.

BTB
05-09-2013, 11:21 AM
I would have to say not being listed. You don't see any transfers considering UK, do ya?

Zagdawg
05-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Doesn't UK have like 23 guys on scholly/incoming already-- so chances are they won't get too many transfers considering them.

BTB
05-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Doesn't UK have like 23 guys on scholly/incoming already-- so chances are they won't get too many transfers considering them.

That's what I mean, nobody wants to transfer somewhere where there is better players than them. If you have the best players then people won't want to transfer to your school.

ZagLawGrad
05-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Neither mean much

Section 116
05-09-2013, 12:18 PM
The transfer rule is not working as intended, or maybe as hoped:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/9258608/coaches-push-changes-transfer-rule-college-basketball

cjm720
05-09-2013, 12:20 PM
That's what I mean, nobody wants to transfer somewhere where there is better players than them. If you have the best players then people won't want to transfer to your school.

So you're saying Moser was scared of Karno and Dower, gotcha

jazzdelmar
05-09-2013, 01:10 PM

what do you think rival coaches are saying to recruits about the zags and the team's and coach's post season performances? do you think they are all above that? c'mon.

cjm720
05-09-2013, 01:16 PM
what do you think rival coaches are saying to recruits about the zags and the team's and coach's post season performances? do you think they are all above that? c'mon.

If I was a coach I wouldn't say anything about another program, I would only sell mine. And I bet that's what Coach Few did too...But that's probably not how some operate.

But your question has nothing to do with my post or you have poorly connected the dots. See OP.

DixieZag
05-09-2013, 01:18 PM
The transfer rule is not working as intended, or maybe as hoped:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/9258608/coaches-push-changes-transfer-rule-college-basketball

I am certainly on the side of the coaches with respect to concerns that college BB becomes too much like free agency if the graduation transfer and sick family member rules are abused.

I do wonder if they realize the irony in them lamenting a players ability to move around and "use" they system, while coaches can also move to another school, leaving sanctions behind and binding students who had been recruited by that coach to the school even if the coach is out the door. They should look at the graduation and sick family members rule closely but also should release students committed to a coach that haven't enrolled yet and also have sanctions "stick" to a coach that moves to another school.

75Zag
05-09-2013, 01:23 PM
I dislike the new transfer rule because I think it is easily manipulated by both players and the colleges which wish to attract incoming players who have a year of eligibility left after they get their undergrad degree. The theory behind the rule sounds good on paper perhaps but the whole "I have to transfer because my original college does not offer a masters in my field of study" is ripe for abuse. I enjoyed watching Drew Barham play a few times this last year but does anybody really buy the proposition that he could not have obtained the functional equivalent of a masters in "Organizational Management" from Memphis? Perhaps Memphis calls their masters program "Sports Management" or "Institutional Management" instead of "Organizational Management", but does the name difference alone justify moving players around in the NCAA?

Go Bulldogs!

BTB
05-09-2013, 01:42 PM

No, I was saying if Olynyk was coming back bigs wouldn't even list us as possible transfer options. The fact that we only have 2 forwards is probably a big reason why they are considering us at all.

But I do agree that if I were him, I probably wouldn't have been at all excited about having to battle for playing time with them.

jazzdelmar
05-09-2013, 01:46 PM
If I was a coach I wouldn't say anything about another program, I would only sell mine. And I bet that's what Coach Few did too...But that's probably not how some operate.

But your question has nothing to do with my post or you have poorly connected the dots. See OP.

that's pretty naive. and i wasn't suggesting few does.

this whole board is dotty. calm down, player.

GoZags
05-09-2013, 02:16 PM

I heard San Diego State is really playing up their grand total of 3 NCAA tourney wins (that would be all time NCAA tourney wins). Of course that's up from their total at the end of the 2010 season (their total at that time was zero).

jazzdelmar
05-09-2013, 02:39 PM
I heard San Diego State is really playing up their grand total of 3 NCAA tourney wins (that would be all time NCAA tourney wins). Of course that's up from their total at the end of the 2010 season (their total at that time was zero).

I think they made a sweet 16 more recently than we did. Kids don't know about ancient history or the real facts. And coaches prevaricate.

In 201011 season, the Aztecs were ranked as high as 4th in the nation and won their first ever games in the NCAA tournament, reaching the Sweet Sixteen.

GoZags
05-09-2013, 02:49 PM
I think they made a sweet 16 more recently than we did. Kids don't know about history

Of course when one is continually looking to put Gonzaga, it's Men's Basketball program, it's coaching staff, it's coaching staff's efforts and it's player's efforts in the worst possible light then it's incredibly easy to turn San Diego State's all time NCAA turney record of 3-9 into a huge, insurmountable obstacle.

I wonder how GU has ever managed to muddle to .500 -- what with their continued desperation and all.

jazzdelmar
05-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Of course when one is continually looking to put Gonzaga, it's Men's Basketball program, it's coaching staff, it's coaching staff's efforts and it's player's efforts in the worst possible light then it's incredibly easy to turn San Diego State's all time NCAA turney record of 3-9 into a huge, insurmountable obstacle.

I wonder how GU has ever managed to muddle to .500 -- what with their continued desperation and all.

GZ, I'm just calling it like I see it. In College basketball you're only good as your last season. I'm in SD, as you know, and it's considered a program as good as any west of the big muddy. Not sure what u mean by the .500 comment. 😜

cjm720
05-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Jazz, answer the OP if you're calling it like you see it....you know, the whole point of this thread.

You're avoiding the obvious answer for you continued masochistic tendencies.

jazzdelmar
05-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Jazz, answer the OP if you're calling it like you see it....you know, the whole point of this thread.

You're avoiding the obvious answer for you continued masochistic tendencies.

Ok.

I choose C. Being listed with a punchers chance of landing the recruit.

GoZags
05-09-2013, 03:14 PM
GZ, I'm just calling it like I see it. In College basketball you're only good as your last season. I'm in SD, as you know, and it's considered a program as good as any west of the big muddy. Not sure what u mean by the .500 comment. ��

How could Gonzaga ever hope to compete with a program like SDSU, who after all, spent a week in the Top 5 back in '10/'11 -- a program who have won 3 big NCAA tourney games in '11/'12 and '13 combined (coincidentally the same number of NCAA tourney games won by Gonzaga).

It's little wonder that the juggernaut Aztecs have been deemed the best college basketball program west of the Mississippi with stats like that. A whole, entire week rated in the Top 5 3 years ago !!! Little wonder that residents of that fine city's suburbs continue to pop off about that fact with unbridled pride and enthusiasm. Or that residents of that fine city get amnesia when it comes to their one and done the following year -- or their exit in the round of 32 in this past dance.

How could Gonzaga ever hope to complete with a program like SDSU?

jazzdelmar
05-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Blame it on Torrey Pines, GZ. Everything here is so idyllic.

maineblackbear
05-09-2013, 05:57 PM
not a bad idea--little coltrane, miles, duke . . . but i digress.

Jim Hayford, now the coach of EWU, told an interviewer that the biggest thing he wasn't expecting from his transition from Whitworth to D1 (a great move by EWU btw) was all the negative recruiting.

I remember him saying that it was everywhere. He was surprised by it. And this is not someone who was unaware of coaching beforehand.

And if Jim Hayford is a little shocked, you can bet your ever loving behind that every recruit talking to anyone about GU is going to hear about our early round flameouts.

Reality check out.

jazzdelmar
05-09-2013, 06:04 PM
not a bad idea--little coltrane, miles, duke . . . but i digress.

Jim Hayford, now the coach of EWU, told an interviewer that the biggest thing he wasn't expecting from his transition from Whitworth to D1 (a great move by EWU btw) was all the negative recruiting.

I remember him saying that it was everywhere. He was surprised by it. And this is not someone who was unaware of coaching beforehand.

And if Jim Hayford is a little shocked, you can bet your ever loving behind that every recruit talking to anyone about GU is going to hear about our early round flameouts.

Reality check out.

Thanks MBB