PDA

View Full Version : Frontcourt Headache

HenneZag
05-09-2013, 09:23 AM
At this point in time the only 2 Bigs on our roster that have the ability to produce is Dower and Karnowski. I know there is still a chance at Davis, he's visiting SDSU monday and no reports yet that he is going to make it to Spokane, so mentally im moving forward without him.

This leaves us no room for error, an injury happens and we are very thin, not only that, Dower is prone to quick fouls in a short stent of time when he sees the floor. So what options do we have...well looks like Edwards 7 footer from Montana is going to have to suit up right away for GU and perhaps 6'8 Meikle. Both of these guys I envisioned using a RS next season to gain some development as they will both need it.

So how do we utilize our rotation with who we have to get the best results assuming we don't get frontcourt help? At times we will have to go small on the floor. Pangos/Bell/Coleman/Drang/Barham (Nunez) when he becomes eligible.

Anyways this is no new development, just curious to see how we utilize next years squad with how thin we are in the frontcourt?

CDC84
05-09-2013, 09:27 AM
The staff is going to bring in another big guy if they don't land Davis. He will just be a Kuso-like juco big man instead of a stud like Davis. Not that this is a horrible thing. They can't go into the season with only two big man starters and a couple of newcomers who honestly need to redshirt.

HenneZag
05-09-2013, 09:33 AM
It will be interesting to see who we can obtain if Davis chooses SDSU. Hopefully we can snag a guy who has played at a high level so that he can contribute right away. Getting a player with lack of high caliber competition will require some more needed development. But beggers cant be choosers I guess. It's simple, we need another big body.

DixieZag
05-09-2013, 09:49 AM
I have little hope of us getting Davis either and I am basing that upon nothing more than what I have read here and how the "momentum" of our off season is going.

I know we desperately need a PF - nevermind "depth" - we don't have a PF in a traditional sense on the roster at all, I believe we can make up for KO/EH's scoring by changing our game to more guard oriented but we are in deep trouble making up KO/EH/MH rebounds and defense - - - and I know that I am not telling anyone something that isn't already known.

There is a part of me, however, that looks at how GU traditionally responds to expectations and how Few traditionally responds to diminished expectations and is curious as to what would happen if we didn't get anyone else. Having seen how poorly we deal with being "loaded" - I am curious as to what would happen if these guys were written off and not picked to win the WCC, not ranked and all that.

A part of me (perhaps the half-full rationalization side) wants to see this group respond to being told they suck and have no chance to be a top 10 ranked team . . . we all know what happens when this program is lauded too heavily.

BobZag
05-09-2013, 09:51 AM
There have been many years when der Zags have had three bigs. If it's Davis, great. If not, hmmm, don't know who it'd be. Don't want no Juco Junker.

HenneZag
05-09-2013, 09:55 AM
I will say that watching our guard play will be fun with the addition of Coleman. Also im excited to see what Nunez brings to the table..6'8 athletic and can shoot.

I am also concerned with our rebounding. Im not sure who will be the guy who brings the grit and competes with intensity on the boards, with Hart/KO/EH gone we take a major hit. But like you said lets see how they respond, usually when GU is an underdog or not considered a top contender is when they suprise. will see.

CDC84
05-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Don't want no Juco Junker.

Unfortunately, that may be all that's out there right now. I have no idea what's going in juco land at the moment. But yes, if Mamery Diallo is all that's out there, I'd rather use our freshman.

No sport punishes success like college basketball. The staff couldn't have possibility predicted that Olynyk would turn into a lottery pick in one year. The unpredictability of this thing can lead to headaches on occasion. You just have to deal with it.

DixieZag
05-09-2013, 10:07 AM
One of the most frustrating things to me is that if you drew up the exact type of player we needed to bring in for next year, in my mind that players would look exactly like. . .

Spangler.

A freshman version of Elias Harris would fit quite well also - but I suspect we may have heard some news if one of those guys existed.

CDC84
05-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Spangler.

Yet another thing the staff couldn't have possibly predicted. Headache indeed.

HenneZag
05-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Although he stated he was homesick...I don't think he predicted that Olynyk would have been gone this year, mentally Spangler probably thought he had to fight through a gauntlet of bigs to play, im sure that made his transfer decision just a bit easier.

77Zag
05-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Bol Kong may still have some eligibility -- sorry, just had to say it.

:horse:

Zagdawg
05-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Wiggins?

bigblahla
05-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Why are we grasping at straws?

Because both KO and Spangler should be playing this next season, the original plan A. The apple cart was upset when Spangler transferred and KO went pro. Plan B is Davis, If we get to a Plan C we are in trouble.

This isn't about winning percentages it's about winning games in 2013-14.

Seriously, if you are an opposing coach you attack Karno and Dower in the paint. I think it's likely both foul out of the same game more than once this coming season. Leaving us with........not much at all. There is no Kuso JUCO cure in the country for what ails us and I have been looking. We are more likely to get a Diallo.

No Davis and we might win 23 but keeping the streak alive in the Dance may be in jeopardy and we could be a 3rd or even 4th place team in the WCC having to win the tournament to get to the Dance. Winning at BYU, SMC, USD, LMU and USF will not be easy at all if we take the floor with the team as it is.

Our front line is suspect. I think both Sam and PK are fine young men but D1 starters they are not. However, they must play that role.

Both are poor re-bounders, both have poor balance, neither is a staunch defender. Both are turnover prone. One off season is not going to change that for PK and Sam is in his 5th year and he is who he is.

I bathe in the koolaid but think those who believe everything is all right in river city are delusional. We are in trouble without a Davis like player joining the mix as neither Edwards nor Meikle will be more than warm bodies next season.

I'll still think we'll win each game before it starts but without a traditional power forward we will be easy to defend and have to rely on guard play to pull us through. Any off night for the guards will most likely be a loss.

Just my opinion ( and I'm an optimist)

Go!! Zags!!!

HenneZag
05-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Deep down I think most of us know whats at stake. We were spoiled last year with KO/EH and having Dower and Karn coming off the bench. That is 4 quality bigs. We have 2 quality bigs next year that are unproven, and both turnover and foul prone. Saying that, Karn and Dower have not had the chance to be the main attraction yet. This is their chance.

We need a guy like Davis desperately I agree. He is gritty, ferocious rebounder, can score it, and adds depth that is clearly needed.

It's frustrating as a fan to sit back and wait. We feel like we are an appealing program for many reasons and some how find ourselves on the outside looking in for quality transfers. Moser had a tough decision, I get why he chose Oregon. With Davis you have to believe that the staff is putting it the time to land him, atleast I hope so. As fans we know how important he would be, im sure the staff sees it.

I am a bit discouraged with Davis visiting SDSU first, no mention yet if he will even come to Spokane. I wouldn't be suprised one bit if Davis is off the board by tuesday leaving us scrambling for scraps. Im hoping the staff has something up their sleeves.

DixieZag
05-09-2013, 11:24 AM

Because both KO and Spangler should be playing this next season, the original plan A. The apple cart was upset when Spangler transferred and KO went pro. Plan B is Davis, If we get to a Plan C we are in trouble.

Seriously, if you are an opposing coach you attack Karno and Dower in the paint. I think it's likely both foul out of the same game more than once this coming season. Leaving us with........not much at all. There is no Kuso JUCO cure in the country for what ails us and I have been looking. We are more likely to get a Diallo.

No Davis and we might win 23 but keeping the streak alive in the Dance may be in jeopardy and we could be a 3rd or even 4th place team in the WCC having to win the tournament to get to the Dance. Winning at BYU, SMC, USD, LMU and USF will not be easy at all if we take the floor with the team as it is.

Our front line is suspect. I think both Sam and PK are fine young men but D1 starters they are not. However, they must play that role.

Both are poor re-bounders, both have poor balance, neither is a staunch defender. Both are turnover prone. One off season is not going to change that for PK and Sam is in his 5th year and he is who he is.

I bathe in the koolaid but think those who believe everything is all right in river city are delusional. We are in trouble without a Davis like player joining the mix as neither Edwards nor Meikle will be more than warm bodies next season.

I'll still think we'll win each game before it starts but without a traditional power forward we will be easy to defend and have to rely on guard play to pull us through. Any off night for the guards will most likely be a loss.

Go!! Zags!!!

I wouldn't argue with any of this. I do think that it is getting close to worst case scenario - but it is reality based, no doubt. If we get no one to help, we would need to play a ton of zone (protect fouls) and need to do much of our scoring in transition and from the outside.

I think we have a little too much returning in terms of experience, depth and talent in the backcourt to drop us all the way down to 3rd or so in the conference. Other than BYU - I haven't heard all that much from the other schools that should terrify us. If we got no help at all, I would predict that we finish right behind BYU with around 25 wins and hope for a 10 seed or so. I think that is the most realistic scenario and could go up or down a little from there. Not a huge margin for error, that's for sure.

We really do need Davis and or Tommy coming up with a gold nugget in Europe.

But just like I did not let myself think that Toronto could actually beat Boston last night, I am not going to let myself think that Davis is here until a copy of his degree is in possession of the registrar and he is sitting in a classroom with a Zag shirt on.

2wiceright
05-09-2013, 01:14 PM
I actually find this whole feel of a little desperation on this board a bit funny, with all due respect.

We have no idea what or who the coaches have lined up as a plan 'B' if/when we don't get our top choices of Moser or Davis. Moser we lost. Davis is currently a 50/50 proposition and arguably the best of the two. By next week this whole thread might be obsolete. By August it will be!

I would wager we see two new bigs on the roster by the Fall (not Meilke or Edwards). One will quite possibly be Davis or a another Kuso like Juco(a strong rebounder). The other (IMHO) will be another surprise Euro that Tommy always seems to pull out of his hat at the last minute.

For what it's worth, Few and Co. are still at the reigns and we don't need to be reminded how they aren't concerned about the boards anxiety levels. We are going to be just fine, again!:horse:

thespywhozaggedme
05-09-2013, 01:43 PM

Go!! Zags!!!

Yet those who get paid very handsomely to make these prgonostications feel that Karno is a first round NBA pick after next season. But yeah, he's no D1 starter. :rolleyes:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/

Zagdawg
05-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Worse case scenario-- we do not get any other new players/transfers.

Options
Drew Barham 6' 6"
Angel Nunez 6'7"-6'8"
"Nunez will probably play the 3', but he said he's capable of playing any position except center."
Kyle D.?

Incoming Frosh (we know redshirts would be great-- but if they had to play--they could)

Lucas M.
Edwards

Keeping in mind it would be nice to have a 14 and 10 starter-- but if we have someone play behind Sam/Big K they will be coming off the bench -- so maybe a 3rd big by committe.

We know Pendo played the 4 at times for us when necessary.

Will we end up with as many wins as this year-- probably not-- but life will go on in Zagland-- we will be ok.

jazzdelmar
05-09-2013, 01:48 PM
a lot of rip van winkles on this board are finally waking up.

thespywhozaggedme
05-09-2013, 01:51 PM
a lot of rip van winkles on this board are finally waking up.

One man's Rip van Winkle is another man's Chicken Little.

jazzdelmar
05-09-2013, 01:54 PM
One man's Rip van Winkle is another man's Chicken Little.

or chicken soup......which we will all need more of in 13-14.

thespywhozaggedme
05-09-2013, 02:18 PM
or chicken soup......which we will all need more of in 13-14.

Ik Karno gets in shape is a 13/7 guy, easy, but if we don't land JD, then I am seriously concerned.

OZZY
05-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Well we could always play a four guard lineup with Dower and Karno spelling each other off...............seems to have worked for some teams before

For example:

KP
GBJ
Coleman
Nunez
Karno

or
KP
GBJ
KD
Barham
Karno

In Karno I trust.............

MTZag03
05-09-2013, 02:49 PM
I agree with Ozzy. We have the flexibility in our guards and finally SF to play a bit of a different style. And Dower and Karno are both quality D1 players. Even if we don't get a prototypical NBA PF to step in, we can do just fine. Like MDAbe said in another post, the college game doesn't require an NBA lineup and smaller players can play in other positions. He referenced some team I've never heard of from last season called Wichita State as an example.

Everyone relax and enjoy some koolaid.

cjm720
05-09-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm reminded of Theo Davis in this thread...a couple woulda coulda moments the following couple seaons but we always did just fine...

SteelZag
05-09-2013, 03:04 PM
I agree with Ozzy. We have the flexibility in our guards and finally SF to play a bit of a different style. And Dower and Karno are both quality D1 players. Even if we don't get a prototypical NBA PF to step in, we can do just fine. Like MDAbe said in another post, the college game doesn't require an NBA lineup and smaller players can play in other positions. He referenced some team I've never heard of from last season called Wichita State as an example.

Everyone relax and enjoy some koolaid.

The 2008-2009 squad is often mentioned as one of the most talented in Zag history. After JH and Austin Daye our next choice off the bench was Will Foster, Ira Brown or Michah Downs. The team will find a way to win. Josh Davis would be awesome though.

jazzdelmar
05-09-2013, 03:06 PM
The 2008-2009 squad is often mentioned as one of the most talented in Zag history. After JH and Austin Daye our next choice off the bench was Will Foster, Ira Brown or Michah Downs. The team will find a way to win. Josh Davis would be awesome though.

Micah wd be the best player on next years team.

Zippyzaggy
05-09-2013, 03:27 PM
I'm reminded of Theo Davis in this thread...a couple woulda coulda moments the following couple seaons but we always did just fine...

Wonderful. We'll be just fine...I'd kinda like to be finer.

Que the "feel lucky we aint Pepperdine et al" comment...

This run will not last forever, history proves that. So, while we are riding this fortuitous wave I'd like to get to a Final 4.

But we'll be just fine. And that's fine?

cjm720
05-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Wonderful. We'll be just fine...I'd kinda like to be finer.

Que the "feel lucky we aint Pepperdine et al" comment...

This run will not last forever, history proves that. So, while we are riding this fortuitous wave I'd like to get to a Final 4.

But we'll be just fine. And that's fine?

top 20, 25+ wins, hopeful auto-bid...that's fine to me. An extremely high bar for 350 other teams...historcial context is important too IMO. But only if we could recruit as easily as Kansas or UCLA...or have a coach who can coach...whatever.

DixieZag
05-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Micah wd be the best player on next years team.

Meech and Micah would beat next years team 2 against 5, right?

Zippyzaggy
05-09-2013, 03:51 PM
top 20, 25+ wins, hopeful auto-bid...that's fine to me. An extremely high bar for 350 other teams...historcial context is important too IMO. But only if we could recruit as easily as Kansas or UCLA...or have a coach who can coach...whatever.

I like toast with butter on it too. But I'd like some jelly on top. And before we run out of toast.

That's all...just some fine, premium, huckleberry jelly. Was thinking it was gonna be served this year...

jazzdelmar
05-09-2013, 03:53 PM

Meech was awful. Pangos five times the player he was. What I said was Micah would be the best player, maybe the featured player, on next years team.

flytiezag
05-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Micah would probably be most talented.but sometimes the best player is not the most talented we have alot of very good players that play the game right we will be OK!

btzag
05-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Micah would probably be most talented.but sometimes the best player is not the most talented we have alot of very good players that play the game right we will be OK!

So true. Micah had the talent to be a McD AA but never truly realized all that talent on the college level.

Shoot, look at Joakim Noah, definitely not a super talented guy but gets so much more out of his ability because of hard work and heart.

In fact have the Zags ever, seriously EVER, relied on talent to skate by??

bigblahla
05-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Yet those who get paid very handsomely to make these prgonostications feel that Karno is a first round NBA pick after next season. But yeah, he's no D1 starter. :rolleyes:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/

Spy not challenging you just saying....

They aren't Zag fans, I am. The hype means little to me.

I watched the kids game and a good coach will go at him and put him on the bench with foul trouble in 5-8 minutes.

If you want to discuss his game and show me my error I'm up for it.

He has lots of positives but his overall game at this time is weak. I can come up with more negatives than positives. How about you?

All the negatives are due to inexperience, condition, coordination and ability to function at D1 speed. In time with hard work he'll get there but one off season is not time enough.

With every ounce of my Zag loving self I want to be wrong so show me my error.

I want Karno to play four years so we can really see the dominant player he can become in college. I'm hoping he'll be here for three.

btzag,

Micah was on a short leash very similar to KO's his first two years. Many A zag fan posted FREE MICAH DOWNS!

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

BTB
05-09-2013, 06:48 PM
He has lots of positives but his overall game at this time is weak. I can come up with more negatives than positives. How about you?

All the negatives are due to inexperience, condition, coordination and ability to function at D1 speed. In time with hard work he'll get there but one off season is not time enough.

With every ounce of my Zag loving self I want to be wrong so show me my error.

I see more positives than negatives, honestly. He has great size, excellent footwork and touch for a guy his size, a good motor, and a very good natural feel for the game offensively. He needs to work on his athleticism, confidence, defense, and rebounding.

His confidence will come once he is off his leash, I'll bet. It was there at the beginning of the season. Athleticism is easy to improve if he's motivated, which he seems to be - just look at how much thinner he was at the end of the season compared to the beginning. Two years ago I improved my vertical by almost 10 inches in about 6 months, and I have to believe Karno's trainers are better than mine (the internet and myself). Defense and rebounding both rely tremendously on athleticism as well and will both improve if his athleticism does. But he will still need to put in major work learning positioning and footwork for those two areas of his game.

Another poster said he could very realistically be a 13/8 guy as a starter next year, and I agree. I'll even go a step further and say I will be surprised if he is not at least close to those numbers next year.

sittingon50
05-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Of course Micah would be the best player on next year's team! He's a 26 year old professional!!

;)

bigblahla
05-09-2013, 07:23 PM
I see more positives than negatives, honestly. He has great size, excellent footwork and touch for a guy his size, a good motor, and a very good natural feel for the game offensively. He needs to work on his athleticism, confidence, defense, and rebounding.

His confidence will come once he is off his leash, I'll bet. It was there at the beginning of the season. Athleticism is easy to improve if he's motivated, which he seems to be - just look at how much thinner he was at the end of the season compared to the beginning. Two years ago I improved my vertical by almost 10 inches in about 6 months, and I have to believe Karno's trainers are better than mine (the internet and myself). Defense and rebounding both rely tremendously on athleticism as well and will both improve if his athleticism does. But he will still need to put in major work learning positioning and footwork for those two areas of his game.

Another poster said he could very realistically be a 13/8 guy as a starter next year, and I agree. I'll even go a step further and say I will be surprised if he is not at least close to those numbers next year.

You see his future and so do I but it's not about who he can become but who he is now and will be in the 2013-14 season.

How is his defense?

How about his rebounding?

How about his positioning under the basket?

How about his face up game.

How's his dribbling?

Please share with me the positives you see.

By Feb he just might be that guy I sure hope so but it's not in the cards come Sept.

Go!! Zags!!!

SteelZag
05-09-2013, 07:30 PM

Meech is probably a little out of practice but it would be interesting. The Zags would only feature 2 out of the 5 on offense anyway so defensively the 5 on 2 would be moot.

BTB
05-09-2013, 07:41 PM
You see his future and so do I but it's not about who he can become but who he is now and will be in the 2013-14 season.

How is his defense?

How about his rebounding?

How about his positioning under the basket?

How about his face up game.

How's his dribbling?

Please share with me the positives you see.

By Feb he just might be that guy I sure hope so but it's not in the cards come Sept.

Go!! Zags!!!

1) Neither of use can answer any of those questions because we haven't seen him play in a few months

2) Why does he need a faceup game to be effective (especially in college)?

3) His dribbling seems fine for a true center to me, he has more ball handling skills than Sacre ever did.

I agree he has a lot to work on, I just think that he has enough time to develop into a good center by next year. Do I think he will be Elias or Olynyk? No. But I'm confident he will be much more of a presence offensively than Sacre ever was and at least as much of a presence on the glass as Sacre was.

bigblahla
05-09-2013, 08:21 PM
I just think that he has enough time to develop into a good center by next year.

I'm all for wishful thinking. :D

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagFanInNC
05-09-2013, 10:20 PM
I am not as worried about our size as you are... it will just mean we won't have a bigger front line than most NBA teams for a change. We will need to have Nunez or other bigger guards play the 4 in relief.

Few loved the 3 guard offense when we had an abundance of bigs, maybe he will try some Frank Haith 4 guard O every once in a while in their absense.

I really think the new guys should RS, you never know though... one of them may be ready to contribute.

SteelZag
05-09-2013, 11:04 PM
I've never seen Tarik Black play. According to all the pundits, he is right behind Moser and Davis as a desirable big man.

In reading about him and looking at stats, he seems to be a Sam Dower clone.

So, I guess my question is how would a 5th year player (Sam), compare to a 1st year player (Black) in Mark Few's system?

FWIW, I'm a Dower fan. I'm going half-full on Sam and hoping with more minutes he will become more consistent. Same goes for PK.

Dower vs. Black, how do they compare?

Bogozags
05-10-2013, 05:55 AM
I've never seen Tarik Black play. According to all the pundits, he is right behind Moser and Davis as a desirable big man.

In reading about him and looking at stats, he seems to be a Sam Dower clone.

So, I guess my question is how would a 5th year player (Sam), compare to a 1st year player (Black) in Mark Few's system?

FWIW, I'm a Dower fan. I'm going half-full on Sam and hoping with more minutes he will become more consistent. Same goes for PK.

Dower vs. Black, how do they compare?

Is he still on the table? He is very athletic, not a big scorer if memory serves, a pretty good shot blocker too. Think he was a difference maker against SMC. Don't know about his Bball IQ...anyone else have any more info??

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2013, 06:24 AM
Is he still on the table? He is very athletic, not a big scorer if memory serves, a pretty good shot blocker too. Think he was a difference maker against SMC. Don't know about his Bball IQ...anyone else have any more info??

Looking at his ESPN page, he went from 11/5 in 26 mpg his sophomore year to 8/5 last year in five less mpg. Why the decrease in playing time?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51260/tarik-black

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2013, 06:27 AM
Here's his game log from this past season. he looks like a really poor rebounder, he only had double digit rebounds in one game last season; the opposite of Josh Davis. Sounds like a less offensivly skilled Dower to me.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/51260/tarik-black

BTB
05-10-2013, 06:53 AM
From what I've seen from Tarik, he's an incredible athlete with very little basketball skill. He might have been the most athletic player I saw all of last year

bballbeachbum
05-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Meech was awful. Pangos five times the player he was. What I said was Micah would be the best player, maybe the featured player, on next years team.

awful. Meech had limitations all are aware of, but Meech also had strenghts, and played well against the physical matchups (his game vs. Xavier for example) like those found in the tourney, a consistent issue with Zag teams over the years, even tho most here prefer to forget those little things about his game; remember St Johns? and too bad no one else on the roster could guard Jimmer because once Meech sat down Jimmer went off and crushed our Zags from deep...Meech was 'awful' while gravely missed

Anyway, Kevin has his chance next year, along with GBj, to do their thing. It won't be a front court heavy team, both players will be relied upon to win their matchups every night, and for next year's team to win consistently that will probably have to happen. Going below 40% from deep won't cut it, and I think KP and GBj will step up to the opportunity. we'll see.

the question for me is: can KP and GBj get into the lane if it's opened up for them because of the offensive change in personnel down low? Not many opportunities for that last year, but with Sam spreading the floor and a legit threat from 3, there should be much more room in the paint. Can they exploit it? If they can, this team will adjust nicely to their new look. If they struggle at that, then the task will be more difficult

let's see what Davis decides first tho

DixieZag
05-10-2013, 09:57 AM
awful. Meech had limitations all are aware of, but Meech also had strenghts, and played well against the physical matchups (his game vs. Xavier for example) like those found in the tourney, a consistent issue with Zag teams over the years, even tho most here prefer to forget those little things about his game; remember St Johns? and too bad no one else on the roster could guard Jimmer because once Meech sat down Jimmer went off and crushed our Zags from deep...Meech was 'awful' while gravely missed

Anyway, Kevin has his chance next year, along with GBj, to do their thing. It won't be a front court heavy team, both players will be relied upon to win their matchups every night, and for next year's team to win consistently that will probably have to happen. Going below 40% from deep won't cut it, and I think KP and GBj will step up to the opportunity. we'll see.

the question for me is: can KP and GBj get into the lane if it's opened up for them because of the offensive change in personnel down low? Not many opportunities for that last year, but with Sam spreading the floor and a legit threat from 3, there should be much more room in the paint. Can they exploit it? If they can, this team will adjust nicely to their new look. If they struggle at that, then the task will be more difficult

let's see what Davis decides first tho

Good post BBbeach - - I am certainly not going to argue with the results of the regular season last year, but I thought that our back court was, if not "under utilized" then under appreciated. I thought that Kevin was the second best point guard in the conference last year and COULD have looked to score a lot more - - Bell, well he was either hurt or in a soph funk most of the year but I don't think many feel like he doesn't have the potential to be all conference on the offensive side as well. Both of those guys could average 14-16 ppg if they are called upon to do so.

Draino? One of my criticisms of Few is that the "leash" that kids play with is almost visible from the stands and it sure seemed to choke him often last year. He is another whom I think very few people don't feel like he has all the talent - like All-conference type of potential - if he can find it in himself on a consistent basis.

I think Barham will try to be a Mike Hart "lite" version but more aggressive with his shot obviously. He could be the perfect 8-10 ppg 6th man and will be a 5th year senior. Coleman and Nunez - I haven't seen play and defer to the others here who have.

This is why, despite the tremendous importance of filling the hole in the front line, I don't see this team falling back into middle of the pack WCC - just too many weapons, too much experience in the back court. Most coaches, if forced to chose between being weak up front or back would chose front - IMHO - we'll have to play very differently than last year, may have to use a lot of zone (which I have often thought Few under-utilizes based upon his philosophy more than results) so. . . oh and yeah, let's get Davis to come.