PDA

View Full Version : It's Gettin' Awful Crowded in Here

BobZag
05-08-2013, 02:07 PM
UCLA has offered Josh Perkins, and Kentucky has taken notice. Hope Few32 can do this, but it would be wise to warm up Plan B and C.

HenneZag
05-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Just a matter of time before the powerhouses started to take notice. Although I won't freak out yet, plan B and C is never a bad idea.

We need to get that visit ASAP.

hooter73
05-08-2013, 02:27 PM
The question is, what are plans B and C? Hope that Kendall Small can come in and be the point guard as a freshman? Sounds doable to me but still, we've gotta get some big time guys in here again at some point.

cjm720
05-08-2013, 02:36 PM
BZ, what's with Few32? why the 32?

BobZag
05-08-2013, 02:41 PM

Beats Few64. ;)

I'd never stop recruiting Perkins hard. McLaughlin needs to be shown love, even Casey Benson. Pangos took over as a frosh, perhaps Small could too. Hard to say.

cjm720
05-08-2013, 03:00 PM
I'll go with Few4 then :)

jazzdelmar
05-08-2013, 03:14 PM
I'll go with Few4 then :)

Not yet. It's an extraordinarily accurate nickname.

Ezag
05-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Despite #1 and #1 last season, we still can't compete with the big boys when it comes to recruits.....c'mon lets pull something outta this....

jazzdelmar
05-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Despite #1 and #1 last season, we still can't compete with the big boys when it comes to recruits.....c'mon lets pull something outta this....

Hmm, what do you have in mind, E? This is a G rated board, for the most part. 😉

Besides which, 32 trumps 1 and 1.

DixieZag
05-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Maybe some of you can help me understand this. How does it work in terms of numbers of scholarships available, number of offers for scholarships and the priority of acceptance?

It seems like an airline that oversells its seats, knowing that not everyone is going to show up - - how does a staff "keep" a seat open for a super star?

Sorry that is a little off topic, but I guess it goes to the need to keep lots of eggs bundled in lots of baskets. I dearly hope we get him but I also hope that people don't define the class by whether we get him or not, there are a lot of good players expressing interest. I don't want another Ridnour situation where Few got left at the alter and was depressed for 3 years about it.

siliconzag
05-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Think of the guys with that number:
Sandy Koufax
Jim Brown
Karl Malone
Magic Johnson
Marcus Allen
(OJ Simpson)
Kevin McHale
Dave Winfield
Steve Carlton
Downtown Freddy Brown
Elston Howard
Bill Walton
Franco Harris

and now, the newest member, Mark Few. Nice company (for the most part)

thespywhozaggedme
05-08-2013, 05:25 PM

There's a new bar in Spokane called "Fews" but you can never get drunk there because you have to leave after two rounds.

Does that clue you in on Bobs nickname?

siliconzag
05-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Examples
Yaz,
Yogi,
Cal Ripken
Steve Young
Joe Morgan
Troy Aikman
Kobe Bryant
and while we are at it,
Dan Monson

:)

Sil

thespywhozaggedme
05-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Maybe some of you can help me understand this. How does it work in terms of numbers of scholarships available, number of offers for scholarships and the priority of acceptance?

It seems like an airline that oversells its seats, knowing that not everyone is going to show up - - how does a staff "keep" a seat open for a super star?

Sorry that is a little off topic, but I guess it goes to the need to keep lots of eggs bundled in lots of baskets. I dearly hope we get him but I also hope that people don't define the class by whether we get him or not, there are a lot of good players expressing interest. I don't want another Ridnour situation where Few got left at the alter and was depressed for 3 years about it.

All schollies are renewable on 1 year basis. People don't want to admit it, but all coaches occasionally take advantage of this rule, even Few.

KStyles
05-08-2013, 06:21 PM
All schollies are renewable on 1 year basis. People don't want to admit it, but all coaches occasionally take advantage of this rule, even Few.

Multi-year scholarships are allowed now, though I'm not sure how commonly they are offered/given.

UberZagFan
05-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Despite #1 and #1 last season

Remind Uber, was it "#1 and #1" or "1 and done"?

primal23
05-08-2013, 09:25 PM
There's a new bar in Spokane called "Fews" but you can never get drunk there because you have to leave after two rounds.

Does that clue you in on Bobs nickname?

Lmfao

Vanzagger
05-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Be nice. I will get some of you kicked out of here. This is cyber space and I have that kind of power

Go Klay

Worthington
05-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Get to know Seattle's Tramaine Isabell. Very likely he'll receive an offer if we miss on the blue chippers.

Tramaine Isabell - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-8BPXXgJvo&feature=share

Bogozags
05-09-2013, 06:06 AM

Recruiting is such a difficult task...

Location, location, location..."team player"...academics...personality mix with coaches and players...mother/father/AAU coach/friends

...and are all factors and seems like they all have to align for recruits to pick a school. We all know Spokane isn't the top vacation spot in the country let alone a place where Bball players gravitate too!

We all have heard the stories on how GU is a "family atmosphere" and players always come back to either live or visit and of course play throughout the summer...to me this is one of the strong selling points if GU's recruiting process.

We must get recruits to visit GU and if we can't do that, then it is unlikely that kids will commit.

Perkins is a pretty decent high school Bball player and it appears Coach Few is all over him BUT it just seem like a virtual impossibility to compete with UCLA, UK, KU, and Duke when they want a kid.

I always get excited after the season because we all discuss which kids we are recruiting and think will make great additions to the program and then reality sets in...I hope we are able to get at least one Top 100 kid to come in next year and then hopefully a couple of talented three-star recruits to fill in at the SF/PF positions.

Maybe I am not optimistic enough and just totally wrong on how I see the GU recruiting process shaping up each year...I'm sure several board members will let me know exactly how far off base I am...

mnzag24
05-09-2013, 06:10 AM

ALL coaches take advantage of this rule. it is more prevalent in football, but it essentially allows a school to pull a schollie last minute, prior to signing the LOI. it does not get much attention, but its a big deal.

Zags11
05-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Funny. The double standards on here. Certain posters can post what they want, attack who they want and name call other posters and not even a warning.

Other "Lesser" Posters can provide facts, make a joke and when get name called...jokingly make jokes back. These "Lesser" Posters get warned, banned, taken to a island of Seclusion and hated on.

Maybe its cuz they throw subliminal jabs.

Few Rd of 32...wait...dont ban me. :D

ZagNative
05-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Don't know where to post this, but for the record:
Josh Gershon ‏@JoshGershon

2014 Los Angeles Brentwood PG Tra Holder just committed to Arizona State during his unofficial visit, per @RyanSilver1.

Zippyzaggy
05-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Can't remember when the last GU recruit committed while on his visit.....it's been awhile. *sigh

ZagNative
05-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Damn! I liked this guy ...
Hoopniks ‏@Hoopniks

Colorado adds spring riser '13 wing George King to complete 2013 recruiting class

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
05-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Not yet. It's an extraordinarily accurate nickname.

Hahaha "Few32" takes going fishing to a whole different level.

Funny stuff...

Go Zags but it could be Boise next year making the run? LOL

gamagin
05-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Recruiting is such a difficult task... Location, location, location..."

We all know Spokane isn't the top vacation spot in the country let alone a place where Bball players gravitate too!

We all have heard the stories on how GU is a "family atmosphere" and players always come back to either live or visit and of course play throughout the summer...to me this is one of the strong selling points if GU's recruiting process.

We must get recruits to visit GU and if we can't do that, then it is unlikely that kids will commit.

http://www.complex.com/city-guide/2013/05/10-cheap-cities-to-move-to-after-college/spokane-wa