PDA

View Full Version : Tulane forward Josh Davis has narrowed his list of schools to Gonzaga & San Diego St

Ezag
05-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Tulane forward Josh Davis has narrowed his list of schools he might play for next season down to San Diego State and Gonzaga, according to a report at utsandiego.com (http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/apr/24/sdsu-basketball-tulane-transfer-josh-davis/).

DixieZag
05-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Well, at least he assumes he is graduating before next season. Perhaps he needs to have a quick "get on the same page" meeting with the Tulane registrars office.

Nice to have some good news today, sorta.

KStyles
05-07-2013, 03:13 PM
I believe that utsandiego.com report (dated Apr. 24) was the one discussed in this thread (http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?t=45938)

jazzdelmar
05-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Sadly, yes.

DixieZag
05-07-2013, 03:16 PM
I believe that utsandiego.com report (dated Apr. 24) was the one discussed in this thread (http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?t=45938)

So even today's "good news" is really "yesterday's news"?

Next we are going to hear that Pangos is transferring to the Univ. of Toronto.

jimmy b
05-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Bud Withers mentioned it this afternoon, so maybe all is not old news.

Davis should be better for zags imo.

madness
05-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Bud Withers mentioned it this afternoon, so maybe all is not old news.

Davis should be better for zags imo.

I agree with this statement...I hope Davis sees a better opportunity with the Zags than SD St

CDC84
05-08-2013, 07:40 AM
I have always felt - based on things I've heard - that Gonzaga was in a better position to land Davis than Moser. Not that they didn't have a chance with Moser as well. I have no idea which guy will end up being the better player next season. But if forced to pick between the two, I would choose Davis because of his proven production last season. Although I expect Moser to regain much of his sophomore excellence at Oregon next season, you just don't know. He's coming off an injury plagued season where he was never able to get into a groove. Davis' numbers last season - 17.6 PPG, 10.7 RPG - were awfully impressive. The rebounding especially, which is the area where Gonzaga really needs help next season.

HenneZag
05-08-2013, 07:51 AM
The more video I have watched over the last couple of days on Davis has me very excited about the possibility of him coming aboard. He has a relentless motor, excellent rebounding, can score, he has some decent handles as well, definately a step up from Elias Harris IMO when he drives into the lane, not saying he's better then EH, but has better handles.

Honestly I would take Davis over Moser, so I am not discouraged yet, only if we don't get Davis then I may be a little bit concerned for 2013. Deep down I felt that we wouldn't get Moser, a local to Oregon and a program on the rise, excellent flashy facilities etc...

cjm720
05-08-2013, 07:53 AM
I'd take either in a heart beat but the fact that we not only lose KO and Harris but our do-everything, all-out-hustler player in Mike Hart makes me lean toward Davis...that constant motor and a nose for the ball is what this team really could use. Add to that a couple in your face jams, and it'll be another fun season.

HenneZag
05-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Hart is a guy that I don't think we will realize the impact he had until next season. Someone needs to be able to step in and provide some stability here. Last year we could afford to have Hart out on the floor because we had a multiple of scoring options at any given time. Next year will be different. If Coleman is as good as advertised, and Nunez the 2nd half of the season can come in and make an impact then I think we will be pleasintly suprised with next years squad. Just so many unknowns at this time. Definately a different style of team for 2013-14.

Our guards will be great, improved with the addition of Coleman, Dranginis hopefully continues to evolve into a viable option, and GB starts to be consistent. Im worried about our frontcourt depth, as of right now we have no room for error, an injury would be devastating.

75Zag
05-08-2013, 08:08 AM
I would gladly welcome Davis to GU for his remaining year of eligibility, but it seems unlikely. As a GU alum and someone who grew up in North Central WA I can appreciate everything that Spokane has to offer, but it boggles my mind that a very talented young black man from Raleigh NC by way of New Orleans, LA would suddenly decide to move to Spokane for a year. San Diego maybe since they have such great weather and beaches (and bikinis) but Spokane??? Really???

I believe in dreaming the impossible dream (and I am still waiting for that call from Scarlett J.) but this one seems over the top - even for me.

Hope I am wrong.

Go Bulldogs!

HenneZag
05-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Although the beaches and nice weather are appealing...I think Davis is looking at a place where he can play for a high-caliber program and further develop his skills to put him in a spot to play at the next level. If this is what is important to him then I believe he makes a basketball decision based on what I just mentioned. If not, then yeah maybe he goes where the bikinis are out in full force. I am not worried about location with Davis, more about him getting cleared academically.

CDC84
05-08-2013, 08:53 AM
I would gladly welcome Davis to GU for his remaining year of eligibility, but it seems unlikely. As a GU alum and someone who grew up in North Central WA I can appreciate everything that Spokane has to offer, but it boggles my mind that a very talented young black man from Raleigh NC by way of New Orleans, LA would suddenly decide to move to Spokane for a year. San Diego maybe since they have such great weather and beaches (and bikinis) but Spokane??? Really???

The kid has been stuck at Tulane. I have to believe he wants to win at a high level, and next year's GU team has a lot more upside than SDSU's team does if he commits. He's got one more year of eligibility left. This is his last chance. I just can't see him selecting a school based on the weather and "scenery." Especially a kid like this who plays with fire on the basketball floor.

ZagLawGrad
05-08-2013, 08:54 AM
[QUOTE=HenneZag;911579]...I think Davis is looking at a place where he can play for a high-caliber program and further develop his skills to put him in a spot to play at the next level. QUOTE]

Based on what?

ZagLawGrad
05-08-2013, 08:55 AM
The kid has been stuck at Tulane. I have to believe he wants to win at a high level, and next year's GU team has a lot more upside than SDSU's team does if he commits. He's got one more year of eligibility left. This is his last chance. I just can't see him selecting a school based on the weather and "scenery."

Pretty girls and warm beaches can have an effect on the younger crowd. But I hope you are right.

jazzdelmar
05-08-2013, 08:57 AM
The kid has been stuck at Tulane for the past three years. I have to believe he wants to win at a high level, and next year's GU team has a lot more upside than SDSU's team does if he commits. He's got one more year of eligibility left. This is his last chance. I just can't see him selecting a school based on the weather and "scenery."

here State is seen as still a solid NCAA club, surely the equal of next year's bereft-of-transfers Zag team. not sure the beaches and the bikinis will be major factors but SDSU is a well coached, well run, very popular (12,000 sellouts) program with a decent NBA record. Kawhi Leonards play now cant hurt.

Fisher is a transfer friendly coach as well....most of his better players have been transfers. If its really between GU and SDSU I think the Aztecs get him.

CDC84
05-08-2013, 09:00 AM
If these things were really important to serious basketball players, Hawaii would be recruiting like Kentucky does.

Some of the best programs in the country are located in terrible places that are much worse than Spokane. It has often been said that Jim Boeheim's grumpy nature is largely attributed to being a Syracuse resident for decades. That place is the pits, but despite warm weather options, great players go there. Yes, I realize that 'Cuse is a super elite program and GU isn't, but still.

HenneZag
05-08-2013, 09:04 AM
based on my opinion. If he had 2-3 years of eligibility then I would be worried about location possibly. But im assuming his long term goal is to play in the NBA... So with one year left for him to hone in on his skills and set himself up for the next level I believe that he would base his decision on what school would fit his long term goal the best. That is all im basing it on. No fact.

cjm720
05-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Fisher's got an NCAA ring...huge selling point too. Don't like our chances, but long-term am very optimistic of the program since just a few years ago we wouldn't even sniff a high caliber player's transfer list....

ZagLawGrad
05-08-2013, 09:19 AM
My money is on SDST. Zags poor showing in March has to have taken some of the shine off the program.

CDC84
05-08-2013, 09:20 AM
here State is seen as still a solid NCAA club, surely the equal of next year's bereft-of-transfers Zag team. not sure the beaches and the bikinis will be major factors but SDSU is a well coached, well run, very popular (12,000 sellouts) program with a decent NBA record. Kawhi Leonards play now cant hurt.

Fisher is a transfer friendly coach as well....most of his better players have been transfers. If its really between GU and SDSU I think the Aztecs get him.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with your assessment of SDSU's team next year. The heart and soul of their team was Jamaal Franklin. He's gone to the NBA. Chase Tapley is gone, who was their 2nd leading scoring last year. James Rahon and Deshawn Stephens, two other key rotation players, are gone. This was a team that wasn't nearly as good as Gonzaga last year and was atrocious on offense. They do defend, though, and I agree, Fisher can coach and they have a good history with transfers.

I still say that if winning matters most, Gonzaga is the better choice for Mr. Davis. He will win at a higher level if he chooses GU.

If he prefers beaches and scenery, GU doesn't want him anyway. But my sense is that he is going to choose based on what's best for him based on basketball, and of course, education.

My money is on SDST. Zags poor showing in March has to have taken some of the shine off the program.

Gonzaga was the number one team in the country and a number one seed in the NCAA's last March. That matters, greatly, despite the early exit. It's not like SDSU has been a great tournament success. As a national brand name, Gonzaga is superior to any team in the Mountain West Conference, period. They should and most often will beat team's like SDSU for high level players. They simply aren't as good as Gonzaga. I mean, there is a reason why Skylar Spencer is playing for them and not Gonzaga.

jazzdelmar
05-08-2013, 09:25 AM
I wouldn't necessarily agree with your assessment of SDSU's team next year. The heart and soul of their team was Jamaal Franklin. He's gone to the NBA. Chase Tapley is gone, who was their 2nd leading scoring last year. James Rahon and Deshawn Stephens, two other key rotation players, are gone. This was a team that wasn't nearly as good as Gonzaga last year and was atrocious on offense. They do defend, though, and I agree, Fisher can coach and they have a good history with transfers.

I still say that if winning matters most, Gonzaga is the better choice for Mr. Davis. He will win at a higher level if he chooses GU.

If he prefers beaches and scenery, GU doesn't want him anyway. But my sense is that he is going to choose based on what's best for him based on basketball, and of course, education.

Fish has some redshirts and transfers who can play. Matt Shrigley, a local kid, is one. Jamaal is addition by subtraction, IMO. Plusses for SDSU: Fish; 12,000 sellouts in a mid major city; track record w transfers and most imp of all a clearly superior conference.

HenneZag
05-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Coleman and Nunez. Both can play at a high level and bring a nice element to next years squad.

jazzdelmar
05-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Coleman and Nunez. Both can play at a high level and bring a nice element to next years squad.

coleman for sure...nunez? jury still way out.......i think MWC v WCC is key though.

ZagLawGrad
05-08-2013, 09:30 AM
...most imp of all a clearly superior conference.

I know this has never been brought up before in the history of GUB, but let's move to that conference.

CDC84
05-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Jazz - The MWC is not the ACC, Big 10 or Big 12. They proved that last March. They were a total RPI manipulating paper tiger. Are they a better league than the WCC? Certainly. The Zags have been taking players away from better conferences for years and years and years. And they've been taking them away from far superior programs than SDSU. I don't think the MWC is going to play any factor in his school choice. Besides, most of the country never got to see any of those teams play last year with all their games stuck on CBS Sports Network.

I say all of this, but still wouldn't be surprised if Davis chooses SDSU. It's certainly a good choice. But I do feel GU stands a better chance of getting Davis than they did getting Moser.

HenneZag
05-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Definately a player with skill, highly touted that didn't fit in the Pitino system @ Louisville. If he finds a knack in our system I think we will be pleasantly suprised.

As far as the MWC vs WCC, I would lean towards the MWC being slightly stronger at this point. But I wouldn't be certain that Davis would base his decision solely on strength of conference. Our ooc schedule makes up for the lack of competition throughout some of the games we play in the WCC.

Will see, Davis would provide a much needed boost for GU, fingers crossed.

BobZag
05-08-2013, 09:43 AM
I vant Davis and so does Few32 and staff. As a fan, just hoping they can make it happen. Ve need vim.

jazzdelmar
05-08-2013, 09:55 AM
I vant Davis and so does Few32 and staff. As a fan, just hoping they can make it happen. Ve need vim.

i want royalties....

jazzdelmar
05-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Jazz - The MWC is not the ACC, Big 10 or Big 12. They proved that last March. They were a total RPI manipulating paper tiger. Are they a better league than the WCC? Certainly. The Zags have been taking players away from better conferences for years and years and years. And they've been taking them away from far superior programs than SDSU. I don't think the MWC is going to play any factor in his school choice. Besides, most of the country never got to see any of those teams play last year with all their games stuck on CBS Sports Network.

I say all of this, but still wouldn't be surprised if Davis chooses SDSU. It's certainly a good choice. But I do feel GU stands a better chance of getting Davis than they did getting Moser.

good pts, C, but we have a player who has one precious season left to shine...and while the MWC has its Wyomings and Colo St the WCC is full of backwaters where no one will be watching....plus SDSU sells out @ 12,000 every game and I believe they have buffed up their OOC sked preparatory to joing the BE (since rescinded). chances w Davis are same as they were w Moser....GU is an alternate pick.

BTB
05-08-2013, 10:04 AM
I don't think the MWC is going to play any factor in his school choice.

The MWC might not be a factor, but the WCC definitely is

tlark420
05-08-2013, 10:09 AM
i like davis better overall for the team since it sounded like moser needed to be the guy... davis sounds like he could slide into team basketball without a chemistry issue

DixieZag
05-08-2013, 10:55 AM
The MWC might not be a factor, but the WCC definitely is

Not to get into the "find a new conference" argument, I just want to say that I think this is an insightful nugget. I don't think that the MWC is a "drawing factor" in a situation like this - - but IF either conference IS a consideration in his decision making, then the WCC is a drawback.

Fortunately, I think we have many other important factors that will weigh more heavily.

I hope we get him. It sounds like a "win - win" situation for the school and young man. Alas, like with Moser, it sounds like he has limited himself to good choices either way.

BTB
05-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Not to get into the "find a new conference" argument, I just want to say that I think this is an insightful nugget. I don't think that the MWC is a "drawing factor" in a situation like this - - but IF either conference IS a consideration in his decision making, then the WCC is a drawback.

Fortunately, I think we have many other important factors that will weigh more heavily.

I hope we get him. It sounds like a "win - win" situation for the school and young man. Alas, like with Moser, it sounds like he has limited himself to good choices either way.

Completely agree!

Goshzagit
05-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Josh Davis will be visiting SDSU this weekend.

bigparb
05-08-2013, 01:30 PM
34 minutes ago on TWITTER - Arizona PF Angelo Chol has commited to SDSU - I(at work can't post link).
-
Implications for Davis are HUGE.......come be a Zag Josh!!

jimmy b
05-08-2013, 01:44 PM
34 minutes ago on TWITTER - Arizona PF Angelo Chol has commited to SDSU - I(at work can't post link).
-
Implications for Davis are HUGE.......come be a Zag Josh!!

I don't think so. I believe Chol needs a RS year, meaning no implications for Davis.

A good set up for SDSU

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-08-2013, 01:52 PM
While I don't like the idea of the Aztecs competing with the Zags for recruits, I am glad that Steve Fisher is capitalizing in the recruiting world for SDSU. Good school. Competitive conference. The beach. Seems like The Mesa should be an easy sell to 17- and 18-year-old kids.

HenneZag
05-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Yeah Chol has to sit out a year before he can play, so it has no effect on Davis.

Man I need some good news very soon, a little glum right now for GU Nation. We need a "pick me up"

bigparb
05-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Dang....was so eager for good new on Davis didn't stop to think about Chol's eligibility....

BobZag
05-08-2013, 02:16 PM
The heat is on.

jazzdelmar
05-08-2013, 02:58 PM
"Yer out." Strike three ... Moser, Jordan, Choi.

bigblahla
05-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Well, at least he assumes he is graduating before next season. Perhaps he needs to have a quick "get on the same page" meeting with the Tulane registrars office.

This seems more important than his trip to SDSU. Is Davis actually graduating? Anyone know for sure?

Go!! Zags!!!

thespywhozaggedme
05-08-2013, 05:31 PM
"Yer out." Strike three ... Moser, Jordan, Choi.

A. We didn't stike out on JM, he had a change of heart.
B. It's Chol, with an "L", not Choi; no Asian recruits; yet
C. JD is the best of the bunch

DixieZag
05-08-2013, 06:47 PM

Agree

And D: Even if we get no further help

I am not going to tell Bell, Pangos et al that they have already "struck out" before the season even starts even if we are weak at the 4, are forced to play differently, don't rebound as well. . .

I don't think everyone should share my pollyannish view of the Zags but it seems like some relish projecting their disdain for Few into every single discussion on the board.

We didn't get any of the recruits that Kentucky got for 2013 either. Strike 4, 5, 6, 7, . . . . surely all of that is relevant to Few being a terrible recruiter as well as being a terrible March coach - except Kentucky didn't make the tournament this last year, something Few has never failed to do, oh well doesn't matter.

jimmy b
05-08-2013, 07:19 PM

regarding C, several weeks ago I asked someone well known for statistical analysis his preference between MM and JD, and he said JD was better and more physical. I agree. I don't think getting both, or 2 of 3 including JM was very likely, so if, in the end, JD does graduate and decide to go to GU, I think we've done as well as could be realistically hoped for. It really comes down to whether that happens. If so, we've done really well. If not, I'm concerned for next year, and barring a rabbit in a hat, we've struck out imo.

JAGzag
05-09-2013, 03:44 AM
Not sure how you couldn't be concerned if we don't land a quality big! This place would have melted down last year if BOTH Harris and KO went down with an injury. Well folks, that's now our starting (and only big lineup) frontcourt in Dower and the Big Pole! Put me in the camp that believes we really need Smith!

thespywhozaggedme
05-09-2013, 05:41 AM
Not sure how you couldn't be concerned if we don't land a quality big! This place would have melted down last year if BOTH Harris and KO went down with an injury. Well folks, that's now our starting (and only big lineup) frontcourt in Dower and the Big Pole! Put me in the camp that believes we really need Smith!

Josh Davis. Or did you mean Josh Smith of the Atlanta Hawks? As I recall, he went to the NBA straight from high school, so he does have college eligibity left, we could really use him. :p

BTB
05-09-2013, 06:05 AM

If I recall, everyone was pretty happy with Dower and Karnivore before Olynyk was eligible, and even once Olynyk was back everyone was calling for more PT for Karnivore for the first couple weeks. People around here must have forgotten how good he was playing before he got benched. He could be an absolute beast depending on how he develops this off-season. Same with Dower. That being said, we do really need another big.

Bogozags
05-09-2013, 06:22 AM
While I don't like the idea of the Aztecs competing with the Zags for recruits, I am glad that Steve Fisher is capitalizing in the recruiting world for SDSU. Good school. Competitive conference. The beach. Seems like The Mesa should be an easy sell to 17- and 18-year-old kids.

I completely agree with you...having spent many years in SDiego, it is evident that city has much more to offer than Spokane...I mean there is Del Mar, my home away from home and they also have a couple of beaches, a pretty decent zoo and most of all, it is so close to Tijuana, which has turned in to a pretty exciting place of late...oh, they also a nice weather and lots of places that sell TACOS too!

75Zag
05-09-2013, 07:01 AM
I agree with the posters who suggest that it won't be the end of the world if GU does not get any of the "quality bigs" that are being discussed. GU has a track record of growing kids from within the program and I think Coach Few and staff can do it again, but it would certainly be nice if they could get some outside help like Davis.

The more interesting issue to me in watching the current recruiting effort is to try and determine whether these recent "misses" are due to unique facts (i.e., Oregon kid goes home to Oregon) or whether the GU basketball "brand" has been damaged due to the recent belly-flop by GU in the NCAAs. I am not quite ready to label GU as the Bill Buckner of College Basketball (although they would have been that if they had lost their first game). But it does appear that America's Team may have sustained more reputation damage than I initially thought by tanking the NCAAs this year. It would be really, really nice to get Davis or an equivalent player to take some of the pain off what happened in March. But as noted, I think GU will be able to do well in the WCC and hopefully on a national level with the current players, particularly if the Big Pole spends more time on the court and less time stuffing down kielbasa this summer.

Go Bulldogs!

sylean
05-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Syracuse is actually not the pits.....Spokane is a fine fairly safe good size city with a terrific fan base and years and years of success to tout no matter who is playing here....gee, if Klay Thompson can play in Pullman and then go on to the nba then maybe being in a so called smaller, colder area is not so bad....be positive....

willandi
05-09-2013, 07:38 AM
I completely agree with you...having spent many years in SDiego, it is evident that city has much more to offer than Spokane...I mean there is Del Mar, my home away from home and they also have a couple of beaches, a pretty decent zoo and most of all, it is so close to Tijuana, which has turned in to a pretty exciting place of late...oh, they also a nice weather and lots of places that sell TACOS too!

So, I have spent time in SD too. Spokane has beaches, miles of 'em, along the rivers and lakes. Downtown is a Zoo, especially near the Knitting Factory, and we have tons of Tacos. We also have exceptionally nice weather, but only for 1/2 the year.
We have extremely affordable golfing at high quality courses, plenty of fishing in lakes, rivers and streams, PLUS we have snow mobiling, cross country and downhill skiing, snow shoeing, and, my favorite, snow shovelling! San Diego can't match that!

Maybe I would have liked SD better if I hadn't been in Boot Camp!

nonzagzag
05-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Angel Chol to San Diego State!

(but is he not eligible for a year anyway?)

Worthington
05-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Angel Chol to San Diego State!

(but is he not eligible for a year anyway?)

Grr yep, doesn't take SDSU out of the Josh Davis race. Come on Josh, make the right choice!

Bogozags
05-09-2013, 12:08 PM
So, I have spent time in SD too. Spokane has beaches, miles of 'em, along the rivers and lakes. Downtown is a Zoo, especially near the Knitting Factory, and we have tons of Tacos. We also have exceptionally nice weather, but only for 1/2 the year.
We have extremely affordable golfing at high quality courses, plenty of fishing in lakes, rivers and streams, PLUS we have snow mobiling, cross country and downhill skiing, snow shoeing, and, my favorite, snow shovelling! San Diego can't match that!

Maybe I would have liked SD better if I hadn't been in Boot Camp!

You have good points...recruting shouldn't be so tough, and if they miss the beaches, the horses and Tijuana, then they could always fly down for a weekend/holiday...Spokane has much to offer and sounds like the "zoo" is something one needs to avoid...oh, that snow shovelling, that is to die for...great aerobic activity...:)

BobZag
05-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Tacos are taking over. Ran over a gaggle of them on Hamilton today. I think they were mere baby carnes. I felt terrible.

DixieZag
05-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Tacos are taking over. Ran over a gaggle of them on Hamilton today. I think they were mere baby carnes. I felt terrible.

Rarely do I actually "lol" - - but, you got me BZ. Funny stuff.

SteelZag
05-09-2013, 01:23 PM
If you look at the roster, quite a few of the players are coming from areas with more severe winters than Spokane. KO, Sam, Elias, PK and Pangos probably think the winters in Spokane are balmy. A little bit of difference for guys like GBJ and Hart.

jazzdelmar
05-09-2013, 01:51 PM
If you look at the roster, quite a few of the players are coming from areas with more severe winters than Spokane. KO, Sam, Elias, PK and Pangos probably think the winters in Spokane are balmy. A little bit of difference for guys like GBJ and Hart.

it's 72 in san diego today....and will be tom'w.....and for most days right through early december....just saying. don't play meterological warfare w paradise.

thespywhozaggedme
05-09-2013, 01:53 PM
it's 72 in san diego today....and will be tom'w.....and for most days right through early december....just saying. don't play meterological warfare w paradise.

One giant season of meterological vanilla does not make for "paradise". I left SoCal 6 years ago for the Carolina's and could not be happier with my decision.

jazzdelmar
05-09-2013, 01:56 PM
One giant season of meterological vanilla does not make for "paradise". I left SoCal 6 years ago for the Carolina's and could not be happier with my decision.

vanilla? hilarious. but i concede Cah-a-lina is pretty sweet. USMC? Semper Fi.

thespywhozaggedme
05-09-2013, 02:13 PM
vanilla? hilarious. but i concede Cah-a-lina is pretty sweet. USMC? Semper Fi.

I actually like SD, but I LOVE the 4 seasons here, and the best thing is, none are too extreme. I'm in a suburb of Greenville, close to the Blue Ridge Mtns. so the summers aren't too bad. No, not a Mrine, just was fed up with California and after much research the carolina's kept coming up and we visited Greenville in June of '06 and were blown away; it's probably the nicest downtown in America.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pictures+of+Greenville+sc&qpvt=pictures+of+Greenville+sc&FORM=IGRE

jazzdelmar
05-09-2013, 02:18 PM
I actually like SD, but I LOVE the 4 seasons here, and the best thing is, none are too extreme. I'm in a suburb of Greenville, close to the Blue Ridge Mtns. so the summers aren't too bad. No, not a Mrine, just was fed up with California and after much research the carolina's kept coming up and we visited Greenville in June of '06 and were blown away; it's probably the nicest downtown in America.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pictures+of+Greenville+sc&qpvt=pictures+of+Greenville+sc&FORM=IGRE

I have an old GF in Glade Valley, NC. Near?

thespywhozaggedme
05-09-2013, 03:15 PM
I have an old GF in Glade Valley, NC. Near?

Never heard of it, but I love the name, it almost sounds too nice to be real.

jazzdelmar
05-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Better than that, her name is Devia. Keep an eye out. Lol

NotoriousZ
05-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Mr. Davis, the Zags are a perfect fit.

Zagger
05-09-2013, 07:25 PM
We have extremely affordable golfing at high quality courses, plenty of fishing in lakes, rivers and streams, PLUS we have snow mobiling, cross country and downhill skiing, snow shoeing, and, my favorite, snow shovelling! San Diego can't match that! ......

Shhhh! Good to tell the prospects but, let's not bring in the whole gang! ;)

SteelZag
05-09-2013, 07:47 PM

Yeah, I keep San Diego on my weather forecast just 'cuz.

ZagaZags
05-09-2013, 09:57 PM
SDSU is the favorite at this time. Just as Chol was. Not saying he won't go to Gonzaga. Just don't hold your breath.
Time for plan C

SteelZag
05-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Was just watching video of Davis and noticed the biggest stumbling block to signing him.

Would Sacre sign off on the "00".

If Davis is as good as advertised, he may be worrying about the retirement of his jersey #.

ZagFanInNC
05-09-2013, 10:15 PM

:vomit-smiley-007:

When the Army makes you live in Fayetteville NC for 5 years it really taints your perception of the whole state. My wife is from NC though so I am going to be forced to go back every once in a while for the rest of my life... oh well.

Oregonzagnut
05-09-2013, 10:52 PM
It seems we have to talk about sunny weather and the benefits of California beaches when the basketball reasons are obviously in favor of Gonzaga.

Davis's leadership experience and dominant rebounding would be huge at either our SF or PF spots. Gonzaga is a no brainer IMO and the momentum and media after this year will still be bringing national attention to every Zag. But for Davis, he can vie for 2 starting positions this summer AND since he is already graduated, he can be like Barham and really immerse into the Gonzaga basketball team.

SteelZag
05-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Davis would be the perfect addition to Sam and PK. He's used to 35 minutes per game. Both Sam and PK would end up splitting 45 minutes, which would be just about right. Whichever player has the hot hand may gobble up more minutes and everybody is happy. GO ZAGS!

jazzdelmar
05-10-2013, 05:09 AM
U-T: Chol, who doesn’t turn 20 until July, will have two years of eligibility remaining after sitting out next season. But already the prospect of him pairing inside with Skylar Spencer, who’d also be a junior in 2014-15, is tantalizing: Both rate among the best shot blockers on the West Coast.

SDSU offered familiarity, certainly – a chance to play two miles from where he went to high school, a chance to reconnect with an extensive support network for the Sudanese immigrant community here. There’s the veteran Aztecs coaching staff and regular trips to the NCAA Tournament and Coach Steve Fisher’s high-post offense that is built for long, athletic big men.

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2013, 05:30 AM
:vomit-smiley-007:

When the Army makes you live in Fayetteville NC for 5 years it really taints your perception of the whole state. My wife is from NC though so I am going to be forced to go back every once in a while for the rest of my life... oh well.

You didn't look at the pics. Wrong Greenville, I'm in the SC one, not the NC one (I'm in the nice Greenville). This town wins awards on a yearly basis for nicest downtown in America.

BobZag
05-10-2013, 09:51 AM
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS 11m Tulane transfer Josh Davis expected to take official visits starting next week to San Diego State, Gonzaga & Ohio State, per source.

VaBeachZAG
05-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Just great, so now OSU has entered the competition for Davis. One can only guess what other last minute competition will come forth for this guy.

jimmy b
05-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS 11m Tulane transfer Josh Davis expected to take official visits starting next week to San Diego State, Gonzaga & Ohio State, per source.

Competition increasing.

OSU needs to replace Thomas.

SDSU is formidable enough (I say that as San Diego resident and GU alum).
They have a good thing going right now.

I hope Davis chooses the zags as I think he'd have an awesome season (better than moser or JM IMO), but wouldn't bet on our chances at this point.

Really do think the allure of Big Ten or even MWC trumps what we have especially after the habitual early tourney exists. We'll see.

BobZag
05-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Those dirty, rotten, no-good, scheming, conniving, lowdown Buckeyes.

DixieZag
05-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Those dirty, rotten, no-good, scheming, conniving, lowdown Buckeyes.

Like we didn't have enough reasons to hate OSU.

At least we compare favorably (or at least don't come a distant second to) the weather in Columbus.

I thought our chances were better when it was 50/50.:D

Zagdawg
05-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Ohio St has 5 PF or Centers on the roster with one more coming in already (#16) Marc Loving-- that may slow Davis a bit (hopefully).

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2013, 01:00 PM
OSU? UGH. OhhowIhateohiostate

hooter73
05-10-2013, 01:20 PM
OSU is loaded. Big name is appealing but i think its still us or SDSU

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-10-2013, 01:28 PM

I'm starting to think that we're going to need to rely on those two freshmen big men a lot sooner than we expected. I was hoping to see them both redshirt and develop, but we may not have that luxury.

HenneZag
05-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Incoming freshman PF is a freak athlete. Along with what they have on the roster as well their is no guarantee he would get significant minutes...

It's safe to say SDSU and GU have an immediate need for him. Obviously wishful thinking and anything would not suprise me as far as his decision, just hope he picks us.

MTZag03
05-10-2013, 01:49 PM
OSU? UGH. OhhowIhateohiostate

OhhowIhatehowtheysay"The"OhioStateUniversity

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2013, 02:07 PM
I'm starting to think that we're going to need to rely on those two freshmen big men a lot sooner than we expected. I was hoping to see them both redshirt and develop, but we may not have that luxury.

Edwards is in no way, shape or form able to contribute as a true freshman, in all likelihood we won't see any production from him until his junior year. Meikle is a stretch four. As of now, it's Karno and Sammy D and that's it. JD would be a great get and is really needed. From a voyeuristic perspective, it should be interesting to see how things unfold.

Goshzagit
05-10-2013, 02:39 PM
His goal/intent from the beginning...back as early as February...was the SW US. For whatever reason, he initially reached out to personnel from 'Zona, UCLA, and SDSU, et al. He saw the writing on the wall at Arizona, and probably a name brand at Gonzaga. Considering Arizona is McDonalds AA U these days, esp in the front court, he has since passed...

Hate to admit it, yet this kid is an Aztec and has been for awhile now, imho. The visits are a formality. Ohio St will roll out the proverbial 'red carpet', much like Oregon, yet doubt he risks the PT by going there...much like Chol, sun, gals, beach, and assured PT for his final year of College. C'mon now, Even a good chance to be Tourney bound. Not to mention a proven Coach, as far as the NCAA Tourney is concerned -- we can't really say the same at this point in time.

I think we're a limp horse in this race...again, just a feeling this time around and based on earlier interest/actions by Davis. HE reached out to 'Zona, for instance.

HenneZag
05-10-2013, 03:00 PM
I have a hard time understanding why someone would choose a school solely on location for one year. Once the season gets rolling you really don't have a ton of time to sit back and smell the roses, it's practice and travel/games etc. Of course this is my opinion. I don't know what goes on in the heads of a certain player and won't pretend to. I would like to think in a final year of college basketball that you would base it on much more then just a location. Im assuming he wants to get to the NBA. Now can we sell him better then SDSU and Oh St? who knows, I sure hope we lay out a nice visit for him. The only concerning part is who will host him? Alot of the students are packed and going back home to visit family etc...

But if its true that he originally was reaching out to SW schools, then I would say we are in a bit of an uphill battle vs SDSU. Honestly choosing Ohio St to me would make little sense based on the fact that they are loaded at the PF/C positions.

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Edwards is in no way, shape or form able to contribute as a true freshman, in all likelihood we won't see any production from him until his junior year. Meikle is a stretch four. As of now, it's Karno and Sammy D and that's it. JD would be a great get and is really needed. From a voyeuristic perspective, it should be interesting to see how things unfold.

I don't disagree with any of that. I never thought that either of those freshman would be expected to play right out of high school. They both look like they need time in the system and time in the weight room before they will be ready to be regular rotation players at the Division I level. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that our coaches will have the luxury to let them both develop that way before pressing them into action.

Even if we play Barham and Nunez out of position at the 4 spot from time to time, we desperately need more frontcourt depth. Where will it come from?

DixieZag
05-11-2013, 07:50 AM
I would feel considerably better if there were a euro or two that Tommy was hunting down. . .

I know that Karno was signed, mid to late summer, but generally - aren't the euro kids usually signed away by now also? Has anyone heard whether we are even looking at anyone?

jazzdelmar
05-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Tulane forward Josh Davis still weighing more than two options

Tammy Nunez, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on May 10, 2013

Tulane basketball player Josh Davis, a Conference USA first-team selection, has not narrowed his choices down to just two schools for next season, a source and his high school coach said.

A report emerged that Davis had whittled his options to San Diego State and Gonzaga but he has not gotten that far, according to two people close to Davis. According to the two, Davis has not made a decision. Davis has not responded to a request for interview.

Davis still has visits he wants to go on and has been in the middle of finals and wrapping up the spring semester, a source said. Davis’ high school coach, Robert Clemons of Athens Dr. High School, reiterated that Davis has not come to any conclusions about where he will play next season.
“He is doing just that, trying to figure his next step,” Clemons said in a message to the Times-Picayune/

Still an option is Davis returning to the Green Wave next season or playing professional ball of some type. But, according the source, it seems more likely he will take a long look at some colleges to transfer to and pursue a graduate degree.

ZagFanInNC
05-11-2013, 11:44 AM
You didn't look at the pics. Wrong Greenville, I'm in the SC one, not the NC one (I'm in the nice Greenville). This town wins awards on a yearly basis for nicest downtown in America.

Well, NC/SC... Carolina is like a 4 letter word to me.

madness
05-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Anybody see anything on Twitter about Josh's visit to SD St? (scouring the twitterverse)

ZagaZags
05-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Anybody see anything on Twitter about Josh's visit to SD St? (scouring the twitterverse)

Davis went fishing with Steve Fisher.

willandi
05-14-2013, 05:41 AM
OhhowIhatehowtheysay"The"OhioStateUniversity

That's why I call them "Just Another Ohio State University".

Oregonzagnut
05-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Tulane forward Josh Davis still weighing more than two options

Tammy Nunez, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on May 10, 2013

Jazz, I think this is the link to that article you quoted.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2013/05/tulane_forward_josh_davis_stil.html

All he has to do is look at Gonzaga and if he can produce or replace the statistics Harris put up, he will be a starter on a Top 20 ranked team that will push for more media attention and another top 5 seed next year in the Dance.

He will not have the same options anywhere else, IMO. Not even OSU or SDSU.

HillBillyZag
05-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Hate on Ohio to your hearts desire, but they produce more division one athletes in either Cleveland?, Columbus,? or Cincinnati?, than the entire Northwest. Ohio University in Athens Ohio, (MAC) is also a State School, therefore, the arguably pain in the ass Buck fans?, do have to say " THE Ohio State University , to make sure that they are not confused with the Bobcats, whom this former Ohio resident prefers anyhow..

thespywhozaggedme
05-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Hate on Ohio to your hearts desire, but they produce more division one athletes in either Cleveland?, Columbus,? or Cincinnati?, than the entire Northwest. Ohio University in Athens Ohio, (MAC) is also a State School, therefore, the arguably pain in the ass Buck fans?, do have to say " THE Ohio State University , to make sure that they are not confused with the Bobcats, whom this former Ohio resident prefers anyhow..

But FSU doesn't say "The Florida State University" despite their being the other state school in Gainsville. Almost every state has a X State University in addition to the University of Same State, yet only OSU feels the pretentious need to place a The in front of their school.

cjm720
05-14-2013, 12:30 PM
It started with university of Miami iirc and others now use it. A bit arrogant but to each his own.

thespywhozaggedme
05-14-2013, 12:39 PM
It started with university of Miami iirc and others now use it. A bit arrogant but to each his own.

The refer to themselves as "The U" only OSU emphasizes the "The" part of their name.

sittingon50
05-14-2013, 12:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za5wwChsCwg

cjm720
05-14-2013, 12:44 PM
The refer to themselves as "The U" only OSU emphasizes the "The" part of their name.

What I recall was Jeremy Shockey saying THE Univesity of Miami but then again my memory's not what it used to be :)

Zag 77
05-14-2013, 12:50 PM
You don't hear it as often, but University of Washington alums used to refer to "The U."

229SintoZag
05-14-2013, 01:58 PM
You don't hear it as often, but University of Washington alums used to refer to "The U."

Still is. Also as The U-dub.

But the focus is on the U. Or the U-Dub. Not the "The."

And nobody ever, once, ever, in print referred to the University of Washington as "tUW " or "tUofW".

ZagaZags
05-15-2013, 12:37 PM
SDSU is the favorite at this time. Just as Chol was. Not saying he won't go to Gonzaga. Just don't hold your breath.
Time for plan C

Shocker.

ZagaZags
05-17-2013, 02:25 AM
San Diego has better tacos.

jazzdelmar
05-17-2013, 03:41 AM
San Diego has better tacos.

Agree ZZ. The seedier the taco stand the tastier.

But where ya been. Just catching up?

ZagaZags
05-17-2013, 04:04 AM
Agree ZZ. The seedier the taco stand the tastier.

But where ya been. Just catching up?

After the Wichita State game.:fingergun:

jazzdelmar
05-17-2013, 04:18 AM
After the Wichita State game.:fingergun:

Well, now you know things have been all downhill after that. Double your meds. 🌅