PDA

View Full Version : OT - Davidson going to Atlantic 10

cjm720
05-07-2013, 12:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9251315/atlantic-10-add-davidson-wildcats-2014-15-source-says

Feels like we're missing the boat...damn geography!

thespywhozaggedme
05-07-2013, 12:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9251315/atlantic-10-add-davidson-wildcats-2014-15-source-says

Man, Creighton, VCU, Xavier and Davidson have all upgraded conferences over the past 2 years. Still think the MWC for hoops only is a no brainer; we'll see.

BJZags
05-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Could Zag nation, and this board in particular survive the "growing pains" that would most assuredly happen with upgrading conferences. Until recruiting caught up with the new conference's talent, I suspect we'd have a few down years of maybe not even making the dance.

MTZag03
05-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Yeah, there would be conference growing pains for sure. As others have said the MWC does not really fit philosophically for us. Not many good academic schools (I know the AF Academy is good), none are liberal arts oriented, they're all much bigger, etc. Yes the level of basketball is clearly better, but I would fear losing our identity. I think geography is the big problem as mentioned above. It's easy for Davidson, Butler, etc. to jump ship given the proximity to other schools.

We're between a rock and a hard place. You know the other schools outside of SMC and BYU aren't going to prioritize basketball. They'll just follow the formula of getting a few decent guards, a rabid crowd for 1 game, and hope for enough calls to go their way to eek an upset before fading into complete obscurity for the rest of the season.

Angelo Roncalli
05-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Man, Creighton, VCU, Xavier and Davidson have all upgraded conferences over the past 2 years. Still think the MWC for hoops only is a no brainer; we'll see.

The Mountain West has never invited or even approached Gonzaga about conference membership.

thespywhozaggedme
05-07-2013, 01:37 PM
The Mountain West has never invited or even approached Gonzaga about conference membership.

Has Gonzaga ever approached the MWC about conference membership?

cjm720
05-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Has Gonzaga ever approached the MWC about conference membership?

It just doesn't make sense in any way other than Division 1 basketball. I don't ever see us in the MWC.

webspinnre
05-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Let's face it, we're basically doomed by geography. Our best bet is to keep pushing the WCC for improvement so the league grows, rather than trying to jump to a league that's a bad fit.

CanadianZagFan
05-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Could Zag nation, and this board in particular survive the "growing pains" that would most assuredly happen with upgrading conferences. Until recruiting caught up with the new conference's talent, I suspect we'd have a few down years of maybe not even making the dance.

While I do understand the rigours of being in a more competitive conference would make for a few more losses, but how does the team go from perennial top 25 team to struggling and not making the tournament?

kitzbuel
05-07-2013, 02:18 PM

VCU didn't seem to struggle much with that challenge.

cjm720
05-07-2013, 02:19 PM
While I do understand the rigours of being in a more competitive conference would make for a few more losses, but how does the team go from perennial top 25 team to struggling and not making the tournament?

The argument is that we perhaps might not be a perrenial top 25 team without WCC wins and the auto bid that many of us (including me) take for granted.

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-07-2013, 04:09 PM

I don't think Gonzaga would struggle in any league west of the B1G. You could compare our last fifteen teams to the competition they would have faced in the PAC-10/12 and I doubt there would be many years where they'd finish worse than fourth in league play. I could live with a third place finish in the MWC as a "down" year.

TexasZag
05-08-2013, 05:10 AM

Well, if the problem is geography, then the solution is rather simple. Either we pack up the school and move east (I doubt you'd get much argument from the Board of Trustees, since, after all, it would be in the best interests of the basketball program), or we wait for shifting tectoninc plates to drag us there!

montanazag88
05-08-2013, 05:54 AM
What happened to the abundance of support of the WCC's clearly underestimated competitiveness when this board was justifying our rankings this year? What happened to, "anytime, anywhere." Funny how we all make arguments in favor of our own deep seeded yearnings. Geography is a problem. Most other reasons are fear of the unknown and give little credit to the confidence everyone has in the coaching staff to take on a consistently tougher schedule to make themselves and the players better than they otherwise can be.

BobZag
05-08-2013, 09:36 AM
At first this news surprised me, but the more I thought about it the more sense it made. Good for Davidson. I'm thinking Zags will schedule quite a few of these schools.

jazzdelmar
05-08-2013, 10:03 AM
At first this news surprised me, but the more I thought about it the more sense it made. Good for Davidson. I'm thinking Zags will schedule quite a few of these schools.

Davidson's college bb props are at least the equal of GU's, going back to the days of the Lefthander.....and Mike Maloy, et al.