PDA

View Full Version : Malik Pope Update: May 7

CDC84
05-07-2013, 10:05 AM
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1503342&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

2014 elite forward Malik Pope is very likely to make Gonzaga one of his official visits. His AAU coach has been saying similiar things for months. The GU staff continues to aggressively recruit him.

Pope, out of the Sacramento area, would be one of the most highly decorated players to ever officially visit Gonzaga when or if he chooses to do so. He's currently ranked at #7 nationally in the Rivals.com 150:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Malik-Pope-137956;_ylt=AhFri7wxo2XPeGRF1icrStLVO5B4

He has always struck me as being a different kind of kid.....the kind of kid who isn't dead set on a BCS or factory school. He's looking for the right fit. I think the GU staff knows this, and this is why they have continued to pursue him despite his lofty status.

ZagNative
05-07-2013, 10:13 AM
I was optimistic and excited until I saw this:
Pope is currently taking his recruitment slow (although he may visit Gonzaga soon) and doesn't have any early favorites. But two things he's looking at in a school are the chance for early playing time and the surrounding climate.

"I would have to be around my environment, because I'm a warm weather guy," Pope said. "I hate bad weather. I like LA-type weather and Miami and San Diego. That kind of weather is nice."

CDC84
05-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Well it's warm during the summer, and the Zags do play a ton of games in California.........

We need Tommy Lloyd to work his "weather magic" like he did with Ronny Turiaf :) Seriously, despite the quote, I have to believe Malik is aware of the Spokane winters.....perhaps the Zags are an exception.

BroncoZAG615
05-07-2013, 10:23 AM
If I was running the show (and I'm not) I would have him visit for Hoopfest weekend and just happen to schedule Josh Perkins' visit for that same weekend.

Great weather, shows the basketball-crazed culture of Spokane, and endless former Zags will be in attendance. Hell, I'd even schedule Reid Travis for that weekend.

CDC84
05-07-2013, 10:26 AM
CDC84 would be very pleased with a Pope, Perkins, Travis class. Three top 50 players, with two of the three likely McDonald's AA's. Dream, dream, dream. Maybe add in a shooting guard as well.

DixieZag
05-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Well it's warm during the summer, and the Zags do play a ton of games in California :)

I have to believe Pope is aware of the Spokane winters.

Well, that is putting the best face forward.:p

Still, it's a strong enough statement that I would address it if I were the staff. Have to go into hardcore persuasive mode, "nothing like watching the snow fall outside your window. . . and then leave for Maui in the morning."

I am glad that we are at the top of his list. . . prolly best to have him come in mid-june while the roses are blooming.

BroncoZAG615
05-07-2013, 10:30 AM
CDC84 would be very pleased with a Pope, Perkins, Travis class. Three top 50 players, with two of the three likely McDonald's AA's. Dream, dream, dream. Maybe add in a shooting guard as well.

Three top 50 guys and both Travis and Perkins are still making names for themselves on the national level so their stock will only improve. I'm guessing all three could wind up in the top-30 when it is all said and done.

One can dream, the fact that each of them has expressed a desire to visit is a step in the right direction.

I know the staff has never been big on having multiple recruits on campus at the same time but I think one of their biggest selling points in this case is the potential of the 2014 class as a whole.

As for an SG, I would love to see Trey Kell be a Zag.

DixieZag
05-07-2013, 10:33 AM
If I was running the show (and I'm not) I would have him visit for Hoopfest weekend and just happen to schedule Josh Perkins' visit for that same weekend.

Great weather, shows the basketball-crazed culture of Spokane, and endless former Zags will be in attendance. Hell, I'd even schedule Reid Travis for that weekend.

Can't tell if this was said in jest, but I think it is a seriously good idea, probably the best "visit time" outside of a Kennel crazed weekend - - I would line up everyone interested to visit that weekend, from star bb recruits to star visiting professors - - it is Spokane at its finest.

Let Pope, Perkins et al sit beside Kevin and Gary while they sign autographs and feel like the 5th Beatle all weekend.

BroncoZAG615
05-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Can't tell if this was said in jest, but I think it is a seriously good idea, probably the best "visit time" outside of a Kennel crazed weekend - - I would line up everyone interested to visit that weekend, from star bb recruits to star visiting professors - - it is Spokane at its finest.

Let Pope, Perkins et al sit beside Kevin and Gary while they sign autographs and feel like the 5th Beatle all weekend.

Not a joke whatsoever. I think you lock in a great 2014 class with the group visit.

cggonzaga
05-07-2013, 11:30 AM
I feel like getting an early commitment from Perkins or pope is essential. They then become recruiters themselves and I think that's how you get the top 10 type recruiting classes.

sittingon50
05-07-2013, 11:49 AM
I would guess the temps in the gym & in the classrooms are pretty similar to L.A., S.D. & Miami. Pretty sure that is where you will spend the bulk of your time, young man.

Oregonzagnut
05-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Recruiting is a box of chocolates? But at least Gonzaga makes an educated pick from that huge box. Few and Co. stick to a formula and their results show success. But they also have shown evidence at times, IMO, when they left the formula.

The only problem with this whole predictability formula is that for each athlete, his genetics, practice and fluke injuries are mostly not predictable. Time tells the story no matter what the outcome is. Bad luck is real too. What would have been if Nilsson wasn't hurt, what if Morrison didn't have diabetes, what if Heytvelt wasn't such a fungi, or Bell wasn't hurt? Unfortunate life issues that changed entire seasons for them personally and everyone else too.

This program is still growing and recruiting at a higher overall level each and every year we see of sustained success. The future is so bright!!

kitzbuel
05-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Have Ronny give him a visit and tell him the weather is just like Paris.

BobZag
05-07-2013, 04:42 PM

Bingo-rama!

zagzilla
05-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Keep dreaming folks. None of these kids will commit to GU. These flights of fancy are fun post padders but it ain't gonna happen. Few doesn't jell with those blue chippers for some reason.

Our method as once described by a pundit:

"Every year Gonzaga replaces stars who you never heard of before they were Zags with other guys you never heard of before who become stars"

ZZ

CDC84
05-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Few hasn't recruited this hard in the past 10 years. He's done a lot more work, and it's bound to pay off. I think we'll do better than you might think. That being said, GU might not get everyone it wants.

Zagcity
05-09-2013, 06:20 AM
Few hasn't recruited this hard in the past 10 years. He's done a lot more work, and it's bound to pay off. I think we'll do better than you might think. That being said, GU might not get everyone it wants.

A little Meatloaf is in order "Two out of three ain't bad." :pray:

Zagpower
05-09-2013, 07:39 AM
A little Meatloaf is in order "Two out of three ain't bad." :pray:

I poured it on and I poured it out
I tried to show you just how much I care
I'm tired of words and I'm too hoarse to shout
But you've been cold to me so long
I'm crying icicles instead of tears
And all I can do
Is keep on telling you
I want you (I want you)
I need you (I need you)
But-there ain't no way this board will ever love you
Now don't be sad (Don't be sad)
'Cause two out of three ain't bad

Ebay
05-09-2013, 09:59 AM

I love this idea. Imagine if those 3 ended up making a Hoopfest team? Maybe get a 4th recruit to come in and play. Not sure their AAU coaches would appreciate the increased chance of injury, but it would be an incredible recruiting tool. Get them to play with each other, and get all of the former players to come watch their games. I wonder if the team name "Future Zags" is still available.

;)