PDA

View Full Version : Moser in a traffic jam at UO?

jazzdelmar
05-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
Tarik Black now favoring Oregon?
By Joe Kaiser

There have been whispers in recent weeks that Duke was in good position to land coveted Memphis transfer Tarik Black, but now that distinction may go to Oregon.

According to this tweet by independent site MemphisRoar.com, the word is now that the Ducks are "well in front" for the 6-foot-9, 262-pound power forward.

This is significant for a number of reasons. For one, the Ducks have been great at adding key senior transfers to their frontcourt each of the last two seasons. Two years ago, it was Olu Ashaolu from Louisiana Tech. And last year, it was Arsalan Kazemi. With promising sophomores-to-be Dominic Artis and Damyean Dotson, Oregon has a nice young nucleus to build around, and adding Black would provide a much-needed lift to a roster that loses not only Kazemi but also E.J. Singler, Tony Woods and Carlos Emory.

As things stand today, the Ducks have two scholarships available to add for next season's roster. Black would take one, if he signs on, and the big question is whether that would deter UNLV transfer and Oregon native Mike Moser from also heading to Eugene.

Moser is still deciding between Oregon, Washington and Gonzaga, and the thinking is that if the Ducks add Black, Moser may decide to attend one of the other two schools. That's only speculation, however, and we'll let you know as soon as we hear more.

thespywhozaggedme
05-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
By Joe Kaiser

There have been whispers in recent weeks that Duke was in good position to land coveted Memphis transfer Tarik Black, but now that distinction may go to Oregon.

According to this tweet by independent site MemphisRoar.com, the word is now that the Ducks are "well in front" for the 6-foot-9, 262-pound power forward.

This is significant for a number of reasons. For one, the Ducks have been great at adding key senior transfers to their frontcourt each of the last two seasons. Two years ago, it was Olu Ashaolu from Louisiana Tech. And last year, it was Arsalan Kazemi. With promising sophomores-to-be Dominic Artis and Damyean Dotson, Oregon has a nice young nucleus to build around, and adding Black would provide a much-needed lift to a roster that loses not only Kazemi but also E.J. Singler, Tony Woods and Carlos Emory.

As things stand today, the Ducks have two scholarships available to add for next season's roster. Black would take one, if he signs on, and the big question is whether that would deter UNLV transfer and Oregon native Mike Moser from also heading to Eugene.

Moser is still deciding between Oregon, Washington and Gonzaga, and the thinking is that if the Ducks add Black, Moser may decide to attend one of the other two schools. That's only speculation, however, and we'll let you know as soon as we hear more.

But wouldn't the same apply to us, if we got JD?

webspinnre
05-07-2013, 06:34 AM
C'mon, Black!

ZagLawGrad
05-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Just make a decision.

BroncoZAG615
05-07-2013, 06:48 AM
Just make a decision.

I know, right. How dare someone take 10 or so days to make a decision about the next year of their life. Freaking kids these days. Doesn't he know that the boards desperately need to either a) Hoot and holler that he committed to Gonzaga and then find ways to discuss how he actually won't be that good or b) Throw a hissy fit about how he has no idea what he is doing going to UW or Oregon and that he must be an egomaniacal headcase that wasn't Zag material in the first place.

cjm720
05-07-2013, 06:50 AM
This is the most encouraging "news" since his visit. Really like our chances if Black verbals to Oregon...

ZagLawGrad
05-07-2013, 07:00 AM
I know, right. How dare someone take 10 or so days to make a decision about the next year of their life. Freaking kids these days. Doesn't he know that the boards desperately need to either a) Hoot and holler that he committed to Gonzaga and then find ways to discuss how he actually won't be that good or b) Throw a hissy fit about how he has no idea what he is doing going to UW or Oregon and that he must be an egomaniacal headcase that wasn't Zag material in the first place.

Just make a decision.

These aren't high schoolers we're talking about.

cjm720
05-07-2013, 07:07 AM
Just make a decision.

These aren't high schoolers we're talking about.

Still a big decision and a personal one. You're concerned with your own well being, not his.

ZagLawGrad
05-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Still a big decision and a personal one. You're concerned with your own well being, not his.

My well being? LOL.

It's basketball. Just make a decision. Life will be fine either way.

ZagLawGrad
05-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
By Joe Kaiser

That Nike presence and image is formidable.

Malastein
05-07-2013, 07:37 AM

Classic!

Zags_Fanatic
05-07-2013, 07:46 AM

Brilliant!

webspinnre
05-07-2013, 07:52 AM
My well being? LOL.

More than just basketball. Making a decision on where to spend the next year of your life, on what will best prepare you for your future (both basketball and otherwise) is a big decision, and shouldn't be taken lightly.

BroncoZAG615
05-07-2013, 07:57 AM
My well being? LOL.

If Moser can get to a program that helps him regain his sophomore year form, he could be looking at a future in the NBA vs. a future in the Serbian basketball league.

It's way more than just basketball but, by all means, keep on trucking.

sittingon50
05-07-2013, 07:57 AM
The kid's already been to two schools. Maybe it is somewhat important that he gets the LAST ONE right! JMO.

Nice find, Jazz.

LongIslandZagFan
05-07-2013, 08:04 AM
.... keep on trucking.

No way that comment can be let go without this...

http://whenisapartynotaparty.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/keep-on-truckin.jpg

HenneZag
05-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Im sure this alot more going on then we all realize. Moser knowing that we also want Davis, also Oregon apparently a favorite for Memphis transfer Black etc...alot of back and forth and chess match. Who knows when a decision will be made. Im as eager as anyone, but obviously this is a potential life changing decision for Moser and he is looking things over clearly, smart.

I would be ecstatic to land either Moser or Davis. Both bring a different flavor. With Davis it complicates things just a bit more with his academic situation, hopefully soon we get some information on what he needs to get through the humps, phenomonal player.

jazzdelmar
05-07-2013, 08:47 AM
what passes for an upgrade in eugene :)

Tuesday, May 7, 2013
Oregon's out of conference schedule
By Joe Kaiser

Last season, Oregon didn't play a single out of conference game against an opponent ranked among the top 40 in KenPom.com's college basketball rankings. UNLV and Cincinnati were the two big tests for the Ducks, which ended up making it all the way to the Sweet 16 before losing to Louisville. Next season, Oregon is playing a tougher schedule outside of the Pac-12, which could bode well come Selection Sunday.

Here's our own Andy Katz with more on the strong scheduling strategy Oregon is using for 2013-14.

"Oregon is getting creative with its schedule for a team that should be, like Colorado, in the upper half of the Pac-12 in 2014. Oregon coach Dana Altman said the Ducks have signed up with a new home-and-home series with Ole Miss, starting in Oxford. That game should have some sensational guards with Ole Miss' Marshall Henderson and the Ducks' backcourt of Dominic Artis and Damyean Dotson. Oregon is also playing Illinois in the Rose Garden in Portland with a return game the following season at the United Center in Chicago. BYU is also coming to Eugene. This schedule gives the Ducks bubble teams to start the season. The Ducks' willingness to go to Oxford should be applauded since few teams look to play the Rebels at home. This is a win-win for both schools."

Goshzagit
05-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Ya gotta think this 'wait -n- see' approach tells us Oregon is/was leading for Moser.

I wonder if this has everything to do with the Tarik Black news over the wkend. Moser and Tarik play the same position.

Several sources claimed Moser was already decided and making his decision by Monday.

Really tough to pass on the glitz and glam of Nike U. As with GU, Oregon does well with recruits visiting their campus and showing their state-of-the-art...everything.

Oregon does have two young, explosive guards in the backcourt, yet they rarely pass the ball. Their lead scoring guard averaged just .9 assists. I hope Moser realizes Altman's penetrate and pass offense doesn't really suit his stretch PF game.

Completely up to him, yet a starting PF position is up for grabs at GU and so is our up tempo, transition oriented, inside-out offense.

Our last 5 PF's are all playing professionally or NBA right now, to this day. Not to mention our latest is/was a 1st Team AA and projected Lottery pick.

This should be a no-brainer if research was done; however, I heard Altman and Co. really laid out the red carpet on his visit...

DixieZag
05-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Ya gotta think this 'wait -n- see' approach tells us Oregon is/was leading for Moser.

I wonder if this has everything to do with the Tarik Black news over the wkend. Moser and Tarik play the same position.

Several sources claimed Moser was already decided and making his decision by Monday.

Really tough to pass on the glitz and glam of Nike U. As with GU, Oregon does well with recruits visiting their campus and showing their state-of-the-art...everything.

Oregon does have two young, explosive guards in the backcourt, yet they rarely pass the ball. Their lead scoring guard averaged just .9 assists. I hope Moser realizes Altman's penetrate and pass offense doesn't really suit his stretch PF game.

Completely up to him, yet a starting PF position is up for grabs at GU and so is our up tempo, transition oriented, inside-out offense.

Our last 5 PF's are all playing professionally or NBA right now, to this day. Not to mention our latest is/was a 1st Team AA and projected Lottery pick.

This should be a no-brainer if research was done; however, I heard Altman and Co. really laid out the red carpet on his visit...

I can't quibble with anything you said, sounds reasonable to me. But, doesn't the conclusion of your point bode well for us? If UO really laid it on thick and he was inclined to go home, then it would seem that that would have been the decision announced last week sometime.

Something is complicating it - - which, since we weren't the "sign on the line before you get on the plane choice" seems to be good for us. Something is making the Oregon decision not so obvious and requiring a wait, it may well be the fate of this other player, regardless - the fact that he has had to sit back and take more time than he planned to seems to me that Oregon isn't the obvious choice he might have thought.

It kills us waiting, but if the alternative is learning today that he will be a duck, I'll just go ahead and keep waiting. . .

Zippyzaggy
05-07-2013, 09:30 AM

The complainer complains about the complainers. What a negative grump.

All this guy did was express a little impatience about Moser's decision and you lose it.

Maybe you are the type of guy that LIKES a place where he can complain, watch & wait for complaints YET TO COME?

I won't bother responding to your witty response.

C'mon Moser.....let us know what you decided!

BobZag
05-07-2013, 09:44 AM
I want offense. Black is a physical presence, more so than Moser or Davis, but he's not much of a scorer. Few32 wants both Moser and Davis, he wants a 4 seed or better next year so der Zags can play first two rounds in Spokane, and Few32 wants a team that can accomplish that. One of Moser and Davis could help the team do that. Moser AND Davis would help do that.

I don't care how long it takes for kids to make decisions. My plate is full and with this summer weather, life is gooooooooood.

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-07-2013, 09:45 AM
I always thought that our open frontcourt minutes were our best selling point from the jump. Hopefully that tilts the scales in our favor.

BroncoZAG615
05-07-2013, 09:56 AM
The complainer complains about the complainers. What a negative grump.

All this guy did was express a little impatience about Moser's decision and you lose it.

Maybe you are the type of guy that LIKES a place where he can complain, watch & wait for complaints YET TO COME?

I won't bother responding to your witty response.

C'mon Moser.....let us know what you decided!

This is exciting. I've never been called a complainer here before. Elitist many times, a blind polly even more, but I think this is my first time as a complainer.

To answer your question about me waiting for complaints, I do have a enormous pet peeve with posts that I feel unfairly criticize amateur athletes or crave news simply for the sake of being able to talk about it on a message board. I am also extraordinarily anxious for Moser's decision which is why we have been trying to track down as much news as possible with his mentor Kumbeno Memory. It is also the reason why I search his name on Twitter every 15-20 minutes.

That said, I do understand why it has taken him quite a bit of time to make it. All three schools are in favorable locations to his home in Oregon, they all have a need in the low post, and they all possess certain qualities that make them uniquely appealing to players. Oregon is in his backyard and has world class facilities, Washington gives him the chance to play with a good friend and we all know Romar can recruit, and Gonzaga offers up great exposure as well as the best chance to make the tournament due to their conference.

I truly don't think Moser can go wrong with any of the three finalists which I think is what makes most here a bit nervous about his choice.

Angelo Roncalli
05-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Washington gives him the chance to play with a good friend and we all know Romar can recruit

That consideration should be taken a step further by recruits...Romar can certainly recruit, but can he coach? Recent evidence, i.e. the failure to make the NCAA tournament with two NBA first round draft choices in the lineup, might lead to a negative conclusion...

BroncoZAG615
05-07-2013, 10:12 AM
That consideration should be taken a step further by recruits...Romar can certainly recruit, but can he coach? Recent evidence, i.e. the failure to make the NCAA tournament with two NBA first round draft choices in the lineup, might lead to a negative conclusion...

Oh absolutely and I'm sure that will be a factor - I was merely laying out the positives working for each school. There are holes that can be poked in every program's argument but (and this is hugely biased) I think the holes in Washington's are the largest.

I was really hoping the staff would get the commit on the visit or the day or two after. As other posters have said above, I do have concerns that the longer this goes, the better Oregon's odds become.

jazzdelmar
05-07-2013, 11:15 AM
I want offense. Black is a physical presence, more so than Moser or Davis, but he's not much of a scorer. Few32 wants both Moser and Davis, he wants a 4 seed or better next year so der Zags can play first two rounds in Spokane, and Few32 wants a team that can accomplish that. One of Moser and Davis could help the team do that. Moser AND Davis would help do that.

I don't care how long it takes for kids to make decisions. My plate is full and with this summer weather, life is gooooooooood.

Plagiarism or an homage, Herr Beezer?

GorgeZag
05-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Oregon has playing time at the 4 and the 5 as well as the "utility" minutes that Singler played. With two spots open and a need for bigs I wouldn't be surprised if they took both Black and Moser.

Goshzagit
05-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Per Duck Territory (247 sports), they are VERY confident a Moser deal is in the works and things are moving quickly. This update followed SSF's most recent news as well.

Sounds as if we'll know sooner than 'end of the week', yet based on their rhetoric, doesn't look promising.

The competition with Malik Black may have forced Moser to show his cards earlier than expected. Maybe he hopes to commit sooner and have Black choose another school.

At this juncture, with no news from the Horses' mouth, the Oregon Ducks are fairly certain it is them, fwiw.

ZagaZags
04-17-2014, 11:50 PM

I don't think we are allowed to say Few 32 anymore. I think 5 years straight winning a game in March Madness is a great thing but some think the 32 thing is bad. 2009 we went to Sweet 16 beating Akron and Western Kentucky.
I guess the Few 32 is considered a bad thing, not sure why? GU is consistent in March Madness.

If Jazz says Few32, it is a mean spirited post? ( So confused ) I think Jazz has a ghost in his house.