PDA

View Full Version : Fr. Hightower transferred

Zag 77
05-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Sorry to hear that Fr. Craig Hightower SJ will be leaving GU for a new assignment in Sacramento on June 1. Thus, the mens basketball team will need a new chaplain at the end of the bench.

Nationwide Search?

Fr. Craig is a great Jesuit. He did a great job in the role first made notable by Fr. Tony Lehmann SJ. Tough shoes to fill.

Oregonzagnut
05-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Ouch. Hightower was a great supportive presence. but there never has been and never will be a replacement for Fr Tony. Not possible.

Maybe a nun? in full habit?

JK!

Ekrub
05-03-2013, 03:55 PM
doomed

229SintoZag
05-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Sorry to hear that Fr. Craig Hightower SJ will be leaving GU for a new assignment in Sacramento on June 1. Thus, the mens basketball team will need a new chaplain at the end of the bench.

Nationwide Search?

Fr. Craig is a great Jesuit. He did a great job in the role first made notable by Fr. Tony Lehmann SJ. Tough shoes to fill.

Tough news. Someone remind me, I can't keep up with all the rules anymore with the NCAA: does this mean he has to sit out a year before he is eligible to return to courtside down there, or is he eligible immediately since he already has numerous degrees?

And how will this affect Gonzaga's APR?

As if we didn't have enough to worry about already.

BobZag
05-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Always on the move

Dogtownkid
05-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Too bad. I always liked seeing him on the bench.

Blitzing-Zag
05-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Noooooooooo!

75Zag
05-05-2013, 02:40 PM
While Fr. Hightower may be a nice guy, I don't think he played (or prayed) up to his hype as team chaplain. I didn't see any boils on the necks of the Wichita St. players. I don't recall any well timed team bus accidents before the Illinois game. And I am pretty sure that there was no plague of locusts either before, during or after the Butler fiasco. I don't care if you are the coaches, the players, or the ball boys, or the chaplain, if you are going to be part of the Bulldog organization, results matter!

But best to Fr. Hightower as he moves on. Perhaps he will get more minutes as Chaplain of a lesser team.

Amen.

Go Bulldogs!

maynard g krebs
05-05-2013, 04:13 PM
While Fr. Hightower may be a nice guy, I don't think he played (or prayed) up to his hype as team chaplain. I didn't see any boils on the necks of the Wichita St. players. I don't recall any well timed team bus accidents before the Illinois game. And I am pretty sure that there was no plague of locusts either before, during or after the Butler fiasco. I don't care if you are the coaches, the players, or the ball boys, or the chaplain, if you are going to be part of the Bulldog organization, results matter!

But best to Fr. Hightower as he moves on. Perhaps he will get more minutes as Chaplain of a lesser team.

Amen.

Go Bulldogs!

LOL. Great points.

I'd like to suggest Sister Mary Stigmata as a possible upgrade at this position, based on the fine job she did with Jake and Elwood Blues at the orphanage in Chicago. Nothing like that ruler across the knuckles to instill a little discipline.

77Zag
05-06-2013, 06:59 AM
any word where he lands in Sacramento -- The Kings? Just kidding...sorry Seattle.

Do we have a link to this press?

Go Zags!

cjm720
05-06-2013, 07:20 AM

Amen.

Go Bulldogs!

An instant classic! Great post...

229SintoZag
05-06-2013, 08:22 AM

Amen.

Go Bulldogs!

You cannot fault a guy for wanting to transfer; in the end, these guys are all about praying time....

DixieZag
05-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Two vacancies open right now, Asst coach and chaplain.

I worry that the Ath. Dept. may try to act like a Fortune 500 company and use the 2 vacancies as a tool to consolidate the positions. They might try to hire a young, single assistant coach and make attending the seminary a condition of employment - and in today's market, guys would be lined up to do so. Or, they could try to find a Jesuit who played HS ball and can chart rebounds and scout tape.

Dangerous time for the BB offices. If I were them, and I wanted to preserve the 2 positions, I would move immediately to fill one with someone who can't do both jobs. Mark Few needs to find a married woman with 3 daughters as his next assistant men's basketball coach.

rijman
05-06-2013, 03:57 PM
I know a person who be be good fit for team chaplain, he played basketball and baseball for the Zags, went on to play minor league baseball, coached and taught at GU and was a Jesuit Priest. He talks Zags basketball every day of the year, so he's still a huge fan. If there was compensation for the position he would likely donate it back to GU.

So who do I talk to about my recommendation for the position?

3XaZag
05-06-2013, 04:07 PM
A semi-informed guess is he will be at Jesuit High School in Sacramento. That is the Jebbies main operation in the town. However, as we all know, Jesuits can turn up almost anywhere if they have a project for him. Either way...I'm sure he will take his Gonzaga loyalties (and hopefully a educated recruiting eye) to his new town.

gamagin
05-06-2013, 07:42 PM
I know a person who be be good fit for team chaplain, he played basketball and baseball for the Zags, went on to play minor league baseball, coached and taught at GU and was a Jesuit Priest. He talks Zags basketball every day of the year, so he's still a huge fan. If there was compensation for the position he would likely donate it back to GU.

So who do I talk to about my recommendation for the position?

I doubt mulcahy would leave Butte, America, for the spot. But he'd be good.

Zagger
05-07-2013, 02:58 AM
You cannot fault a guy for wanting to transfer; in the end, these guys are all about praying time....
:cheers::bishop_smiley::pray:

rijman
05-07-2013, 10:03 AM
I doubt mulcahy would leave Butte, America, for the spot. But he'd be good.
He also has a conflict in late March every year with his golf tournament. I'm guessing there aren't too many GU alum that played for GU and became Jesuit Priests.

ZagKing09
05-09-2013, 02:45 PM
any word where he lands in Sacramento -- The Kings? Just kidding...sorry Seattle.

Do we have a link to this press?

Go Zags!

He is headed down there to be the provincial (regional head) of the California Province of the Jesuits. He is stepping up and going big leagues.

DixieZag
05-09-2013, 03:35 PM
He is headed down there to be the provincial (regional head) of the California Province of the Jesuits. He is stepping up and going big leagues.

So, it's kinda like him going to the Pac?

Zag 77
05-22-2013, 08:48 PM
From GU website:

http://news.gonzaga.edu/2013/farewell-father-hightower-exemplifies-jesuit

Another Jesuit told me he is going to be the Superior of the Jesuit community that serves Sacramento Jesuit HS and a Christo Rey school in the same city.

sullyzag66
05-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Not the Provincial. See Zag77's post above. BTW, the Oregon and California provinces are merging to become one Province again.

sullyzag66
05-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Always on the move
CIA. Contemplatives In Action.