PDA

View Full Version : Jud Heathcote Tribute game with Michigan State December 7?

ZagNative
05-02-2013, 12:14 PM
This would be very cool, if it works out! From the Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20130502/SPORTS07/305020132/michigan-state-basketball-schedule-jud-heathcote)..
MSU basketball might play Gonzaga as part of Jud Heathcote tribute

If Mark Hollis has his way, the next big Michigan State basketball event will be centered around a tribute to the mentor he shares with Tom Izzo.

MSU is trying to put together a doubleheader to be played Dec. 7 at Spokane Arena in Spokane, Wash., featuring the four programs that are tied to Jud Heathcote, Hollis said today. MSU would play Gonzaga in one of the games, and Montana and Washington State would play in the other game.

Heathcote, an 85-year-old Spokane resident, hired Izzo as an assistant and Hollis as a student manager when he was MSU’s head coach. He was formerly Montana’s head coach and an assistant at Washington State, and he has become close with Gonzaga and its coach, Mark Few, over the past several years.

“Like the events we’ve had before, this is something that’s being put together for the good of the game of basketball,” Hollis told the Free Press, “and to recognize a true legend of the game.”

Hollis originally looked at opening MSU’s 2013-14 season with the game, but that weekend did not work out for all the other teams. The games are still not a done deal, Hollis said, with financial details still to be worked out, but Dec. 7 – the same day as the Big Ten football title game in Indianapolis – is a day that works for all four.

In the past two seasons, MSU has honored the U.S. military with a game on an aircraft carrier and on Ramstein Air Base in Germany. This one is more personal for Hollis and Izzo.

That’s why the plan, if the games are finalized, is to invite every MSU player and student manager from Heathcote’s days at MSU (1976-95). MSU would fly everyone out to Spokane two days before the games and have a tribute event of some kind for Heathcote the day before the game.

sittingon50
05-02-2013, 12:21 PM
That would be awesome.

UberZagFan
05-02-2013, 01:01 PM
That sounds really cool. Nice to see someone talk about doing something for the good of the game and giving back to people like Heathcote. When this gets finalized, Uber's checking flights to Spokane for Dec 7.

UKWildcatsFan
05-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Will be nice to get to see another Gonzaga game without having to drive really far (like say to Salt Lake City).

DADoZAG
05-02-2013, 01:40 PM
This would be very cool, if it works out! From the Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20130502/SPORTS07/305020132/michigan-state-basketball-schedule-jud-heathcote)..

They mention having a double header IN THE ARENA. Would this be in addition to RMH or instead of it?

Opinions?

Go ZAGS! Finish!

ZagNative
05-02-2013, 01:49 PM
The Arena will be the site of the 2014 NCAA Tournament second and third round games. If I recall correctly, the Zags can play only one game there in the 2013-14 season and retain eligibility to play tournament games there. (I could, of course, be wildly off the mark there.)

If correct, I'd assume the MSU game would be instead of the RMH game and not in addition.

KStyles
05-02-2013, 01:50 PM
The Arena will be the site of the 2014 NCAA Tournament second and third round games. If I recall correctly, the Zags can play only one game there in the 2013-14 season and retain eligibility to play tournament games there. (I could, of course, be wildly off the mark there.)

If correct, I'd assume the MSU game would be instead of the RMH game and not in addition.

I believe it's no more than 3 regular season games in a given arena in order to be able to play there during the NCAA tournament.

ZagNative
05-02-2013, 01:53 PM
KStyles is usually spot on, so I assume he's correct.

sittingon50
05-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I think Styles is correct.

MDABE80
05-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Fun start to the season. An early game with national coverage. Sounds good to me.

ZagNative
05-02-2013, 03:08 PM
It would be fun if Magic Johnson showed up. He's Jud's favorite player he ever coached.

That’s why the plan, if the games are finalized, is to invite every MSU player and student manager from Heathcote’s days at MSU (1976-95). MSU would fly everyone out to Spokane two days before the games and have a tribute event of some kind for Heathcote the day before the game.

DixieZag
05-02-2013, 03:51 PM
It would be fun if Magic Johnson showed up. He's Jud's favorite player he ever coached.

That would be icing on the cake. A huge basketball double header with the popular local teams and national power MSU - and if Magic came, one of the most beloved basketball players of all time. Call ESPN the moment the times are set.

GoZags
05-02-2013, 06:17 PM
I believe it's no more than 3 regular season games in a given arena in order to be able to play there during the NCAA tournament.

This

Zagdawg
05-02-2013, 06:39 PM
This would be a great event.

zagzilla
05-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Hope they work it out and make this happen

From ESPN on May 3

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/84211/3-point-shot-izzo-takes-on-draft-issues

Izzo also said Michigan State and Gonzaga are trying to finalize a game at Spokane (Wash.) Arena on Dec. 7 to honor the life of former Michigan State coach and current Spokane resident Jud Heathcote. Heathcote attends Gonzaga games when he is able. Izzo said the plan was to have a doubleheader involving the four schools Heathcote coached or has a strong affinity for: Michigan State, Gonzaga, Washington State and Montana. Montana coach Wayne Tinkle said he'd love to do it, but Washington State coach Ken Bone said he has a scheduling conflict.

KStyles
05-07-2013, 12:36 PM
I'd read that this morning and was wondering about it. The ESPN blurb mentions talking to Izzo 'yesterday' which would've been the same day the AD Hollis spoke to the Free Press and said Dec. 7th was a day that worked for all of them. Haven't seen anything else since, I'm not sure if one of them had bad information or....?

Zag@LMU
05-07-2013, 12:59 PM
This game essentially happened two seasons ago. :confused:

SteelZag
05-10-2013, 11:46 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/katz-3-point-shot Everything seems to have been worked out, per Katz.

ZagNative
05-10-2013, 12:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/katz-3-point-shot Everything seems to have been worked out, per Katz.Thanks for posting that. However, according to this mlive.com story (http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/05/michigan_state_basketball_game_37.html), the deal's not set yet:
Michigan State basketball game vs. Gonzaga in Spokane in jeopardy, Spartans coach Tom Izzo says

EAST LANSING — Michigan State coach Tom Izzo revealed that plans to play Gonzaga in Spokane, Wash., this season are still shaky.

"There are some snags in that one,'' Izzo said during an appearance on "The Drive with Jack Ebling" radio show on Lansing's 730 AM TheGame.
The Spartans recently learned they will be hosting North Carolina on Dec. 4 in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge, which might also make for a tight travel window across the nation.

ZagNative
05-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Late breaking, from the Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20130510/SPORTS07/305100097/michigan-state-basketball-gonzaga):

Jud Heathcote tribute and MSU's game vs. Gonzaga off, says Mark Hollis

EAST LANSING — Remove Gonzaga and the tribute event for Jud Heathcote from next season’s Michigan State basketball schedule.

“It’s not happening, officially,” MSU athletic director Mark Hollis told the Free Press today, after he and MSU director of basketball operations Kevin Pauga spent weeks trying to make it work.
ESPN.com reported today that Washington State had taken care of a scheduling conflict to be able to participate, but the event was shelved for good later in the day.

Scheduling, arena availability and financial arrangements were hurdles. MSU originally tried to schedule the event for opening weekend in November.

“With the logistics of it, with four teams involved and the timing of it,” Hollis said, “we just couldn’t get it done.”

Zagdawg
05-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Darn