PDA

View Full Version : Most likely to exceede:

DixieZag
05-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Maybe it would be good to take a time out from the recruiting front and look at what we have coming back with some optimistic glasses.

I would like to survey the board as to who people believe is the player that is going to most exceede expectations next year.

My first is Karno. I have been writing about how much I like him a lot so its no real secret. Just want to point out that playing behind Kelly and Elias is not a great spot to show your skills - and when the chance comes one might be pressing a little. He is a basketball player who is tall, not the other way around. He is mentally tough - I saw an Illini shove Kevin a little and he got a much bigger shove from Karno. When coach looks at Karno and says "I need you to aggressively score and rebound" I think he will respond and average 10 pts a game, 6 rbs, 3 blocks.

Second is Bell. I think he was hurt almost from the beginning of the year - I hope that isn't a pattern. I think he is selfless to a fault (a rare attribute) but will be taken aside by Few and told "Score, son" he has a beautiful jump shot, is able to get the elevation needed against athletic guards and can also go to the rim. I see him at 13 ppg, 6 rbds and 4 assists.

I would like to hear where others are placing their optimism - - pessimism seems to be well repped in other threads.

zag67
05-02-2013, 11:40 AM
I agree with your first ones but I think Coleman will be better than what people think lastly I think the team chemistry is going to be fantastic and that the rest the team will be better as a team if we get one more big it would be nice but we will be a very good team even without one

Zagdawg
05-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Even tho Coleman is like 5'6"-- I would love to see him come into the picture and exceed everyones expectations.

My second option is Pangos-- we know what he is capable of-- now a few more assists and consistency and he can be outstanding.

Go Zags

sittingon50
05-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Coleman=Spud Webb?

DixieZag
05-02-2013, 11:51 AM
I agree with your first ones but I think Coleman will be better than what people think lastly I think the team chemistry is going to be fantastic and that the rest the team will be better as a team if we get one more big it would be nice but we will be a very good team even without one

I have never seen Coleman play, from what I have read he is a rebounding 3 - and able to get to the rim. Don't see much about 3 pt shooting ability but we seem to have that covered pretty well. If he is able to take his man off the dribble that is a huge weapon b/c both Bell and Pangos can spot up while Sam/Karno could roll off.

Angelo Roncalli
05-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Coleman=Spud Webb?

He's not that tall.

BULLDOG#1
05-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Dranginis has an overall skill set that's touch to match. I look for major strides from him next year.

Can't argue with everything else listed here. KO an EH were so solid last year, it was tough for others to shine, even Pangos.

Coleman should give the zags a wing slasher they haven't had in a few years and PK's size alone should dominate some games.

I like Dranginis to exceed, though. He can back-up three positions and his IQ is off the charts.

cggonzaga
05-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Sam. As low as most on this board seem to be about him he can only exceed at this point.

From what I've heard about Coleman he's the real deal and a key piece to the cog next year. Not a great shooter but nobody can stop him from getting to the basket. Scorer not shooter as its been described to me. Have also heard he's the best athlete we've had in awhile.

willandi
05-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Threetar will get more air time. I expect improvement across the board, and likely Special K will be the biggest, unless we get 2 transfers that can play immediately.

DixieZag
05-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Here is a related bold prediction to exceede.

Karno will shoot better than .666% from the FT line. His problems were never mechanical, the ball wasn't chipping the paint, he has good form, and he improved throughout the year.

Once he has had a year of coaching from Dr. Krause, I see him as being a real weapon on the line.

titopoet
05-02-2013, 12:19 PM
When I saw Coleman last year in the Kraziness in the Kennel. He was routinely abusing any defender and getting to the rack at will. That was surprising because it was Hart for the most part. He had good quickness, but more than that, he had a knack for knifing in. I heard that the staff thinks he is the best slasher they ever had, and from what I see, I see their point. If he add a more consistent outside shot, the kid is money.

I think next years team is already in good hands.

BTB
05-02-2013, 12:26 PM
I think Coleman is likely to explode on to the scene, and I think Dower is going to be a beast. Karno will improve a lot but I don't think that should surprise anyone. Dranginis could but I doubt he will get enough playing time. Basically, I am extremely high on what we've got going into next year :)

zag buddy
05-02-2013, 12:30 PM
What I am excited about is the potential in our two new freshman,Mieke (?) and the young man from Montana, name escapes me. From what I have read each have displayed characterists which could make them very good basketball players. I would not be suprised if one of them contributes significantly.

UberZagFan
05-02-2013, 01:03 PM
most likely to exceede?

jazzdelmar
05-02-2013, 01:03 PM
most likely to exceede?

sure, olde englishe.

Reborn
05-02-2013, 01:10 PM
I'm betting on that guy that MDABE has been hiding from us. According to ABE he's pretty darn good. LOL

On a more serious note, I am betting on the Zags to be better than we expect them to be right now.

Now getting back to the issue of this thread I think the player that will exceed our expectations will be Gary Bell. I think Gary will have his best year yet, and will finally play the way we all believed he could play.

jazzdelmar
05-02-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm betting on that guy that MDABE has been hiding from us. According to ABE he's pretty darn good.

buy u a drink, Born, at the Last Chance Saloon.....

cjm720
05-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Our bigs - Dower and Karno. After losing an all-american in KO and one of the most productive bigs in a four year span at GU in Harris, I think the assumption is that we'll be down. Sure I think we''ll be more guard oriented, but I also think Dower and Karno will suprise a lot of folks and certainly help us win games. This thought process may change if we land MM. Can't wait to see it unfold...

Reborn
05-02-2013, 01:16 PM
buy u a drink, Born, at the Last Chance Saloon.....

Heck Im ready....we can chat all night about next year. lol thanks!

NotoriousZ
05-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Bell, easily. I expect him to have a monster year, and I'm a little stunned that it's a minority opinion around here.

DixieZag
05-02-2013, 03:03 PM
most likely to exceede?

When you consider my Canadian home mixed in naturalized "umerka" citizenship and then throw in a luke warm IQ - - I'm lucky to just get out a phonetic approximation to what I am tryiing to say.

UberZagFan
05-02-2013, 03:28 PM
When you consider my Canadian home mixed in naturalized "umerka" citizenship and then throw in a luke warm IQ - - I'm lucky to just get out a phonetic approximation to what I am tryiing to say.

That's funny. But Uber thinks you should have went with Jazz's explanation.

maynard g krebs
05-02-2013, 03:37 PM
I think Dower has the ability to be a 14-15 pt scorer given starter minutes. Late in the season he showed flashes of better defense and rebounding, though that was against WCC competition. If he can be adequate in those areas enough that he can stay on the floor, he can be a big time scorer.

Agree with the OP on Bell as well. Just has to be healthy and get back to the aggressive scoring mindset he had in big games in hs, and I really hope the coaches ask him to do that next yr. Six rebounds/4 assists is a bit much imo though; 4 and 3 would be great.

Expect a big jump from Karno as well. Disappointed w/ his rebounding last yr given his size and hands. No doubt about his scoring ability or his passing, but he should be able to rebound as well as guys like Samhan and Bryant did.

On the offensive end I think there's not much dropoff w/ the 2 returning bigs; just look at their fg %'s. It's the other half of the game that's more of a concern there, beyond the factor of needing a couple decent backups for depth (assuming the 2 fr bigs aren't ready).

hooter73
05-02-2013, 03:48 PM
every year i am wrong when I try to predict who will have the next big season. Do I want Dower and Bell to break out? Absolutely. Do I want KD to take off? Of course. Consistency of high level play from Pangos? Goes without saying. But exceeding expectations, I think we drained the well with KO this year on someone exceeding expectations.

I think Karno and Coleman will meet expectations and be really solid and fun to watch. Other than that, if I was a betting man Id be broke.

ID ZAGFAN
05-02-2013, 08:03 PM
ZaGranny and Mr. ID are going to exceed all fan expectations next year! In March I got our airlines tickets for the Maui Invitational, and made reservations for a B & B in Honolulu. Today I made our package reservations for the hotel and game tickets. We are going to go where ZaGranny and Mr. ID have never gone before--Hawaii! We plan to spend 3 days in Honolulu visiting places Mr. ID's father went when he was stationed there in 1944-45. Then 5 days in Maui with the tournament and 2 days to tour.

Once we have gone to Hawaii, we will have visited all 50 states and all Canadian provinces and territories.

How could we go wrong? Hawaii and the Zags!

ZaGranny

ID ZAGFAN
05-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Forgot to say that this trip is how we are celebrating our 30th anniversary which is coming up in August. What could be more perfect--Zags--Hawaii--30th anniversary?

ZaGranny

DixieZag
05-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Forgot to say that this trip is how we are celebrating our 30th anniversary which is coming up in August. What could be more perfect--Zags--Hawaii--30th anniversary?

ZaGranny

That sounds perfectly wonderful. Congratulations to both of you.

That would be hard to exceede or exceed.

jazzdelmar
05-03-2013, 03:17 AM
ZaGranny and Mr. ID are going to exceed all fan expectations next year! In March I got our airlines tickets for the Maui Invitational, and made reservations for a B & B in Honolulu. Today I made our package reservations for the hotel and game tickets. We are going to go where ZaGranny and Mr. ID have never gone before--Hawaii! We plan to spend 3 days in Honolulu visiting places Mr. ID's father went when he was stationed there in 1944-45. Then 5 days in Maui with the tournament and 2 days to tour.

Once we have gone to Hawaii, we will have visited all 50 states and all Canadian provinces and territories.

How could we go wrong? Hawaii and the Zags!

ZaGranny

Aloha, be sure to visit Iao Valley Monument on Maui.

scott257
05-03-2013, 06:46 AM
I have not had high expectations for Dower. I think he is good, but it seems like you never really see any fire out of him, just calm and pretty easy going. Having said that, I think he will be a surprise to many next year because I have seen it happen so many times before with other seniors in this program. It is like Coach Few has a sit down with them and explains to them that it is now their team as the senior leader. We saw it this year with Elias. Yes he had a couple of off games, but who would have thought he was going to be the leader that he was throughout this last season. Even with Kelly lighting it up, Elias was the man out there for Gonzaga with respect to being the floor leader. I expect that we will see a similar transformation with Sam - at least that is my hope.

hooter73
05-03-2013, 08:06 AM
But we saw the leadership from Harris before. I hope for good things but basically just more of what he is, not a new and different player. Dower gets fired up here and there, and he is a good spark, maybe more minutes will help but history says he is a good to great 6th man.

cjm720
05-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Dower's been waiting to start for 4 years. I think he'll thrive with the opportunity.

upan8th
05-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Can't see any of these rosy predictions panning out. The entire group will REGRESSE and we'll be damn lucky to finish in the top ten.

scott257
05-03-2013, 11:40 AM
But we saw the leadership from Harris before. I hope for good things but basically just more of what he is, not a new and different player. Dower gets fired up here and there, and he is a good spark, maybe more minutes will help but history says he is a good to great 6th man.

Yes, we did, but not to the extent that we did last season. Take it another step back - Sacre was much more the leader during his senior season than he was as a Junior. Every year a senior steps up and I think it is part of the culture.

DixieZag
05-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Can't see any of these rosy predictions panning out. The entire group will REGRESSE and we'll be damn lucky to finish in the top ten.

Wow, sometimes The rush to bottomless cynicism is astonishing. I guess I will be quite happy if my beloved WCC school regresses to finish only in the top 10 in the nation next year. I can understand tempered expectations but flatly stating that the entire group will regres? That seems to be rooted in bitterness more than anything.

Oregonzagnut
05-03-2013, 11:54 AM
I think Dower and Karno need to take some acting classes. If they can't stay in character during a game, maybe they can learn to stay in character in a play. Sometimes you have to convince yourself you rule rather than let a missed shot or a blown assignment take you out of your character.

Anyone who gets rattled and loses concentration can use acting courses. If you can't be superman for real, sometimes it just helps to act like him. Most people won't know the difference between real confidence or learned confidence.

dower just needs that consistent confidence to do what he does best offensively. then know that everything else defensively, if he tries 110%! will be gravy.

Kelly Olynyk played the part of superstar. Not only in his statistics, but also in his demeanor, his confidence and his charisma of being the leader. All those things he learned in his redshirt. IMO, he learned to not be passive. Apparently Few allows the guys to be aggressive and develop the on-court leadership that Mark Few cannot provide in any game or season. Few loosened his reigns this season only to tighten them up in the Dance.

This program is not even close to its highest heights!!!! Even Few is still learning and his idea of "nastiness" is something that will again be allowed to develop in this program.

U Zig, I Zag
05-03-2013, 11:58 AM
I think Dower and Karno need to take some acting classes. If they can't stay in character during a game, maybe they can learn to stay in character in a play. Sometimes you have to convince yourself you rule rather than let a missed shot or a blown assignment take you out of your character.

Anyone who gets rattled and loses concentration can use acting courses. If you can't be superman for real, sometimes it just helps to act like him. Most people won't know the difference between real confidence or learned confidence.

dower just needs that consistent confidence to do what he does best offensively. then know that everything else defensively, if he tries 110%! will be gravy.

Kelly Olynyk played the part of superstar. Not only in his statistics, but also in his demeanor, his confidence and his charisma of being the leader. All those things he learned in his redshirt. IMO, he learned to not be passive. Apparently Few allows the guys to be aggressive and develop the on-court leadership that Mark Few cannot provide in any game or season. Few loosened his reigns this season only to tighten them up in the Dance.

This program is not even close to its highest heights!!!! Even Few is still learning and his idea of "nastiness" is something that will again be allowed to develop in this program.

+1

maynard g krebs
05-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Wow, sometimes The rush to bottomless cynicism is astonishing. I guess I will be quite happy if my beloved WCC school regresses to finish only in the top 10 in the nation next year. I can understand tempered expectations but flatly stating that the entire group will regres? That seems to be rooted in bitterness more than anything.

I think you may have just been whooshed. Pretty subtle, but detectable as sarcasm nonetheless. Regresse and lucky to finish top 10 are sort of the giveaways.

DixieZag
05-03-2013, 12:24 PM
I think you may have just been whooshed. Pretty subtle, but detectable as sarcasm nonetheless. Regresse and lucky to finish top 10 are sort of the giveaways.

Perhaps you are right! and if I have been, then I say well played and am kind of chuckling.

It's kinda telling though that such sarcasm does not exactly stand out as obvious in and of itself. . .

So, while I am adding extra "e"s to topic threads, I guess I can label myself as "naive-e" to a fault.

jazzdelmar
05-03-2013, 12:28 PM

Either that or Dixie has jumped the shark.

DixieZag
05-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Either that or Dixie has jumped the shark.

Not mutually exclusive.

I was born half way over the shark.

Oregonzagnut
05-03-2013, 02:58 PM
I'll volunteer to jump the shark if I get to be, The Fonz. Gotta take the highs with the lows in life.

When it's your time to "Jump the Shark", don't fall in.

Gonzaga has not Jumped the Shark yet. Final Four! Here we come!

jazzdelmar
05-03-2013, 03:10 PM
I'll volunteer to jump the shark if I get to be, The Fonz. Gotta take the highs with the lows in life.

When it's your time to "Jump the Shark", don't fall in.

Gonzaga has not Jumped the Shark yet. Final Four! Here we come!

No, Gonzaga the team has not jumped the shark, but maybe ......