PDA

View Full Version : Arizona transfer considers Zags

Section 116
05-01-2013, 07:22 PM
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/01/report-arizona-sophomore-power-forward-angelo-chol-to-transfer/

And a Slipper Still Fits tweet:

Slipper Still Fits ‏@slipperstillfit 1h
Per @scottsommer21, #Gonzaga has interest in Arizona transfer Angelo Chol. Staff definitely is active in building up the future frontcourt.

More:
Scott Sommer‏@scottsommer21
Hearing Gonzaga is another strong possibility for Chol. Both schools are currently the finalists for fifth-year Tulane transfer Josh Davis.

gonwick
05-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Chol is a physical specimen but has a limited tool set.

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Sign him up.

madness
05-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Chol would need to redshirt and I believe that year would be integral in developing his offensive game. I bet many big men are noticing Kelly's development at GU into a possible lottery big. (As CDC predicted would happen)

I would take Chol in a Spokane second.

MDABE80
05-01-2013, 08:09 PM
THAT is one fine player. I wonder why he's leaving....not in a negative way.....Is Uof A's new folks THAT good? Sounds like it with Gordon.
This would be a very very good kid to have here.

MickMick
05-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Not really skilled, but still a beast.

He would be a very nice addition, albeit a role player. A tough role player.

jimmycarter
05-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Didn't somebody in these parts recently say that we could really use a Kuso 2.0? Chol could very well be that guy...

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Maybe it's just me, but the guy averaged a whopping 1.9 ppg his sophomore year, down from 2.8 ppg as a frosh. Did I mention that he shot 44% from the field as a 6.9 pf? Uh.....................what am I missing here:confused::confused:

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2013, 09:02 PM
THAT is one fine player. I wonder why he's leaving....not in a negative way.....Is Uof A's new folks THAT good? Sounds like it with Gordon.
This would be a very very good kid to have here.

Based on what? 'Cause it's not on anything that he's done on the court.

ZagaZags
05-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Damn, who knew? BTW SDSU is the favorite at this time.

ZagaZags
05-01-2013, 09:10 PM

upan8th
05-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Kelly's transformation was based on refining a skill-set already in place. Can we just stop, RIGHT NOW, in thinking that it can happen with a player like Chol, who has no shot, no footwork, & very few offensive skills in the post. He has height & hops--that's it.

Have seen Chol play since his junior year in HS and he's pretty much now what he was then. Was buried in the depth chart at AZ by dudes who would only have seen single digit minutes last season at GU. Starting to sound a little desperate around here. Why is that, Abe?

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Maybe it's just me, but the guy averaged a whopping 1.9 ppg his sophomore year, down from 2.8 ppg as a frosh. Did I mention that he shot 44% from the field as a 6.9 pf? Uh.....................what am I missing here:confused::confused:

What were KO's numbers as a underclassmen?

U Zig, I Zag
05-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Didn't somebody in these parts recently say that we could really use a Kuso 2.0? Chol could very well be that guy...

Yup. We need a springy ball hound.

hooter73
05-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Davis and Moser. Thanks.

SteelZag
05-01-2013, 09:47 PM

KO averaged 3.8 PPG as a frosh and 5.8 PPG as a soph shooting .574 FG.

MDABE80
05-01-2013, 09:47 PM
We have 4 very good candidates to replace 2 very good bigs. Upan...I don't understand "why is that" comment.
Chol's offense is easily upgradable.........KO's wasnt much for his first 2 years. he spent the time.........he had some guard skill but little big man skills till his last year. He did the work and he had good coaches who stuck with him.
No reason why a better athlete can't do the same.
Right now, the graduations are coming up this next weekend. Expect more after that.
We'd get clobbered if we were luring openly kids from other places. GU doesn't operate outside the rules. More soon...........book it.

RRZagFan
05-01-2013, 09:48 PM
a little write up about him
http://westcoastconvo.com/2013/05/01/angelo-chol-to-transfer-from-arizona-is-a-wcc-team-a-landing-spot/

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2013, 09:52 PM

ppg was double Chol's and his shooting % was way higher. 44% from the field for a big is flat out atrocious. Chol is not a good bball player; at all.

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2013, 09:54 PM
We have 4 very good candidates to replace 2 very good bigs. Upan...I don't understand "why is that" comment.
Chol's offense is easily upgradable.........KO's wasnt much for his first 2 years. he spent the time.........he had some guard skill but little big man skills till his last year. He did the work and he had good coaches who stuck with him.
No reason why a better athlete can't do the same.
Right now, the graduations are coming up this next weekend. Expect more after that.
We'd get clobbered if we were luring openly kids from other places. GU doesn't operate outside the rules. More soon...........book it.

I can only surmise from your posts that this is the guy that you've been gloating about and posting smiley faces for. There's no other explanation for your hype of such a pedestrian player. If that's the case, all I can say is this is as underwhelming as New Coke. Angelo Chol is a terrible basketball player.

madness
05-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Spy, you may want to simmer down a bit...he will be redshirting 2013-14 and has a year to develop. Plenty of kids have transformed in a new environment with an extra year to gain offensive skillsets.

Josh Davis could probably fit into this category...I know you are fond of him as a player.

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Kelly's transformation was based on refining a skill-set already in place. Can we just stop, RIGHT NOW, in thinking that it can happen with a player like Chol, who has no shot, no footwork, & very few offensive skills in the post. He has height & hops--that's it.

Have seen Chol play since his junior year in HS and he's pretty much now what he was then. Was buried in the depth chart at AZ by dudes who would only have seen single digit minutes last season at GU. Starting to sound a little desperate around here. Why is that, Abe?

Yeah, I honestly don't get the infatuation with this guy, he's terrible at the game of basketball. :confused:

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Spy, you may want to simmer down a bit...he will be redshirting 2013-14 and has a year to develop. Plenty of kids have transformed in a new environment with an extra year to gain offensive skillsets.

Josh Davis could probably fit into this category...I know you are fond of him as a player.

Are you aware of how condescending this sounds? I'm a man of very little talent, but I'm pretty good at evaluating bball talent. I've gotten a few wrong over the years, but my hits have been way more than my misses. Angelo Chol shows no ability whatsoever to play the game of basketball at a high level. This isn't a personal attack, I'm sure he's a fine young man, but I am a diehard Gonzaga bball fan and want players that excel at the game to be on the team. What has he shown you to tell you that he is good at basketball and would make you take him in a "Spokane minute" as you put it? Specifics please.

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2013, 10:07 PM
After looking back at my posts, I'm gonna do a bit of retraction and say that he would be an okay big for depth. I realized that he would sit out all of next year and even if we got JD and MM, both, along with Sammy would only be here for one season, so we need roster depth. If he can up his numbers to something like 7/5 in 20 mpg, that's not bad.

SteelZag
05-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Davis and Moser. Thanks.

Am I the only one who feels Davis and Moser would make for a crowded frontcourt next season. Both players are used to playing 35 MPG. That would leave even less playing time for Dower and PK, something I don't think would benefit either player. If the Zags were to lose Sam mentally I think we would be subtracting by addition. I've read many who feel PK could use a RS year and I can't deny that it wouldn't hurt. I just realize that he could just as easily RS at Miami, Duke, Kentucky or any other top 25 team.

MDABE80
05-01-2013, 10:21 PM
I can only surmise from your posts that this is the guy that you've been gloating about and posting smiley faces for. There's no other explanation for your hype of such a pedestrian player. If that's the case, all I can say is this is as underwhelming as New Coke. Angelo Chol is a terrible basketball player.

Nope I never thought about him leaving Arizona. Gloat? Nope. You're sounding a bit unhinged. Angry even. I guess this who recruitment issue will be clarifed on its own timetable. Not soon enough for you. I don't control it.
Few and the staff control that. I do know that GU has plenty of competition that wasn't on the table a few weeks ago.

maynard g krebs
05-01-2013, 10:32 PM
From what I've seen of Chol, the Kuso comp is a pretty good one. Pretty sure he was a top 100 recruit due to size/build/athleticism; may have developed more by now if he'd gone somewhere he could play a lot. Who knows. Nothing wrong with getting a guy who can bang, block a few and rebound.

As to the development of KO and how it relates to future redshirts, I think way too much is being made of that. KO was a unique case- a guy who grew and matured really late. The workouts he did probably were great, but just having his coordination/strength catch up to his late growth was a bigger deal imo.

Expecting any future redshirt to blow up half as much as KO is wishful thinking. He is unique. A guy like Chol was rated high because he was highly developed physically in hs; the opposite of KO in that and in terms of skill level.

Saxon_zag
05-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Always thought chol looked incredibly Raw when I would watch UA play. Would have to see more of him to know for sure but I didn't walk away exactly impressed in the 4-5 times i've seen him. Kuso type player?

edit: Didn't see down the thread where the Kuso comparison was already made. I agree

ZagaZags
05-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Was a 4 star recruit out of San Diego. He was looked at as a long term project. He had offers from Arizona, Kansas, North Carolina and Washington.

And yes, this was the Pac-12 player I was talking about a few months ago. Sorry I could NOT give his name while he was still at Arizona.

jazzdelmar
05-02-2013, 02:58 AM
A stiff in high school here in SD and worse at Zona. Half the prospect Karmo is.

ZagaZags
05-02-2013, 03:04 AM
This guy would have to sit out a year. SDSU is where he could land.

jazzdelmar
05-02-2013, 03:06 AM

Dreamily I thought u were referring to Nick Johnson. Sigh. Can't see him contributing w coach Fish who likes springy bigs, ZZ.

ZagaZags
05-02-2013, 03:10 AM
Dreamily I thought u were referring to Nick Johnson. Sigh. Can't see him contributing w coach Fish who likes springy bigs, ZZ.

I love Nick too, but Chol had some big teams that offered. Not bad for a stiff.

jazzdelmar
05-02-2013, 03:28 AM

U know high school offers mean little now, ZZ. Look at the offers Dower, Bell and Karmo allegedly got.

23dpg
05-02-2013, 05:19 AM
U know high school offers mean little now, ZZ. Look at the offers Dower, Bell and Karmo allegedly got.

Holy cow Jazz, you are very down on GU basketball right now, even for you.

Cmon, sing it with me: The sun'll come up, tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar.....

jazzdelmar
05-02-2013, 05:31 AM
Holy cow Jazz, you are very down on GU basketball right now, even for you.

Cmon, sing it with me: The sun'll come up, tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar.....

Annie, (lol) Just saying that high school huzzahs and stars and all that don't mean squat when a kid starts working through college like Choi. Duke was after Karno (see?), Bell by blue bloods in the west, and SD by some midwest powers. You have to agree none of them --- yet -- have lived up to those billings, yes? I add that 80% of the kids in the country are overrecruited/overrated so its def not a GU thing only.

Pargo the Destroyer
05-02-2013, 06:26 AM
Chol is a physical specimen but has a limited tool set.

Thats what she said.

HenneZag
05-02-2013, 06:35 AM
Remember watching this guy play against the Zags last year and many times this year as well, and to me he plays stiff. I would take any big on our roster over Chol hands down. SDSU is a big player for him, and for some reason if he decides to go that direction maybe that will make us more appealing for Josh Davis the Tulane transfer who apparently has narrowed down to SDSU and GU.

Saying all that, Chol would provide some depth in our frontcourt, and if thats the best option we have then I say bring him in.

rijman
05-02-2013, 06:46 AM
So Chol would have to redshirt after already playing 2 seasons, that never works out, does it?

cjm720
05-02-2013, 06:50 AM
He would be a great fit and help our depth. Coaches will turn him into a very good player in the WCC

thespywhozaggedme
05-02-2013, 06:50 AM

Kelly averaged 35ppg his senior year in high school and showed glimpses of promise during his first two years, plus he had great games for the Canadian senior mens team against NBA players. He was never a stiff.

thespywhozaggedme
05-02-2013, 06:51 AM
Nope I never thought about him leaving Arizona. Gloat? Nope. You're sounding a bit unhinged. Angry even. I guess this who recruitment issue will be clarifed on its own timetable. Not soon enough for you. I don't control it.
Few and the staff control that. I do know that GU has plenty of competition that wasn't on the table a few weeks ago.

Sorry for the tone of my post last night; I was in a lot of pain with my neck and hopped up on loritabs. My apologies.

thespywhozaggedme
05-02-2013, 06:53 AM

And Ammo had one schollie. Recruiting is an inexact science.

thespywhozaggedme
05-02-2013, 06:56 AM
Remember watching this guy play against the Zags last year and many times this year as well, and to me he plays stiff. I would take any big on our roster over Chol hands down. SDSU is a big player for him, and for some reason if he decides to go that direction maybe that will make us more appealing for Josh Davis the Tulane transfer who apparently has narrowed down to SDSU and GU.

Saying all that, Chol would provide some depth in our frontcourt, and if thats the best option we have then I say bring him in.

You're thinking how I was thinking last night, but after I cooled down, I realized that the two situations are mutually exclusive. JD and MM are immediately eligible to play this year, their senior year. Chol would have to sit out this year as a red shirt and then play after MM, JD and Sammy D graduate. Chol has no bearing whatsoever on the two big transfers that we're going after.

HenneZag
05-02-2013, 06:59 AM
Honestly I don't think their is even a comparison. KO has a much bigger skillset, and is a great shooter every spot on the floor, Chol is more of a one trick pony.

Like I have mentioned, if we are in desperate need and have a shot at him if we lose out on Moser and Davis, then I say it would be a smart pickup to provide some stability to our frontcourt.

thespywhozaggedme
05-02-2013, 07:01 AM
Honestly I don't think their is even a comparison. KO has a much bigger skillset, and is a great shooter every spot on the floor, Chol is more of a one trick pony.

Like I have mentioned, if we are in desperate need and have a shot at him if we lose out on Moser and Davis, then I say it would be a smart pickup to provide some stability to our frontcourt.

You didn't read my post that I quoted you. Chol has nothing to do with MM and JD, they're different years.

HenneZag
05-02-2013, 07:03 AM
I think I browsed right past it...

I keep forgetting that Chol has no immediate impact due to him having to sit out.

willandi
05-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Isn't there anybody out there, high school, JC, Div 1 transfer, that is good enough to play for Gonzaga? Please help us!

titopoet
05-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Annie, (lol) Just saying that high school huzzahs and stars and all that don't mean squat when a kid starts working through college like Choi. Duke was after Karno (see?), Bell by blue bloods in the west, and SD by some midwest powers. You have to agree none of them --- yet -- have lived up to those billings, yes? I add that 80% of the kids in the country are overrecruited/overrated so its def not a GU thing only.

Karno, Bell and SD ... "You have to agree none of them" No, basketball people don't have to agree.

On of the toughest things is to evaluate players that are called to play a role on a team. Last year team had option 1, 2, and 3 as KO, EH and KP. Karno was asked to backup KO, and he did that. How will he respond to being asked to more responsibility, more scoring and being one of the top 3 options, no one knows. Again, no one knows.
But judging by how he performed in his role, I have no doubts he will perform very well and not only me, the NBA guys, you know the guys who do player evals to put food on the table for their kids still see him as 1st rounder.

Bell, had a bad year for his standards. His standards when compared with his freshman year. Again, if, God Forbid, he decided to transfer, he would have a long list of suitors from top 25 programs. Same for Sam. Sam has been called to be the spark guy off the bench. How would he do if he had more responsibility?

So, no I don't have agree... and neither do the pros in scouting, recruiting, and evaluating talent. If a guy is the 4th or 5th option called upon to do dirty work, he will not have earth shattering stats. Kelly Olynyk played behind Sacre and his numbers reflect playing as a backup. When he got the chance, he shined. Karno, I believe, will shine next year. Kid is too big, with too good of hands and Basketball IQ not to.

cjm720
05-02-2013, 07:16 AM
Karno, Bell and SD ... "You have to agree none of them" No, basketball people don't have to agree.

On of the toughest things is to evaluate players that are called to play a role on a team. Last year team had option 1, 2, and 3 as KO, EH and KP. Karno was asked to backup KO, and he did that. How will he respond to being asked to more responsibility, more scoring and being one of the top 3 options, no one knows. Again, no one knows.
But judging by how he performed in his role, I have no doubts he will perform very well and not only me, the NBA guys, you know the guys who do player evals to put food on the table for their kids still see him as 1st rounder.

Bell, had a bad year for his standards. His standards when compared with his freshman year. Again, if, God Forbid, he decided to transfer, he would have a long list of suitors from top 25 programs. Same for Sam. Sam has been called to be the spark guy off the bench. How would he do if he had more responsibility?

So, no I don't have agree... and neither do the pros in scouting, recruiting, and evaluating talent. If a guy is the 4th or 5th option called upon to do dirty work, he will not have earth shattering stats. Kelly Olynyk played behind Sacre and his numbers reflect playing as a backup. When he got the chance, he shined. Karno, I believe, will shine next year. Kid is too big, with too good of hands and Basketball IQ not too.

Great post, Tito. How can some not envision improvement?

HenneZag
05-02-2013, 07:23 AM
I think Moser and Davis both fit the bill of a quality transfer that could help us.

thespywhozaggedme
05-02-2013, 09:24 AM
I think I browsed right past it...

I keep forgetting that Chol has no immediate impact due to him having to sit out.

Yup, me too. That was one of my reasons for the over the top rantings last night. That and the loritab. :)

jazzdelmar
05-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Yup, me too. That was one of my reasons for the over the top rantings last night. That and the loritab. :)

xanax.

MDABE80
05-02-2013, 10:26 AM
no drugs before posting.
I saw Chol in HS and he looked like he was a big time kid. Not so much at AZ.
Still though, he's a good athlete. Perhaps the training here would match his game to his frame.

thespywhozaggedme
05-02-2013, 10:42 AM
xanax.

Nope, never touched the stuff in my life. I'm a total square, never tired ###, coke or any drug, well, I may have tried steroids when I was 22, not sure if it was real or not. I have been administered Demerol before and now I know how people can get hooked on heroin; I knew my guts were being ripped out, but I felt so euphoric. How 'bout you?

hahaha, P.O.T is censored here. That's funny, especially considering that it is now legal there.

ZagsObserver
05-02-2013, 10:43 AM
He's a tremendous athlete but also a tremendous project. Because Gonzaga also has 2 projects coming in next year I don't think they can afford a third. It could be a risky proposition

Zippyzaggy
05-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Maybe we'll still get Goodluck Okonoboh or Brekkott Chapman, and/or Malik Pope?

No reason to think we are free falling out of the national picture for evermore if Moser & Davis don't come. We can survive next year with Dower and Karnowski and not redshirt Edwards & Meikle. Nunoz can fill in at the four as well.

DixieZag
05-02-2013, 11:26 AM
I truly don't understand the pessimism regarding Karno. All the guy did is at 18 get on an airplane fly all the way from eastern eurupe, by all accounts blend in well at the school, immediately became one of the guys and at the beginning of the year, everything seemed to roll in.

He had trouble with bounces off his gimmies later in the year, he has leaping/positioning issues and is reluctant to dunk the ball.

Still, he has wonderful hands, no one is scared when he gets the pass at the high post, he sees the court well, I saw the fight in him during the Illinois game where I thought he was one of the few players who pushed back and wasn't threatened (also saw him push aside a guy jawing at Pangos).

I have always been very optimistic about him. In part b/c I truly admire a young man who can leave everything behind at his age - he is way ahead of where I was maturity wise at that age.

I think he is going to be a big asset this year.

JAGzag
05-02-2013, 11:40 AM
I truly don't understand the pessimism regarding Karno. All the guy did is at 18 get on an airplane fly all the way from eastern eurupe, by all accounts blend in well at the school, immediately became one of the guys and at the beginning of the year, everything seemed to roll in.

He had trouble with bounces off his gimmies later in the year, he has leaping/positioning issues and is reluctant to dunk the ball.

Still, he has wonderful hands, no one is scared when he gets the pass at the high post, he sees the court well, I saw the fight in him during the Illinois game where I thought he was one of the few players who pushed back and wasn't threatened (also saw him push aside a guy jawing at Pangos).

I have always been very optimistic about him. In part b/c I truly admire a young man who can leave everything behind at his age - he is way ahead of where I was maturity wise at that age.

Dixie, great post, thank you. Totally agree with your thoughts. Kid has great hands and moves well for a big guy (unlike with Rob had the ball down low, I never worry about Karno getting stripped). We all suffer from instant stardom on this board - where every recruit must be an AA the instant they play. You can't teach size and Karno has the tools; my only concern is his play in Poland this summer. Leaving for national teams has NEVER helped our players (wish he pulled a summer of KO training).

Angelo Roncalli
05-02-2013, 11:46 AM

I'm with Dixie.

I went to the BIS with a friend of mine who is a former D-1 PF who was coached by Don Monson and who at one time had a job offer to become an assistant at Michigan State under Heathcote. After watching Karnowski play a few minutes in the first half, my buddy poked me in the ribs and said: "He's good; he's really, really good. He's got great hands."

I watched Karnowski score handily against Cory Violette in a practice in mid-October. Cory's comment to me when he came off the floor: "wow!"

One of the GU coaches told me in October that Karnowski would likely be the best center to play at GU. I take what this coach says seriously. Three years ago, after Kelly's freshman season, this same coach told me that Kelly was the player on that year's team most likely to play in the NBA.

I stood next to Karnowski back in October and watched him practice; I talked to him at length a couple of weeks ago in the MAC. His body has morphed considerably in 6 months. I expect he will continue to add muscle and flexibility and improve his skills.

sittingon50
05-02-2013, 12:09 PM
I mentioned Kuso in relation to a prospect a few weeks back (don't recall who). I would take a guy like him on the team EVERY year! Clean up the garbage & dunk everything around the basket & block shots.

I have no idea what Chol's asperations are, but if he can at least perform the above 2 items, is a good kid & is happy to fill a role, bring him on.

gu03alum
05-02-2013, 12:10 PM
I appreciate you sharing that Angelo.

U Zig, I Zag
05-02-2013, 12:31 PM
re: karno

Karno is dunk city compared to Sacre. I am looking to see a leaner, meaner Karno.

Reborn
05-02-2013, 12:44 PM
People forget Karno is a freshman. Do you remember Sacre his freshman year. PK is ten times as good. It takes centers longer to develop at GU from what i've seen in the last 12 years. Angelo is right on as usual.

UberZagFan
05-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Anyone seen Spangler lately?

Saxon_zag
05-02-2013, 12:59 PM

Huh? Who #### in your cereal Jazz? What expectations did you have for Karno? I don't think you can really say he fell short of anything, he looked like a great prospect in the minutes he got and was in a crowded front court. It's no wonder schools like Duke were interested.

OZZY
05-02-2013, 06:37 PM
In Karno I trust........

zag67
05-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Dixie, i agree with you. I also think that Karnowski is going to make many people eat their comments. He was a freshman and showed he can dominate smaller players. This year he will get more time and I think that next year we will see the true big man. P.s. we might not be fantastic, but even if we do not get any new players for next year I think that we will be better than many feel. I am working now on getting ready for Vegas

Go zags.

Ekrub
05-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Count me in on the Karnowski bandwagon. Sam Dower too. I think we'll be good next year. Real good. Pangos Bell Coleman Dower Karnowski. I'm feeling it. Would like a little more depth but I think these guys can take us to the promise land

Saxon_zag
05-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Yeah I don't know how anyone could be down on Karno. Dude is gonna be a beast for us. Fews flat out refusal to utilize him or any of the bench really in the 2nd half of late season and tourney games was baffling.

Pleasant Peninsula
05-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Fews flat out refusal to utilize him or any of the bench really in the 2nd half of late season and tourney games was baffling.

Oh, he utilized Stockton plenty off the bench. :/

cjm720
05-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Yeah I don't know how anyone could be down on Karno. Dude is gonna be a beast for us. Fews flat out refusal to utilize him or any of the bench really in the 2nd half of late season and tourney games was baffling.

All coaches shorten the rotation at the end of the season. You want your best players on the floor. Love Karno but he wasn't to the level of KO or Harris, and that's fairly obvious.

gamagin
05-03-2013, 08:02 AM
I'm with Dixie.

I went to the BIS with a friend of mine who is a former D-1 PF who was coached by Don Monson and who at one time had a job offer to become an assistant at Michigan State under Heathcote. After watching Karnowski play a few minutes in the first half, my buddy poked me in the ribs and said: "He's good; he's really, really good. He's got great hands."

I watched Karnowski score handily against Cory Violette in a practice in mid-October. Cory's comment to me when he came off the floor: "wow!"

One of the GU coaches told me in October that Karnowski would likely be the best center to play at GU. I take what this coach says seriously. Three years ago, after Kelly's freshman season, this same coach told me that Kelly was the player on that year's team most likely to play in the NBA.

I stood next to Karnowski back in October and watched him practice; I talked to him at length a couple of weeks ago in the MAC. His body has morphed considerably in 6 months. I expect he will continue to add muscle and flexibility and improve his skills.

Soft hands, coordinated, tall and (maybe even growing a bit more).

So which is harder to do, get this kid up to speed in the game ? Or develop soft hands, coordination and height ?

VinnyZag
05-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Listened to the ESPNU college basketball podcast just now. Greenberg thinks GU will only have Karnowski one more year and compared him to Arvydas Sabonis. Katz said GU will play through Karnowski next year.

Hoopaholic
05-03-2013, 08:56 AM
what Karno will give us is the true back to the basket post player that coaches will need to decide how they are playing him, straight up, strong side double down, top side double down or weakside double down.

Little closer to Sacre and Batista style of play but better in my opinion in regards to controlling the block and holding opposing players accountable for their spacing and decision making.

I believe we will see a much more open offense flowing the ball side to side and making the defense pay either with post action being sealed or outside spot up for good looks....

I personally am excited

jazzdelmar
05-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Listened to the ESPNU college basketball podcast just now. Greenberg thinks GU will only have Karnowski one more year and compared him to Arvydas Sabonis. Katz said GU will play through Karnowski next year.

a pair of zag hand puppets....c'mon, you know that.

hooter73
05-03-2013, 11:33 AM
ummmm no. Guard U next year.

Bogozags
05-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Soft hands, coordinated, tall and (maybe even growing a bit more).

So which is harder to do, get this kid up to speed in the game ? Or develop soft hands, coordination and height ?

Really good point...you can't coach any of those traits...they are given at conception...imo

All those that a concerned about Karno are worry worts...he will have a very productive season and will most likely be talked about many times by those CB analysts on ESPN...just hope we can land either Moser or Davis to share those 80 minutes of PT...

ZagaZags
05-08-2013, 02:41 PM

Shocker!

willandi
05-08-2013, 03:29 PM
All those that a concerned about Karno are worry worts...

So true, but please, wort is a stage of beer making. Don't let those worry warts have that too! LOL

ZagaZags
05-17-2013, 02:42 AM
Shocker!

I was told back in February that he wanted to go to a west coast top 25 program. Gonzaga was in the mix but SDSU wins again. Wow I took a lot of heat for that one. So now I will keep my mouth shut on anything coming up. Even if I know someone is in the mix.

ZagaZags
05-17-2013, 03:50 AM
I was told back in February that he wanted to go to a west coast top 25 program. Gonzaga was in the mix but SDSU wins again. Wow I took a lot of heat for that one. So now I will keep my mouth shut on anything coming up. Even if I know someone is in the mix.

TSSF reported Gonzaga had no interest in him. I can understand that while going after Moser and Davis. Chol had no place at Gonzaga. I wonder if they would like him now?

SDSU has landed players Skyler Spencer, La Bradford Franklin, Josh Davis, Angelo Chol and I think Gonzaga offered Winston Shepard. All players that had some interest in Gonzaga in the last 3 years.

Oregonzagnut
05-17-2013, 10:22 AM
So true, but please, wort is a stage of beer making. Don't let those worry warts have that too! LOL

I'm worried about my wort. It's not fermenting.

cjm720
05-17-2013, 11:26 AM
TSSF reported Gonzaga had no interest in him. I can understand that while going after Moser and Davis. Chol had no place at Gonzaga. I wonder if they would like him now?

I can't comment (i.e., don't know) about the coaches interest in Chol, but going after David and Moser would no way affect going after Chol. Moser/Davis can play immediately if acedemically eligible, but Chol has to wait one full year due to transfer rules.