PDA

View Full Version : The Moser Decision Thread

BobZag
05-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Just about anytime now... Tonight, tomorrow... We'll know if we hit a homer or struck out. Here's hoping the Zags are Hank Aaron this week.

jpwils
05-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Mike,

You can help us go back to the Big Dance and get to Final four or better.

We need you more!

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Is going back to UNLV still an option? Formally cutting ties with the old school is probably a prereq to going on visits to other schools, right?

GoZags
05-01-2013, 02:23 PM
The UCLA Premium Board has a thread about one of their Boardmembers being on Moser's flight to Spokane. He said Few was at the airport waiting for Mike and overheard the two of them talking about Moser's dad who was due to arrive in Spokane the following morning.

Here's hoping the trip went well for father and son.

We will soon see.

TravelinZag
05-01-2013, 02:25 PM
BZ, do we know? How many credits does he need? Any problems obtaining his release? Wouldn't wish a Sandi Marcius/Purdue on him (or anyone) or as a blow to what could be exciting news for the Zags.

jazzdelmar
05-01-2013, 02:27 PM
The UCLA Premium Board has a thread about one of their Boardmembers being on Moser's flight to Spokane. He said Few was at the airport waiting for Mike and overheard the two of them talking about Moser's dad who was due to arrive in Spokane the following morning.

Here's hoping the trip went well for father and son.

We will soon see.

Sort of OT: Mike Moser
BruinReportonline.com (subscription)-Apr 29, 2013
MM was on my flight tonight into Spokane wearing UNLV attire. He was met at the gate by Coach Mark Few and his daughter. Overheard that ...

Pargo the Destroyer
05-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Are we even certain he visited........you know... The whole Perkins thing and all...

tinfoilzag
05-01-2013, 03:03 PM
So tempting to start a thread saying that the GUBoards are reporting that a post on a UCLA board stated that one of the UCLA boardmembers who was on a flight with Moser heard Few and Moser talking about his Dad arriving in Spokane.

Angelo Roncalli
05-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Are we even certain he visited........you know... The whole Perkins thing and all...

Was it Moser...

Or his shadow?

Love, Plato

BobZag
05-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Why am I thinking Manti Teo? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

MDABE80
05-01-2013, 03:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ZVpOvRfIs

Hey Mikey You can be great like Aaron Rogers!! Come!

kitzbuel
05-01-2013, 03:27 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a7/The_Thinker_Columbia.JPG/450px-The_Thinker_Columbia.JPG

NotoriousZ
05-01-2013, 03:47 PM
http://www.teesforall.com/images/Family_Guy_Stinker_Black_Shirt.jpg

We soon shall see.
http://redbirdsuite.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/will-ferrell-top-11-terrence-maddox_288x288.jpg

GoZags
05-01-2013, 05:34 PM
I would be leery of deeming anything that happens as a "stinker". Sure, some fans have become invested in some prospects that the Board knows about and that's great. They would be great fits for our program.

That being said it wasn't that long ago that the ball didn't bounce the Zag's way vis a vis a big man and his eligibility. Plan B (unknown at the time to the Board) turned out okay even if Spokane winters didn't mirror Paris quite as much as what the PSA was led to believe. I don't think anyone thinks that was a stinker.

MickMick
05-01-2013, 08:17 PM
I think he would be an immediate starter.

That new Arena for the Ducks is dazzling though. They will become a PAC power sooner, rather than later. I would not be shocked if Moser chose UO. Tough choice for him.

Zippyzaggy
05-02-2013, 10:41 AM
OK...I'll play:

1. Davis has been the reach. He will not be able to get his credits together. Pretty much a waste of time, energy, and resources? Perhaps the Tulane coaches have been playing him like a fish. Acting like he has all these opportunities, yet the plan all along was to keep him.

2. Moser will choose Oregon. The Tourney run for them, and our hasty exit cost us plenty.

That was not real fun.

maynard g krebs
05-02-2013, 11:15 AM
2. Moser will choose Oregon. The Tourney run for them, and our hasty exit cost us plenty.

This feels likely to me, too, for several reasons, unfortunately.

1) Altman's record with one year players over his 3 seasons is pretty good; Kazemi and Joseph were each Oregon's best player, and Strowbridge and Ashualu (sp?) were solid contributors.

2)Close to home; easy for friends/family to get to games, and he won a state title at old Mac Court.

3) My x/o knowledge is pretty rudimentary, but it seems to me like Oregon's high post offense is well suited to a mobile 4 like Moser, as is playing with a penetrating pg like Artis. GU's guards are more trained to feed the low post and shoot the open 3, and Moser isn't really a low post 4.

4)People here may have doubts about Karno/Sam, but they are more formidable competition for minutes than Oregon's Carter/Austin next year, though that's minor as he'd start either place.

Hope I'm wrong.

Goshzagit
05-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Per Mike Moser's mentor and former AAU Coach (via TSSF):

"He spent the most time with Donny Daniels. I know he also spent time with Coach Few, Coach Michaelson and Coach Lloyd," Memory explained, "I know that he said he wished that he would've spent more time speaking with Coach Few though. He did get a chance to spend time with the guys on the team during his visit."

Coach Few was preparing to leave for a week's vacation with family. I admire his pursuit of work-life balance, yet sounds as if Mike Moser wanted more time with him. FWIW, Moser spent time at Dana Altman's house going over detailed plans of how they are preparing to utilize him.

jazzdelmar
05-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Per Mike Moser's mentor and former AAU Coach (via TSSF):

Coach Few was preparing to leave for a week's vacation with family. I admire his pursuit of work-life balance, yet sounds as if Mike Moser wanted more time with him. FWIW, Moser spent time at Dana Altman's house going over detailed plans of how they are preparing to utilize him.

wow. volumes. now cue the few diehards who will chatter on about how family fun time comes before luring a great player....or, alternatively, that the aau guy is a liar and moser was going to the ducks all the time. wait for it.

webspinnre
05-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Just to be clear, we've got the one quote regarding wanting to spend more time, but do we have any idea of what exactly time was spent, or where or how? I'm not going to judge Few without actually having more details than a vague statement about wanting more time.

cjm720
05-02-2013, 12:56 PM
wow. volumes. now cue the few diehards who will chatter on about how family fun time comes before luring a great player....or, alternatively, that the aau guy is a liar and moser was going to the ducks all the time. wait for it.

Or work-life is more important or he'll have a fantastic program either way or we all read way too much into quotes in the blogosphere.

Either way, we win 25+ games and I'm happy. Say it all the time and it's always true...now, we need to get some luck in the tourney.

jazzdelmar
05-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Just to be clear, we've got the one quote regarding wanting to spend more time, but do we have any idea of what exactly time was spent, or where or how? I'm not going to judge Few without actually having more details than a vague statement about wanting more time.

"wanted more time with him" is vague? discredit the aau guy, a better approach.

jazzdelmar
05-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Or work-life is more important or he'll have a fantastic program either way or we all read way too much into quotes in the blogosphere.

Either way, we win 25+ games and I'm happy. Say it all the time and it's always true...now, we need to get some luck in the tourney.

wcc=25 wins. book it.

cjm720
05-02-2013, 01:07 PM
wcc=25 wins. book it.

yep, plus OOC, likely top 25 ranking. I honestly believe we're just as likely to succeed with a Will Foster as we are a Kelly Olynyk due to the "program", as stupid as that sounds and it sounds really stupid I know, but hopefully my point is understood.

webspinnre
05-02-2013, 01:09 PM
"wanted more time with him" is vague? discredit the aau guy, a better approach.

Sure is. How much time did he get? An hour and he wanted 2? 10 minutes and he wanted an hour? 3 hours and he wanted 5? Where was the time spent that he did get? What were they actually doing? Sounds like a pretty vague statement to me if we're trying to criticize Few for his actions.

jazzdelmar
05-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Sure is. How much time did he get? An hour and he wanted 2? 10 minutes and he wanted an hour? 3 hours and he wanted 5? Where was the time spent that he did get? What were they actually doing? Sounds like a pretty vague statement to me if we're trying to criticize Few for his actions.

it wd seem a high end coach chasing that quality a player gives him ALL the time he asks for, partic in the dog days of may. still, kill the messenger.

Zagger
05-02-2013, 02:17 PM
yep, plus OOC, likely top 25 ranking. I honestly believe we're just as likely to succeed with a Will Foster as we are a Kelly Olynyk due to the "program", as stupid as that sounds and it sounds really stupid I know, but hopefully my point is understood.

Understood. My take/feelings/thoughts/yaddadyaddas are that the Zags are a pretty darn good team right now - adding no new talent. SD & PK will undoubtably improve over the summer. So will the rest of the gang. That's what most of the Zags do. I believe the Zags are a top 25 team now without replacing anyone. With how well the Zags did this year the recruiting should follow suit. New talent will enter the ranks and spice things up. I'm REALLY looking forward to 13-14!

webspinnre
05-02-2013, 02:32 PM
it wd seem a high end coach chasing that quality a player gives him ALL the time he asks for, partic in the dog days of may. still, kill the messenger.

Not killing the messenger at all. Just saying that for the purposes of criticizing Few, we're lacking key details.

Angelo Roncalli
05-02-2013, 02:57 PM
I'm a litigator. I spend a lot of time jumping to my feet and saying "Objection, your honor: speculation." I'd wear my legs out if this forum was moved to the courthouse.

Would it affect the course of this thread if I pointed out that beginning today, the annual WCC ADs' and Head Coaches' meeting began at the San Francisco Airport Hilton Doubletree?

Here's an instagram photo posted by the conference:

http://instagram.com/p/Y0b_p5r9pC/#

Here's the conference tweet on the subject:

Other WCC coaches' tweets:

Coach Thomas ‏@coachpbt 8h

A fabulous day in The Bay! Headed to #WCC Coaches meetings today. Always interesting conversation and debate.
Retweeted by WCCsports.com
Expand
Marty Wilson Marty Wilson ‏@MartyWilson4 8h

On the plane with Coach Ryan Weisenberg along with LMU staff headed to @WCChoops head coaches meeting. Good to spend time w/competitors.
Retweeted by WCCsports.com
WCCsports.com ‏@WCCsports 4h

Good discussion behind these doors. #wcchoops @ DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Francisco Airport http://instagram.com/p/Y0b_p5r9pC/
Collapse

Retweet
Favorite

jazzdelmar
05-02-2013, 03:04 PM
No it wouldn't, counsel, not at bit. Send a flunky, stay w the kid until the deal is gone. Moreover, I can't imagine anything WCC. Officials could be talking about behind closed doors, behind open doors or with no doors at all that would be remotely as important to GU as landing Moser.

UOTE=Angelo Roncalli;910890]I'm a litigator. I spend a lot of time jumping to my feet and saying "Objection, your honor: speculation." I'd wear my legs out if this forum was moved to the courthouse.

Would it affect the course of this thread if I pointed out that beginning early this morning, the annual WCC ADs' and Head Coaches' meeting began at the San Francisco Airport Hilton Doubletree?

Here's an instagram photo posted by the conference:

http://instagram.com/p/Y0b_p5r9pC/#

Here's the conference tweet on the subject:[/QUOTE]

GoZags
05-02-2013, 04:10 PM
http://zagsblog.com/unlv/unlv-transfer-mike-moser-faces-tough-decision/

exclusivelee
05-02-2013, 04:22 PM

Moser said he has no timetable on making a decision on his destination.

The waiting game may take a while longer

DixieZag
05-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Well. . . hmmmmm.

Have to admit that I thought he would commit right away after his visit - I liked that we were his last visit

Hard not to think that the call of home won't be pretty strong. Somebody order him up a 10 pack of tacos courtesy of the MBB, that'll get things cruchin'

NotoriousZ
05-02-2013, 06:56 PM

“It’s definitely a tough decision,” Moser, a native of Portland, Ore., told SNY.tv.

“You can’t ignore Gonzaga’s track record of making it to NCAA Tournament and winning conference tournament titles. It’s a great program that gains a lot of national exposure.

“Washington has added some impressive pieces and will be better next year. They’ve sent a lot of players to the NBA. And Oregon has come a long way in the past three years, not to mention the fact that’s where I’m from.

“But all in all, these three schools have three amazing elite coaches. I don’t think anyone can argue that.”

------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, some of us here may argue that last statement. To his credit, Romar is an excellent recruiter, and that's what Mr. Moser has seen thus far...

I hope the NCAA tournament weighs heavily in his decision.

krozman
05-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Romar is a hack. Sorry but it's true.

MTZag03
05-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Yet another dig at Romar here:

Did anyone read on TSSF how Moser's mentor listed the pros of each school and had "national schedule" as being one of Gonzaga's pros?

Remember Romar's quote about needing a national schedule as the reason to not schedule Gonzaga?

Please let poetic justice happen and GU get this guy based only on scheduling.

RenoZag
05-02-2013, 08:35 PM
I think he ends up playing home games in Eugene.

Just a hunch.

Angelo Roncalli
05-02-2013, 08:46 PM
To the extent schedule plays a role, Gonzaga features an appearance in the Maui Classic and then, apparently, less than 10 days later, a game against Michigan State that will likely be an ESPN game.

Washington plays in the 2K Sports Classic, finals at Madison Square Garden with Boston College, UConn and Indiana.

Oregon is not scheduled in any of the early season tournaments.

http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2012/12/7/3739262/2013-14-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-MTE

DixieZag
05-02-2013, 08:51 PM
To the extent schedule plays a role, Gonzaga features an appearance in the Maui Classic and then, apparently, less than 10 days later, a game against Michigan State that will likely be an ESPN game.

Washington plays in the 2K Sports Classic, finals at Madison Square Garden with Boston College, UConn and Indiana.

Oregon is not scheduled in any of the early season tournaments.

http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2012/12/7/3739262/2013-14-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-MTE

Given a choice between thanksgiving in Eugene, NYC or Maui with all my buddies, I would think that would be a no brainer.

tick tock, tick tock. . . someone send him a lei, full of tacos damnit!

cjm720
05-03-2013, 09:37 AM
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/02/rothstein-this-and-that-around-ncaa-basketball-mosers-decision-auburn-upgrade-more/

A source (sure are a lot in the pursuit of MM) says a decision could be made as early as today. Not suprising that there's some conflicting info out there...fingers crossed.

johno
05-03-2013, 11:01 AM
I really like the schedule issue as a way of convincing MM.

jimmycarter
05-03-2013, 11:33 AM
And don't underestimate Maui. First, it's great exposure. Besides the hype of March Madness, the holiday tournaments seem to get the most attention. Second, well...it's a trip to Maui! 'nough said...

Oregonzagnut
05-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Mature and experienced guys like him transfer for one reason. Not wins, not money....but to have no regrets later. Fulfillment. Yes, wins help fulfill, NBA dollars help fulfill, but playing for your hometown will be something that might bring the best out of him. It would for most mature, honest people who play for the love of the game, not for money.

IMO, Gonzaga needs to get the best local talent to tap into that human instinct to fight for your home. It is the single most powerful motivator IMO, but will Moser get more inspiration in Oregon than Washington?

I hope he chooses Gonzaga and we need that experienced 6'-8" frame running the 4 spot (or 3 spot) next year. If he can learn Fews playbook this summer he will be a potential replacement for Harris. Anyone who gets an honorable mention for AP POY honors will be a huge asset in our bid for a final 4 next year.

DixieZag
05-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Mature and experienced guys like him transfer for one reason. Not wins, not money....but to have no regrets later. Fulfillment. Yes, wins help fulfill, NBA dollars help fulfill, but playing for your hometown will be something that might bring the best out of him. It would for most mature, honest people who play for the love of the game, not for money.

IMO, Gonzaga needs to get the best local talent to tap into that human instinct to fight for your home. It is the single most powerful motivator IMO, but will Moser get more inspiration in Oregon than Washington?

I hope he chooses Gonzaga and we need that experienced 6'-8" frame running the 4 spot (or 3 spot) next year. If he can learn Fews playbook this summer he will be a potential replacement for Harris. Anyone who gets an honorable mention for AP POY honors will be a huge asset in our bid for a final 4 next year.

I love your passion OZN but I will never share your conviction that college athletes play for their home towns or states. I suppose it could enter the equation way down the list but it seems to me that motivation is far more wrapped up in pride in their school, friends, coaches and personal goals than any geographical concerns.

Pitino seems to win with kids that can't spell Kentucky nevermind sing "My Old Kentucky Home" - - but there is a distinct pride in school and friends that pops up with good players everywhere.

Moser may well play for Oregon but I think that has more to do with proximity for family to watch and the quality of an up and coming program than anything.

Oregonzagnut
05-03-2013, 12:59 PM
I love your passion OZN but I will never share your conviction that college athletes play for their home towns or states. I suppose it could enter the equation way down the list but it seems to me that motivation is far more wrapped up in pride in their school, friends, coaches and personal goals than any geographical concerns.

I may put too much into the home town factor, just my opinion, and i am open to changing my beliefs for the better and I definitely want to be closer to reality. But if you ask any athlete why they chose a particular school, I bet proximity to family, friends and home town is more of a factor than you think it is. In fact, I bet it might be top 3. Especially if they grew up rooting for the hometown university.

Even McD AA's are still often compelled to play near home. Maybe I am wrong.

bartruff1
05-03-2013, 01:22 PM
I would be willing to bet that 95% (or more) of college athletes attend a School within 500 miles of their hometown....

The reason I mentioned 500 miles is that that is the only figure on that subject I have seen ...that 80% of college football teams are made up of players within that distance.

I would think the % would be higher for the other sports....but....I don't know...

gamagin
05-03-2013, 02:41 PM
this year's basketball team.

bartruff1
05-03-2013, 02:52 PM
this year's basketball team. I doubt it has fit a Gonzaga team since the 90's...it is amazing the recruiting they do in europe...

I could hardly believe it when they got Kevin and Spangler..

SteelZag
05-03-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm thinking Moser will be fine which ever way he decides to go. True, Oregon sold out only 1/3 of it's Pac-12 games. True, they lost their top 4 post players. True, Oregon isn't rated in the top 25. The bright side is he could shine for a top-ten program in front of a packed house every game and compete for a NCAA championship or...................

Demetri Awesome
05-06-2013, 09:19 PM
any news?

ZagaZags
05-06-2013, 09:37 PM
any news?

We are 1 day closer to finding out.

zagfan1
05-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Maybe Davis will beat Moser to the punch lol. So much suspense.

tampanjzag
05-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Moser to Oregon per everyone on Twitter

DixieZag
05-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Moser to Oregon per everyone on Twitter

Happened real quick after speculation that the Memphis player was coming, didn't it?

Wonder if there was a "take it or leave it" offer from UO today?

Oh well, wish him well, at least he didn't go to the UW - - it would be tough to be magnanimous about it if he had.