PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Zag Campus, Josh Perkins

BobZag
04-29-2013, 09:10 AM
One of the truly elite PGs in the country. Glad to have on campus. Enjoy the visit. Welcome!

CanadianZagFan
04-29-2013, 10:14 AM
I hope he enjoys his time on campus!

cggonzaga
04-29-2013, 10:19 AM
I hope he enjoys his time on campus!

I hope he commits before he leaves! Like CDC said, if Perkins commits there will likely be a snowball effect of elite talent joining forces!

Just A Zag
04-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Just give us that verbal!

cjm720
04-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Moser and Perkins on campus at the same time? Wowser!!

MDABE80
04-29-2013, 11:03 AM
Used to our climate too!...Nearly identical. He is a "must get". He'd have just enough time to be trained.....got good skills, balance .,etc. Good shooter but his circus passing is pretty advanced. And he's NOT too short for the "likings" round here;)

bigparb
04-29-2013, 11:41 AM
"Perkins with the unbelievable no look pass to the Karnowski for the finish"........can't wait to get to hear this..

Zags would be unbelievable with this guy........hope he clicks the guys and vice versa..........

Close the deal Few!!

madness
04-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Perkins committing plus Moser transferring this week would be almost too good to be true...

(ALMOST)

Kiddwell
04-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Josh, think continuous TV exposure, Top-10 to -15 team, fabulous and challenging OOC schedule, and (if history holds) a trip to the NCAA Big Dance. Did Kiddwell mention one of the Top Coaching Staffs in the nation? And a fabulous, intimidating home court!

In short, Josh, think (then ink) "Zags!"

:]

TravelinZag
04-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Welcome, indeed! Hope you find all of the answers to the questions you have. The silence you may sense is thousands holding their breath and restraining their hopes! This day of two visits -- one with immediate consequences, and one with long-term -- may be looked back upon as one of the most significant in Zag history! (Or, it could just be a "what could have been" footnote.) How can anticipation be so exciting, and waiting so tortuous?

DixieZag
04-29-2013, 12:34 PM
Wasn't it just a week ago that the people with a great deal of knowledge here were wondering when he might come (and expected it to be much later) and in NO way am I mocking those that do have a sense of what is going on. I ask only b/c the timing of this truly seems to be coming out of the blue and perhaps things are a bit further along than we thought.

Perhaps intentionally timed while Moser is here (not that Perkins will be here next year) so that both of them see the type of people interested in GU and perhaps think that this is the elite place they are looking for.

Regardless, nothing but good can come from this early visit.

cjm720
04-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Do all visiting recruits play in games with current players? And if so can the staff watch?

I have to think the answers are yes, but coaches can't instruct.

CDC84
04-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Another thing favoring Gonzaga during this visit....the Jesuit connection. He attends Regis Jesuit HS in Aurora, and it is to my understanding that Josh and the Perkins family are people of strong faith.

webspinnre
04-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Another thing favoring Gonzaga during this visit....the Jesuit connection. He attends Regis Jesuit HS in Aurora, and it is to my understanding that Josh and the Perkins family are people of strong faith.

My brothers-in-law are both Regis grads (and my wife would be, but they didn't have a girls' school when she was there). I can certainly tell you that the transition from Regis to GU would make alot of sense as far as a similar feel goes.

DixieZag
04-29-2013, 04:58 PM

That is really good to know CDC. I knew he was at a Jesuit HS - and that alone was a positive, it is really positive if that is important to his family.

We certainly LOOK like the type of place that would appeal to him. Wonder if he has had a big conversation with Matt B.? - - Can't help but think that Matt got all he could out of his time here and would recommend it and persuade him why.

bigparb
04-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Awful Quiet....

The calm before the storm perhaps?

MDABE80
04-30-2013, 09:14 AM
parb..we''l get two.

bigparb
04-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Hope so....

If we get Perkins I think the domino's could start falling.......what big wouldn't want to play with this kid.......his vision is outstanding!!

Virginia Zags Fan
04-30-2013, 10:01 AM
parb..we''l get two.

I'll say a prayer that you are right Abe! My true hope for the young gentlemen is that they really feel they would fit in as a member of the family, would enjoy their time as a student at GU, and feel they would be able to grow and contribute as a member of an elite team. If the answer is yes to all of the above, I think they will be stars, love GU, and GU/Spokane will love them!

HenneZag
04-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Obviously would be a program changing player for GU. His speed/vision/IQ is exactly what we need. I agree as well that getting a player like Josh will be very appealing to other recruits on our radar, great players want to play with great players.

Im hoping I am wrong, but it could be awhile before Perkins makes a decision, I do thing our chances are as good as any, but their are so many programs after him. Colorado is a big player for Josh as well as Dominique Collier. If Collier commits to the Buffs our chances get even better. These players will be and want to be the # 1 option.

Best of luck to Josh on his decision. Dosen't get much better then being a part of Zag Nation! Hopefully we hear some news soon.

ZagNative
05-01-2013, 07:04 AM
SSF tweets just now ...
Slipper Still Fits ‏@slipperstillfit 1m

We have learned that 2014 PG Josh Perkins did not visit #Gonzaga this week. The visit is being rescheduled for a less hectic time.

BroncoZAG615
05-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Before people start posting all sorts of ignorant negativity about this news, I just want to tell folks to chill. I've gotten no sense that this is anything but a desire to push it back because the AAU season has been so insane for Josh the past few weeks.

Mark Few has been at basically every one of his games since the AAU season started including this past weekend. I do not think people should try and make a mountain out of this mole hill.

Anyways, carry on

Goshzagit
05-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Before people start posting all sorts of ignorant negativity about this news, I just want to tell folks to chill. I've gotten no sense that this is anything but a desire to push it back because the AAU season has been so insane for Josh the past few weeks.

Mark Few has been at basically every one of his games since the AAU season started including this past weekend. I do not think people should try and make a mountain out of this mole hill.

http://images.wisegeek.com/k2---worlds-second-tallest-mountain.jpg

;)

LongIslandZagFan
05-01-2013, 08:19 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/dryedmangoez/0411/molehill.jpg

ZagNative
05-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Cut My Wrists and Black My Eyes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDf8RFut3_M)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2D3oMl6NYxc/TL4y-i3rJUI/AAAAAAABMBg/ooCSu1FsA94/s300/Mountain%2520Molehill.jpg

BobZag
05-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Few and family leave on vacation today. It's the busiest he's been in over ten years.

cjm720
05-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Bummer...would've been a good time to be here. Hopefully he can make it when school's in session.

hooter73
05-01-2013, 09:13 AM
I say good for him for not trying to pack too much into a small time frame. Kid is still in school, plus AAU, plus anything else like church or other activities. He likes us enough to come visit, he'll get up here when the time is better/right. We had crappy weather last weekend anyway.

Thanks to Bronc / SSF for the updates

jazzdelmar
05-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Josh Perkins' new plans
By Joe Kaiser

Josh Perkins (Denver, Col./Regis Jesuit High), the top recruit in the state of Colorado in 2014 and ESPN's No. 41 overall recruit in the class, was expected to visit Spokane, Wash. earlier this week to check out Gonzaga. That didn't happen.

According to this tweet by SlipperStillFits.com, which covers the Bulldogs closely throughout the year, Perkins couldn't fit the visit in and will reschedule during a less hectic time.

The website followed that up with the following tweet: "No need to read into Perkins' visit being rescheduled. He's had a very busy AAU season so far and Mark Few has seen virtually all of it."

The 6-foot-2, 185-pounder has seen his stock blow up in recent months, and counts Kansas, Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico among his other offers. We'll let you know more when we hear further information about Perkins' visit plans to Gonzaga or anywhere else.

TravelinZag
05-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Hopefully, a temporary setback. However, the "visit that never was" is a huge disappointment. Zag fans recovering from a failed NCAA tournament, and so much departed talent and leadership, really needed something to rekindle their hopes. We were led to believe (on this Board) that great news could be imminent. The AAU season allows high school players (especially those between their Jr and Sr years) to compare themselves to, and hone their skills against their peers. For some, the AAU also provides a mountain of visibility to college recruiters. Those who know where they want to go to college may find the exposure an unneeded molehill.

A cautionary note regarding graduate transfers. If they have not obtained a release, and need additional summer credits to graduate, there could be a problem. See Purdue and Sandi Marcius. Marcius finds his career and his education ended a few credits short when his school pulled his scholarship. What are the release, credits, and scholarship situations of graduate transfer prospects for the Zags?

Don't need a lot more disappointments just now. Don't need a lot either: one or two good players for the 2013-14 transition season to get a dance ticket (the WCC has at most 2 other teams than could compete for an auto & an at-large). Then the entire future of the program rests on success in the class of '14.

Note to those who find the term "failed" too strong. I think so also. But narrowly avoiding being the first #1 seed to lose the opening round, followed by yet another year as an upset victim in the round of 32 cannot be the definition of success for a Zag basketball program that has come so far.

MDABE80
05-01-2013, 10:18 AM
It's a nice post Travelin.........thoughtful.

cjm720
05-01-2013, 10:18 AM
To each his own...recruiting is a very fluid process. Not worried in the slightest...we reload and exceed expectations every off season.

TravelinZag
05-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks, Abe. Noting how frequently your posts have included references to "mums," I consulted the National Chrysanthemum Society, and learned that ". . .when (mums) are planted in the spring after the last frost, they have plenty of time to develop (and) lead to good blooms in the future." Apparently, some limelight helps. "Mums thrive in full sun conditions." But, ". . .gradually acclimate them to bright light."

What's that? Oh, "mum's the word", not "mums, the word." Never mind!! (With a fond nod to Gilda.)

In any case, some universities have their graduation ceremonies as early as this Saturday. Just sayin'.

KStyles
05-24-2013, 08:55 AM
From his AAU squad:

http://i.imgur.com/GpLr4C9.png

https://twitter.com/ColoradoMiners/status/337603820911738881

webspinnre
05-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Excellent!

Oregonzagnut
05-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Disappointed? yes. Who wouldn't be when we struck out on at least 3 high end transfers, and 2 of them were forwards we really need.

Worried? No. I am less worried this off-season than I have been in most others. Those transfers would have been gravy, and the only worry for me is regarding the perception of losing early again. My confidence is 1 part hopeful that we still are a 25+ win team next year, 1 part trusting in Few to have other options to fill holes in team, and 1 part sheer jaded and spoiled perception I have.

Few is still the winningest (%) active coach in the NCAA. Career 80% (.801) winning percentage! Few is at the top with no asterisk either.

jazzdelmar
05-24-2013, 01:05 PM
UCLA, Gonzaga lead for 2014 PG Perkins?
By Nic Reiner

2014 point guard Josh Perkins (Denver, Co./Regis Jesuit) received an offer from UCLA just under two weeks ago and will be officially visiting Westwood next weekend. Perkins, ranked No. 41 in the Class of 2014, will then visit Gonzaga the following weekend. Given the schedule and proximity of offer to visit, one has to think UCLA has the upper hand in Perkins' recruitment right now.

Mark Few has been pushing hard for Perkins all spring and thus we imagine Gonzaga is not far behind UCLA. Conceivably, also, official visits may just be a factor of personal scheduling. Either way, these are the first two schools to earn visits and have to be though of as the frontrunners for the 6-foot-3 guard. Landing Perkins would be an excellent start for either staff, both of which currently do not have any 2014 commits. New coach Steve Alford would make a strong statement if Perkins was his first and 247Sports' Jerry Meyer has said multiple times Perkins is one of the best passers he's been around in years.

Perkins also holds offers from Kansas, Arizona, USC, New Mexico, among others. He told Rivals.com he'll be making his decision around August.

bostonzagfan
05-24-2013, 01:22 PM
perkins would be an incredible get. come be a star young man...

madness
05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Looks like he is also transferring to Prep School:
Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 1m
Woke up from my nap (yep) to see this text from Rob Fulford: top-30 junior Josh Perkins is headed to Huntington Prep (WV) next season.

RanchZagFan
05-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Here's the latest word from the Mile High City re Perkins:

---he's transferring to Huntington Prep in WV for his senior season. For those who don't know, this is the school Andrew Wiggins attends.

---there's some thought that Josh may verbal to UCLA during his upcoming visit to Westwood.

---nothwithstanding the above, the current pecking order appears to be UCLA, GU, Kansas, UK.

Stay tuned.

cggonzaga
05-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Worst thing that happened to us was Alford taking over at UCLA. I believe we'd be the favorite had that not happened. Now I don't like our chances at all. Hope Few's work on the kid pays off but it doesn't sound good.

jazzdelmar
05-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Some of the self styled experts here said the Colorado Buffs and not a big time blue blood was the main comp for GU. What's up with that? 100 to 1 shot, it would seem now.

webspinnre
05-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Here's the latest word from the Mile High City re Perkins:

---he's transferring to Huntington Prep in WV for his senior season. For those who don't know, this is the school Andrew Wiggins attends.

---there's some thought that Josh may verbal to UCLA during his upcoming visit to Westwood.

---nothwithstanding the above, the current pecking order appears to be UCLA, GU, Kansas, UK.

Stay tuned.

He's seriously transferring to Huntington Prep? I can't think that's great news for us.

TheGonzagaFactor
05-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Few is still the winningest (%) active coach in the NCAA. Career 80% (.801) winning percentage! Few is at the top with no asterisk either.

I'd rather have a coach who was 2nd or 3rd in active winning % who didn't crumble under pressure. I like Few and all, but you went out of your way to say "no asterisk"... give me a break. We play in an incredibly weak conference. He is not an elite coach like the winning % would suggest.

webspinnre
05-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Sounds great. Where do you propose we get said coach?

75Zag
05-24-2013, 04:30 PM
My idea of the perfect GU coach is a coach who can send me a private message 12 months in advance to tell me that GU will win the upcoming NCAA Men's Basketball National Championship. Then I can cash in my wife's retirement account, mortgage our house and withdraw all the money from my grandson's pre-paid college tuition account and bet it all on GU to win. Of course, the perfect coach also needs to have the financial strength and ability to repay me all my losses if he happens to be wrong.

I will be standing by for the private message, either from Coach Few or his successor.

Go Bulldogs!

DixieZag
05-24-2013, 06:48 PM
I am worried about UCLA, too. I think Few would be smart to emphasize the stability of the staff here and the lack of drama in the program. It just seems that no matter who UCLA gets, something comes out of the woodwork (west wood work?) and keep them from putting two or three good years together.

Alford sounds like a great hire, but so did the last guy (name escapes me, from Pitt).

That seems to be the one real advantage we have (I guess our current roster of good guys), but - that is a big factor.

jazzdelmar
05-24-2013, 06:55 PM
I am worried about UCLA, too. I think Few would be smart to emphasize the stability of the staff here and the lack of drama in the program. It just seems that no matter who UCLA gets, something comes out of the woodwork (west wood work?) and keep them from putting two or three good years together.

Alford sounds like a great hire, but so did the last guy (name escapes me, from Pitt).

That seems to be the one real advantage we have (I guess our current roster of good guys), but - that is a big factor.

Let's see, Westbrook, Collison, Farmar....I think Josh is looking past both UCLA and GU and the deepest of the blue bloods are making their move. Kansas would be my favorite. UCLA is as delusional as some other schools when it comes to their position in today's college bb firmament.

sittingon50
05-24-2013, 07:27 PM
The WCC was the #10 ranked Conference in the NCAA. Can you tell me the names of the categories that encompass the 23 conferences that fall below "incredibly weak"? I lost my glossary.

cggonzaga
05-24-2013, 08:16 PM
The WCC was the #10 ranked Conference in the NCAA. Can you tell me the names of the categories that encompass the 23 conferences that fall below "incredibly weak"? I lost my glossary.

Sorry sittingon but after the power 6 there is a large drop off in conferences. That puts the WCC 4th amongst mid majors and to be honest we're not that close to the 3 in front of us. I'm not saying Few isn't a great coach but he is not elite.

jazzdelmar
05-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Sorry sittingon but after the power 6 there is a large drop off in conferences. That puts the WCC 4th amongst mid majors and to be honest we're not that close to the 3 in front of us. I'm not saying Few isn't a great coach but he is not elite.

More to the point, take GU out of the dreadful WCC and how far does it drop?

Malastein
05-24-2013, 10:50 PM
I used to buy into the logic that Gonzaga could legitimately compete with the top 10 teams every year, but I'm realizing that the WCC legitimately holds them back in recruiting. Playing that strong out of conference schedule helps, but only so much. For every blue chipper the Zags land they get 2 fringe guys who might develop in serviceable rotation guys. For the Zags to compete for a National Championship, they are going to need a group covering all 5 positions peaking together as juniors and seniors.

I've noticed an unfortunate pattern of seeing 1-2 seniors playing their hearts out at a high level, and having major holes at other positions. This past season was close to having a team peak at the right time, but the team was lacking in the back court(young and inconsistent) and at the 3 position. The number one ranking will ultimately be a double edged sword since it may open the door for some recruits, but it will hurt that much more that they lost early again in a high profile way.

The 2 best remedies are to go deep in the tournament or switch conferences. I fear both doom the Zags for guys like Perkins.