PDA

View Full Version : White House Correspondents

tampanjzag
04-27-2013, 07:04 PM
On a funny note Conan O'Brien mentioned Gonzaga tonight:

Why are you still asking us for money? Do you have a gambling problem? Did you put it all on Gonzaga? #WHCD

GoZags
04-27-2013, 07:50 PM
I saw that -- was amusing.

Here's hoping that this thread doesn't take transform into any political statement/commentary, etc.

If someone has a clip of the "joke" .... please share. Thanks.

sittingon50
04-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Or tacos!

Kiddwell
04-27-2013, 09:02 PM
On a funny note Conan O'Brien mentioned Gonzaga tonight:

Why are you still asking us for money? Do you have a gambling problem? Did you put it all on Gonzaga? #WHCD

Yes, every red cent.*

:[

*Corresponding today from Kiddwell's new domicile...a cardboard box...under a bridge...on the Sacramento River.

Zags_Fanatic
04-27-2013, 09:54 PM
There has never been a better time to bust out my "Conan sporting the Sean Mallon uniform" photo.

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w400/mbmanaus/IMG_0301.jpg (http://s1073.photobucket.com/user/mbmanaus/media/IMG_0301.jpg.html)

jazzdelmar
04-28-2013, 03:41 AM
Most of the time they tell jokes at that event.

GoZags
04-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Most of the time they tell jokes at that event.

Thanks for clearing that up, Jazz.

Here's the transcript of the joke -- again -- this does not invite political commentary in either direction -- it's merely the transcript of the joke.

Obama's Overabundant Emails
In the wake of the election, O'Brien centered several jokes around the president's entering his second term, including one that hit on the organziation grown out of his campaign, now called Organizing for Action.
---------------------------
"I have a question, and I think some of you also have this question," he told the president. "It's been several months since you were reelected, sir, so I'm curious, why are you still sending everyone five emails a day asking for more money?"

"You won," he reminded Obama. "Do you have a gambling problem we don't know about?"

"Did you put it all on Gonzaga?" he asked, a reference to the president's NCAA March Madness college basketball bracket. "You did, didn't you? He did!"

Link (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/white-house-correspondents-dinner-conans-best-jokes/story?id=19055822#4)

bartruff1
04-28-2013, 08:32 AM
In the olden days, no one could have even imagined that Gonzaga Basketball or Gonzaga Anything would be so well known that it would be a subject of a joke at a such a important media event.

I will know we are in the big time when we are on the PBS News Hour.

gamagin
04-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Funny. At the highest level. At any level.

RRZagFan
04-28-2013, 09:10 AM
about 21:30 of clip
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/28/conan-obriens-white-house-correspondents-dinner-speech-full_n_3174365.html?utm_hp_ref=comedy

hooter73
04-28-2013, 09:26 AM
Love Conan.

MDABE80
04-28-2013, 10:03 AM
This messy performance in the NCAA (even though it wasn't that messy) will follow us for quite a while. Some say that any publication is good. Others say "just get the name right". Being the butt of a joke like this and on this stage cannot be good in my view. We ARE the joke......a famous one no doubt but man....this will follow us for quite some time......and it's not good. IN a loss...."they did a Gonzaga" sound good to you? Or being the standard for bad play...well it's not my idea of good. The media made us and now they mean to tear us up. The worm turns..but I never thought it would in this way.
The brand is very damaged. Only way to correct this will be to win a title. Performance tends to shut people up.
I know I sound grumpy on this issue. I am. We didn't deserve this.

GoZags
04-28-2013, 10:08 AM
This messy performance in the NCAA (even though it wasn't that messy) will follow us for quite a while. Some say that any publication is good. Others say "just get the name right". Being the butt of a joke like this and on this stage cannot be good in my view. We ARE the joke......a famous one no doubt but man....this will follow us for quite some time......and it's not good. IN a loss...."they did a Gonzaga" sound good to you? Or being the standard for bad play...well it's not my idea of good. The media made us and now they mean to tear us up. The worm turns..but I never thought it would in this way.
The brand is very damaged. Only way to correct this will be to win a title. Performance tends to shut people up.
I know I sound grumpy on this issue. I am. We didn't deserve this.

I tend to see this as a little bump in the road and as bart said earlier -- who'd have EVER imagined. BTW, it's my opinon that GU's "cute little run" is FAR from over.

Ekrub
04-28-2013, 10:10 AM
I wonder If this will help recruiting

gamagin
04-28-2013, 10:26 AM
slid into first base the first time and quit. went home crying and mom washed and pressed his uni. Then served him hot cocoa after he put on his jammies with the feet in them and watched Hopalong Cassidy before going to bed with the light on.

The real world can laugh at itself. Needs to laugh at it itself. Dust itself off and look forward to a whole game. Remember the past. Learn from it. Be changed by it. Move on.

Next time.

jazzdelmar
04-28-2013, 11:23 AM
slid into first base the first time and quit. went home crying and mom washed and pressed his uni. Then served him hot cocoa after he put on his jammies with the feet in them and watched Hopalong Cassidy before going to bed with the light on.

The real world can laugh at itself. Needs to laugh at it itself. Dust itself off and look forward to a whole game. Remember the past. Learn from it. Be changed by it. Move on.

Next time.

Ur saying ignominy is a good thing?

sittingon50
04-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Gam, let's not be guilty of age discrimination, now!

;)

bartruff1
04-28-2013, 12:22 PM
The people (organizations) that are self confident and self assured have the ability to laught at themselves...it is a sign of strength. Unfortunately the converse is also true.

The reactions in here are nearly predictable. It is all about projection.

jazzdelmar
04-28-2013, 12:25 PM
The people (organizations) that are self confident and self assured have the ability to laught at themselves...it is a sign of strength. Unfortunately the converse is also true.

The reactions in here are nearly predictable. It is all about projection.

Actually no, it's all about perception and branding. The opinions of all of us here mean nothing, zilch. Any professional image consultant would tell you the Zags bb program has a ding in it. I mean beyond the rice bowl of Spokane. Whistling through the graveyard doesn't help.

gamagin
04-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Ur saying ignominy is a good thing?

like a herd of lemmings, whenever a blanket is snapped, like you, I'm sure this is the end of the world.

What O'Brien said was hilarious. Obama did marginally advance GU in his picks and GU did get eliminated.

What's disgraceful about that ? Why keep waving bony fingers of doom and gloom ?

The rest of the world slept well. Before and after the game. And before and after the O'Brien bit.

So if some pundits tried to turn the w. Va. game into a joke against us, I don't think it would have legs. It turns out, as some now realize, that W. Va. was a sleeper team that was better than anyone imagined and ran pretty deep, despite their record, their shooting averages and everything else.

What's so funny, or disgraceful, about that ?

bartruff1
04-28-2013, 12:46 PM
I don't care what " they " think, I am only responsible for the accuracy and fairness of my own opinion. You can say that Gonzaga was upset by a 9 seed or that it took a Final Four Team to beat them, it all depends on your perception...your projection.

I think the joke is funny as hell , I took no offense... others may think otherwise.

MDABE80
04-28-2013, 01:09 PM
It's the bigger picture. The media defined us negatively...put us in a bad light....some said we are fakes. Of course the sun comes up.....and surprisingly goes down as well. Not sure what that's got to do with a rand of a team.
If you read the blogs..I do.....you'll soon see that the media has infected those "big" thinkers....and not in a positive way.
I suppose being the butt of a joke ON TOP of the media crap is good to some . Some with a great sense of humor....

I'll have some dinner tonight with the Sunday family get together....nothing will change because of GU basketball ..... the priest who officiates will come over too. And there will continue to be love in the house.

But if any of you think that the negative media barrage is good....so be it. If any of you think being the ass end of a joke is good..best wishes. In some ways it becomes cultural...it get ingrained. People repeat and repeat and so on.....

It won't shatter a day in the life. Did it do us good to be depicted as a loser in a joke millions watched? Some think yes! Some think neutral....for me though it's just another cut we could do without. Just one more cut..........and there's nothing to be done about it........except win. Perception is everything in the media....and the media is defining us differently now.... it's not just one thing, but in my view, we didn't need this joke.

Zagdawg
04-28-2013, 04:35 PM
I was at my small group (Real Life Post Falls) and someone asked a question about what is important to me.

The Zags are a big piece of my life-- what I wear.....how my house and office are decorated.

I did not realize how important the Zags were in my life-- how much time and effort I put into them.... but they pale in comparision to my spiritual belief-- and I found myself needing to be reminded-- if my time was here or HE came tomorrow would what a television personality said about the Zags make a difference in my life........not one iota.

Sometimes a little perspective and a shot of the big picture can work wonders for those of us who are spritual minded.

Not to say I don't struggle and make mistakes...but if I can put my trust in him and his plan, it's all that really counts.

And Go Zags-- of course.

Cavebear33
04-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Nice to be mentioned - but it sounds like the pronunciation of Gonzaga for some people is still a tough nut to crack - even after all the prominence.

DixieZag
04-29-2013, 06:41 AM
No one is questioning the gift that GU has been and will continue to be to any of us personally. That really can't be impacted by anything so long as there is a program.

The joke itself was funny.

Separate and apart from the joke is the deep concern about the impact of the increasing perception that Gonzaga is the perenial disappointment of March. That can impact GU's brand while having no impact on us. That perception can have legitimate negative impact on any number of things, from decrease in television contracts and most harmfully, the amunition it gives rival recruiters.

Potential recruits who have heard Few saying "we go to the tourney every year and have a great team" will also now here from competition "Gonzaga gets eliminated every year after a couple of games and has no chance of going deep but we can do it" and that factor may mean nothing to a recruit or may be the deciding factor.

That being said, one deep run and it is over with. It will not impact our lives, it can have an impact on the program.

gu03alum
04-29-2013, 06:51 AM
No one is questioning the gift that GU has been and will continue to be to any of us personally. That really can't be impacted by anything so long as there is a program.

The joke itself was funny.

Separate and apart from the joke is the deep concern about the impact of the increasing perception that Gonzaga is the perenial disappointment of March. That can impact GU's brand while having no impact on us. That perception can have legitimate negative impact on any number of things, from decrease in television contracts and most harmfully, the amunition it gives rival recruiters.

Potential recruits who have heard Few saying "we go to the tourney every year and have a great team" will also now here from competition "Gonzaga gets eliminated every year after a couple of games and has no chance of going deep but we can do it" and that factor may mean nothing to a recruit or may be the deciding factor.

That being said, one deep run and it is over with. It will not impact our lives, it can have an impact on the program.

very good post, spot on

bartruff1
04-29-2013, 07:08 AM
I would think that for that tatic to be successful, the other school would have to have a better record... not many do...and I don't think we are competing for recruits with those schools on a routine basis.

GoZags
04-29-2013, 07:38 AM
I would think that for that tatic to be successful, the other school would have to have a better record... not many do...and I don't think we are competing for recruits with those schools on a routine basis.

Bingo.