PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Olynyk Pre-Draft Training

ZagNative
04-27-2013, 12:40 PM
I've been waiting for news of KO's next step in preparing for the draft and haven't heard a thing. How about you?

He did post this tweet, which intrigued me:

Kelly Olynyk ‏@BigKelz13 5h

Chicago stand up! Beautiful city to live and visit! #thewindycity
http://distilleryimage2.ak.instagram.com/bd25f52caf4e11e28c9e22000a9f308e_7.jpg

I wondered whether he might be planning to go through some pre-draft training there, and if not there, then where will he train?

This article in a Bleacher Report publication (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/370979-the-nba-pre-draft-training-business) seemed to me to be especially informative about some of the most popular pre-draft training programs.
Each year, roughly 100 young men place their names in the pool of players who will be eligible for the NBA Draft. From anywhere between one and four years,these players have worked at perfecting their skills in college, and now they think they’re good enough to play in the best league in the world, the NBA. As soon as their eligibility is up, they’ll sign an agent, hopefully after asking the right questions and being advised by someone they trust. Once all that happens, the real work beigins: players start going through some form of pre-draft training.

Pre-draft training is a part of any agent's pitch, and it has taken on an insane amount of importance for draft-eligible players. In the recruitment of a top player, an agent will typically spend anywhere from $10,000 to $20,000 in flights, meals, and hotels for he and others to see just one player throughout a season.

Then, if the agent is lucky enough to land that player, he will have to empty the piggy bank again, this time probably spending in the neighborhood of $25,000, most of which isn’t reimbursable, mind you. Of that $25,000, at least $10,000 of it will go towards a pre-draft training program for the client, and the rest will cover anything from meals, travel, to new gear (every soon-to-be NBA player needs to look fly).

No one questions that a player must train to get ready for his individual workouts. Players might be great on court in 5-on-5 situations, but struggle in the specific drills teams put the players through in every NBA city. We’ll give you our take and an example of each of the big training facilities: ATTACK Athletics, Impact Basketball, and Frank Matrisciano’s “Chameleon."
So, any buzz about where and when Big Kelz might be headed for pre-draft training? Any clues about whether, when, and who he might be hiring for an agent?

ZagNative
04-27-2013, 12:45 PM
One other question: Will Kelly likely be planning to participate in the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago May 16-17? I have a vague recollection that 60 players are invited to attend, but that last year a lot of the top players declined to attend, relying instead on individual workouts with teams.

Thoughts?

ID ZAGFAN
04-27-2013, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=ZagNative;910013]I've been waiting for news of KO's next step in preparing for the draft and haven't heard a thing. How about you?

He did post this tweet, which intrigued me:

I wondered whether he might be planning to go through some pre-draft training there, and if not there, then where will he train?

This tweet conversation interested me. It got me scanning the crowd looking for Kelly. But when I checked the times, Chuck tweeted just after Kelly's first tweet, and Kelly's response was 3 hours later. Googled Chuck--he is the radio play by play for the Bulls and was play by play for the Raptors when Kelly was in Toronto, and Kelly's mom was working for the Raptors, so I am guessing he knows the family.

Any way, Kelly is not going to be in Chicago long enough to train. Maybe long enough to sign an agent? (Wild speculation on my part.)

Chicago stand up! Beautiful city to live and visit! #thewindycity http://instagram.com/p/YnPcZOgcn6/
Expand
chuck swirsky ‏@swirsk054 5h
@BigKelz13 welcome to my world. How long are you here ?
Expand
Kelly Olynyk ‏@BigKelz13 1h
@swirsk054 thanks nice world to be in! I'm flying out later today unfortunately
Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite More
12:04 PM - 27 Apr 13 · Details

Interstingly, the view of Chicago that Kelly tweeted as also shown several times during the game.

ZaGranny

ZagNative
04-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Nice sleuthing, ZaGranny! Good guess that he might be there to sign with an agent. Maybe Priority Sports (http://www.prioritysports.biz/basketball), agent for Adam Morrison, Ronny Turiaf, Jeremy Pargo, and Micah Downs?
NOTEWORTHY

PRIORITY SPORTS has the experience of representing more than 20 First Round Draft Picks.
PRIORITY SPORTS has negotiated over a BILLION dollars in Contracts in the last 3 years alone.
PRIORITY SPORTS has the highest client retention rate in the business.
PRIORITY SPORTS has a specialized staff to meet your every basketball and business need.
Every decision at PRIORITY SPORTS is made by us, without answering to any person other than our player.
Street & Smith’s Sports Business Journal listed PRIORITY SPORTS as the #1 independent sports agency in the country.

Colbyspapa
04-28-2013, 12:52 PM
could be another landing spot. if he signs with IMG out of Cleveland they will offer him training at the International Performance Institute in Bradenton, FL. it is one of the best facilities in the world with some of the best sports science minds anywhere.

IMG is regarded as the top sports marketing company in the world.

http://www.imgworld.com/news/news/2013/april-2013/img-academy’s-2013-nba-combine-draft-training-prog.aspx

ID ZAGFAN
04-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Rob Sacre trained in Bradenton, IIRC. Also recall that someone recommended them to Rob as being good at training big men.

Might be a good fit for Kelly.

ZaGranny

Colbyspapa
04-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Yes Rob was at the IMG Basketball Academy. They are no longer using the name IPI. They just call it IMG Basketball. Amazing place.

ZagNative
04-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Elias signs with Brad Ames of Priority Sports:
Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress 2h

Mason Plumlee Tim Hardaway Jr Isaiah Canaan & Jackie Carmichael signed w/ Mark Bartelstein of @PrioritySports. Brad Ames signed Elias Harris
No word on Kelly yet.

I found these tweets by Seth Greenburg interesting, especially in light of Kelly's growth under the Zag's strength guy, Travis Knight:

Seth Greenberg ‏@SethOnHoops 21m

College coaches work to develop players and then when the players prepare for the draft they go work with workout gurus. Makes no sense.
Seth Greenberg ‏@SethOnHoops 20m

Between the strength coach and coaching staff a player preparing for the draft would be better served staying on campus.

MDABE80
04-30-2013, 04:09 PM
I thought the 28th was the deadline to declare or not. Is it extended if KO doesn't hire an agent? I honestly don't know.

KStyles
04-30-2013, 04:42 PM
I thought the 28th was the deadline to declare or not. Is it extended if KO doesn't hire an agent? I honestly don't know.

Nope, not extended. The 28th was the deadline to notify the NBA of his intentions. Once he sent the NBA his paperwork last week, he was ineligible for further NCAA competition, as he was declared for the draft after the NCAA's early entry withdrawal deadline of April 16th.

ZagNative
05-01-2013, 07:11 AM
From twitter:

Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 24m

Early entrants can withdraw from NBA draft by June 17 but cannot return to school. They are done with or without an agent now.

Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress 26m

NBA Officially Announces Early Entry Candidates for 2013 NBA Draft http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Announces-Early-Entry-Candidates-for-2013-NBA-Draft-4162 …

- 77 was the final count
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 29m

“@DukeOfHoops: @ESPNAndyKatz when is the draft lottery?” Tuesday, May 21.Draft Lottery determines NBA teams' positions in the draft. The Draft date is June 27.

Jeff Goodman posts CBS Sports' updated Mock Draf (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/fullnbamockdraft-JeffGoodman)t, with Kelly at #12, up from the previous #15:

ID ZAGFAN
05-01-2013, 10:00 AM
I averaged the mock drafts in 2 main data bases for Kelly's position. I averaged only the mock drafts which had been updated since April 19--not because that was the day he declared, but because it was the end of the week in which several potential draftees decided to return to school. Before that date Marcus Smart, McGary, Robinson, and McAdoo are in a lot of the mocks, which skews the results. They still may show up in a couple, but at least Marcus Smart is not in the top 5 in any of them.

In Walter Football's NBA Mock draft 2013, Kelly's average is 12. In ProSports DC, his average is 11.8. WF had 18 updated mock drafts since 4/19, PSDC had 30. These numbers have stayed pretty consistent for about a week. I don't expect much change until after May 21, when the lottery may change things.

ZaGranny

MDABE80
05-01-2013, 10:22 AM
It's the craziest timetable the NBA/NCAA has for kids. All these decisions and deadlines when the year's ending academically (if it ever does anmore). Lots to figure out in a busy time. Focusing on finals while figuring out a very young life is nearly impossible.

former1dog
05-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Focusing on finals while figuring out a very young life is nearly impossible.

Hasn't Kelly put his MBA studies on hold? I thought he was quoted as such?

ZagNative
05-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Some news from Kamloops (http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/20130504/KAMLOOPS0201/305049998/-1/kamloops02/olynyk-still-busy-as-draft-day-approaches) about what Kelly's been up to: Interviewing agents.
Olynyk still busy as draft day approaches

The NCAA basketball season ended more than a month ago for Kelly Olynyk, but his life hasn't gotten any less hectic.

"I've been to L.A., Santa Barbara, Chicago, Spokane . . . I've been all over the place," said Olynyk, who was home in Kamloops for a couple of days this week before heading back to Spokane.

Those trips aren't necessarily vacations for the 7-foot-0, 240-pound former Gonzaga Bulldogs centre, who declared for the NBA draft on April 19, his 22nd birthday. They are recruiting trips from player agents, looking to sign a player projected to go in the first round on June 27 in Brooklyn.

"(Life's) just different, trying to find an agent and all that kind of stuff," Olynyk said. "But it really hasn't changed that much.

"(The agents) just give you their pitches and tell you what they think they can do for you."

Once he gets an agent, he expects to hear from NBA teams wanting to work him out.
His draft stock rose from, well, nothing to where he is now - projected to be a mid-first-round pick.

"People tell you what they think will happen, but no one really knows until your name gets called," Olynyk said. "People can speculate and say all they want, but in the end, it comes down to that day and that night to see what happens."

Yes, this is a man who is taking nothing for granted.

He is still plugging away in gyms, working hard on his game and getting stronger.

He's not working on improving any one part of his game - "You're not going to learn much in the next month to show (NBA teams)," he said - but isn't about to rest now that he is so close to his NBA dream.

"I usually try to get in three or four workouts a day," Olynyk said. "Individual workouts, on the basketball floor, play a little bit, work out in the weight room, then do shots and reps."
"I've met with four or five agents," he said. "I'm trying to narrow it down and get it done in the next couple days or so."

KStyles
05-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Hasn't Kelly put his MBA studies on hold? I thought he was quoted as such?

IIRC, he said at his press conference that he was still deciding whether to finish the semester out or begin training immediately. I haven't seen anything since then, but I may have missed something. http://i.imgur.com/JXoV30b.gif

ZagNative
05-08-2013, 04:58 PM
At last!
Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress 2h

Kelly Olynyk, Ray McCallum, Arsalan Kazemi, Alex Oriakhi, Dexter Strickland & Kentavious Caldwell-Pope all signed with Wasserman Media Group

Kelly's agent is Arn Tellem (http://hoopshype.com/agents/arn_tellem.htm), who is the NBA #1 agent in terms of players $ under management (http://hoopshype.com/agents.htm).

ZagNative
05-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Kelly on the list of players invited to the NBA Combine May 15-16 (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22224907/nba-draft-combine-releases-list-of-participants). Elias Harris and Matthew Delladova not on the list.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS 2m

Guys who didn't get the invite to the NBA Draft Combine: Rodney Williams, Michael Snaer, Alex Oriakhi, Matthew Dellavedova, Elias Harris.

ZagNative
05-09-2013, 03:33 PM
And this ..

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS

Most of the elite players will show at the NBA Draft Combine next week, but they won't do anything except for the testing.

ZagNative
05-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Kelly down to #16 from the previous #13 on Chad Ford's board (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9271732/2013-nba-draft-nerlens-noel-no-1-top-30-prospects) in advance of tomorrow's draft combine:

The combine should be a good setting for Olynyk. It focuses on his strengths -- skills and running the floor -- and doesn't emphasize his weak areas. There's almost no contact in the drills section. Questions about Olynyk's toughness that have been raised in the past month probably don't get answered in Chicago. However, look for him to show off his jump shot in an attempt to convince scouts that he could be a stretch 4 in the NBA.