PDA

View Full Version : Sabonis

SWZag
04-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Anyone know anything about Arvydas Sabonis' kids? Sounds like Tommy is on the trail of one, from what I've heard.

Domantas, the second son, I think, averaged 14.1 points and 14.4 rebounds per game during the European U-16 championship in 2012.

Looks like he's around 6'9.

Anyone have anything?

SWZag

sittingon50
04-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Do these kids live in the States or did dad head home?

SWZag
04-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Do these kids live in the States or did dad head home?

I think they're actually in Spain.

titopoet
04-26-2013, 01:54 PM
He is rated the second best prospect in the 1996 class.
http://www.eurohopes.com/player/1533/domantas-sabonis/

He plays for 2nd level spain (very good)

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/CB_Clinicas_Rincon/7432

Big time get. I did think GU would have a shot. The kid is gold.

BobZag
04-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Ideal to step in and fill the Overseas Big role when Karnowski leaves. :)

jazzdelmar
04-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Ideal to step in and fill the Overseas Big role when Karnowski leaves. :)

You mean the lumbering overseas big role?

Zagdawg
04-26-2013, 04:28 PM
I would rather the overseas role be fulfilled over the the whining...complaining role of some of our posters.

zagco
04-27-2013, 09:56 AM
If he's in the 1996 class, we might want to pass.

bigblahla
04-27-2013, 10:03 AM

European recruits classified by the year they were born.

Go!! Zags!!!

GoZags
04-27-2013, 10:04 AM

International youth sports .... i.e. futbol, hoops, etc. are organized and predicated on D.O.B. Thus the reference to 1996.

Vizagra
04-27-2013, 06:38 PM
It's not YOURvydas. It's not MYvydas. It's ARvydas.

That is all. Carry on. :)

Malastein
04-27-2013, 07:09 PM
As a kid, I called him Arthritis Sabonis. And there was also Bloody Divac.

DixieZag
04-27-2013, 07:19 PM
A little before my time, but long before Euros were so prominent in the NBA - back even in USSR days, wasn't Sabonis regarded as one of the best players in the world (in his prime - not old old when he finally came over)?

Malastein
04-27-2013, 07:25 PM
He was one of the best bigs on the NBA. Great passer, great shooter. He came over after he had knee issues. Would have loved to seen him in top form.

Pargo the Destroyer
04-27-2013, 07:38 PM
It's not YOURvydas. It's not MYvydas. It's ARvydas.

That is all. Carry on. :)

This is real nice.

upan8th
04-27-2013, 08:40 PM
Probably just me, but is anyone else here in the campground getting weary of DMJ's snipe hunts?

SWZag
04-27-2013, 09:53 PM

He plays for 2nd level spain (very good)

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/CB_Clinicas_Rincon/7432

Big time get. I did think GU would have a shot. The kid is gold.

I also think it would be a very good get. From what I understand, Tommy has had home visits.

U16 Domantas Sabonis Dunk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WIQrUM1GJE)

We'll see.

SWZag

BobZag
04-28-2013, 10:26 AM

Did anyone notice the freaky clock atop both baskets in the vid clip? Is an electrician in the house?

basketballzag
05-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Looks like Sabonis & Gonzaga could be a reality.

http://www.laopiniondemalaga.es/unicaja/2013/05/17/unicaja-tienta-sabonis-acb-eeuu/588596.html

webspinnre
05-27-2013, 10:14 AM
Google translate says:

Gonzaga University wants to recruit the next season and the club offers part of the first team, riding with the reserves - Unicaja, at least, try to get your rights when returning

17/05/2013 | 1:42

Domas Sabonis has been a very important asset Corner Clinics in the final of the LEB Plata. G. Torres
Photos of the news
RAFAEL M. WAR Domantas Sabonis is the great pearl Unicaja quarry. The youngest son of the legendary Arvydas Sabonis is the brightest of their offspring. The power forward is still first-year junior but already has weight in the Corner Clinics and even made ​​part of the preseason with Unicaja. "Domas" as everyone knows him, came into the world in Portland (USA), when the great lessons taught power forward in the NBA. Turned 17 on May 3 springs. Measures and 2.09 meters (seven feet barely summer 2012) and go for something very big in this basketball.

The boy has been living in Torremolinos small even without the DNI. It Lithuanian and American dual citizenship. In Spain uses the NIE and is baloncestítiscos purposes, a valuable training quota. In Los Guindos is lovingly cares, although the club is well aware that this summer can fly the nest.

The prestigious Gonzaga University (Washington) has launched a fierce offensive to Domas leave the Costa del Sol in the coming months and become a Bulldog (nickname for players of the University).

In Los Guindos already known for some time that there is a real possibility that Domas to leave to pursue their academic and baloncestística the United States and have not been idle crossed. The club has made him see the player and their environment that may have a place in the first team for next year. Will do, of course, the preseason with Unicaja and if it proves to be prepared will have a gap with the 'big'. Otherwise, Domas would be halfway between the first team and the reserves, the Corner Clinics.

Although not got promoted on the track, Spanish Basketball Federation has already allowed to see it has a place in the LEB Oro, so Sabonis would train with the first team, could have opportunities during the season and would enjoy many minutes into the second category of the Spanish basketball field.

As the company is complicated and Sabonis family is looking forward to the guy from forming in the United States, has begun negotiating with them an agreement to follow your career Domas Unicaja. If when you finish your four-year college tour returns to Spain or the European basketball field, the club wants him to Unicaja, and can not sign for any other team. It would be a kind of compensation for "services rendered" during all these years, in which the green club has been instrumental in its formation.

If Domas not drafted in the future or not makes the leap to the NBA, the power forward should play or yes in the Unicaja. On that idea works, because the club does not want to be left empty-handed after forming the player. That would be the wrong choice, because the main objective of the organization is that the smallest of Sabonis even have the hole in the green template 2013/14, within the first team, depending on the movements of this summer and that the guy to step forward and win the job.

sittingon50
05-27-2013, 10:16 AM
I only read/speak Aztec.

Loose translation?

Thanks, web!

*That is loose!

Zagdawg
05-27-2013, 10:38 AM
This could be promising---

You asked:

2.09 meters in feet and inches

6 feet and 10.2834645669292 inches

basketballzag
05-27-2013, 10:45 AM
His father was 7'3 and his son is already 6'10 at 17. I'm never too optimistic but this is the most optimistic I've been all off season.

jazzdelmar
05-27-2013, 10:46 AM
can someone bring this translation in for an alteration and tell us wth this is about? has tommy saved 32's bacon yet again? he is '14, i assume.

Chicken Ball
05-27-2013, 10:50 AM
Looks like he might be eligible to play next year ('13-'14). Am I wrong?

HenneZag
05-27-2013, 10:54 AM
From what I have read I thought he was a 2015 that could reclassify for 2014 potentially, but I may be wrong.

basketballzag
05-27-2013, 11:04 AM
I believe I read he could play in 2013-2014 but in case that didn't work it would part of the 2014 class but can't recall where I read that.

HenneZag
05-27-2013, 11:06 AM
I would love to hear that he could play in 2013-14.

willandi
05-27-2013, 11:52 AM
I would love to hear that he was playing for the Zags in 2013/2014!

maynard g krebs
05-27-2013, 12:25 PM
can someone bring this translation in for an alteration and tell us wth this is about? has tommy saved 32's bacon yet again? he is '14, i assume.

My Spanish ain't what it used to be, but since those computer generated translations are unreadable:

The prestigious University of Gonzaga (left that as is for laughs) has launched a fierce offensive to get Domas to abandon the Coast of the Sun IN THE COMING MONTHS and convert him into a Bulldog.

In the coming months could also be translated as in the next few months. Story clearly says this fall.

jazzdelmar
05-27-2013, 12:37 PM
My Spanish ain't what it used to be, but since those computer generated translations are unreadable:

The prestigious University of Gonzaga (left that as is for laughs) has launched a fierce offensive to get Domas to abandon the Coast of the Sun IN THE COMING MONTHS and convert him into a Bulldog.

In the coming months could also be translated as in the next few months. Story clearly says this fall.

gracias.

Zagdawg
05-27-2013, 12:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7weIKskg10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywfmpS1Y9JA&list=PLD3C42476301371BD

Chicken Ball
05-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Dude looks good. Very coordinated, moves well laterally and up and down the court, has a soft touch on the interior, gets good positioning for rebounds, passes well. Needs work: strength(obviously--almost no 17 year old doesn't, especially posts), ballhandling, and an offensive game that extends past the key. Perfect backup next year, maybe moving into the starting 5 when SD graduates.

Malastein
05-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Can't argue with the pedigree. Keep in mind that even Michael Jordan's kids weren't college super stars. If he is half as good as his dad, he'll be a star. Would be great to continue the European pipeline!

thespywhozaggedme
05-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Looks like he might be eligible to play next year ('13-'14). Am I wrong?

13/14 is this season. As Jazz said, this would be a major coup.

thespywhozaggedme
05-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Can't argue with the pedigree. Keep in mind that even Michael Jordan's kids weren't college super stars. If he is half as good as his dad, he'll be a star. Would be great to continue the European pipeline!

Yup. Many "in the know" say that Arvydas was the most skilled big man ever. He came over after a few leg injuries and at the age of 31, I believe. I watched him play and he had sheer God given talent. if Donut is half as god as his pops, we got a good one.

DixieZag
05-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Yup. Many "in the know" say that Arvydas was the most skilled big man ever. He came over after a few leg injuries and at the age of 31, I believe. I watched him play and he had sheer God given talent. if Donut is half as god as his pops, we got a good one.

As I said weeks ago, before this latest revelation, I remember seeing highlights of his dad, at over 7 feet, draining the softest 3s - and that was pre-Garnett days when virtually no one was 7 ft and they damn sure didn't shoot from more than 5 feet from the basket.

It would be cool on so many levels if he came, be great to hear the name again - maybe even meet the old guy at a game.

doctorzag
05-27-2013, 02:50 PM
13/14 is this season. As Jazz said, this would be a major coup.

He just turned 17 this month. Don`t think he be playing this year.

thespywhozaggedme
05-27-2013, 03:23 PM
He just turned 17 this month. Don`t think he be playing this year.

I was just correcting a poster that said that 13/14 season was next year, it is this upcoming one. I had no idea when he was eligible.

SteelZag
05-27-2013, 04:35 PM
IF he were eligible this coming season, it would be awesome to have three bigs, all left-handed.

Might throw some defenses off a little.

Bogozags
05-27-2013, 04:48 PM
His father was 7'3 and his son is already 6'10 at 17. I'm never too optimistic but this is the most optimistic I've been all off season.

Not understanding the ruckus as Lewis Alcindor was 6'10" at birth or so I've read somewhere I think ...lol

webspinnre
05-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Also found this in looking around the web:

http://www.gigantes.com/noticia/5264/Basket-Base/Que-debes-saber-sobre-el-Campeonato-de-Espana-Junior-Masculino-de-clubes?.html

Google translate says:

1996. Unicaja. Fifth in the Junior Championship.

Trujillo describes him: "He has been in the club since Premini. With everything that surrounds it, is normal, natural and good companion. It is a four but was working like three in the championship was more inside. He needs to improve his shot. He has a gift of offensive rebounding and playing around the basket. You can defend players face, passes very well and is one of the hopes of the club. The logic is that the junior will not set foot in 2013-2014 and will be in the LEB and inthe ACB. Duranteel Championship jumped tweets about Gonzaga already had done to him. It's a shuffle option but he is very happy at the club. There is nothing decided and November this news is that it was published in Malaga and is American / Lithuanian parents so decide ".

Better translations always appreciated.

maynard g krebs
05-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Also found this in looking around the web:

http://www.gigantes.com/noticia/5264/Basket-Base/Que-debes-saber-sobre-el-Campeonato-de-Espana-Junior-Masculino-de-clubes?.html

Google translate says:

Better translations always appreciated.

Good teammate.
A 4 but versatile enough to play at the 3.
Gifted rebounder, esp. offensively.
Good passer.
Jumper needs work.
Good on-ball defender (assuming that's what "face" means).

It's logical to think he won't leave his club in 2013-14, and will be in the LEB and in the ACB.(?) During the championship he tweeted that Gonzaga had already been in touch with him. It's an option to leave his club for GU, but he is very happy with his club and nothing is decided. (I couldn't decipher the rest of the last sentence; haven't used Spanish regularly in a couple decades and it was a confusing one).

DixieZag
05-27-2013, 07:33 PM
thanks web - oh, and thanks maynard (just saw yours) pretty good job on your part with the translation, I don't hablo espanol but I think you are very close.

I got the "it is undecided" part of it, which seems to be the most important component.

Oregonzagnut
05-28-2013, 05:56 AM
2nd generation NBA kids that have played on a college team and have gone to the tourney. We have Stockton and Daye so far. :) Sacre and others are indicators too. Gonzaga is a popular place to go. I would be interested to know how many other schools have had the luxury. I'd bet Gonzaga is in the top 50 in that category too. I bet 75% of the schools who have NBA kids are alma maters of the parent.

Sabonis would be a great edition even without his fathers history. Having family legacies in colleges is part of the prestige.

75Zag
05-28-2013, 06:10 AM
Jack Sikma - the very popular center of the Seattle Supersonics who played in the mid 70s, has a son named Luke who attended UP. Luke Sikma had a couple good seasons at UP and seemed to have a lot of potential but suffered a serious injury that pretty well ended his college career. Not sure what happened to him after college.

But on to today's trivia question. Who, what, or where do the young Mr. Sabonis and Charles Manson have in common? This is a real trivia question, not a joke.

Go Bulldogs!

Oregonzagnut
05-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Jack Sikma - the very popular center of the Seattle Supersonics who played in the mid 70s, has a son named Luke who attended UP. Luke Sikma had a couple good seasons at UP and seemed to have a lot of potential but suffered a serious injury that pretty well ended his college career. Not sure what happened to him after college.

But on to today's trivia question. Who, what, or where do the young Mr. Sabonis and Charles Manson have in common? This is a real trivia question, not a joke.

Go Bulldogs!

They both like the Beach Boys?

75Zag
05-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Next clue

What prisoner spent the longest time in Alcatraz?

Go Bulldogs!

zagco
05-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Zagco was almost stunned watching a healthy Arvidas Sabonis play back in the day. His passing was truly Larry Bird-like, and his size was incredible. So, so smart. Seems we really did not get him over here until injuries and a bit of age began to take its toll on him. The 1988 Soviet Olympic team was extremely good, though. Most remember him and Marcilonous (sic), but they had a couple 3-point sharpshooter types that were deadly. They were loaded, before the day came when commies could play in the NBA. Zagco thinks the Dream Team would have had to take that Soviet team seriously. Our 1988 Olympic team lacked shooters. Hersey Hawkins was about the only one, and it seems like he might have been battling some sort of injury, but Zagco's recollection is that we were never really in the game with them, although we might have ridden a surge to narrow the score once or twice.

sittingon50
05-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Burt Lancaster?

Oregonzagnut
05-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Next clue

What prisoner spent the longest time in Alcatraz?

Go Bulldogs!

Alvin Karpis was Lithuanian and also played guitar with Manson.

Karpis was part of the Ma Barker group.

Is Sabonis related to Karpis? or does Karpis have a grandson on the Lithuanian team that Sabonis is on?

azzagfan
05-28-2013, 12:45 PM
I like the look of Sabonis a lot. Seems to have a great feel for the game and high skill level. Here we go Tommy; let's lock this guy up.

75Zag
05-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Alvin Karpis was Lithuanian and also played guitar with Manson.

Karpis was part of the Ma Barker group.

Is Sabonis related to Karpis? or does Karpis have a grandson on the Lithuanian team that Sabonis is on?

I knew the Alcatraz hint would make it too easy.

Where does young Sabonis live? Where did Creepy Karpis die? That was the connection.

Two additional Creepy Karpis factoids: He was at McNeil Island Federal Pen when he met the young Charles Manson and taught him to play guitar. Also, when Karpis was released from prison he was immediately deported to Canada (he was a Canadian citizen) but they would not take him initially because his fingerprints had been removed by some mob doctor in the 30s and they could not establish who he was. And, by the way, it was the Karpis - Barker gang.

And since GU has a "Canadian Pipeline" of recruits, I guess in the end this story circles around and becomes relevant again to GU basketball. Or Not.

That was my trivia question for the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Karpis

Go Bulldogs!

Oregonzagnut
05-28-2013, 06:26 PM
I knew the Alcatraz hint would make it too easy.

Where does young Sabonis live? Where did Creepy Karpis die? That was the connection.

Two additional Creepy Karpis factoids: He was at McNeil Island Federal Pen when he met the young Charles Manson and taught him to play guitar. Also, when Karpis was released from prison he was immediately deported to Canada (he was a Canadian citizen) but they would not take him initially because his fingerprints had been removed by some mob doctor in the 30s and they could not establish who he was. And, by the way, it was the Karpis - Barker gang.

And since GU has a "Canadian Pipeline" of recruits, I guess in the end this story circles around and becomes relevant again to GU basketball. Or Not.

That was my trivia question for the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Karpis

Go Bulldogs!

i still didn't quite get it right.

TheOtherGreatOne
05-29-2013, 03:49 PM
i saw sabonis play when he was in his prime. he reminded me more of bill walton than anyone else that i have seen. he wasn't nearly as heavy as when he was in the nba. he had the same high bb iq,great court vision,could really pass,and rebound like walton. sabonis had a better offensive game than walton though. i know it's hard to believe as good as walton was at ucla,but he did. sabonis was just a shell of his former self when he was in the nba. he was heavy and slow but he was still pretty darn good. when he was young he and walton were the best post players that i have ever seen. darn remembering all this makes me feel like an old man. wait a minute i just remembered something,i am an old man.

DixieZag
05-29-2013, 07:18 PM
i saw sabonis play when he was in his prime. he reminded me more of bill walton than anyone else that i have seen. he wasn't nearly as heavy as when he was in the nba. he had the same high bb iq,great court vision,could really pass,and rebound like walton. sabonis had a better offensive game than walton though. i know it's hard to believe as good as walton was at ucla,but he did. sabonis was just a shell of his former self when he was in the nba. he was heavy and slow but he was still pretty darn good. when he was young he and walton were the best post players that i have ever seen. darn remembering all this makes me feel like an old man. wait a minute i just remembered something,i am an old man.

Your post got me interested in seeing more of him in his prime. I can't link it but if you go to youtube and search Arvydas Sabonis Before Injuries 1986, you will see highlights of him dunking over David Robinson multiple times in the 1986 World Championship games in Barcelona for the gold medal - it also shows a couple of 3 pts by Sabonis and muscling out Robinson, doing sky hooks and rebounding. Amazing player. Cool to see the old "CCCP" uniforms - memories of the Russian Red Army hockey team from the old days.

Glad the "CCCP" are over, just sayin. . .

maynard g krebs
05-29-2013, 10:10 PM
I remember a play with the Blazers where Sabonis was facing the basket at the top of the key, faked a drive right, and when his defender shifted to stay in front of him threw a perfect behind the back bounce pass through traffic to a cutter on the left side for a layup. As good a pass as I've ever seen.

When he was playing for the Blazers I read a story that said if you walked into a liquor store in Lithuania in those days and asked for a Sabonis, they would hand you a liter of vodka. He was known as a pretty hard drinker, and that probably played a part in slowing him down later in his career.

ZaginLaw
05-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Yep and after that behind the back pass you'd hear, he's not your vydas, he's not my vydas, he's arvydas!

Worthington
07-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Domantas is putting up some unreal numbers right now at the European U18 Championships.

17.7 PPG and leads the tourney in rebounding, by a large margin, with a whopping 17.3 RPG!

This kid is the real deal. If we don't land Travis, getting Sabonis would definitely help ease that pain (Although, I think everyone's first choice would to sign both of them :drool:).

exclusivelee
10-30-2013, 10:52 AM
All in on Domantas Sabonis for 2014

gonstu
10-30-2013, 11:18 AM
20 thread pages and just under 400 replies left to go before this reaches the level of Reid-thread-territory...Let's do it!

CDC84
10-30-2013, 11:20 AM
If he signs w/ Gonzaga, you won't hear about it until possibly next fall.

BTW - I never got the sense that Sabonis was a backup plan for Reid Travis. The juco kid is, not Sabonis.

jchocolate99
10-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Could someone eplain what this kid brings to the table. I've watched some youtube videos on him and nothing really stood out from the videos from all the hype on the board about him

Kiddwell
10-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Kiddwell's hoping that Sabonis has long coattails, and another Euro latches onto them for a schollie at GU too. Maybe not from the same country, but two quality Euros would be great. (This hope refers to an earlier post/posts on another thread or two about TWO Euros being possibly in the mix.)

:]

Kiddwell
10-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Could someone eplain what this kid brings to the table. I've watched some youtube videos on him and nothing really stood out from the videos from all the hype on the board about him

Check out Worthington's post (above).

jchocolate99
10-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Check out Worthington's post (above).

that answers that... More of a lunch pale type player and not flashing

bigblahla
10-30-2013, 12:26 PM
I've posted this in a thread somewhere maybe even this one?

Go!! Zags!!!

GUZag08
10-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Top Euro prospect of 1996= crazy good.

Karno was number 3 for his year I believe

jchocolate99
10-30-2013, 12:51 PM
I keep seeing people say that Sabonis to GU is pretty much a done deal... where's this info coming from?

TravelinZag
10-30-2013, 01:15 PM
The "Dark Lord" returns on an upbeat note!! Welcome back, BZ. Missed you.

raise the zag
10-30-2013, 01:19 PM
The "Dark Lord" returns on an upbeat note!! Welcome back, BZ. Missed you.

Huh? :confused:

When/where?

MTZag03
10-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Huh? :confused:

When/where?

Same. I scrolled back through the posts thinking I had missed it.

cjm720
10-30-2013, 01:50 PM
I keep seeing people say that Sabonis to GU is pretty much a done deal... where's this info coming from?

Some tweet that some guy posted saying that Sabonis is likely going to Gonzaga...probably 4th hand info or more, but I'm running with it!

DixieZag
10-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Anyone know - - when the Euro BB people say "class of 1996" does that essentially equate to a US frosh age (18-19ish)? I had heard (perhaps wrongly) that some of the international kids come over a little older, not that that would be bad.

exclusivelee
10-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Anyone know - - when the Euro BB people say "class of 1996" does that essentially equate to a US frosh age (18-19ish)? I had heard (perhaps wrongly) that some of the international kids come over a little older, not that that would be bad.

It means born in 1996. Sabonis is 17 years of age

DixieZag
10-30-2013, 04:26 PM
It means born in 1996. Sabonis is 17 years of age

Thx - - I knew that it referred to the DOB - I suppose I could have done the math, embarrassing. Thx for picking me up.

It would pick the spirits up around here if he committed now but I guess that is not the normal process for the Euro kids.

Zagdawg
11-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Short but more recent video--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSCSd0sfb9I

Zagdawg
11-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Story about Sabonis-- it sounds like his coach wants him to stay in Europe to play on his team and develop.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_QQ1IaLk7JHI609wSLc0qV3.articleMode_on.html

LongIslandZagFan
11-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Story about Sabonis-- it sounds like his coach wants him to stay in Europe to play on his team and develop.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_QQ1IaLk7JHI609wSLc0qV3.articleMode_on.html

I read that as... damn it... I keep losing kids to the US colleges. He lost me at the Euro coaches are better line.

Zagdawg
11-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Agree

DixieZag
11-01-2013, 06:02 PM
I read that as... damn it... I keep losing kids to the US colleges. He lost me at the Euro coaches are better line.

Wow. That sounds like a cry for help. A far better line would be "we have good coaches, too."

Oregonzagnut
11-02-2013, 01:52 AM
All I can say is if Sabonis wants a great Jesuit education, a unique basketball program and a National Championship, he should come to Gonzaga. Few is building an elite winning program with many similarities and successes second only to Wooden era UCLA.

Few programs are as poised for victory as Gonzaga. But Mark Few is poised for a run like no other if he can elevate his post season coaching to match the talent he is getting. Sabonis should make the jump today and he should pick Gonzaga.

Period.

northsidezagfan
11-04-2013, 05:09 AM
http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=004485&seasoncode=E2013

Stats for this season.

DixieZag
11-04-2013, 06:34 AM
http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=004485&seasoncode=E2013

Stats for this season.

Was this a league of full grown men that he was playing in? If so, how competitive is it? (This goes out to people who know) I just assume it is not a league of contemporaries since I read the averages of 12 minutes and 3 pts per minute. Not what one would expect from competition of U18s but certainly understandable if he was playing in a men's league

Zagdawg
11-04-2013, 07:09 AM
I was wondering the same thing-- so I dug around a few days ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euroleague_Basketball

The Turkish Airlines Euroleague, commonly known as the Euroleague, is the highest level tier and most important professional club basketball competition in Europe, with teams from up to 18 different countries, members of FIBA Europe. For sponsorship reasons, for five seasons starting with 2010–11, it is named the Turkish Airlines Euroleague.[1] The competition is controlled by the private company Euroleague Basketball Company, and features clubs that come from a Europe-wide consortium of leading professional basketball leagues, called ULEB. During the season, the Euroleague is broadcast on television in 199 countries[2] and can be seen by up to 245 million (800 million via satellite) households weekly in China.[3] It is also televised in the United States and Canada on NBA TV and available online through ESPN3. The Euroleague Final Four is also broadcast on television in 199 countries.[4]

webspinnre
11-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Was this a league of full grown men that he was playing in? If so, how competitive is it? (This goes out to people who know) I just assume it is not a league of contemporaries since I read the averages of 12 minutes and 3 pts per minute. Not what one would expect from competition of U18s but certainly understandable if he was playing in a men's league

This is the top league in Spain, which is one of the top non-NBA leagues in the world.

Zagdawg
11-04-2013, 07:18 AM

It looks like the Euroleague is made up of top Europeans, ex college players who are not in the NBA and ex NBA players-- many consider it the next best thing behind the NBA.

The Turkish Airlines Euroleague, commonly known as the Euroleague, is the highest level tier and most important professional club basketball competition in Europe, with teams from up to 18 different countries, members of FIBA Europe. For sponsorship reasons, for five seasons starting with 2010–11, it is named the Turkish Airlines Euroleague.[1] The competition is controlled by the private company Euroleague Basketball Company, and features clubs that come from a Europe-wide consortium of leading professional basketball leagues, called ULEB. During the season, the Euroleague is broadcast on television in 199 countries[2] and can be seen by up to 245 million (800 million via satellite) households weekly in China.[3] It is also televised in the United States and Canada on NBA TV and available online through ESPN3. The Euroleague Final Four is also broadcast on television in 199 countries.[4]

titopoet
11-04-2013, 07:32 AM

It looks like the Euroleague is made up of top Europeans, ex college players who are not in the NBA and ex NBA players-- many consider it the next best thing behind the NBA.

This the league that Pargo became a star and then signed a NBA contract. He is currently playing there for Moscow (for a mil or so a year). Sabonis, if he plays for GU, will be the rare player that goes down in competition than he has face in D1.

GoZags
11-04-2013, 07:53 AM
This the league that Pargo became a star and then signed a NBA contract. He is currently playing there for Moscow (for a mil or so a year). Sabonis, if he plays for GU, will be the rare player that goes down in competition than he has face in D1.

Jeremy Pargo's contract is $5.2 million over two years.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/06/11/jeremy-pargo-moscow-cska-nba/

Zagdawg
11-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Thats not bad at all-- getting paid for doing something he loves.

TravelinZag
11-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Can anyone confirm that Sabonis's arrangement preserves his eligibility to compete in NCAA basketball? Also, has he completed the equivalent of US high school and academically eligible to enroll in US universities?

In short, is it simply a matter of whether he wants to play college basketball in the US, and whether he wants to do so at Gonzaga, or are those questions moot?

kitzbuel
11-04-2013, 09:31 AM

He knows fully well that the NCAA is the best entry way to the NBA. Top players want to go to the NBA, just like top soccer players want to go to Europe.

DixieZag
11-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Can anyone confirm that Sabonis's arrangement preserves his eligibility to compete in NCAA basketball? Also, has he completed the equivalent of US high school and academically eligible to enroll in US universities?

In short, is it simply a matter of whether he wants to play college basketball in the US, and whether he wants to do so at Gonzaga, or are those questions moot?

That was what I was wondering. How could he play in such an elite (and it certainly seems to be) professional league and yet be eligible. There must be a way b/c we would not be after him. . . still, wonder how.

Some really good answers to my question above about the type of league he was playing in, thx

DixieZag
11-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Thats not bad at all-- getting paid for doing something he loves.

That is fantastic - and if I recall correctly, it is a pay raise from last year. I thought that he was a 1M/Year in last year's NBA contract.

Glad to hear he got a contract like that. Moscow is just under NYC and Hong Kong as most expensive cities to live in, IIRC

BobZag
11-04-2013, 11:42 AM
CDC can vouch that I was always more excited about Sabonis than Travis, though I know the latter is very good. I feel GU gets Sabonis IF he chooses to go the college route.

maynard g krebs
11-04-2013, 12:42 PM
How could he play in such an elite (and it certainly seems to be) professional league and yet be eligible. There must be a way b/c we would not be after him. . . still, wonder how.

I've read that there a lot of teams in other countries that have amateurs playing on the same team as pros. As long as he's not getting paid, it shouldn't be an issue. His father can probably front him a loan till he goes pro, and it would seem that the Sabonis family is in a position to avoid any mistakes that could jeopardize his eligibility.

75Zag
11-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I believe that the current NCAA rule allows amateur European players such as Sabonis to receive an allowance to cover their costs and still retain eligibility to play in NCAA, even if the rest of their team is being paid as professionals. This is a change from a few years ago, when playing for any pro team caused a player to lose NCAA eligibility.

I remain skeptical that Sabonis is headed to GU, but I don't think eligibility based upon "pro league" will be the problem.

Go Bulldogs!

jchocolate99
11-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Dumb question but since he's playing in this league would mean he's considered and elite player right or is it not uncommon to have amateurs play in that league?

75Zag
11-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Sabonis is the equivalent of a HS senior. His father is famous and he is pretty tall for his age. In my opinion it is yet to be determined whether or not he is "elite". There are also strong indications he may move from HS directly to a highly paid European league and bypass the NCAA. It would be nice to see him give GU a try but as I said, I am skeptical.

Go Bulldogs!

Zagdawg
11-04-2013, 01:34 PM
My primary hope is that he is still considering the NCAA-- even for a year. My reasoning behind this-- he hasn't signed a contract with a team yet (he could be getting paid to play in the Euroleague now -- and it would not affect his jumping to the NBA--- but he has chose not to sign the contract/get paid).

Here is some more info on him from Wiki.

Despite being only 16-year-old, on September 5, 2012 he debuted in main Unicaja Málaga team during the game against Cibona Zagreb.[1] However he was loaned to Clínicas Rincón for the 12/13 season. He was recalled in 2013. Domantas haven't signed professional contract with salary because he wishes to play in NCAA in 2014.[2] On October 13, 2013, he debuted in ACB league as a Unicaja member. Domantas started the game in starting line-up and scored 6 points, grabbed 3 rebounds per 15 minutes of game action.[3] He is the youngest Unicaja player to debut in ACB (17 years, 5 months and 10 days).[4] On October 18, 2013, he debuted in Euroleague during the game against consecutive 2-time champions Olympiacos Piraeus by scoring 2 points with a dunk and grabbing 2 rebounds per 11 minutes.[5]

Bogozags
11-04-2013, 01:36 PM
"75" Isn't his father in the NBA Hall of Fame? If that is the case, I am just thinking out loud but they are most likely wealthy. If they are, then getting an education would be something his father might well want him to achieve. Playing professionally in Europe and then getting noticed by NBA scouts is what Rubio did and he is making millions with the TImberwolves. I am just guessing but think playing in college would be a much more viable option as of right now, he is not a first or second round pick and Rubio was...

I have been wrong before and could be wrong in the future - maybe - but IMO he will go to college and hopefully, he pick GU!

Sabonis is the equivalent of a HS senior. His father is famous and he is pretty tall for his age. In my opinion it is yet to be determined whether or not he is "elite". There are also strong indications he may move from HS directly to a highly paid European league and bypass the NCAA. It would be nice to see him give GU a try but as I said, I am skeptical.

Go Bulldogs!

Zagdawg
11-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Looking at top European players by birth year -- Sabonis is #1 in many of the rankings for players born in 1996-- so he is probably a pretty decent player.

http://www.eurohopes.com/home

Karnowski is consider #4 in his group (1993).

ZagaZags
11-04-2013, 03:28 PM
"75" Isn't his father in the NBA Hall of Fame? If that is the case, I am just thinking out loud but they are most likely wealthy. If they are, then getting an education would be something his father might well want him to achieve. Playing professionally in Europe and then getting noticed by NBA scouts is what Rubio did and he is making millions with the TImberwolves. I am just guessing but think playing in college would be a much more viable option as of right now, he is not a first or second round pick and Rubio was...

I have been wrong before and could be wrong in the future - maybe - but IMO he will go to college and hopefully, he pick GU!

His father was in the NBA but not in HOF.

maynard g krebs
11-04-2013, 04:26 PM
"75" Isn't his father in the NBA Hall of Fame?

FIBA and Naismith HOF, but probably not NBA as he only played 7 seasons in his 30's, averaging 12 pts and 7 reb/gm in 24 min. Blazers' GM Bob Whitsitt was quoted as saying by the time he came to the US he would have qualified for a handicapped parking permit based on his X rays alone.

But yes, he should be pretty rich anyway.

007Zag
11-05-2013, 06:01 AM
My primary hope is that he is still considering the NCAA-- even for a year. My reasoning behind this-- he hasn't signed a contract with a team yet (he could be getting paid to play in the Euroleague now -- and it would not affect his jumping to the NBA--- but he has chose not to sign the contract/get paid).

I agree with Zagdawg. Preserving NCAA eligibility is the only reason for Sabonis not having a professional, paid contract right now. That doesn't mean he will absolutely end up going to college, but it sure suggests he is thinking strongly about it. Based on BZ's voucher and the general sentiment surrounding Sabonis' future, I think Gonzaga's chances are good if he does.

exclusivelee
11-05-2013, 02:15 PM

Stats for this season.

His team also plays in the Endesa League, where he has played an additional 4 games thus far this year

There is tab on this page which gives a statistics breakdown for both his Euroleague and Endesa League stats, as well as a combined total:

http://www.unicajabaloncesto.com/jugadores/sabonis.php

Zagdawg
12-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Sabonis getting very little time on the floor in games this year--averaging 10.37 minutes--2.3 pts and 2.2 rebounds--

It makes sense for him to come to play NCAA ball so he can get some additional development, exposure and experience.

ZagaZags
04-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Pretty cool dunk by Sabonis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WIQrUM1GJE

OZZY
04-09-2014, 07:28 PM
This might be easier to read stats wise.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Domantas_Sabonis/Spain/Unicaja_Malaga/257094

ZagaZags
04-09-2014, 09:42 PM
This might be easier to read stats wise.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Domantas_Sabonis/Spain/Unicaja_Malaga/257094

Thanks OZZY. I think he will improve on the FT % I know Dower and Sacre did.

2wiceright
04-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Sabonis getting very little time on the floor in games this year--averaging 10.37 minutes--2.3 pts and 2.2 rebounds--

It makes sense for him to come to play NCAA ball so he can get some additional development, exposure and experience.

Apparently not anymore... Due to an injury he's broken the starting rotation and basically playing with men. Is this a last ditch effort to get Sabonis to stay and play for a big paycheck until he can go NBA pro????

link:

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2014/4/7/5592638/sabonis-wants-to-wait-till-june

Mantua
04-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Apparently not anymore... Due to an injury he's broken the starting rotation and basically playing with men. Is this a last ditch effort to get Sabonis to stay and play for a big paycheck until he can go NBA pro????

link:

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2014/4/7/5592638/sabonis-wants-to-wait-till-june

It may just be more comfortable to finish the season without being the guy who's leaving. Waiting to make the announcement doesn't really have to be about the decision itself.

2wiceright
04-12-2014, 05:49 PM
It may just be more comfortable to finish the season without being the guy who's leaving. Waiting to make the announcement doesn't really have to be about the decision itself.

You've got a good point, Mantua. He's finally getting good time and why mess with things when he doesn't have too. Probably enough pressure from coach and teammates as is...

ZagaZags
04-17-2014, 07:32 PM
Today is National Sabonis day. :cheers:

ZagaZags
08-17-2014, 04:48 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0417/ncb_g_sabonis01jr_1296x729.jpg

The first time Domantas Sabonis serves up a behind the head two-handed dime with his back to the basket, to a teammate for an open lay-in, I will officially lose my marbles. I may be a bit ahead of myself, but say he even flips a pass to a cutting teammate from the post with moderately grizzled accuracy, or busts out a virtually unstoppable hook-shot I will need a solid couple minutes to catch my breath, fetch a glass of water, and maybe even seek a divine cleansing.

A little debrief on Domantas’ father is necessary given the legacy he withholds: Arvydas Sabonis, 49 and retired, was perhaps one of the best passing centers and the most complete centers of all time who was dominant with an NBA career that began in 1996–well past his prime. Had he been able to come to the Portland Trailblazers (who drafted him in 1986) at the time he was drafted barring Soviet sovereignty issues, he would have played on a dominant Blazer squad who reached the finals in ’92 (losing to Jordan’s Bulls, of course) with the likes of Clyde Drexler, Terry Porter, Jerome Kersey and Buck Williams. Since he produced a very effective NBA career with the knees of a 70-year-old, making the argument that the 7’4″ monster could have tipped the Blazers to de-throne Jordan is fully plausible.

Alright, back to Domantas.

I may sound daft comparing the greatest European center of all time to his son, but in reality their games are much different. For starters Domantas is 6’10″ and 215 lbs, so almost 6 inches and 75 pounds beneath his father–and he is a smooth lefty.

Domantas possesses a solid jumper, decent three point shot, and a very smooth post game, appearing comfortable and consistent with his back to the backset and finishing down low.

Even if just flashes of Domantas’ game mirror his father’s, that would be a major victory for GU and eye candy for fans alike.

More at link.

http://westcoastconvo.com/2014/08/17/meet-freshmen-gonzagas-domantas-sabonis/

Reborn
08-17-2014, 06:16 PM
I love the intensity he possesses. Ya can't teach that.

Naph
08-25-2014, 04:46 PM
It's only a one-liner at the end of the article, but Nylon Calculus likes him as part of its "Projecting International Prospects" series.

I also recommend you keep your eye on Arvydas Sabonis’ son Domantas, whose ’14 Junior Championships performance trailed only Dragan’s. - Nylon Calculus (http://nyloncalculus.com/2014/08/21/projecting-international-prospects-part-3/)