PDA

View Full Version : Moser news

GoZags
04-26-2013, 12:05 PM
Interview (from Oregon) with Mike Moser's AAU coach -- Kumbeno Memory

http://oregon.247sports.com/Article/Mike-Mosers-AAU-coach-details-how-his-visit-to-Oregon-went-128236

While Gonzaga doesn't have the TV deal or the strength of schedule that Oregon or Washington have Memory says the Zags present something neither team can claim.
"Gonzaga is the only one out of the three that Mike knows will make the NCAA Tournament next year," says Memory. "That is very important for Mike. He wants to make another run in the Tournament."
Moser will visit Gonzaga Sunday to Monday and then return back to Las Vegas to decide where he will finish his college career.
"I think all three schools are neck and neck," Memory said. "They've all done a great job recruiting him and he's positioned himself to make a good choice. There isn't a wrong choice here for Mike."

rijman
04-26-2013, 12:26 PM

http://oregon.247sports.com/Article/Mike-Mosers-AAU-coach-details-how-his-visit-to-Oregon-went-128236

"I think all three schools are neck and neck," Memory said. "They've all done a great job recruiting him and he's positioned himself to make a good choice. There isn't a wrong choice here for Mike."

Thanks for posting.

There might not be a wrong choice for Mike, but I have a strong opinion about who the best choice is, the team he knows is going to the NCAA tourney next season.

jazzdelmar
04-26-2013, 12:30 PM
neck and neck sounds like the zags have lost a few strides. wasnt GU the leader at one time, or was that the other guy? confused in DM:D

johno
04-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Don't think he's right about the strength of schedule and TV exposure statements. Let's hope those assertions are corrected when he visits.

VaBeachZAG
04-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Gonzaga doesn't have the TV deal or strength of schedule that UW has? What in the world is this guy thinking? As we all know, the PAC12 is way down right now and the quality of UW's non-conference schedule is nonexistent. I am sure Few and company will set Moser straight on that issue come the weekend!!!!

SanDiegoZag
04-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Gonzaga doesn't have the TV deal that UW has?

I'm pretty sure anyone with Direct TV would beg to differ.

sittingon50
04-26-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm fairly certain the Staff will be able to refute that TV/SOS disinformation for MM & family.

Anybody know how often each of the 3 teams was on ESPN Networks last year? If memory serves, it wasn't even close.

hondo
04-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Sounds like he got some of his information from Mr. Romar.

KStyles
04-26-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm fairly certain the Staff will be able to refute that TV/SOS disinformation for MM & family.

Anybody know how often each of the 3 teams was on ESPN Networks last year? If memory serves, it wasn't even close.

UW was on an ESPN network (ESPN/2/3/U) 12 times, GU 18.

As for non-ESPN games, a major difference is that the Pac-12 is a national network compared to the regional network ROOT NW.

Looking at national games, UW had 28 games on national networks, GU only had 20 (the two NCAA games).

http://seattletimes.com/flatpages/sports/huskies/mensbasketball/schedule.html
http://seattletimes.com/flatpages/sports/gonzaga/mensbasketball/schedule.html

MDABE80
04-26-2013, 01:10 PM
We have Big TIME TV deal/.much better than the P12. They have their own channel (continually reminding us as to how weak P12 is) but we are NATION WIDE and uplinked! 20 ESPN games this year. Nobody's got that.
C'mere Mikey.........we need a chat ;)

Zagdawg
04-26-2013, 01:18 PM
I think the pac12 network is like channel 4382756 on your comcast dial (ok maybe 431).

I like his tendancy to want to go to the dance...the huskies have missed the last 2 years and I don't know that they will be dancing this year either.

229SintoZag
04-26-2013, 01:30 PM
UW was on an ESPN network (ESPN/2/3/U) 12 times, GU 18.

As for non-ESPN games, a major difference is that the Pac-12 is a national network compared to the regional network ROOT NW.

Looking at national games, UW had 28 games on national networks, GU only had 20 (the two NCAA games).

No network is a national network if it is unavailable to DirecTV subscribers, many of whom are the most intense and dedicated of sports fans in the country. There are a lot of DirecTV subscribers whose main motivation in getting DirecTV was for the superior sports programming.

I have had DirecTV for over 10 years and there is a zero percent chance I would switch to another provider just to get the Pac 12 network.

Even the Big 10 network, which is much better established, is not great exposure. They have been on the air for years and still need to place their marquee games on ESPN, CBS, etc. You may have noticed that the epic Michigan-Indiana game, for example, wasn't broadcase on the B10 network this year. Nor were any of their other truly marquee games. There is a reason for that.

Captive conference networks like this are bogus. No recruit should be impressed if this is the "national" exposure someone is selling. It's about as "national" as Romar's OOC scheduling since retreating from his annual a$$-whipping by the Zags.

True national TV exposure is ESPN, CBS, ABC, etc.

Malastein
04-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Maybe his parents don't have DirectTV and can watch his games?

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-26-2013, 01:53 PM
UW was on an ESPN network 12 times, GU 18.

Pac-12 is a national network vs. ROOTNW as a regional network though.

Looking at national games, UW had 28 games on national networks, GU had 20 (the two NCAA games).

PAC 12 Network is not shown on my cable package and we get about 250 channels, including a lot of national and regional sports stations. We don't get Root NW, either.

basketballzag
04-26-2013, 02:20 PM
I saw almost every single Zag game on TV this year in Louisiana. I can only recall a small handful of times I saw Oregon or Washington on TV.

CDC84
04-26-2013, 02:36 PM
The Pac 12 Network is simply not widely available right now. And it's not likely to become more widely available over the next year. Moser only has one year of eligibility left.

Besides, Moser is from Portland, Oregon. I would assume friends and family can pick up Root Sports NW. Kennel games are a 50 minute cheap plane ride away.

Moser has already visited Oregon and UW. He hasn't visited GU yet. If all three are neck and neck going into the GU visit, I like GU's chances.

It's been a distant memory since Mr. Memory has coached Mike Moser as a high schooler. I still don't understand why recruiting sites consult AAU coaches about graduate transfers who they coached 4-5 years ago. Nor do I understand why those AAU coaches feel a need to participate in such interviews. Even if Moser and Memory are still close, their relationship is simply not the same as it was when Moser was in AAU ball with a thousand and one college coaches following his every step. And yet Mr. Memory's tone is that of a AAU coach pumping up his 16 year old prodigy. Mike is a grown up now.

GoGU
04-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Moser shouldn't be making this decision based on TV exposure anyway. This should be a decision based on program, playing time, and the NCAA Tournament (in which every team has a national TV audience anyway). He is an instant impact guy on a team like GU. I don't know enough about who Oregon has coming back next year, and UW? Psshh.

kyle dixon
04-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Oregon is an up and comer. Dana Altman was a great hire for them. They were in the Sweet 16 and I assume they are going to be legit once again. I do like our chances as UW is going to be green again. They lose Gaddy and Ndyaie and I do know Wilcox is back.

I agree with CDC as the last visit is to Gonzaga for Moser. I hope we can get this guy!

jazzdelmar
04-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Let's not forget we also have Phillyzag also for those hard to get games. Can't imagine there's a Husky or Duck w such devotion.

JPtheBeasta
04-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Don't think he's right about the strength of schedule and TV exposure statements. Let's hope those assertions are corrected when he visits.

Those were my thoughts, as well.

UberZagFan
04-26-2013, 03:56 PM
no network is a national network if it is unavailable to directv subscribers, many of whom are the most intense and dedicated of sports fans in the country. There are a lot of directv subscribers whose main motivation in getting directv was for the superior sports programming.

I have had directv for over 10 years and there is a zero percent chance i would switch to another provider just to get the pac 12 network.

Even the big 10 network, which is much better established, is not great exposure. They have been on the air for years and still need to place their marquee games on espn, cbs, etc. You may have noticed that the epic michigan-indiana game, for example, wasn't broadcase on the b10 network this year. Nor were any of their other truly marquee games. There is a reason for that.

Captive conference networks like this are bogus. No recruit should be impressed if this is the "national" exposure someone is selling. It's about as "national" as romar's ooc scheduling since retreating from his annual a$$-whipping by the zags.

True national tv exposure is espn, cbs, abc, etc.

qft

MTZag03
04-26-2013, 06:16 PM
The whole idea that UW or Oregon are somehow on TV more than GU...Bahahahahahahahahahahaha! What? Seriously? That's the argument? I agree with everything every poster has said above me. Wow. And yes, why are we listening to an AAU coach from 4 years ago?

GoZags
04-26-2013, 06:45 PM
The whole idea that UW or Oregon are somehow on TV more than GU...Bahahahahahahahahahahaha! What? Seriously? That's the argument? I agree with everything every poster has said above me. Wow. And yes, why are we listening to an AAU coach from 4 years ago?

If you have a source for information from a source other than Mike Moser's mentor and advisor, please feel free to link it.

I don't have a whole of of experience with AAU coaches other than Jim Marsh (our Sonics tickets were adjacent and I'm on his Washington State Mentors Board of Directors). Jim stays in contact and offers advice (when asked) to all of "his" kids ... who include guys like Spencer Hawes, Jon Brockman, Micah Downs, Luke Sikma, Martell Webster and dozens and dozens of others.

maynard g krebs
04-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Oregon is an up and comer. Dana Altman was a great hire for them. They were in the Sweet 16 and I assume they are going to be legit once again. I do like our chances as UW is going to be green again. They lose Gaddy and Ndyaie and I do know Wilcox is back.

I agree with CDC as the last visit is to Gonzaga for Moser. I hope we can get this guy!

Oregon has a terrific young backcourt, but loses Kazemi, Singler, Emory, and Woods from the front line. My guess is that they are stiffer competition for Moser than UW is, as Altman can point to the success of four one-year transfers he has brought in as he had to patch things together due to all the turnover when he took the job- Strowbridge, Ashualu, Joseph, and Kazemi. The latter two were each arguably the Ducks' most important player in their year there.

As to whether they'll be legit this year, they only return 2 guys up front that averaged a couple points a game, and add couple of athletic but by most accounts raw fr bigs. With Moser they'd be a tournament team again; without him it would seem doubtful, but Altman has been a magician so far.

RRZagFan
04-27-2013, 04:09 PM
sounds like after his visit it won't take him long to choose.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 1h
UNLV's Mike Moser will visit Gonzaga Sunday + decide on where he'll play next yr by mid week, per a source. Oregon + Washington also in mix.

Mojo13
04-27-2013, 05:52 PM
I'm in Los Angeles with Time Warner Cable, pretty sure I watched about 90-95% of GU's games this year.
UNLV had near the same amount. Only a couple conference games I remember missing.