PDA

View Full Version : Story about Rob Sacre

ZagNative
08-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Nice story this morning about Rob back home in B.C. (http://www.northshoreoutlook.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=43&cat=40&id=1045381&more=0)

Sacré working for starting role on Zags

By SAM COOPER Staff Reporter

Aug 16 2007

Based on first impressions, North Vancouver’s biggest basketball star, 6’11” Robert Sacré, is over the moon about his choice to join the NCAA division 1 Gonzaga Bulldogs.

The Handsworth graduate just returned home from an intense five-week session of practice, weightlifting and studying at the Washington State school.

Interviewed on his way to hit the weights at William Griffin recCentre, Sacré said he’s happy to be back in North Van, but he already feels like a Bulldog at heart.

“I loved it there, it’s like a second home, I miss it already,” Sacré joked. “Right now I’m just enjoying myself and refreshing my mind for the hard work when I go back.”

Sacré put on eight pounds of muscle at the summer session under the guidance of Gonzaga’s staff, and said the added power will help him adjust to banging with the big boys in American college basketball.

“I don’t really feel the difference, I turned some fat into muscle I guess,” he said. “It’s just going to help me posting up against stronger guys.” Sacré said his coaches are working on his quickness and strength, as well as perfecting the “little things” on the court. As always, the physically imposing and athletically gifted centre is being urged to drive the basket with authority. “Every coach in my life has said that,” he said, laughing.

Sacré added his physical attributes fit in well as the Bulldogs are a physically strong team, and he’s been impressed with the chemistry and camaraderie budding among the players already.

Angelo Roncalli
08-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Great find, ZN.

I also liked the next paragraph in the story:

Besides his progression on the basketball court, Sacré completed a five-week university study course to jump start his academic career, typically handing in four papers per week and often studying late into the night after practice. He was rewarded with an A on his first college paper.

Zag509
08-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Yes...Yes....Its all falling together....

Congrats to Rob for the progress, on the floor and in the classroom.

tyra
08-16-2007, 09:22 AM
If Josh goes out at the end of this year, Rob will be the difference for us in not missing a beat. But of course, I hope Josh doesn't go out.

Zags-Bsee
08-16-2007, 09:36 AM
THANKS for the link and highlighted text. This site makes Zag basketball even more enjoyable.

El Voce
08-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Zag Native -- Thanks for the find!:)

lawzag
08-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Good article ZN, I especially liked the fact that he already "feels like a bulldog at heart" and was "impressed with the chemistry and camaraderie budding among the players already"! This says GREAT things about how the new guys are fitting into the program and it says GREAT things about how Sacre is buying into the ZAG package....

The fact that he got excellent grades this summer also indicates that he will likely be a good student athlete like Mallon & Pendo and others before them.

Good to see that he is continuing his training even while home on break, that also says something about his dedication to the coaches/trainers goals for him!

Way to go Sacre!

CDC84
08-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Sacre has a very bright future. He just needs coaching, and lots of it. Particularly with his low post offensive skills. He has all the physical tools - the things you can't teach - to play at the next level one day.

Scotto
08-16-2007, 11:22 AM
The fact that he got excellent grades this summer also indicates that he will likely be a good student athlete like Mallon & Pendo and others before them.

LOL. You obviously don't know him. Robbie is off to a great start with school, but don't expect him to be a scholastic all-american.

DenDiegoZag
08-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Got to love the fact that every coach he has ever had has told him to take it to the rack HARD...Sounds like the same thing that a certain Frenchman was told as a Zag freshman...and he turned out pretty well...

BobZag
08-16-2007, 02:34 PM
LOL. You obviously don't know him. Robbie is off to a great start with school, but don't expect him to be a scholastic all-american.

Mallon and Pendo aren't academic all-americans, either, but good students nonetheless. :)

jigga5
08-16-2007, 03:30 PM
sacre is a good dude and I kno him personally, but LOL at turning fat into muscle! Fat doesnt convert to muscle..... you loose fat, then gain muscle or you can do it simultaneously(sp) but its VERY difficult that way.

sittingon50
08-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Having never seen Rob play I'm not sure what to expect. But if he gets the sense that he may be a starter then this team is gonna' be better than I expected (& I was expecting pretty good).

GonzagaLove
08-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Let's roll!!!!!!!

ZagNative
08-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Let's roll!!!!!!!

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/idl/vapr/20070617/193812-63473.jpg

saintzag
08-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Go Rob-the big Zag that can.

Zags-Bsee
08-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Sacre - H U G E

I love the Zags, but I have missed having a big strong guy that makes all our other players better. I tried to find the thread that said how aggressive Rob was playing this summer. I look forward to seeing BIG-STRONG in a Zag uniform. Josh is awesome, but not Football aggressive awesome. I really look forward to seeing how well Rob plays in a few years as a Zag.

Sacre - H U G E

ZagNative
08-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Oh, gosh. 78 days until the first game of the -07-08 season in K2. I just watched the video linked in my signature and was trying to imagine what it might be like the first game the fans see our Zag rookies (and Ira) take the floor in front of the Kennel Club, and how our newcomers might feel.

Any prognostications about how their intros are likely to be handled, based on past experience, first time on the floor at McCarthy Athletic Center for pre-game warmups?

Rob Sacre
Steven Gray
Austin Daye
Ira Brown
Theo Davis

We need Bulldogshawn to paint us a picture!

I'm not a season-ticket holder, but I need to figure out a way to get a pair (of tickets!) for at least the opener. I'll have to duct-tape my entire body to keep parts of my person from flying off and hurting innocent bystanders as I bounce along with Zombie nation!

Too hyped for the season to begin? Well .... maybe just a little ...

El Voce
08-17-2007, 08:07 AM
I'm not a season-ticket holder, but I need to figure out a way to get a pair (of tickets!) for at least the opener. I'll have to duct-tape my entire body to keep parts of my person from flying off and hurting innocent bystanders as I bounce along with Zombie nation!

Too hyped for the season to begin? Well .... maybe just a little ...

Zag Native -- Just for you!:D

http://home.comcast.net/~zagslug/bunnies2.htm