PDA

View Full Version : davis situation today

jazzdelmar
04-25-2013, 03:40 AM
SDSU basketball linked to Tulane transfer

By Mark Zeigler3:19 p.m.April 24, 2013

A basketball team that has historically stocked its roster with California kids may be close to getting a big assist from the opposite side of the country.

Josh Davis, a physical 6-foot-8 forward who averaged 17.6 points and 10.7 rebounds for Tulane, reportedly is headed west for his final year of collegiate eligibility. It’s just a question of whether it’s the Northwest or Southwest.

Davis, according to multiple sources, is said to have narrowed his choices to Gonzaga and San Diego State. And because he would be a fifth-year senior with an undergraduate degree, he would not have to sit out a season as a transfer and could play immediately.

Davis attended Athens Drive High in Raleigh, N.C., and went to college two miles away at North Carolina State, where he played in 31 games as a freshman. Seeking a bigger role, he transferred to Tulane in New Orleans, sat out a year and played the past two seasons. In the recently-completed season, he led the Green Wave in scoring, rebounding and minutes played (35.7) on a team that finished 20-15 and reached the second round of the CollegeInsider.com Tournament.

“I’m so proud of Josh,” Tulane head coach Ed Conroy said after Davis was named first team all-Conference USA. “No one works harder, and he has ever since he stepped on this campus. To see it has all paid off for him is a great feeling.”

Could the Aztecs use him?

You bet.

SDSU coaches are precluded from discussing potential recruits, whether they are in high school or already in college, but it is no secret the Aztecs lacked an inside presence this year and are even thinner there next season. Or that a hallmark of Steve Fisher’s system is long, active, versatile forwards in the mold of Kawhi Leonard, Billy White and Jamaal Franklin who thrive in SDSU’s high-post offense.

Davis previously was linked to Illinois, Iowa State, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, Arizona and even a return to North Carolina State. Another option was to turn pro and skip his fourth year of collegiate eligibility. Another option was to stay at Tulane despite obtaining his release to speak with other schools.

But his high school coach, Robert Clemons, told the Arizona Daily Star on Wednesday that the Wildcats appear too loaded at Davis’ position and his most likely destination is Gonzaga or SDSU.

Gonzaga loses senior Elias Harris, but the Bulldogs return several other forwards and may also get UNLV transfer Mike Moser – who was initially thought to be headed for Washington and is now considering Gonzaga and Oregon as well.

The Aztecs lose five and possibly six players from the 2012-13 roster: four seniors, junior Jamaal Franklin to the NBA Draft and the expected transfer of junior LaBradford Franklin. With the fall signing of Dakarai Allen and D’Erryl Williams from Sheldon High in Sacramento, that leaves four remaining scholarships for 2013-14.

JAGzag
04-25-2013, 04:04 AM
Seems like we'd be the logical choice if he has aspirations of playing after college. Plus, the development of Kelly would be a huge sell, I would think.

Plus, what does Moser have to do with Davis? Wouln't they both replace Harris and Kelly, respectively?

Bogozags
04-25-2013, 04:04 AM
Jazz,
GREAT find!

Wonder if Davis will schedule a visit to GU?
Could Davis be waiting for Moser's decision?

VaBeachZAG
04-25-2013, 05:29 AM
If the coaches characterize this as a first to commit gets the scholi, it will put tremendous pressure on Moser to decide this weekend. If I were a betting man, I would say we get a commitment from Moser this weekend. I raised a question in another thread and will raise it here again: is it possible for Davis to play the three so that he and Moser could theoretically start at the same time? I thought I read somewhere that Davis doesn't pack a lot of weight on his 6'8' frame. So, is Davis quick enough to play the three, or would he even want to? With PK/Dower, Moser, and Davis across the front line we would be back in top 10 territory!

basketballzag
04-25-2013, 05:35 AM
I could be wrong but I believe Mike Moser is a Swing Forward and Josh Davis is a Power Forward.

jazzdelmar
04-25-2013, 05:36 AM
If the coaches characterize this as a first to commit gets the scholi, it will put tremendous pressure on Moser to decide this weekend. If I were a betting man, I would say we get a commitment from Moser this weekend. I raised a question in another thread and will raise it here again: is it possible for Davis to play the three so that he and Moser could theoretically start at the same time? I thought I read somewhere that Davis doesn't pack a lot of weight on his 6'8' frame. So, is Davis quick enough to play the three, or would he even want to? With PK/Dower, Moser, and Davis across the front line we would be back in top 10 territory!

if GU gets Moser and Davis they both start of course....Dower sits and maybe even Karno w KP, GB and Coleman. Best players play. Or Coleman supplants Bell and Karno is at C.

thespywhozaggedme
04-25-2013, 05:40 AM
SDSU basketball linked to Tulane transfer

By Mark Zeigler3:19 p.m.April 24, 2013

A basketball team that has historically stocked its roster with California kids may be close to getting a big assist from the opposite side of the country.

Josh Davis, a physical 6-foot-8 forward who averaged 17.6 points and 10.7 rebounds for Tulane, reportedly is headed west for his final year of collegiate eligibility. It’s just a question of whether it’s the Northwest or Southwest.

Davis, according to multiple sources, is said to have narrowed his choices to Gonzaga and San Diego State. And because he would be a fifth-year senior with an undergraduate degree, he would not have to sit out a season as a transfer and could play immediately.

Davis attended Athens Drive High in Raleigh, N.C., and went to college two miles away at North Carolina State, where he played in 31 games as a freshman. Seeking a bigger role, he transferred to Tulane in New Orleans, sat out a year and played the past two seasons. In the recently-completed season, he led the Green Wave in scoring, rebounding and minutes played (35.7) on a team that finished 20-15 and reached the second round of the CollegeInsider.com Tournament.

“I’m so proud of Josh,” Tulane head coach Ed Conroy said after Davis was named first team all-Conference USA. “No one works harder, and he has ever since he stepped on this campus. To see it has all paid off for him is a great feeling.”

Could the Aztecs use him?

You bet.

SDSU coaches are precluded from discussing potential recruits, whether they are in high school or already in college, but it is no secret the Aztecs lacked an inside presence this year and are even thinner there next season. Or that a hallmark of Steve Fisher’s system is long, active, versatile forwards in the mold of Kawhi Leonard, Billy White and Jamaal Franklin who thrive in SDSU’s high-post offense.

Davis previously was linked to Illinois, Iowa State, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, Arizona and even a return to North Carolina State. Another option was to turn pro and skip his fourth year of collegiate eligibility. Another option was to stay at Tulane despite obtaining his release to speak with other schools.

But his high school coach, Robert Clemons, told the Arizona Daily Star on Wednesday that the Wildcats appear too loaded at Davis’ position and his most likely destination is Gonzaga or SDSU.

Gonzaga loses senior Elias Harris, but the Bulldogs return several other forwards and may also get UNLV transfer Mike Moser – who was initially thought to be headed for Washington and is now considering Gonzaga and Oregon as well.

The Aztecs lose five and possibly six players from the 2012-13 roster: four seniors, junior Jamaal Franklin to the NBA Draft and the expected transfer of junior LaBradford Franklin. With the fall signing of Dakarai Allen and D’Erryl Williams from Sheldon High in Sacramento, that leaves four remaining scholarships for 2013-14.

wow, good find! you gotta provide the link to avoid plagarism charges though. This is very exciting.

basketballzag
04-25-2013, 05:41 AM
Adding both players would add a lot of depth but at the same time would benefit if they want to get to the next level because the extra man or two would provide rest breaks for the others and vice versa. This typically limits the chances that someone gets injured when they get tired in a physically demanding basketball season. It would also create another legitimate opportunity for the Zags to do something we haven't done--reach the final four.

jazzdelmar
04-25-2013, 05:44 AM
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/apr/24/sdsu-basketball-tulane-transfer-josh-davis/

thespywhozaggedme
04-25-2013, 05:44 AM
Seems like we'd be the logical choice if he has aspirations of playing after college. Plus, the development of Kelly would be a huge sell, I would think.

Plus, what does Moser have to do with Davis? Wouln't they both replace Harris and Kelly, respectively?

They're both pf's. The author is totally SDSU biased though; he says we have "several other pf's". Who? JD has a gauranteed starting spot with a preseason top 20 team with us. SDSU loses everyone and will be lucky to be .500

thespywhozaggedme
04-25-2013, 05:45 AM
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/apr/24/sdsu-basketball-tulane-transfer-josh-davis/

Awesome find again, thanks

thespywhozaggedme
04-25-2013, 05:47 AM
I could be wrong but I believe Mike Moser is a Swing Forward and Josh Davis is a Power Forward.

Yup, with the arrival of the Canadian B's last year, Birch and Bennett, Moser was switched to sf and wasn't very good, unfortunately. JD and MM are both pf's.

jazzdelmar
04-25-2013, 05:48 AM
They're both pf's. The author is totally SDSU biased though; he says we have "several other pf's". Who? JD has a gauranteed starting spot with a preseason top 20 team with us. SDSU loses everyone and will be lucky to be .500

sdsu loses key players but they have several bigs who sat last last year, new transfers and frosh (matt shrigley a local kid is one)...and guys like winston sheppard, a 4 star who hasnt sparked yet. dont sleep on coach fish. actually that potential logjam at pf at state works in our favor. thats too logical though; its college recruiting after all.

thespywhozaggedme
04-25-2013, 05:48 AM
if GU gets Moser and Davis they both start of course....Dower sits and maybe even Karno w KP, GB and Coleman. Best players play. Or Coleman supplants Bell and Karno is at C.

How? They're both actually quite similar players.

thespywhozaggedme
04-25-2013, 05:49 AM
sdsu loses key players but they have several bigs who sat last last year, new transfers and frosh (matt shrigley a local kid is one)...and guys like winston sheppard, a 4 star who hasnt sparked yet. dont sleep on coach fish.

Okay, then let me rephrase that. SDSU has a lot of unrpoven talent.

jazzdelmar
04-25-2013, 06:07 AM
How? They're both actually quite similar players.

why not 2PFs and no center? lots of examples last year......esp without a proven pivot.

webspinnre
04-25-2013, 06:13 AM
why not 2PFs and no center? lots of examples last year......esp without a proven pivot.

Yep, nothing wrong with starting 2 PFs. Davis can be the "center" if needed, but the key is having 2 talented bigs, and then K and SD off the bench again would be killer. Still, I'll be happy if we get either one, both would just be a luxury.

cggonzaga
04-25-2013, 06:24 AM
I don't think Few guarantees anybody starting spots. Even if we got both I think Sam still gets the starting nod. I refuse to believe the staff won't reward Sam for being a program player and waiting his turn for 4 years. Yes he has to earn it and I think he will. That being said, both guys would be tremendous additions and would get plenty of playing time. Neither one is a 3 though.

jazzdelmar
04-25-2013, 06:27 AM
I don't think Few guarantees anybody starting spots. Even if we got both I think Sam still gets the starting nod. I refuse to believe the staff won't reward Sam for being a program player and waiting his turn for 4 years. Yes he has to earn it and I think he will. That being said, both guys would be tremendous additions and would get plenty of playing time. Neither one is a 3 though.

hmmm. i think pangos and bell had SOME assurance they wd start soon....

thespywhozaggedme
04-25-2013, 06:34 AM

I agree with 99% of your posts, but your obsession with Sammy is out there. He's a great role player that adds needed scoring punch off of the bench, but when you can aquire the top returning pf in the nation, you do it and don't think twice. Again, JD had SIX games of 15 rebounds or more last season, that's nuts. Did Sam have 15 rebounds all season?

cjm720
04-25-2013, 06:47 AM

what's a swing forward?

cjm720
04-25-2013, 06:49 AM
hmmm. i think pangos and bell had SOME assurance they wd start soon....

But they didn't...not until game 2 and 3 respectively as I recall.

Dower will start game 1, game 2 is in question...coach does reward players for loyalty.

jazzdelmar
04-25-2013, 06:52 AM
But they didn't...not until game 2 and 3 respectively as I recall.

Dower will start game 1, game 2 is in question...coach does reward players for loyalty.

thats just symbolism, isnt it? kinda silly, like starting edi for 3 mins then losing him in the crowd the rest of the game.

Zagcity
04-25-2013, 06:59 AM
thats just symbolism, isnt it? kinda silly, like starting edi for 3 mins then losing him in the crowd the rest of the game.

It's all about opportunity and what you do with. Sorry to say Edi blew several. :fingergun:

thespywhozaggedme
04-25-2013, 06:59 AM
what's a swing forward?

Can play sf or pf. They "swing" back and forth between the 3 (sf) and 4 (pf) spots

Worthington
04-25-2013, 07:11 AM
I don't see us landing both, and honestly I'd like to see Karnowski playing bigger minutes next season as I don't want to lose him and he has the highest ceiling of any of the players in question.

cjm720
04-25-2013, 07:11 AM

Sure is...Dower better be working hard. I think he'll suprise a lot of folks this year...just a hunch.

hooter73
04-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Getting both Davis and Moser would be getting direct replacements for KO and Harris. KO played as a center as needed but was almost (more) better up on the key of the elbow which is PF territory. Kind of splitting hairs but the two could both come in and have huge impacts here. The problem I see is #1 keeping karnoski even if Davis is only a one year player here (i dont think it'd be a problem but like with Dower, you can see the perceived slap in the face), and #2 minutes plated. KO did his thing in like less than 25 minutes played per game. Dont know if BOTH Davis and Moser would be willing to see only 20 per.

hooter73
04-25-2013, 07:15 AM
Sure is...Dower better be working hard. I think he'll surprise a lot of folks this year...just a hunch.

Sacre got all those starts his Soph season because of how hard he worked then never saw the floor again.

We've all been waiting for Dower to surprise a lot of us every year. Just dont see it happening which is really too bad. I love having what he brings off the bench but in the end i hope he doesn't begrudge his off the bench college career.

CDC84
04-25-2013, 08:04 AM
I raised a question in another thread and will raise it here again: is it possible for Davis to play the three so that he and Moser could theoretically start at the same time? I thought I read somewhere that Davis doesn't pack a lot of weight on his 6'8' frame. So, is Davis quick enough to play the three, or would he even want to?

Josh Davis actually weighs five pounds more than Mike Moser. He's 215, and Moser is 210. At least at the start of last season.

I don't see Davis playing SF at his next school because of two reasons:

1) He only took two three point shot attempts last year. Your SF needs to be able to shoot it from deep.

2) Davis is one of the best rebounders in the nation (10.7 RPG last year). His next coach is going to want him around the basket. Especially Coach Few, who has never had a double digit rebounder at Gonzaga since he's been the head coach. His weight is irrelevant.

I just don't see both Davis and Moser committing to Gonzaga. One or the other.

Mr Vulture
04-25-2013, 08:12 AM
I don't think both would commit to Gonzaga either, but I think they could play together if they did. It would be good for Moser's future to play the 4 and some 3. Davis would play the 4 and some 5. This isn't the NBA, you don't have to have a PG, SG, SF, PF, and C in the lineup. There are a lot of 3 guard lineups in college with average sized bigs, a good example of this would be Wichita State last year. They basically played with two power forwards, one of which could shoot a bit from the outside.

BobZag
04-25-2013, 08:57 AM
All we really need is one of Moser and Davis. Hopefully, it'll be the best one.

maynard g krebs
04-25-2013, 08:58 AM
If one of the two commits to GU before the other has decided, it's about 99.9% the other goes elsewhere. Each will want to play a major role their last year, and rightfully so. If I was either of these guys and wanted to go to GU, I'd request an assurance that my commitment meant they stop recruiting the other guy. Happens all the time.

titopoet
04-25-2013, 09:07 AM
All we really need is one of Moser and Davis. Hopefully, it'll be the best one.

That is my guess, and as soon as one sign the other moves on. Two keys, though. Both have to finish their degrees or its a no go. (Both still have credit to finish, so neither will be here for the Summer, but at their old schools.) And second, when they visit, they have to fit in with the rest of the guys. Chemistry is high with this group and if either guy messes with this, they are not worth it, but if both can fit in, then Next year team will be very good.

cggonzaga
04-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Sure is...Dower better be working hard. I think he'll suprise a lot of folks this year...just a hunch.

I wrote this in a post a while ago as to why I believe Sam finally becomes the man. Consider who he has played behind for the past 4 years. Sam was never given a chance at consistent minutes. Sam is a rythm player and needs those minutes to get into a rythm. If Sam is given 20 mpg I bet he puts up 13-14ppg and 5-6rpg.

I'm not saying I don't want Davis/Moser because I do. I'm just saying don't underestimate Sam.

mgadfly
04-25-2013, 09:21 AM
If we land one of the two we split 80 minutes at the C/PF spots between, New Guy + Karno + SD. So the new guy gets 26.5 mpg right out of the gate. And with Karno (conditioning?) and Dower (bad fouls) they may need to average 30 or 31 mpg.

That's starters minutes regardless of whether they are starting.

tlark420
04-25-2013, 10:11 AM
I wrote this in a post a while ago as to why I believe Sam finally becomes the man. Consider who he has played behind for the past 4 years. Sam was never given a chance at consistent minutes. Sam is a rythm player and needs those minutes to get into a rythm. If Sam is given 20 mpg I bet he puts up 13-14ppg and 5-6rpg.

I'm not saying I don't want Davis/Moser because I do. I'm just saying don't underestimate Sam.

I underestimate SAM ... NO D/rebounding and a 1 trick pony over his right shoulder (he can step out too) great bench instant offense guy

ridgebackzag
04-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Get this kid!

DixieZag
04-25-2013, 01:02 PM
That is my guess, and as soon as one sign the other moves on. Two keys, though. Both have to finish their degrees or its a no go. (Both still have credit to finish, so neither will be here for the Summer, but at their old schools.) And second, when they visit, they have to fit in with the rest of the guys. Chemistry is high with this group and if either guy messes with this, they are not worth it, but if both can fit in, then Next year team will be very good.

This is a great reminder. To be sure, first and foremost- we need a guy that can go up and get 10-12 rebounds a game.

But, I am a little worried about the chemistry thing. Obviously, if there is a big problem, it will be noticed by the players during the visit and no scholly will be offered.

It is the more subtle jabs at chemistry that I worry about. Just the fact that many guys spend 5 years building the program and he is coming in for one and wants the ball - - that might, might cause some problems. I suspect with the maturity of this team, any problem will be minor and there will be very few.

MTZag03
04-25-2013, 01:49 PM
I don't see us landing both, and honestly I'd like to see Karnowski playing bigger minutes next season as I don't want to lose him and he has the highest ceiling of any of the players in question.

^
This x 100. Karno needs to get it going. He thought he was a starter coming here and was pretty good the first 4 games. Then KO stole the show and Karno waited his turn. If he doesn't get some time next year I could see him transferring or playing international or even declaring for the draft. If we land 1 of these guys we're in a good position to get everyone the minutes they need without stepping on anyone's toes. And as others have alluded to, last years team's strength was chemistry, so I fear that getting both 1 and done PFs would upset that.

Unrelated hijacking of the post: Is Karno staying in Spokane to work on conditioning and skills or going to play in Poland?

Angelo Roncalli
04-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Unrelated hijacking of the post: Is Karno staying in Spokane to work on conditioning and skills or going to play in Poland?

Both. Quick trip home to Poland and return for first session of summer school. Then, back to Poland for training with the Polish national team. At least this is what he was planning two weeks ago.

BobZag
04-25-2013, 02:12 PM

He'll attend first session of summer school, which goes into June, then he'll head for Poland to play on their team. I hope Travis Knight is putting him through "boot camp" ala Olynyk, and I hope a coach is putting him through drills and more drills, coaching him up.

MDABE80
04-25-2013, 02:18 PM
We need twp bigs. zNo offense to anyone but Sam just isn't a frontliner. He's doing the same thing (with advanced skills) he did in HS. If GU really wants to step it up, we need two bigs. Karno is still a project.a very big project.
Seriously, I've been saying for yearas that a nice 6 10- 7 0 center is nice but to win win big games, all you need is a 6-8 or 6 9 athletes..at least in college, We get BOTH.....plus...............1. mum;)

MTZag03
04-25-2013, 05:27 PM
I gotta say Abe that your "mum" posts are making this offseason much more entertaining. I have faith in whatever you may be referencing!