PDA

View Full Version : Davis,Nunez?

1973Zag
04-24-2013, 05:47 AM
Questions for insiders.

Lots of talk about Moser, is Davis out.? Haven't seen an update/discussion lately. , and not much said about Nunez re: progress,potential,where he fits into next years picture. Any info for .

willandi
04-24-2013, 05:50 AM
Thought another thread mentioned that he had decided to go to Europe to play. Just a memory, so might be wrong. Try searching past threads for him!

NotoriousZ
04-24-2013, 06:24 AM
Thought another thread mentioned that he had decided to go to Europe to play. Just a memory, so might be wrong. Try searching past threads for him!

Yeah that's what was said about Davis. It's all Moser now.

I can't wait to see Nunez. I know he's not a 4, but maybe Kelly's transformation thing is contagious. :D

1973Zag
04-24-2013, 07:20 AM
Thnx Will, heard Europe was 'possible' but nothing confirmed. Would be nice if Nunez is our surprise this year, seems to be all wishing and hoping to this point.

CDC84
04-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Personally, I don't expect a great deal out of Nunez next season, but I have been wrong before. He won't be eligible until mid-December. Although he has some college basketball playing experience, he does not have much of it, and it usually takes mid-year transfers until February to get caught up to game speed and to have any sort of real comfort level out there unless they're a total stud. Gonzaga is going to be pretty deep again (assuming they add a PF like Moser), so he's not likely to play huge minutes at any point. I expect him to contribute, but his better years lie ahead.

It's clear that he has all the physical tools that you'd want: size, length, tremendous athleticism, soft shooting touch. There's a reason the staff brought him into the program. But there are other areas that he simply needs to get better at: defense, ballhandling, toughness, strength, willingness to embrace incidental contact, etc.

VinnyZag
04-24-2013, 07:37 AM
Goodman just tweeted this:

@GoodmanCBS
Been told by sources that San Diego State is in the mix, along with Gonzaga, for Tulane transfer Josh Davis.

Maybe Goodman's misinformed, or maybe Davis to Europe isn't a foregone conclusion.

hooter73
04-24-2013, 07:52 AM
I have higher hopes for Nunez than what I usually have for transfers. We saw Carter have to get acclimated, GLE had to sit nearly half the season like Nunez will, but the big difference is that he already comes from a D1 background. He came in during play this last year and got a solid feel for GU's play, but more over hes not coming from the JC ranks which time and again weve seen and heard how different it is than D1 team ball. He will be able to at least contribute more or quicker than most transfers in my estimation.

1973Zag
04-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Interesting. Would it be an "either/or" with Moser, or could we be looking for the home run? CD, i agree about Nunez, but he could sure catch a few WCC foes off guard second time around!

jazzdelmar
04-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Edi a C minus, Carter a C plus. Pretty low standard for Nunez to surpass.

229SintoZag
04-24-2013, 08:53 AM

Batista. Why am I not surprised you forgot JP? Didn't fit in to the point you wanted to make?

cggonzaga
04-24-2013, 10:25 AM
That only makes sense if Karno redshirts which would surprise me. I just refuse to believe Sam Dower won't be the man next year.

jazzdelmar
04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Batista. Why am I not surprised you forgot JP? Didn't fit in to the point you wanted to make?

i was citing Hooter73's post, wisearse.

hooter73
04-24-2013, 10:41 AM

Oh me, yeah I didnt catch that either lol. Batista had his slow start just like Carter, then went gangbusters... just like Carter (his first year). Im just saying I dont foresee the slow start from Nunez due to coming from D1 AND being involved in the program during play. Not dissing the others... this time:)

BobZag
04-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Still in it with Davis.

jazzdelmar
04-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Oh me, yeah I didnt catch that either. Batista had his slow start just like Carter, then went gangbusters... just like Carter. Im just saying I dont foresee the slow start from Nunez due to coming from D1 AND being involved in the program during play. Not dissing the others... this time:)

Hoots, not sure Carter was ever quite gangbusters, but he did have a very good 2nd half junior year....Edi never really got anywhere....JP was awesome.....dont mind, Sinto, he cant help himself.

BobZag
04-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Regarding Nunez, I'm most worried about his brain. Not sure if he'd be willing to get in there and bang when one knock on the head could have very negative concussive consequences. Just not sure he can overcome this.

NotoriousZ
04-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Still in it with Davis.

http://www.canadianreviewer.com/storage/BurnsExcellentSticker.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSI ON=1328013694661

Davis or Moser
...please.

Goshzagit
04-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Josh Davis is still looking, folks...apparently, he took himself "off the board" for nearly 2 weeks to discuss things with fam, friends, and the coaches around him.

He seriously considered going abroad to help alleviate some financial concerns he's hoping to address. Eligibility, in terms of graduating on time is also an issue right now. This, from all reports around this situation.

He visisted NC State, yet mostly as a "vacation" to visit old friends from his college and HS days. He's not considering the Wolfpack as a school to play his final season of eligibility.

He's honed in on the West Coast and Southwest US, for whatever reason.

He personally reached out to UCLA, yet coaching question marks and current players staying or going was a concern. San Diego St, 'Zona, the USC Trojans, and Gonzaga are on his radar.

He's taking his time, PLUS it's still no guarantee he graduates unless he takes care of business at school. Much like Moser, both need to work at graduating/qualifying by this Summer...last minute, if you will.

As of right now, he's looking So Cal, anywhere on the coast, and us, yet will need to wrap things up appropriately at Tulane, before he goes ANYWHERE.

The latter part applies to Moser at UNLV as well. Some graduates are available in Spring, yet from what I'm hearing, both student athletes have 10-16 credits still to go before they graduate....so.....take it fwiw.

1973Zag
04-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Huge difference between 10 and 16! Hope it's closer to 10.

RRZagFan
04-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Sounds as if SDSU wants Moser to have a good visit.

http://aztecmesa.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=recruiting&action=display&thread=31087

CDC84
04-24-2013, 02:27 PM

Carter you almost need separate grades for. One for his junior year, one for his senior year.

Edi was pretty much the same from beginning to end, although he started off this past season like a lightning rod.

VaBeachZAG
04-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Seems like most (if not all) are saying Davis OR Moser. I have heard some about Moser over the last couple of years, but absolutely nothing about Davis, other than what is on this board. With that qualifier in mind, I am just wondering why we couldn't make a solid case for both coming to GU. I assume Moser is locked in at the four. But, I am just wondering if Davis could possibly play the three, so that we could have both on the floor at the same time, with PK and SD as our fives? Again, I don't know if Davis could be effective at the three, or even if he would be interested playing at that spot, just wondering.

229SintoZag
04-24-2013, 03:48 PM

I freely admit I only skim these threads. I never let that stop me from picking on some of the old timers here, as I refuse to be one of the old cranks who lets facts get in the way of a good argument.

Carry on....

jazzdelmar
04-24-2013, 03:50 PM
I freely admit I only skim these threads. I never let that stop me from picking on some of the old timers here, as I refuse to be one of the old cranks who lets facts get in the way of a good argument.

Carry on....

Must be great to be you.

Zippyzaggy
04-24-2013, 04:25 PM
The 2014 6'4" PG Jadon Cohee from Vancouver seems to be blowing up. Maybe this is the wrong thread but I wonder why the staff is not all over him.

Seems like he was on the radar but has disappeared. Any info of this stud as to if the staff has any interest?

Google his name...he is tearing it up in Canada and the US.

GorgeZag
04-24-2013, 04:45 PM
The 2014 6'4" PG Jadon Cohee from Vancouver seems to be blowing up. Maybe this is the wrong thread but I wonder why the staff is not all over him.

Seems like he was on the radar but has disappeared. Any info of this stud as to if the staff has any interest?

Because he's too tall to be a guard for us.

sittingon50
04-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Not true, Gorge. We've got guys on here that have successfully shrunk Coleman; they can certainly do it to this kid too!

Pargo the Destroyer
04-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Not true, Gorge. We've got guys on here that have successfully shrunk Coleman; they can certainly do it to this kid too!

THERE'S NO WAY THIS KID IS 6'4"!!! :) I'll gladly accept the shot you took at me 50. No worries though. We're on the same team. Keep that in mind :). I'm more worried about the guys getting rebounds next year than the guys on the perimeter.

sittingon50
04-24-2013, 10:51 PM
No shot intended, Destroyer. Just tryin' to lighten things up.

:)

zag67
04-25-2013, 05:55 AM
Largo, me also. And I do appreciate your insight and info

hooter73
04-25-2013, 07:19 AM

Glad you said Canada. I was thinking Vancouver Wa and readily had an answer of why we werent looking at him... its too local. We dont look at local kids anymore... Brett Baily :)

Angelo Roncalli
04-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Glad you said Canada. I was thinking Vancouver Wa and readily had an answer of why we werent looking at him... its too local. We dont look at local kids anymore... Brett Baily :)

Brett Bailey. 3 star on Scout. 3 star on ESPN. ESPN scout grade of 71. San Diego appears to be the only school that offered. It doesn't look as if Idaho or WSU had any interest in him. He's a SF. We have 3 more years of Dranginis, 2 years of Coleman and 2.5 years of Nunez. What am I missing here?

Mr Vulture
04-25-2013, 08:04 AM
Bailey is not a small forward.

Brett Bailey. 3 star on Scout. 3 star on ESPN. ESPN scout grade of 71. San Diego appears to be the only school that offered. It doesn't look as ifat Idaho or WSU had any interest in him. He's a SF. We have 3 more years of Dranginis, 2 years of Coleman and 2.5 years of Nunez. What am I missing here?

BroncoZAG615
04-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Brett Bailey. 3 star on Scout. 3 star on ESPN. ESPN scout grade of 71. San Diego appears to be the only school that offered. It doesn't look as ifat Idaho or WSU had any interest in him. He's a SF. We have 3 more years of Dranginis, 2 years of Coleman and 2.5 years of Nunez. What am I missing here?

With all the hype around Bailey, I'm starting to think he might be a one-and-done player and go #1 in the NBA Draft next year. Andrew Wiggins will likely go 3rd overall because Calvin Hermanson will go #2.

Zagdawg
04-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Bailey had his reasons for committing early--2011 after his sophomore season.

“I’ve done my due diligence,” said Bailey’s father, Kevin. “We talked to some incoming recruits about what their reservations were. We talked to the athletic director, Ky Snyder. No one can 100 percent predict the future, but it appears to be an isolated incident. We wouldn’t have committed this early if we felt it was an issue.”

Part of the draw to USD is Southern California, where Bailey has lived two different times in his life and where his older brother, Kyle, plays basketball for BIOLA. His father said Gonzaga, Washington State and Stanford also showed interest.

“They’ve been recruiting him for the better part of the year, and they made it clear they really wanted him,” Kevin Bailey said. “They wanted to make him the anchor of the 2013 recruiting class. We kind of figured, why wait?”

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/jul/08/usd-basketball-gets-commitment-2013/

maynard g krebs
04-25-2013, 09:04 AM

Watching Bailey at the state tourney his jr year, it didn't even cross my mind that he's a guy GU would recruit. As Spokane guys go, I thought Sarbaugh was a better player by a good margin.

hooter73
04-25-2013, 10:31 AM
lol the Bailey thing was a joke. You guys sure are defensive and keyed up these days :cheers: