PDA

View Full Version : Vince Grippi on Kelly's declaration

ID ZAGFAN
04-21-2013, 11:38 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/apr/21/memories-of-game-changer/

(go to Saturday:)

It was an announcement everyone expected but most Gonzaga fans hoped wouldn’t happen. Kelly Olynyk is bypassing his senior year of eligibility and heading to the NBA. But guess what? The system worked.

If you have a college degree, stop for a second and think why you decided to earn it. Yep, I’m sure most of you silently said, “To get a great job.” College is for more than just prospective employment, sure, but it is the foundation upon which most of us built our future. And if there is a better example of a college basketball player building his future in his four years at a school than Olynyk, I don’t know who it would be.

And there’s a number in that sentence that is important. Olynyk has spent four years at Gonzaga, has earned a degree and is ready to enter the workforce, although the workforce of choice, for him, looked to be a long shot a year ago. Think back 12 months. Did many of us believe the best player on Gonzaga’s team in 2012-13 would be Olynyk?

Good for him. And good for Gonzaga. Olynyk’s transformation wouldn’t have happened at every school. For one thing, few college coaches would redshirt a 7-footer who had been more than serviceable for two years. Yes, GU had options, but there were a handful of games during Olynyk’s redshirt season the Zags and Mark Few had to bite the bullet, because they could have used another big behind Robert Sacre, Elias Harris and Sam Dower. But that big was in a suit at the end of the bench. And it takes a well-tuned program to identify a player’s weaknesses and build a redshirt-year program that gives him an opportunity to correct them.

Plus, the player has to be willing to deal with a year out of the spotlight. Thanks to the confluence of all those things, the next time we see Olynyk on TV, he will be in a suit again. A pretty handsome one, I’m sure. And he’ll be walking up some steps en route to shaking David Stern’s hand. Good for him.

More at the link.

ZaGranny

kitzbuel
04-21-2013, 12:20 PM
I find it ironic that with all the very good guards we have had at GU, it is our bigs the stick in the NBA the best.

Pleasant Peninsula
04-21-2013, 12:35 PM
I find it ironic that with all the very good guards we have had at GU, it is our bigs the stick in the NBA the best.

There has been exactly one Gonzaga big that has stuck in the NBA (Turiaf). Which I suppose makes you correct, since none of the G/F post-Stockton have had much NBA staying power.

Malastein
04-21-2013, 01:29 PM
There has been exactly one Gonzaga big that has stuck in the NBA (Turiaf). Which I suppose makes you correct, since none of the G/F post-Stockton have had much NBA staying power.

Austin Daye isn't quite done. I'll bet he has a 10 year career, and could possibly be a starter at some point. He needs to get in the right system. He should beg Miami to sign him, since his skill set would do well there. And he'd benefit from the strength of the organization.

jazzdelmar
04-21-2013, 02:20 PM

GU hasn't exactly been Guard U in a very very long time.

229SintoZag
04-22-2013, 08:02 AM

Remind me again which of our bigs stuck in the NBA longer than Stockton?

cjm720
04-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Good write-up, thanks for posting. And best of luck to Kelly...can't wait to see the Olynyk Clinic...maybe as a Supersonic in Seattle!