PDA

View Full Version : Do the Zags need to be revamped?

combatcorpsmangulaw
04-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Now that KO, Elias and Hart are gone, should the Zags change style? I would like to see more speed and taller guards. I think Pangos is awesome. I think David is too small as a Division 1 guard and not outstanding from the 3-point line which is sorely missing imo.

We have some size but not enough speed in the Paint. KO was an incredible talent as a 7 footer. Karnowski is young and will be good. I'm not so sure about his quickness as a Center. Dower is a fantastic shooter but sometimes it seems as though the game is too fast for him. Don't misunderstand, I like Sam and think he's a good player as a Power Forward rather than a Center.

I feel as though the Zags have a lot to do in order to move deeper into the NCAA Tournament.

bartruff1
04-21-2013, 09:47 AM
They get revamped every season....several times...

MDABE80
04-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Lots depends on personnel. Few and staff have proven amazing in how they work with the talent they have..........but they seem to know the strengths and shortcomings and yet, figure out a way to win. Every year it's different.

willandi
04-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Too bad the Lakers made the playoffs. We could have replaced the current team with them!

The Zags are revamped completely every 5 years, with smaller changes every year and even smaller ones during the year, as players move ahead or behind team mates, suffer injuries etc.

Every team in the country wants a 6'6" PG that scores 30 a night, with 15 assists and 10 rebounds. It isn't as if Gonzaga can just take their pick. The coaching staff does a remarkable job finding players that other teams may have overlooked, or convince players that being a Zag, and the national stage, plus TV every game, is somehow better than being a west coast school that doesn't. The NCAA every year is a bonus.
Sure it would be nice to go farther in the tournament, every team that makes it to the dance has the same idea. The Coaching staff also would like that, and IMHO is moving in that direction.

jazzdelmar
04-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Sure it would be nice to go farther in the tournament, every team that makes it to the dance has the same idea. The Coaching staff also would like that, and IMHO is moving in that direction.

Advancing in the opposite direction?

maynard g krebs
04-21-2013, 10:53 AM
I didn't even know the Zags had been vamped in the first place.

demian
04-21-2013, 11:53 AM
To the Original Poster = Be prepared for a bunch of sarcastic responses to your question

bartruff1
04-21-2013, 12:42 PM
I think the problem is the WCC.

cjm720
04-21-2013, 01:12 PM
reload...

TravelinZag
04-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Revamped for when may be the tough question. The mysteries of who's coaching where, and who's staying in school vs. leaving for the NBA are essentially over. Class of '13 uncommitted players, JUCOs, and transfers are about out of excuses for not knowing where they want to play ball next year. (Understand international players take longer to decide, but don't know why, since even more paper work is involved).

The coaches should have a fix on next year's roster within two weeks. How to manage that talent? Is the primary consideration to maximize success in the 2013-14 season? Or is it to develop the team for 2-3 years to come, even if that means sacrificing a few wins next year (and putting some streaks in jeopardy)?

Some will say we can have it all; usually, choices need be made. Multiple redshirts are arguably warranted. KO showed us the potential benefits. ABSENT THE ADDITION OF ONE OR TWO IMPACT PLAYERS for next year, I hope the coaches manage the talent for the long run. Even then, we might get an at-large dance ticket (GU IS in the WCC) and an early exit. If not, with our horizon extended more than six months, we can anticipate 2014-15 with real excitement.

kclubfounder
04-21-2013, 03:28 PM
I feel as though the Zags have a lot to do in order to move deeper into the NCAA Tournament.

I agree. They have a LOT to do. They have a full year of work.

However, if you think they should change the system which is in place in any kind of dramatic way then I think you are wrong.

I was going to use much more harsh language in expressing what I think about your opinion (if you think the system needs dramatic change), but I'm trying to be gentler to those whose opinions I think are wrong. Wrong I say, not insane or stupid or idiotic like I WANT to say. :D

kclubfounder
04-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Demian, how do you like me now?

sittingon50
04-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Tacos.

gamagin
04-21-2013, 04:38 PM
shortage when I was there. fwiw.

combatcorpsmangulaw
04-21-2013, 06:04 PM

However, if you think they should change the system which is in place in any kind of dramatic way then I think you are wrong.

I was going to use much more harsh language in expressing what I think about your opinion (if you think the system needs dramatic change), but I'm trying to be gentler to those whose opinions I think are wrong. Wrong I say, not insane or stupid or idiotic like I WANT to say. :D

I don't recall insulting anyone on this board at any time. Say what you want including the thinly-veiled insults that you didn't have the balls to state w/o disclaimers.

DixieZag
04-21-2013, 06:09 PM
We have big time cap problems that will be a real hinderance to much movement.

The UW, Kentucky, all MWC teams have a lot more space and flexibility to pick up talented young players.

We need a better capologist to figure out different ways to stretch zero.

kclubfounder
04-21-2013, 07:25 PM
I don't recall insulting anyone on this board at any time. Say what you want including the thinly-veiled insults that you didn't have the balls to state w/o disclaimers.

If you think the program needs a major overhaul then I think you need your head examined.

Better?

kclubfounder
04-21-2013, 07:32 PM

And by the way, you have made your fair share of inflammatory and rather obnoxious statements out of the 1st 120 or so comments.

You aren't the saint you think you are.

TexasZagFan
04-22-2013, 04:54 AM
To the Original Poster = Be prepared for a bunch of sarcastic responses to your question

Pithy...I like that. :lmao:

TexasZagFan
04-22-2013, 04:57 AM
And by the way, you have made your fair share of inflammatory and rather obnoxious statements out of the 1st 120 or so comments.

"Saint" and "GU Law" are mutually exclusive terms. ;)

LongIslandZagFan
04-22-2013, 06:26 AM
Did someone say tacos?

DixieZag
04-22-2013, 06:34 AM
Did someone say tacos?

Please get with the program, the concern is that we are setttling for tacos when some teams are having carne asada.

Apologist.

Zagcity
04-22-2013, 07:00 AM
reload...

And that they will! :drool:

combatcorpsmangulaw
04-22-2013, 07:11 AM

If you consider comments about any basketball team 'inflammatory' and 'rather obnoxious' - you're definitely a Moron.

Now, that's obnoxious and inflammatory -- you're an idiot.

LongIslandZagFan
04-22-2013, 07:14 AM
Please get with the program, the concern is that we are setttling for tacos when some teams are having carne asada.

Apologist.

Did someone say Carne Asada?

http://www.miamigos.com/assets/images/seasonal2012/CarneAsada.jpg

LongIslandZagFan
04-22-2013, 07:17 AM
If you consider comments about any basketball team 'inflammatory' and 'rather obnoxious' - you're definitely a Moron.

Now, that's obnoxious and inflammatory -- you're an idiot.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxqlT2OM9RtKL60nxvkeHPdUO8Vapf1 N8tFX_zFC0oLwNBWv4e

demian
04-22-2013, 07:43 AM
Demian, how do you like me now?

Haha that is awesome kcclubfounder. That brought me a good chuckle this morning

DixieZag
04-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Did someone say Carne Asada?

http://www.miamigos.com/assets/images/seasonal2012/CarneAsada.jpg

That is really not fair, putting a big picture like that in front of a guy at 9:00 am on a Monday morning - about as far away from a helping of carne asada as one can get.

Kind of like demanding that we get a 6'6 pt guard with the speed of Iverson - why don't we just get one of those? Why can't I have carne asada at 9:00am on a Monday morning!!!!!

titopoet
04-22-2013, 11:39 AM
That is really not fair, putting a big picture like that in front of a guy at 9:00 am on a Monday morning - about as far away from a helping of carne asada as one can get.

Kind of like demanding that we get a 6'6 pt guard with the speed of Iverson - why don't we just get one of those? Why can't I have carne asada at 9:00am on a Monday morning!!!!!
ˇhíjole! Viva los tacos

http://safe-img01.olx.com.mx/ui/1/70/03/11456703_1.jpg

JPtheBeasta
04-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Few has adapted his approach to different personnel in the past, but this time I think he'll just get tacos.