PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Hoopers of alltime---

kdoggy
08-15-2007, 09:14 PM
rank your personal faves---

Steve Nash--- His game is filthy. That's what my teenage cousin tells me anyways.

Larry-- the complete package. Total gamer.

Magic-- the consumate leader and winner

Stockton-- Skillz aside the thing I liked best about him is that he was one tough dude.

Isiah-- Moronic GM and Coach but an absolute wizard on the court

I suppose what I like about all these guys is that they could pass the basketball. I love a sweet pass. Noticeably absent is Jordo. Total Ballhog, his favorable treatment from the refs bordered on the absurd and he was always played the teams I liked in the championchips. I think Kobe is a better player anyways.

RenoZag
08-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Oscar Robertson
Kareem
Magic
Bird
Rick Barry

kdoggy
08-15-2007, 09:36 PM
you must be say 10-20 my senior. That could be my dads list.

My dad always said Barry got a bad rap with the granny shot. He was a helluva baller and huge jerk apprently. He was a little beforre my time.

RenoZag
08-15-2007, 09:47 PM
10 - 20 years ?? Sheesh, I ain't Methuselah, Kdoggy. . .those were guys I read about in the history books ;)

I was in high school when the A's / Warriors / Raiders had their great run of teams in the early Seventies. . .Rick Barry could never get an NBA coaching job because of his lack of tact and diplomacy, and yes, by most accounts he was an arrogant egotist. He had been hosting a radio show on KNBR-680 in San Francisco but I'm not sure that's on going.

Rick Barry, Al Attles, Nate Thurmond, and Keith -- later known as Jamaal-- Wilkes beat Wes Unseld & the rest of the Bullets' fannies that year.

The A's and Raiders were the teams of my youth and I'm glad I was able to enjoy their championships before I got too jaded about professional sports. . .once MLB cancelled the 1994 World Series over a labor dispute, I swore I would never set foot in a MLB park again. . .screw 'em. I hope the whole damn sport has to declare Chapter 11.

The NBA is boring as hell and the NFL is something to pass the time while waiting for college hoops to kick in to high gear.

Rubbadub
08-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Last 25 years
Magic
Jordan
Bird
Barkley
Shaq

Before that
West
Robertson
Dr. J
Russell
Chamberlin

CDC84
08-16-2007, 08:57 AM
For me, Air Jordan is in a class by himself. Probably my favorite athlete of all time in any sport. Can't say I agree with the assessment that he was a ballhog. Ballhogs don't win 6 NBA championships. They become destructive forces to their team. When I think ballhog, I think Allen Iverson. MJ made his teammates better - as much as a wing player in the NBA can do this. Nearly every player that ever played with Michael was never the same player once they left Chicago. He also wasn't just an offensive player....he was also the best perimeter defender of his era. Did he take the most shots? Yes, by far....he should have with his shooting percentage.

Some of my other favorites:

Magic Johnson
James Worthy
Julius Irving
Tim Duncan
Bill Russell

Player that I liked watching but also disliked with a passion (the guilty pleasure player):

Dennis Rodman

While in college primarily (non-Zags):

Juan Dixon
Danny Manning
Stacey Augmon
Larry Johnson
Earl Watson
Jacque Vaughn
Sean Elliott
Chris Mullen
Bill Walton
Emeka Okafor
Mateen Cleaves

I am probably forgetting some people........

wazZag
08-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Jordan
Wilt
Kareem
Robertson
Larry

LongIslandZagFan
08-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Jordan
Wilt
Kareem
Magic
Larry

kdoggy
08-16-2007, 10:46 PM
The thing I give him the most credit for is playing with a pretty mediocre string of guys. Larry had the Chief, DJ, McHale, not to mention guys like Ainge, Walton. Magic had kareem and Worthy.

Pippen had an outstanding career is a certain hall of famer adn its soemtimes forgot that he had a MVP Type year and took the Bulls to Game 7 of Eastern Conference finals and lost on a controversial call...without Jordan. So sometimes selling the Bulls guys short isn't entirely accurate.

Where I thought Jordan was in a class by himself was the favoritism from officials. It got so ridiculous at times and the bigger the game the bigger the factor this was. It was always followed by an announcer saying, "you just aren't gonna get tht call against Jordan"

The most overratted/underrated guy was Rodman. I soometimes thought he was both. I thought much of the reason he got so many boards is that he wasn't part of anyones offense so he could just face up and attack the glass. Most power forward were fighting for poistion in the post on offense. But he had a tremendous motor. played great d, and had some serious court savvy.

Oh favorite college player with a mid to late 80s feel...

1) Patrick Ewing
2) Kenny Walker
3) David Rivers
4) Scott Skiles
5) Chris Jackson (Mahmoud Abdul Rauf)
4)

RenoZag
08-17-2007, 04:15 AM
you must be say 10-20 my senior. That could be my dads list.

My dad always said Barry got a bad rap with the granny shot. He was a helluva baller and huge jerk apprently. He was a little beforre my time.

14 years diff, to be precise. . .now excuse me while I polish my rocking chair.

former1dog
08-17-2007, 08:25 AM
I loved watching Jordan play and he is one of my all time favorites. I'm not convinced he is the greatest player of all time, though.

Magic might be slightly ahead of him, IMO. I think if Bird had not had the back problems he had, he might be ahead of Jordan (and Magic)as well.

Wilt was probably the most amazing athlete to ever play the game and he was from most accounts a higly intelligent player as well, as he was able to adapt his game as his career went along.

How could anyone in good conscious leave Bill Russell of an all time team. Even though the league was much smaller, results do speak for themselves and he did have to beat Wilt year after year after year to achieve those results.

And, ya gotta love Stocton as the all time best pure point guard.

HillBillyZag
08-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Bob Cousey, Jerry West, Pete Maravich, Bill Russell,Micheal Jordan.

Zag79
08-18-2007, 03:08 PM
magic, bird, jordan (LOL that he was a ballhog and not in a posters top 5),kobe and yes, lebron james. he will be anyway but i thought i might throw him in early. LOL.