PDA

View Full Version : Olynyk's transformation: a selling point for future recruits

CDC84
04-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Kelly Olynyk deserves most of the credit for his transformation from role player to likely NBA lottery pick, but the Gonzaga coaches and other staff members played a huge part in his development.

Rarely has a player changed so much in one year.

Although part of me is sad to see Kelly go pro, the silver lining is that his transformation is something that the coaches can really sell to future recruits. Especially to frontcourt players, who so often are the slowest guys to develop. Olynyk's development really demonstrates what this staff can do with a player who loves the game and wants to get better.

Zag365
04-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Kelly Olynyk deserves most of the credit for his transformation from role player to likely NBA lottery pick, but the Gonzaga coaches and other staff members played a huge part in his development.

Rarely has a player changed so much in one year.

Although part of me is sad to see Kelly go pro, the silver lining is that his transformation is something that the coaches can really sell to future recruits. Especially to frontcourt players, who so often are the slowest guys to develop. Olynyk's development really demonstrates what this staff can do with a player who loves the game and wants to get better.

This is a win-win for KO and for the Gonzaga program. The elite players that the Zags attract and hope to attract want to feel confident that the GU program will prepare them and make them competitive for the NBA draft. KO proves that is the case. His success this year underscores the credibility of the GU coaches evaluation of the individual player's best interest as well as a credit to Kelly for taking the advice to red-shirt and work on his game.

Kelly leaves at exactly the right time for himself AND the GU program. His development is a credit to all. If he stayed another year and he or the team didn't achieve the skyhigh expectations that would be set or if he stayed and got injured, his judgment and the coaches judgment would be endlessly second-guessed. Best that Kelly pursue the NBA now. If he continues to develop at the pro level, the story for him and for GU basketball will only get better.

ZagNative
04-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Kelly just tweeted this picture. Come to Gonzaga, and they'll turn you into an angry bruiser!

http://distilleryimage11.ak.instagram.com/bc1427e2a95111e2b22b22000a1f96e2_7.jpg

gamagin
04-19-2013, 06:58 PM
needs more toughening . . . he's smirking instead of menacing like KO & EH.

Zippyzaggy
04-19-2013, 08:00 PM
needs more toughening . . . he's smirking instead of menacing like KO & EH.

SD looks like he's tickling himself. Lord help us!

jazzdelmar
04-20-2013, 04:31 AM
I see KOs development as a one off. Unless Karno replicates it I don't see how recruits can be beguiled by KOs development. As well, it took four years of hard work to get to where Kelly is now, not too many high school kids get turned on by that daunting challenge, especially four star hoops players with unfounded NBA aspirations. It might be helpful selling two and three star projects, which seems to be GUs strong suit this year.

Zagdawg
04-20-2013, 07:32 AM
So says the negative nelly.... as usual.

:vomit-smiley-007:

GorgeZag
04-20-2013, 10:22 AM
I think most on here can agree that Olynyks transformation is a unique situation. We just haven't had a player make that big of a jump in that period of time. It seems that most of our post player would have a breakout game early in their careers and then we would be waiting for them to consistently produce like that game, and then wait for them to excel beyond that.
Most of those guys never end up excelling beyond that. Some have suffered because of injury, some become more well rounded players but the two popular stats, scoring and rebounding never increase substantially. Some regress. Some transfer.
Fair or not, if you showed a casual observer the game tape of that post players breakout game early in their career, and game tape of their final season, most would say that there wasn't a huge difference. Olynyk is a huge exception.

GorgeZag
04-20-2013, 10:33 AM
So says the negative nelly.... as usual.

:vomit-smiley-007:

Um... jazz is right. Most four star level talent wouldn't dream of redshirting. Unless they get injured you just won't see too many doing it, and some do need it.
Hopefully our two new bigs get the opportunity to redshirt at some point in their careers here.

CDC84
04-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Look, I don't care if a kid like him comes around once every couple of hundred years, you use it aggressively in your recruiting endeavors. It's going to have a positive effect at some point down the line.

jazzdelmar
04-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Look, I don't care if a kid like him comes around once every couple of hundred years, you use it aggressively in your recruiting endeavors. It's going to have a positive effect at some point down the line.

No argument there.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Next fall, there could be three former GU centers playing in the NBA, including the starters from the previous two seasons. That seems like a nice selling point for big men too.

Zippyzaggy
04-20-2013, 11:08 AM

Seems like I remember reading how Kelly spent a lot of time up in Canada during the off season working with professional Canadian coaches. Are we giving the Zag coaches a bit too much credit for Kelly's remarkable transformation over the summer? Not to rain on the parade here but he didn't do much transforming his first two years around GU.

Zippyzaggy
04-20-2013, 11:13 AM
I see KOs development as a one off. Unless Karno replicates it I don't see how recruits can be beguiled by KOs development.

Bingo! Just ask Sammy D how much a redshirt can improve ones stock. Oh right, it didnt' work for him.

Perhaps shipping him up to Canada for some coaching, like KO, might help this offseason? Just me thinking (not much) out loud.

krozman
04-20-2013, 11:20 AM
I think that GU player development is truly better than many programs. Romar in UW seems to get amazing talent that goes nowhere, for example. Mark Few seems to bring the best out in everyone, if possible.

gamagin
04-20-2013, 11:43 AM
fitness and longevity. And a good portion of the KO transformation is due to this well developed, tried and true program. the difference is how much any particular athlete is willing to devote himself to it.

I credit the relationship(s) between John Stockton, the trainers, and Few et al, but this goes back to the Dan Fitzgerald era, too, when JS was trying to keep his job with the Jazz.

JS spent his summers in the GU gym, working with Fitz and everyone else Fitz could recruit, researching a fitness program with Jazz officials and trainers and essentially developed the beginnings of what has evolved at GU.

JS's workouts were legendary. Here is an older article that barely touches the surface. But I was told by his dad (Jack) within a year or so of his turning pro that no one prepared longer and harder for each game, each phase of his game and then took incredibly good care of himself in numerous routines that persisted with him from the early days until he retired. He missed 22 games total in his career. He retired at 40-41. He could have played on. Unheard of.

A bulk of that tiny amount of missed time was caused when Michael jordan ran a knee into his leg while trying to get around him. The knee broke one of JS' smaller bones. Even at that he was back in about 10 days. No limp. No excuses. No talking about it even, which is another thing that has rubbed off on this GU team. If you play, you have no excuses. If you are hurt, don't play. period.

Here's the article. Note it mentions working out with "his friend" the trainer at GU. That continues to this day. Few and a few other coaches, plus athletes, ex players and a small number of other friends, which used to include JS's dad, Jack, still work out, each with his own regimen, to this day.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2002-10-28-vets-workouts_x.htm

Zagdawg
04-20-2013, 02:03 PM
The speed that the change occured with Kelly is unique-- the fact that the Zag program was part of the equation is not as surprising.

I'm thinking that Hart made pretty good progress through his career at Gonzaga also.

Is it luck that these guys are developing into the players they are-- (Hart did not get coaching from any Canadian coaches).

Walk on to defensive player of the year in the WCC and a starter on the #1 team in the nation.

To reach a players potential....the player has to want it and be willing to put in the time and effort-- and the coaching staff has to provide them the tools to get there.

Kelly had the motivation and put in the work-- the staff provided him the tools -- it definitely came together nicely and it can be used to sell the Zags to recruits.

I hope that these developmental "anomalies" will continue for the sake of the program-- because if they don't the Zags will just fade into a middle of the pack WCC team. (Yes that is sarcasm).

Go Zags.

Zagquette
04-21-2013, 11:13 AM
I see KOs development as a one off.

Really? I see it as the best example of some pretty remarkable player development of some pretty "rough" diamonds in the rough:

i.e.:

Sacre, Turiaf, Morrison (top level)

not to mention our walk-ons and transfers

Bankhead, Hart, Stockton, J., Downs,

Not sure those players they would have developed into the players they were at the end of their careers if it wasn't for the keen eye and commitment of the staff.

I don't think KO was a one off.

PEACE

jazzdelmar
04-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Really? I see it as the best example of some pretty remarkable player development of some pretty "rough" diamonds in the rough:

i.e.:

Sacre, Turiaf, Morrison (top level)

not to mention our walk-ons and transfers

Bankhead, Hart, Stockton, J., Downs,

Not sure those players they would have developed into the players they were at the end of their careers if it wasn't for the keen eye and commitment of the staff.

I don't think KO was a one off.

PEACE

Really bad examples. Downs was a McDonalds All Amerian recruited by arguably the best CBB program in the country. Stocks is the son of a HOFer who may have something to do with whatever development DS shows. Still, he's not a D1 contributor, IMO. Banks and Hart are wonderful stories, fan favorites, but neither became anything more than chorus boys. On the bigs you make some good points. Ammo, again, was a one off phenomenon. I will stipulate that Ronny and Rob benefitted from good tutelage at GU.