PDA

View Full Version : Olynyk Press Conference at 3:00 pm

ZagNative
04-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Per a Jim Meehan tweet, KO will have a press conference at 3:00 pm.

i wonder if it will be televised aand/or streamed live. Maybe SWX, Cable 115, or KREM 2, which sometimes carries live streams of press conferences.

GOZags is also carrying a statement (http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&ATCLID=207326244) on KO's departure.
“I love this place, I love my teammates, but the NBA has been a dream of mine since I was a little kid so it was something I had to act on,” he said. “It’s your dream. That’s the highest level and everyone wants to play at the highest level. It will be a journey, but I think it will be a fun one. You have to make sure you are ready to go and you are ready to play. You’re just moving on and you don’t know what’s going to happen up there.”

Olynyk said he has no indication when his name might be called June 27 at the NBA Draft.

“Depending who you talk to the numbers slide one way or the other. No one can really tell until draft night,” he said of his status.Mods: Move this to the other thread if you prefer, but I just wanted to make sure people had advance notice of the press conference in less than an hour.

ZagNative
04-19-2013, 01:41 PM
From twitter, KREM 2 will be live-streaming the press conference.

Darnay Tripp ‏@DarnayTripp 3m

We will be streaming Kelly Olynyk's press conference live on http://krem.com

. It's scheduled to start at 3

LynetteG
04-19-2013, 01:56 PM
call me dumb, but I can never find the streaming link on their website! help!

ZagNative
04-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Lynette, I think the link only appears at the start of the press conference. At least I hope so!.

gamagin
04-19-2013, 02:03 PM
now

gamagin
04-19-2013, 02:14 PM
• he said he decided last night. Today is his birthday

• said the decision was complete when he phoned MF last night

• Said he talked individually with most of his team mates and got a lot of support in return

• was very gracious and thankful for teammates, coaches, family and fans

• said toronto (where he spent his first 14 years) has been his favorite team

• there was talk about the Jazz being interested, but it was just talk (SWX announcer, I think it was). BUT you can't overlook the possible JS connection there. The man is a god in SLC.

• said he won't have time to finish his masters in accounting this semester. said it's going to a backburner until the basketball matter is worked out.

That's about it

MDABE80
04-19-2013, 02:21 PM
No spots guaranteed........no money on the table...........As Mark said " I just hope he's happy and at peace with his decision"............

jazzdelmar
04-19-2013, 02:28 PM
No spots guaranteed........no money on the table...........As Mark said " I just hope he's happy and at peace with his decision"............

Passed on a chance to do something truly historical and memorable to become just another, though well paid, piece of NBA chattel. At best. Great kid, wish him well.

ZAGGED OUT
04-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Passed on a chance to do something truly historical and memorable to become just another, though well paid, piece of NBA chattel. At best. Great kid, wish him well.

He did plenty of things this year that were both historical and memorable. Everyone knew he was NBA bound, and rightfully so. Kid is a great ball player and deserves to be paid for it.

former1dog
04-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Not many people in this world have the legitimate chance to set themselves and several generations of their families up for life (if they manage all those $millions correctly), especially doing what you love for a living.

More power to him. He finished his degree, became an All American and an Academic All American. He brought a lot of positive attention to himself and to his school. He has rightfully and gracefully thanked all those who have helped him. He's a great Zag!

jazzdelmar
04-19-2013, 03:03 PM
He did plenty of things this year that were both historical and memorable. Everyone knew he was NBA bound, and rightfully so. Kid is a great ball player and deserves to be paid for it.

No argument. Magical year. But next year as prohibitive Wooden winner, shot at top 5 ranking, would have been Camelot. He would become an icon to future college players with respect to enjoying the full experience yet still cashing in eventually. Jmo.

Hoopaholic
04-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Been busy so missed it...did he sign with agent?

gamagin
04-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Been busy so missed it...did he sign with agent?

said not yet, just decided and dealing with that.

MDABE80
04-19-2013, 03:25 PM
I'd rethink this is he doesn't have something in place. Just my opinion.
He deserves better. He could get better too.
If this old style uncertainty awaits him.....he'd best be reviewing his decision ..I know I would.

The last thing I'd do right now is hire an agent...not till he must.

jazzdelmar
04-19-2013, 03:29 PM
I'd rethink this is he doesn't have something in place. Just my opinion.
He deserves better. He could get better too.
If this old style uncertainty awaits him.....he'd best be reviewing his decision ..I know I would.

The last thing I'd do right now is hire an agent...not till he must.

Agree Doc. Without getting too lyrical, how do you put a dollar value on one more magical year in the gonzaga experience? The dreary, enervating NBA will always be there for him. Jmo.

ZAGGED OUT
04-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Agree Doc. Without getting too lyrical, how do you put a dollar value on one more magical year in the gonzaga experience? The dreary, enervating NBA will always be there for him. Jmo.

I think you guys are being a bit sour about his decision. After all, it is his decision and with how much he did for us and the program, we should respect it no matter what it is. He's a guaranteed first rounder, probable lottery pick after he works out for teams. Look at what his game did with college coaching programs through one season. I think his game will continue to take exponential leaps with NBA coaching and strength programs.

johno
04-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Not that I think this will happen, but is this revocable?

ZagNative
04-19-2013, 03:43 PM
KXLY Video of the press conference (http://video.kxly.com/watch.php?id=34142). Repping the Zags very well.

PS: GUBulldogs (http://youtu.be/6WJiSwbiHoY) just posted a video of the presser as well.

MDABE80
04-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Jazz gots his tongue in his cheek. I dont.

Nobody's being sour. I think most of us want the very best for Kelly.........His dad said he would be a top 14 pick or they'd huddle up again. I thought he'd have a deal in hand too. The tenor of this sounds like the old days..............no certainty just go out and see if they like ya. He deserves better.

ZAGGED OUT
04-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Jazz gots his tongue in his cheek. I dont.

Nobody's being sour. I think most of us want the very best for Kelly.........His dad said he would be a top 14 pick or they'd huddle up again. I thought he'd have a deal in hand too. The tenor of this sounds like the old days..............no certainty just go out and see if they like ya. He deserves better.

How would he have a deal in hand if he hadn't even declared yet? NBA teams now call undeclared Juniors and offer them deals before even working them out?

KStyles
04-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Not that I think this will happen, but is this revocable?

I believe the decision becomes irreversible once he actually submits his paperwork to the league. At that point, I believe he'd be ruled ineligible by the NCAA as he'd be declared for the NBA draft past the NCAA's April 16th deadline.

DCZag
04-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Sounds like what we all want for our kids - graduate from college and get a good job that you want to do. Doesn't hurt that he'll have the opportunity to be set up for life if he exercises a little judgment with the $$.

I say congrats and thanks for all he's done.

CDC84
04-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Doesn't hurt that he'll have the opportunity to be set up for life if he exercises a little judgment with the $$.

Needless to say, his educational background in accounting/finance will serve him well in this area.

ZagNative
04-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Another post from Jim Meehan (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2013/apr/19/olynyk-leaving-gonzaga-nba/).
Gonzaga’s Kelly Olynyk sought advice from a “plethora of people,” from family to coaches to ex-Zag Adam Morrison to NBA guard and fellow Canadian Steve Nash.

Olynyk made pro-con lists, at his mother’s urging. The 7-foot junior from Kamloops, B.C., ultimately reached information overload.

“Everyone kind of gives you their pitch and spiel,” he said. “It’s funny because every conversation ends with, ‘But it’s your decision, go with your heart and how you feel.’ ”

john montana
04-19-2013, 06:34 PM
He deserves it. He put in the work, and has a chance to reap the rewards. Very sad to see him go because it could have been an epic year for him and gu next year, but he deserves. Go get em KO!

JAGzag
04-19-2013, 06:41 PM
No argument. Magical year. But next year as prohibitive Wooden winner, shot at top 5 ranking, would have been Camelot. He would become an icon to future college players with respect to enjoying the full experience yet still cashing in eventually. Jmo.

You're kidding, right? "Next year?". THIS year produced a #1 ranking and #1 seed and first team AA. There is no better for a player other than a chance at surviving the first weekend of the NCAA tourney, which the Zags can't seem to do lately. Why on earth would he stay and risk injury?

jazzdelmar
04-19-2013, 06:43 PM
You're kidding, right? "Next year?". THIS year produced a #1 ranking and #1 seed and first team AA. There is no better for a player other than a chance at surviving the first weekend of the NCAA tourney, which the Zags can't seem to do lately. Why on earth would he stay and risk injury?

not kidding at all. maybe a KO senior year wd push "Few 32" to a 2nd weekend and then theres the Wooden award, etc. whats wrong with a 2nd bite at a delicious apple?

ZagNative
04-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Jazz, you're nuts. That is all.

DixieZag
04-19-2013, 06:52 PM
I had forced myself to assume that he was gone for sure, but we got such good info from some that this was actually very tough for him, I let myself think, what if . . .

Now, I just hope that he goes really high. Is top ten even plausible? I think he is just so smart and such a genuinely good guy, that even NBA teams will take note. If a team is 50/50 then I would think he gets the benefit of it.

ZagNative
04-19-2013, 06:59 PM
So, what's likely to be next for Kelly? Will he leave school early go go work out with a trainer, to prepare for the NBA Chicago draft combine May 16-17 (will be broadcast live on ESPNU)?

Zippyzaggy
04-19-2013, 08:06 PM
He's most likely a mid-first round pick. After proving himself next year he'd be a Top 5 pick...he just cashed out and potentially cost himself millions. I don't see any centers that would be selected higher than him next year.

Oh well.

Ekrub
04-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Congratulations to KO!!!

AzZag
04-19-2013, 09:07 PM
not kidding at all. maybe a KO senior year wd push "Few 32" to a 2nd weekend and then theres the Wooden award, etc. whats wrong with a 2nd bite at a delicious apple?

Whelp....too late he is gone. And I am happy for him. Seeing him shake Sterns hand will bring great attention to the program. You obviously are oblivious to next year's draft pool and this year's weak draft class. A 5th year senior would not have bypassed Wiggins, Randle, Aaron Gordon, Jabari Parker, Marcus Smart, Noah Vonleh, Gary Harris, GR3, etc etc....

He's projected lotto this year...one word. DUH
Go Kelly...most of us are thrilled for you.

webspinnre
04-19-2013, 09:11 PM
He's most likely a mid-first round pick. After proving himself next year he'd be a Top 5 pick...he just cashed out and potentially cost himself millions. I don't see any centers that would be selected higher than him next year.

Oh well.

Given the strength of next year's draft, it seems unlikely that he'd be a top 5 pick. Strike while the iron is hot (ask Elias about that).

gamagin
04-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Jazz, you're nuts. That is all.

Mar(s)

Zagger
04-20-2013, 03:29 AM
Never really thought Kelly would stick around for another year. Hoped he would though. I'd like to see him play again and I rarely watch NBA basketball. My basketball interests center around the Zags. Pretty much only watch Zags games and try to watch a few of the teams that they'll get to play in a year. So, so long Kelly! Thanks for the great hoops! It was exciting watching you and the rest of the Zags play this year. Now I'm itching for November to get to see how the next Zags team hoops it up. Go Zags!

zagporvida
04-20-2013, 07:45 AM
I for one am very happy for Kelly as most of us are and feel he is leaving at the right time. To get your four year degree and start on a Master's, all while accomplishing what he has athletically, is pretty incredible. He was well spoken in his announcement and shows he has a good head on his shoulders. Kelly has turned into one of my favorite Zags for all he has done and put in for this program and himself. Good luck in your next adventure!

Zippyzaggy
04-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Given the strength of next year's draft, it seems unlikely that he'd be a top 5 pick. Strike while the iron is hot (ask Elias about that).

Agree about asking Elias, and you could also add in Turiaf & Daye (he was projected a top 5 after his freshman year) but 7'0 proven centers are hard to come by. Not seeing a lot of them in next years draft. Imo, the iron could have possibly been hotter next year. I'da taken that risk.

Malastein
04-22-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm pretty sure that LeBron should have went to Gonzaga for 4 years too.

MDABE80
04-22-2013, 03:46 PM
I dunno why people get attacked for their very reasonable opinions. It's very unbecoming.
Back to Kelly though.......he made the decision the night before and you think this is just a bit more than coin toss? This is the night before!!
Force of conviction in how he made his choice and his video announcement just weren't there..........IMO anyway.

Let this kid go...I don't like the desicion but it's Kelly's ....and he'll opt to be great or or be average....but the money is the goal apparently. So be it. Love the kid/I just think he could very much needs another year. SOme of you are playing the market...I don't......it's about strategy and tactics to get the most money for many on this board. /.. I my world it should be about being a very very good long term investment for the team who picks him. . The money will come.........now or later (if he's prepared sufficiently).

Reborn
04-23-2013, 09:42 AM
The decisions been made; so why not support him. Kelly has served GU well, and I really want to thank him for giving us so many thrills this year. He took us to unfamiliar heights...all the way to #1 in the USA. It was really fun watching him play, and oh what a surprise he was. I can only wish him all the best at the next level.

It's time to move on. It's two years in a row now that our center has been drafted into the NBA. This says alot about our coaching staff, and it should help us be able to keep on recruiting high level centers out of high school. The next in line should be Sam Dower. I think Sam is underrated here on Guboards, and will play a big role next year. He will be a redshirt senior, and highly developed into the GU offensive structure. There is a tremendous difference between what is expected out of a starter and what is expected out of a bench player. Behind Dower is PK, and who knows how good he'll be. It's an easy guess to believe that he's going to be better than he was this year. I believe his playing time will increase significantly. As we all know the hole in the offensive structure right now is at the 4. It will be fun to see how that hole is plugged. Last year it was the #3 position and Mike Hart and Drew Barham filled that pretty well. There will be no hole at the 3 next season, and the Zags should get very good production from Coleman, Barham and Dranginis.

Hope to see Kelly playing on TV.

NotoriousZ
04-23-2013, 10:00 AM
I dunno why people get attacked for their very reasonable opinions. It's very unbecoming.
Back to Kelly though.......he made the decision the night before and you think this is just a bit more than coin toss? This is the night before!!
Force of conviction in how he made his choice and his video announcement just weren't there..........IMO anyway.

Let this kid go...I don't like the desicion but it's Kelly's ....and he'll opt to be great or or be average....but the money is the goal apparently. So be it. Love the kid/I just think he could very much needs another year. SOme of you are playing the market...I don't......it's about strategy and tactics to get the most money for many on this board. /.. I my world it should be about being a very very good long term investment for the team who picks him. . The money will come.........now or later (if he's prepared sufficiently).

I think you're getting attacked as you see it because you won't let it go. Seriously, move on. Kelly's put in four years, best of luck to him.