PDA

View Full Version : Davis or Moser

1973Zag
04-19-2013, 11:29 AM
now that KO has officially moved on, if given the choice; Who could help us the most?

tlark420
04-19-2013, 11:34 AM
@slipperstillfit 18 Apr

From what we are hearing it sounds unlikely that Gonzaga will land Tulane's Josh Davis. All aboard the Moser train.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Big shoes to fill. And if Moser wants to go someplace where he can be "the man," he'll certainly have the opportunity to earn that title at GU.

Goshzagit
04-19-2013, 12:01 PM
@slipperstillfit 18 Apr

From what we are hearing it sounds unlikely that Gonzaga will land Tulane's Josh Davis. All aboard the Moser train.

and from what I heard, sounds like no US college is going to land him...as he's leaning toward playing overseas next year.

poor decision at this stage, imo, but to each their own.

WAY better opportunity/chance at securing a NBA roster spot playing in the US than taking a gamble abroad. Heck, even staying at Tulane is smarter at this juncture.

Can't believe it, to be honest.

hooter73
04-19-2013, 12:07 PM
surprising choice to go overseas. too bad if true.

RRZagFan
04-19-2013, 12:09 PM
From Parrish,CBS sports
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22105665/gonzaga-will-miss-kelly-olynyk-but-be-just-fine

jazzdelmar
04-19-2013, 01:00 PM
parrish joins katz and greenie in quaffing the zag kool aid...

MDABE80
04-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Ive ask many people why Davis should or wouldn't just go pro . Sounds like he's got the goods to do just that. So why wait??? Anyone?

Moser doesn't have the numbers to go now but he'd be a big time player if he heals up and works hard. I do think he's a 16-18/ 10 kid.

gonwick
04-19-2013, 01:18 PM
It is hard to take a national journalist seriously who lists stockton as a major asset. No matter how you feel about his play he shouldnt be mentioned in the top 8 important players for next year. Kp, gbj, kd, SD, pk, an, gc. Ok, in the top 8, but only because the others will be redshirts. The roster is thin next year, and it is how the transfers, Sam, and pk perform that will dictate the course of the season. Listing DS is laziness, trading on the national name recognition.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-19-2013, 01:34 PM
parrish joins katz and greenie in quaffing the zag kool aid...

Personally, I love their even-handed analysis and objectivity. ; )

jazzdelmar
04-19-2013, 01:37 PM
It is hard to take a national journalist seriously who lists stockton as a major asset. No matter how you feel about his play he shouldnt be mentioned in the top 8 important players for next year. Kp, gbj, kd, SD, pk, an, gc. Ok, in the top 8, but only because the others will be redshirts. The roster is thin next year, and it is how the transfers, Sam, and pk perform that will dictate the course of the season. Listing DS is laziness, trading on the national name recognition.

Amen, Gon. Laziness is very common in sportswriters. 25 wins a very ambitious target for next year, especially post KO.

cjm720
04-19-2013, 01:38 PM

Wow...Did you watch a single game the last few years? Pretty weak post.

Bet you $1000 DS averages more minutes than 3 of those listed.

jazzdelmar
04-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Wow...Did you watch a single game the last few years? Pretty weak post.

Bet you $1000 DS averages more minutes than 3 of those listed.

Not the point. As with Meech and Carter,et al, the guard quality at GU continues to lag. Pangos a keeper, Bell a question mark. Stocks is not a D1 contributor outside of Spokane.

cjm720
04-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Not the point. As with Meech and Carter,et al, the guard quality at GU continues to lag. Pangos a keeper, Bell a question mark. Stocks is not a D1 contributor outside of Spokane.

The ####ing point is what Coach decides and coach has a man crush on the kid. Oh, he surpises the hell out of everyone because he's better than his size dictates. If that's not clear...

jazzdelmar
04-19-2013, 01:48 PM
The ####ing point is what Coach decides and coach has a man crush on the kid. Oh, he surpises the hell out of everyone because he's better than his size dictates. If that's not clear...

coach's recruiting has left him w stocks as his 3d guard. make what you will of that......man crush or not, stocks is a better choice in spots than the other guards...again, everything is relative.

MDABE80
04-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Always on point: Both. I want Both.

1973Zag
04-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Abe-I like the way you think! Lets get the kool-aid out and start some final four talk

gonwick
04-19-2013, 02:28 PM
I think it is safe to say that we know what DS brings to the table, and his play will not be the principal factor in whether gu does well next year and certainly shouldn't be one of the first mentions inan article about why gu will be in good shape next year after ko goes. How kd develops (if he does), how gbj performs with more responsibility for scoring, how dower and pk respond to being essentially the only legitimate bigs (barring transfer or mystery big recruit no one knows about...which seems unlikely given pursuit of moser, etc), and how gc and an adapt after transfer are the major stories, the questions that will determine if gu is mediocre or good next year. DS will do what he does, more minutes than some would like, some great passes, some boneheaded turnovers, risks on d that lead to turnovers and breakaways as well as easy buckets for the other team. So long as he isn't inbounding the ball, I can't see him dictating the outcomes of games or the fate of the season. Ok, that was low. But fool me once, fool me twice and all that. I'm not about to be fooled a third time. My principal concern is that big minutes for ds means kd hasn't progressed or won't because he isn't getting minutes.

BobZag
04-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Either one.

jazzdelmar
04-19-2013, 02:35 PM
KO was a Halley's comet this year. Sans Kelly GU would have been a top 25, six seed kind of
team. Don't see another Halley for a very looooong time. Back to the future for Zags next year.

gonwick
04-19-2013, 02:38 PM
I guess we hope for moser at this point, although i wonder how the team would feel about his desire to be the man, as others have mentioned.

zag67
04-19-2013, 02:43 PM
So I guess that I have more confidence in the Team and coaches. I do say we will win 25 or more games next year.

Good luck ZAGS. Go get them.

DCZag
04-19-2013, 04:03 PM
I'll be happy to get either one now that KO has declared - preferably whoever has the most eligibility remaining

KStyles
04-19-2013, 04:10 PM
I'll be happy to get either one now that KO has declared - preferably whoever has the most eligibility remaining

They both only have 1 year left.

1973Zag
04-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Just wonder who the coaches and team think would be the best fit. Not necessarily best talent, but best addition to the team?

GoZags
04-19-2013, 06:15 PM
"Gonzaga has quietly cemented themselves as a viable alternative for Moser" per a UW insider

sittingon50
04-19-2013, 07:22 PM
I don't know much about either but from what I have been reading I would say Davis. I was really taken with the NC State thread last week. So many different posters mentioned how this guys motor never quit.

Imagine Kuso, with waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more talent!

Zagger
04-20-2013, 03:39 AM
I think the current Zag roster is pretty darn good. There isn't a player on the team that won't be a better player in 13-14. DS improves all the time. Kelly's light was bright and over shadowed a few other Zags. I'm very optimistic about all of the Zags - especially SD and PK. The Zags are gonna shine next season. Plus, they've got a taste of #1. That's going to put a bit more fire in the belly of the whole team. Go Zags!

DixieZag
04-20-2013, 07:35 AM
"Gonzaga has quietly cemented themselves as a viable alternative for Moser" per a UW insider

I agree with others who have pointed out that the "chemistry" thing will be a sigfnificant factor.

Most here have read, as I have, that the current roster has an up/down vote on any recruit simply on how that recruit's attitude/perspective rubbed off on the guys during the visit and that some prized recruits have been run off by the players - - that's the story anyway.

And, I have no reason - NONE - to believe that Moser is anything but the sweestest guy on earth who immediately palls up with Kevin and Gary.

What I do find interesting is that this might be the first time GU has been in the mix for a big time transfer - for one year - to fill a huge need - the definition of the hired gun.

It is a very unique situation for the Zags from a recruiting perspective - hope it works out perfectly.

GoZags
04-20-2013, 08:22 AM
I agree with others who have pointed out that the "chemistry" thing will be a sigfnificant factor.

Most here have read, as I have, that the current roster has an up/down vote on any recruit simply on how that recruit's attitude/perspective rubbed off on the guys during the visit and that some prized recruits have been run off by the players - - that's the story anyway.

And, I have no reason - NONE - to believe that Moser is anything but the sweestest guy on earth who immediately palls up with Kevin and Gary.

What I do find interesting is that this might be the first time GU has been in the mix for a big time transfer - for one year - to fill a huge need - the definition of the hired gun.

It is a very unique situation for the Zags from a recruiting perspective - hope it works out perfectly.

That has been the tradition under Few and it still holds true today (when feasible). i.e. the guys didn't get a chance to meet Karno beforehand .... nor did they meet Elias or Ronny before they arrived at Gonzaga. But for PSAs and potential transfers that visit ..... the current kids still have "veto" power. There HAS been a time or two when Few said "really???" "are you sure???" and then accepted the "veto" rather than sign the kid.

DixieZag
04-20-2013, 09:01 AM
That has been the tradition under Few and it still holds true today (when feasible). i.e. the guys didn't get a chance to meet Karno beforehand .... nor did they meet Elias or Ronny before they arrived at Gonzaga. But for PSAs and potential transfers that visit ..... the current kids still have "veto" power. There HAS been a time or two when Few said "really???" "are you sure???" and then accepted the "veto" rather than sign the kid.

Again, I have no reason to think that he would not be a zag at heart that just took awhile to get here, just noting that the equation of need combined with one year of eligibility has never combined like this, that I know of.

I have plenty of history to justify my faith that they will do right thing.