PDA

View Full Version : GU Radio Network Expands to Seattle

Angelo Roncalli
04-16-2013, 09:16 AM
KIXI 880 in Seattle will join the Bulldogs Radio Network next season, carrying all of the GU men's games live.

stevet75
04-16-2013, 10:06 AM
About frikkin time!

Zag365
04-16-2013, 10:23 AM
No more having to try and tune in Spokane's 1510, which you could get sort of) in Seattle as long as it was after 6 p.m. and not too cloudy. Even then the signal would fade in and out -- but it was the only game in town, er, radio station available. Sort of like the old days before cable, satellite stations, internet, and cell phones. On clear nights in the Midwest you could pull in stations from Pittsburgh to K.C. to Chicago and St. Louis. While at GU, I can recall getting Denver and S.F. at night.

sittingon50
04-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Very good news. What kind of coverage/reach does this station normally have?

willandi
04-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Nice to hear that now Seattle will have quality College Basketball on the radio!

GoZags
04-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Very good news. What kind of coverage/reach does this station normally have?

Just tuned into it for the first time ever and caught the last refrains of Marry Me Bill by the 5th Dimension.

rennis
04-16-2013, 11:33 AM
AWESOME!!!

Finally I can mute Heister!

sittingon50
04-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Not The 5th Dimensions best effort IMO, GZ. ;)

Aquarius still gets me pretty fired up, however.

stevet75
04-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Not The 5th Dimensions best effort IMO, GZ. ;)

Aquarius still gets me pretty fired up, however.

I'm guessing you've been sitting on 50 for quite some time.:roll:

gamagin
04-16-2013, 12:25 PM
KIXI 880 in Seattle will join the Bulldogs Radio Network next season, carrying all of the GU men's games live.

enjoy the pre game chat between Matt Santangelo and Tom Hudson.

Matt does a first rate job & Huddy, as he's called, covers the stats and sets the table nicely.

MS scrimmages with the teams still (usually on the scout team) and brings a player's perspective to the play by play.

Yet he doesn't shy away from saying what he thinks is needed or needs to be done.

The duo flies on the team plane and Matt will sometimes use this time to get to the bottom of many things Zag and is good about sharing the information. He has a strong, smooth conversational style and the confidence of someone who knows what he's talking about.

Those of you on the game threads, I believe, will really enjoy this additional background info, interviews and then, the game itself. fwiw.

Zag 77
04-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Finally I can mute Heister!

Not really. Most of the time the TV feed is 5-10 seconds ahead of the radio and it pretty much will drive you nuts if you try watch TV while listening to the radio feed.

KStyles
04-16-2013, 12:34 PM
If the radio is 5-10 second behind the TV, and you've got TV with a DVR, you could always pause live TV at the beginning of the game and then hit play again in 5-10 seconds. You'd be 5-10 seconds behind live TV, but it'd match up closer with the radio. May be more trouble than its worth trying to get them to match up, but its an idea.

caduceus
04-16-2013, 01:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kv6P2PP.gif

sittingon50
04-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Sitting's about all I can do anymore.

;)

stevet75
04-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Me too.

zagirl2k
04-16-2013, 02:52 PM
There is an online app called Radio Delay where you plug your radio into the computer and you are able to synch up the sound to the tv, if the tv is behind the radio (dvr doesn't help that way). Was a sanity saver as a Giants fan in the playoffs last year and 2010.

BobZag
04-16-2013, 04:27 PM
That just about covers the state now.

DixieZag
04-16-2013, 04:48 PM
I was actually suprised to hear that they hadn't been up till now.

Sounds like good news, indicative of the level of interest over there.

Angelo Roncalli
04-16-2013, 05:30 PM

You can drive from Seattle to Spokane and always be in range of a network station. Next region to conquer: Vancouver/Portland.

original user name here
04-16-2013, 06:46 PM

Not sure if it's just me but I haven't been able to get 1510 here in Lewiston/Clarkston valley since we moved here. I can pick up bits and pieces of some of the games but after dark the signal goes bad. The transmitter is up on the palouse and being down in the valley is bad for line of sight....or something like that.

gamagin
04-16-2013, 07:05 PM
talk to an engineer at your local radio station about this.

1510 is KGA in spokane. Truckers from TX used to pick it up at night. LONG reach. HUGE tower (or used to have the biggest).

However, as you know, you are in a big hole. So my uninformed guess is your only hope is radio via cable, or satellite or pc.

a radiohead in your area likely knows the answer.

Zag 77
04-16-2013, 08:31 PM
KGA (which got its call letters from when it was owned by GU in prehistoric times) used to be 50,000 watts and could blast right through the Rockies and Cascades. Unfortunately they cut back their power a few years ago. I think people used to be able to pick it up clearly in Manitoba.

DixieZag
04-16-2013, 08:48 PM
KGA (which got its call letters from when it was owned by GU in prehistoric times) used to be 50,000 watts and could blast right through the Rockies and Cascades. Unfortunately they cut back their power a few years ago. I think people used to be able to pick it up clearly in Manitoba.

Not to get way off topic here and I am certainly no engineer but. . .I read once that those really powerful stations (the 50,000 ones) actually have some weird feature where they powerfully send out their signal - it fades 100 miles or so out (this is at night) but then somehow, in some way I don't understand, it "bounces" off the atmosphere (?) and can then come back down but only a ways away.

For that reason, as I was growing up in So. Idaho, I could get KGO from SF but not the SLC station (KSL) or KBOI from Boise, both strong stations. Anyway, I used to have fun at night as a kid, dialing my a.m. radio around and see what I could pick up, remember Las Vegas, Albequrqee (but not Phoenix ??):

and now, back to your regularly scheduled and preferred programing

Zagineer
04-16-2013, 08:49 PM
I vaguely remember something about KGA cutting back on their broadcast power, but can't recall the reason. Why am I thinking it was something to do with an FCC mandate?

Anyhow,... I listened to KIXI 880 on my drive home from Issaquah to Kirkland this evening. It came in perfectly. And Issaquah is a tough place for radio reception, being surrounded by mountains on 3 sides. (Not even that radio station from The Dark Side, KJR 950, comes in well during the twilight hours in Issaquah. :D)

Can't wait to listen to Bulldog Radio in real time, locally!!!!

:clap:

sittingon50
04-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Yeah, they cut back their power. I can get it in Colville (60 miles N. of Wandermere) fine during the day. At night; not so good.

Zagineer
04-16-2013, 09:21 PM
In response to DixiZag's and 50's posts,.......

Most AM radio stations are required by the FCC's rules to reduce their power or cease operating at night in order to avoid interference to other AM stations. FCC rules governing the daytime and nighttime operation of AM radio stations are a consequence of the laws of physics.

More here:

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/why-am-radio-stations-must-reduce-power-change-operations-or-cease-broadcasting-night

I hear what you're saying 50. When I'm in Issaquah, I can get KJR 950 very clear during the day, but at dusk or evening it's almost totally gone.

MDABE80
04-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Cool beans. Good for recruiting and for the fans. ESPN games have done a lot for us in terms of coverage. Nothing like airwaves for those who cannot be near a TV.

SWZag
04-17-2013, 02:10 AM
Best news of the day! Was wondering when this would happen and on which station. Great work GU Radio Network!

SWZag

Birddog
04-17-2013, 03:08 AM
IIRC, there were originally 50 stations that were granted a license to broadcast at 50,000 watts, the maximum the FCC would allow. KGA was one of them Also IIRC they sold their right to a station in Ca which was approved by the FCC to broadcast with that power. It is strictly regulated and there has to be a certain amount of space between both the geographic and band location. Many if not all stations turn on their non-directional signal at sunset. It's not a big deal for a little 5,000 watt station but for those power blaster 50K's it means that their signal can reach up to 1,000's of miles away. Back in the old days driving at night in the western US it was always fun to try and find a good signal. Most of us geezers can also remember the 100,000 watt station that was located in Mexico and gave Wolfman Jack his base of operation. I think it was XRock 80, but not positive. This was all back in the day of the 8 track. You all know what an 8 Track is, right?

Rangerzag
04-17-2013, 03:35 AM
IIRC, there were originally 50 stations that were granted a license to broadcast at 50,000 watts, the maximum the FCC would allow. KGA was one of them

They are called clear-channel stations.

Also IIRC they sold their right to a station in Ca which was approved by the FCC to broadcast with that power.

IIRC both stations were/are owned by the same outfit so any sale was on paper only.

You all know what an 8 Track is, right?

Fancy snow mobile, right? :^)

bigblahla
04-17-2013, 05:04 AM
KIXI 50K watts daytime 10K watts at night.

Go!! Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
04-17-2013, 05:09 AM
When I worked in Seattle, I would leave my eastern Washington house at 0300 and from othello to vantage I would listen to a Los Angeles station as it had the best music I could find on that lonely stretch of 60 miles.......I could not get anything local in that stretch. Always thought it was weird

a13coach
04-17-2013, 07:16 AM
IIRC both stations were/are owned by the same outfit so any sale was on paper only.

IIRC the parent co. of the CA station purchased KGA specifically to acquire the rights to broadcast @ 50,000 watts so they could use it for the CA station and cut KGA back. The FCC only allows X number of 50,000 watt stations.

Actually with a little research I found this:
From the http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/why-am-radio-stations-must-reduce-power-change-operations-or-cease-broadcasting-nightFCC

And from Wikipedia:

On July 15, 2008, KGA reduced its nighttime power to 15,000 watts, changed its class from Class A to Class B (Class A stations are required to operate at 50,000 watts at all times) and changed its directional antenna system, all so that its sister station KSFN AM in Piedmont, California, which serves San Francisco, but not the entire San Francisco Bay Area, could increase its nighttime power to 2,400 watts, up from 230 watts. The justification for this change was gaining several hundred thousand potential listeners in San Francisco while sacrificing a few thousand potential listeners in the Pacific Northwest. The hope for a larger audience did not materialize.

lothar98zag
04-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Not sure if I ever mentioned this on the board or not, but this thread is as good a place as any -

About 6 or so years ago after attending an exciting Zag game at St Mary's, as I began my drive back home, I decided to attempt to listen to SMC's post game radio show. I didn't know what AM station it was on, so I started scanning and eventually found a post game show -- only thing -- it wasn't SMC's show, it was Gonzaga's radio broadcast. So while I was still in St Mary's parking lot and for about 10 minutes on the roads of Moraga, I was able to pick up the signal from Spokane. That was a pleasant surprise.

I tried again once or twice in the few years after, but wasn't able to find it again. I guess the reduced signal in 2008 (noted above) is the reason why.

DixieZag
04-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Not sure if I ever mentioned this on the board or not, but this thread is as good a place as any -

About 6 or so years ago after attending an exciting Zag game at St Mary's, as I began my drive back home, I decided to attempt to listen to SMC's post game radio show. I didn't know what AM station it was on, so I started scanning and eventually found a post game show -- only thing -- it wasn't SMC's show, it was Gonzaga's radio broadcast. So while I was still in St Mary's parking lot and for about 10 minutes on the roads of Moraga, I was able to pick up the signal from Spokane. That was a pleasant surprise.

I tried again once or twice in the few years after, but wasn't able to find it again. I guess the reduced signal in 2008 (noted above) is the reason why.

This is probably getting silly, but - it IS the off season, I was once talking to some old-timer and he told me that the reason that the St. Louis Cardinals baseball had so many fans scattered through the mountain west was that way back a person could pick up KMOX out of St. Louis even in the west and people would listen to Jack Buck and the cards - - I think he was right b/c I have heard that station driving late at night in Utah.

sittingon50
04-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Spent a winter working in the Mojave Desert in the early 70's & would listen to the St.Louis Blues regularly in the evening on KMOX.

rennis
04-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Not really. Most of the time the TV feed is 5-10 seconds ahead of the radio and it pretty much will drive you nuts if you try watch TV while listening to the radio feed.

DVR baby!...pause, FF, rewind...until I get it right