PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bud's Article on Boston Tragedy

Angelo Roncalli
04-16-2013, 05:40 AM
First hand account:

http://seattletimes.com/html/budwithers/2020787586_withers16.html

jazzdelmar
04-16-2013, 07:51 AM
unspeakable tragedy, esp the 8 y/o killed while waiting for dad to finish. mom and sister badly hurt.

of much less note, bud's son did very well at 2:34 even for a former collegiate runner (zags?!).

gamagin
04-16-2013, 08:46 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with all the victims and runners of Monday's Boston Marathon.

I ran the great race with several friends about 30 years ago. Our group included fellow Bloomsday board members Steven Jones, (founder) Don Kardong and middle distance running sensation, Herm Atkins, Seattle. Those three were serious & legitimate runners. I was serious, and in the best shape of my life, but in no way a legitimate runner, by any standards.

Don actually led the race for about two thirds of the way but was not built for the downhill race (he was tall and skinny, only short guys seem to win because of the pounding Boston requires, he told me later). Bill Rodgers, short, light, quick, ultimately won that year. I think it was his fifth BAC victory. Joanie Benoit won the women's race. Both were gold medal Olympians in their time & both had been guests at many Bloomsday runs.

Herm went on to take ninth and Steven, I believe, turned in a personal best.

I was a same day finisher. Which was my plan. The point is we travelled all the way to Boston to participate in the greatest foot race since the legendary first one in Athens. It is and remains a distinct honor to have run from Hopkinton to downtown Boston on Patriots day.

So it was supposed to be Monday when those 27 thousand runners and half a million + spectators committed themselves to run or watch this famous race. Except some crazy ba$tard(s) decided to ruin the event, destroy the lives of as many innocents as possible by bombing the finish line of America's premiere running event. Three are known dead, 130 + have been injured, many critically. Among the dead was an eight year old boy waiting for his father to finish. Many other innocent bystanders were crippled and maimed by flying schrapnel. There only fault was to dare to try and watch this world class, public and highly celebrated event. Instead of cheering, they were forced to suffer massive wounds to their lower extremities. We learned later the schrapnel in the bomb included nails & bb's, clearly intended to do maximum damage to human flesh.

One witness I heard on NBC said the terrorists may have ruined the day and the race, and the lives of too many innocent people, but they cannot and have not ruined the human and American spirit that emerged just seconds after the bombs went off. Hundreds ran towards the blasts in order to help the victims. It was a day of many unsung heroes who simply refused to be intimidated, even in all the confusion.

I believe the cooperation and can-do spirit will continue on until the perpetrators are found and brought to justice.

I agree with many terrorism experts that these killers will be found. The odds are really high with all the cameras in the area that the perpetrator(s) will be spotted and arrested.

I hope it is sooner than later and I hope it will help unite us, in some way, as a country, instead of dividing us further in some way. Either way, I'll take & handle the facts as they emerge. Meantime, God bless all the victims, their families and friends.

Especially the parents of the little boy who came to Boylston Street with thousands of other well wishers to watch the finishers at the annual race and was senselessly killed by some wanton murderer.

Runners are a very peaceful breed as a lot. I believe the innocence of the sport and the runners themselves have been severely shaken with this act of terrorism.

I do not think, however, any of the hardened runners will stop or be stopped by this disaster, despite the shock it brought to all who cherish the sport and all the good it brings throughout the world.

But there's no doubt in my mind that those who come to watch any big event like this in their hometown or at any large, widely scattered, venue, will ever again be able to feel totally safe like they did at the finish line at Boston Monday. A place to collectively celebrate a very personal achievement -- finishing Boston -- is turned into a disaster area in a few seconds. I believe that was the whole idea, for some very sick reason.