BobZag
04-13-2013, 10:44 AM
-Jon Gruden

Just sayin' is all.

montanazag88
04-13-2013, 11:38 AM
-Jon Gruden

Just sayin' is all.

"Retirement means you'll just go ahead and live on your laurels and surf all day in Oceanside. I't ain't going to happen." - Junior Seau

"Resting on your laurels is as dangerous as resting when you are walking in the snow. You doze off and die in your sleep." - Ludwig Wittgenstein

"Nothing is so difficult as not deceiving oneself." - Ludwig Wittgenstein

I hear ya, Bob, but hear and see others as well. Maybe it is wise to take all of these into account....?

caduceus
04-13-2013, 11:52 AM
http://i.imgur.com/QAzQIcf.png

Kong-Kool-Aid
04-13-2013, 12:15 PM
http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3000/86d67/products/5402/images/3901/t5385_1__35296.1333396954.600.600.jpg

VinnyZag
04-13-2013, 12:19 PM
"Was it over when the Germans bomber Pearl Harbor? Hell, no!

Bluto Blukarski

Kiddwell
04-13-2013, 12:56 PM
"Zags be good, and thank goodness for that!"
--Kiddwell's faithful (and sage) dog Towzer

:]

mainer6
04-13-2013, 01:06 PM
...be afraid only of standing still."
GU basketball grew this year. How many programs didn't?

gamagin
04-13-2013, 01:24 PM
even the boredom of routine success can be spun into a crisis

caduceus
04-13-2013, 02:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jdKnc.jpg

Birddog
04-13-2013, 02:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jdKnc.jpg
Can you back that up with some stats?

bartruff1
04-13-2013, 03:01 PM
As a very average person who has managed to scrape by.... motivated by fear....... and blessed with incredible luck...there is no such thing as routine success.. a concept I am not familiar with...I take nothing for granted... I appreciate any success.... nothing is promised...

Rio Runner
04-13-2013, 04:10 PM
"I wanna kiss you! I couldn't care less about the team strug-gl-ing."

http://media.salon.com/2006/11/broadway_joes_lowest_moment.jpg

hondo
04-13-2013, 04:16 PM
"even the boredom of routine success can be spun into a crisis "
Nice
+1

caduceus
04-13-2013, 04:21 PM

Sure!

http://i.imgur.com/uaD36QZ.jpg?1

FGZagDad
04-13-2013, 04:30 PM
and don't overlook how hard it is to maintain it....

Birddog
04-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Sure!

Thanks, I think you nailed it. This board is possibly a microcosm.

gamagin
04-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Sure!

RIP George.

maynard g krebs
04-13-2013, 06:03 PM
"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax. You're ####### right i'm living in the ####ing past."
-Walter Sobchak

stmikezag
04-14-2013, 12:58 PM
The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain.
Or maybe. Lots of people want to ride with you in the Limo, but what YOUwant is someone who will ride the bus with you when the Limo breaks down.

gamagin
04-14-2013, 01:28 PM
The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain.
Or maybe. Lots of people want to ride with you in the Limo, but what YOUwant is someone who will ride the bus with you when the Limo breaks down.

We just gotta take it one game at a time, play our game, have a do-or-die attitude the next time we play, try to ride the wave of momentum, thank God, avoid the media hype & clippings and just keep on sawing wood.

MDABE80
04-14-2013, 01:41 PM
There are roughly 320 NCAA D1 schools that would die for our record over the past 14 years... so we lose a few......no need to throw yourself off a bridge. Sometimes I do think the fans are spoiled to the core.
All this succes is still new. The youngers don't remember the 30 years before success with the Zags.........
Incredible ( yes the REAL word...not the loose ,casual meaning of it) is the word used to describe us. That word applies perfectly.

gonwick
04-14-2013, 10:54 PM
I appreciate the sentiment, but with our budget compared to the rest of the WCC, shouldn't we expect to beat everyone except byu, whose budget is comparable. During the tourney, it was often stated that we had no chance against teams like Louisville since their budget was much higher. I suppose the same should hold for gu.

Yes, gu used to be terrible. But now, it has a huge budget (relatively) and national tv exposure to help it recruit. I get the difficulty long time gu fans have with how the program is now perceived, but gu now occupies a different place in the college basketball landscape. It is doing great, but more will continue to be expected, and it is not unreasonable to expect gu at a minimum to win or come close to winning the wcc. Obviously, in a better conference, that doesn't hold.

ZagFanInNC
04-14-2013, 11:43 PM

Yes, without stats this statement is just "conjecture".

MDABE80
04-14-2013, 11:44 PM
I appreciate the sentiment, but with our budget compared to the rest of the WCC, shouldn't we expect to beat everyone except byu, whose budget is comparable. During the tourney, it was often stated that we had no chance against teams like Louisville since their budget was much higher. I suppose the same should hold for gu.

Yes, gu used to be terrible. But now, it has a huge budget (relatively) and national tv exposure to help it recruit. I get the difficulty long time gu fans have with how the program is now perceived, but gu now occupies a different place in the college basketball landscape. It is doing great, but more will continue to be expected, and it is not unreasonable to expect gu at a minimum to win or come close to winning the wcc. Obviously, in a better conference, that doesn't hold.

No Gon...we don't buy players with the budget. hell if we did that, we do what Cal does. No....it's the character and the good kids we get. Budget be damned.....we'd have an full NBA group of kids if money made the difference.

We have a difference space becuse we go hard, get good kids, develop them and have some good facilities ( which WE didn't buy or build). Nope it's a special story and it has little to do with cash. Back in 99, the coaches had a hard time recruiting because they didn't have a travel budget. And that's when this new era began. Fitz didn't have money but he found some wonderful dedicated kids and began building.

Now we do have some but it's because the building was done over time. Sometimes I think God smiled on us. Sometimes I think we just got lucky. Sometimes I think we just had some dedicated staff that went far beyond others to find kids and then train them...might be all three......but this program was never built on Cash.

Proudzagmom
04-15-2013, 07:58 AM
My son and I watched "the Decade of Excellence" last night. I hadn't watched it in years. I remember watching the tournament in 1999 and how excited I was with every win. Although he was born in 2001, my little guy still knows of Casey Calvary, Matt Santangelo, Richie Frahm, and Quentin Hall. Our son has grown up on Gonzaga basketball and he told me again last night that his dad and I would have to move to Spokane when he plays basketball for them, so we can attend all the home games. It is because of Casey, Matt, Richie, Ryan, Mark, and the rest of the '98-'99 team that my son has such a lofty goal. There wasn't a McDonald's All-American among them. They were not known on a national level. They did not have a stellar non-conference strength of schedule. These mostly local boys were just playing the game they love and they played to win. And, they won. They won games they weren't supposed to win and they won the hearts of many. This Cinderella team started it all just a few short years ago. Watching this movie again, I still get choked up by all of the former player's passion for GU basketball, their teammates, their coaches, the campus and the continued success of the program. So much talent has come through this little school in the past fourteen years. I have been blessed to watch them all.

The likelihood of our son becoming a part of the team years from now is slim, but not impossible. However, just the fact that he aspires to be a part of the history of this school, makes me very proud. I'm a Gonzaga fan, win or lose.

Kiddwell
04-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Nice story, Proudzagmom.

:]

McZag
04-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Don't get bored with the ongoing miracle that is Gonzaga Basketball. No logical explanation for its success. Anything but boring.

gonwick
04-15-2013, 07:37 PM
No Gon...we don't buy players with the budget. hell if we did that, we do what Cal does. No....it's the character and the good kids we get. Budget be damned.....we'd have an full NBA group of kids if money made the difference.

We have a difference space becuse we go hard, get good kids, develop them and have some good facilities ( which WE didn't buy or build). Nope it's a special story and it has little to do with cash. Back in 99, the coaches had a hard time recruiting because they didn't have a travel budget. And that's when this new era began. Fitz didn't have money but he found some wonderful dedicated kids and began building.

Now we do have some but it's because the building was done over time. Sometimes I think God smiled on us. Sometimes I think we just got lucky. Sometimes I think we just had some dedicated staff that went far beyond others to find kids and then train them...might be all three......but this program was never built on Cash.

Agreed, it wasn't built on cash. It was an amazing run that put gu on the map. But now, I get the feeling gu is like a fat teen who got hot as an adult and didn't realize it, so has a complex about expectations and always sells itself short. Gu now has a huge budget, new facilities, charter travel, private flights for coaching, big tv exposure. That is where gu is now. The rest of the WCC with the exception of byu is well behind. Gu should win. Mercifully, it does, but expecting it to is not unreasonable. It is a logical flow of events, like being the yankees, but on a limited scale. If a team with gu's advantages didn't win, something would be awry. I guess I'm just saying gu should look in the mirror and feel good about itself.

MDABE80
04-15-2013, 08:28 PM
"I guess I'm just saying gu should look in the mirror and feel good about itself" -----> tell some of the board members Gon! lol I agree!!.

Zagcity
04-16-2013, 06:20 AM
"I guess I'm just saying gu should look in the mirror and feel good about itself" -----> tell some of the board members Gon! lol I agree!!.

I'm on that wagon - the best is yet to come :fingergun:

rijman
04-16-2013, 11:47 AM
I agree with the OP.

As far as the role money plays, I have to disagree with some here. Understand my perspective is from a father who as a student was Hank Anderson's only assistant. They had a lack of assistance for coaching and recruiting and a lack of funds. My dad would be the first to tell you money brings in top coaches and it allows for recruiting trips and nice facilities which make a huge difference. GU's success on the basketball court, like every other successful program, relies on the coordination of many efforts not just what the players and coaches do on the floor. The fans, boosters, donations and fundraising efforts play a very important role in sustaining success. What GU did in 1999 was awesome, but no school has continued post season success like the Zags without the financial backing to keep it going.