PDA

View Full Version : Question and Opinions?

NYCZAG
04-12-2013, 12:10 PM
So I'm taking a meeting with ESPN about doing a short form doc on Adam Morrison. I do tv and docs aren't my thing but my friend did the fab five 30-30 film so I decided I wanted to do something. I wanted to cover his junior year and subsequent fall in the NBA. In your opinion is that interesting? I guess it depends on how interesting Adam is as an individual. Any input would be great.

webspinnre
04-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Adam is definitely an interesting individual, and having seen many of the 30 for 30 films, I think you could make a very compelling doc as long as you can keep it appropriately focused.

SteelCityZag
04-12-2013, 12:44 PM
So I'm taking a meeting with ESPN about doing a short form doc on Adam Morrison. I do tv and docs aren't my thing but my friend did the fab five 30-30 film so I decided I wanted to do something. I wanted to cover his junior year and subsequent fall in the NBA. In your opinion is that interesting? I guess it depends on how interesting Adam is as an individual. Any input would be great.

I'd watch it. It's interesting how a player like Adam can dominate at one level, and struggle at the next (injuries not withstanding). Plus there's all kinds of great stuff about Adam as a personality, and how he balances that all with his competitive nature. Then you have the diabetes angle and him as a symbol for kids.

Could be cool. Good luck with it.

BobZag
04-12-2013, 01:28 PM
I've never had any interest in watching any 30 for 30 film. That's just me is all.

mgadfly
04-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Just the junior year and NBA?

I think anything that looks at those few years is a very incomplete story that misses a lot of what was amazing about Adam Morrison. His and Mallon's domination of the GSL, state championship, lightly recruited, signed with hometown team, diabetic, incredible competitor, quirky personality ... But I think even if the film was isolated to his peak and subsequent struggle it could be very interesting.

vandalzag
04-12-2013, 01:43 PM
I've never had any interest in watching any 30 for 30 film. That's just me is all.

BZ,
Just curios as to why. Some of them are stellar efforts.

In regards to Adam it would depend on how Adam participates 100%. If he is involved then I think you would have a solid chance to do a good film. If he does not wish to play along, then it would be a rough go.

hondo
04-12-2013, 01:52 PM
It just doesn't get anymore interesting than the case of Adam Morrison.

Mojo13
04-12-2013, 02:00 PM
A 30 for 30 on who is widely considered one of the biggest NBA draft bust of all time would be compelling to a broad audience.

Always a shame with Morrison. So overhyped, he was picked way too high and had too much pressure on him. If he was picked in the mid to late first round where he should have been and was free from the pressure, he could have had a long successful career in the NBA as a valuable rotation player.

The ridicule he receives is a little unwarranted - not his fault the hype machine swept him up and that MJ is just a plain terrible evaluator of talent.

Reddick is a good example - he was probably even picked too high in the lottery (11th?), but he has had a fairly successful career.

Mojo13
04-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Adam Morrison: Named 4th worst pick of the decade by ESPN's Chad Ford

12/29/09
By Brian Kamenetzky
ESPNLosAngeles.com

Ouch.

Writes Ford (Insider required):
"...Chalk (Adam) Morrison up as Michael Jordan's second devastating mistake as a GM. (Land O'Lakers Note: Having already taken on Kwame Brown, L.A. is officially only one Jordan bust short of a free latte.) This time the scene moves to Charlotte, where Jordan had just bought a stake in the Bobcats and was named the team's vice president. The Bobcats were in desperate need of a 2-guard, and (Brandon) Roy looked like the perfect fit. However, Jordan was wowed by Morrison's career at Gonzaga, loved his workout and decided to gamble on the athletically challenged player. The results have been disastrous for Charlotte. Morrison was awful as a rookie. He missed his entire sophomore season with a serious knee injury, then was traded to the Lakers. Meanwhile, Roy has developed into one of the best 2-guards in the game..."

Sounds about right.

Call me a softie, but sometimes this sort of thing makes me feel- relatively speaking, of course- bad for a guy. I can't vouch for his time in Charlotte, but by all accounts since arriving in Los Angeles Morrison has worked hard and tried to resurrect his reputation and career, even spending the offseason in Vegas for Summer League, not something typically done by non-rooks and sophomores. He's a quiet-but-perfectly nice guy. Injuries have played a big role in cementing Morrison's bust status, but in the end the guy just wasn't good enough to be drafted with a #3 pick. It's not like there weren't people at every level who wondered if Morrison lacked the athleticism to create his own shot and defend at the NBA level. (For example, I watched his last NCAA Tournament with one noted talent scout, who wondered aloud exactly how "that awkward guy" was supposed to play against NBA players, and also thought crying on the floor was inappropriate. Tough cookie, my wife.)

Morrison wants to earn his paycheck, and has plenty of professional pride. That's not the issue. He's just not good enough at his job.

What's interesting to me, though, is how much luck and perception play a role in this sort of thing. Obviously he could score with anyone in the college ranks and some thought Morrison had potential (probably none more than M.J., but such people existed). High lottery? Maybe not. Mid-first round? Why not? And if Ammo was picked 10th by a nameless, faceless GM and faded away, nobody would care. As evidence, I give you the constant public outcry over Saer Sene's lack of All Star appearances. A huge percentage of first rounders, even lottery picks, don't pan out.

Instead, Morrison was rather controversially overdrafted by the planet's most iconic basketball figure, adding even more wattage to an already bright light shining down on the draft's #3 pick, a guy who probably didn't have the requisite athleticism to live up to the billing in the first place. And that was before he got hurt.

Again, Morrison and Brown really should meet for coffee. I bet they'd have plenty to talk about.

Nobody should lose sleep over his lot in life. Morrison has earned well over $11 million in the NBA, and will certainly be able to play somewhere next season if he chooses, maybe in the NBA, maybe in Europe. Judging by his personality (and, if nothing else, his wardrobe), Morrison doesn't seem like the kind of guy who has blown through his cash and will find himself broke in a few years. There's still a chance an opportunity comes along this season affording him a chance to prove himself, whether in L.A. or in another city.

I doubt it, but have been wrong before. Even if it doesn't, Morrison should be set for life a few times over. I don't feel pity, just some sympathy.

I see Morrison as a great example of how fate can sometimes work against a guy, professionally speaking. He had a spectacular college career, but will be remembered more for busting out of the NBA, should current form hold. Other guys manage to avoid that stigma. Had Morrison been chosen by a different man in a different year in a more appropriate draft slot, he'd be your run-of-the-mill washout.

Instead, he's fourth on a very unfortunate list.

Mojo13
04-12-2013, 02:14 PM

Vandal - assuming you are a bball fan. Track down "Once Brothers", the Drazen Petrovic / Vlade Divac story. Just an awsome 30 for 30.

Us Canadians are partial to the "Into the Wind" one about Terry Fox that Steve Nash produced.

So many other good ones:

"The Two Escobars"
"Run Rickey Run"
"No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson"
"Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks"
"Guru of Go"
"The U"

gamagin
04-12-2013, 02:16 PM
It just doesn't get anymore interesting than the case of Adam Morrison.

This is one of those stories that writes itself once you get into it. This is the story of a genuine phenom.

More peaks and valleys than the Kardashians, imo but that's what makes a great story. I don't think it can be overestimated how much of a daily struggle Ammo went through just to stay alive, then to compete on ever more challenging venues. And he appeared to revel in it.

What happened in the pros I do not know. How he got there and whatever challenges he faced and overcame to get there would be a great story. Whatever really happened after he went to the bigs as a high draft choice, is definitely story that has not been told. At lease from his perspective.

Ammo lit up the world in his time. I am positive there are many, like me, who wondered what happened. If you can nail that you've got an instant classic about the highs and lows of America's favorite sport, imo.

good luck !

Hoopaholic
04-12-2013, 03:04 PM
NYCZAG
Dang been trying talk my son into doing just that..he is a producer in LA but he refuses to do anything but these "artistic" films that I just don't understand

Need drill back from younger steer thru nba

Also think a 30 on 30 on. The rise of 206 basketball would be a great one as well dealing with the rise f Addidas summer league to nw and the explosion of college and nba talent that has exploded from that area code

McZag
04-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Adam "fell" in the NBA?

My memory is saying, drafted high, paid very well, got hurt, traded, could not overcome injury, retired from the game.

I know I left out a bit but not enough here for a 30 for 30. Just my take.

NYCZAG
04-12-2013, 05:28 PM
I think I tend to agree with the not enough for a compelling story. I'm trying to find that it factor within it I think. I so badly want it to be powerful and to capture who he is. "The Almost Kid". I don't know I'm so back and forth on it. The other idea was to profile the program itself and the university. I just think Adam's junior year was one of the best years in the game ever. Did anyone honestly think JJ Reddick would still be playing and Adam wouldn't be?

Also the Petrovic, Divac doc was a must must see for any fan of the game! Beautiful!!!!

GoZags
04-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Adan's Junior year he was named America's most influential diabetic. Some guy named Lee Iacocca was the recipient the year prior.

MDABE80
04-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Playing on a promising kid's misery after 20 + ppg in the summer league last year and is nothing I find attractive. I don't see what it gains to have a show on him. He was a shining star once. Sometimes things just don't work out. Why go through it again? I don't see any value to anyone to relive it.....especially not the kid who lived/lives it daily.
When a kid comes all the way back and has a summer league like he had and still not catch on was a bit much for me. I'd let it rest. Not even given a chance to redeem himself when he was on that threshold. Fellas, it might just be me but I don't see much value for anyone/anything except ESPN to take up some TV space at the expense at one our kids.

CB4
04-12-2013, 07:02 PM
The Rise and Fall of Adam Morrison? :espn:

Rio Runner
04-12-2013, 07:10 PM

It depends. If the focus is on "his fall in the NBA," then no, it is not interesting to hear. There are draft busts in every league every year. While pile on Morrison? He was not a personal trainwreck, like Ryan Leaf or Chris Washburn who wasted their talent. He just was overvalued by the Bobcats. Plus, I'm sure this is a source of pain for Morrison and his family. It irritated me every time Jimmy Kimmel or some ESPN talking head made fun of Morrison for his lack of playing time when the Lakers won the title. What did he do to deserve that? No one ever questioned his desire or effort. As far as I know, he was a good teammate. If the focus is on his fall, I say leave the guy alone.

If, however, the focus is on his rise from being an under the radar high school kid who was barely recruited to a national Player of the Year, then yes, that is a story. Morrison at Gonzaga reminded me of Will Clark; pure aggression and confidence. The team his junior year was nowhere near as deep or balanced as this year's team (P-Mac was in the starting lineup for chrissakes!), but Morrison (and Batista) made that team a powerhouse. I remember Coach Few describing the team as the Rolling Stones, because there were huge crowds everywhere they went. I was at USF when Morrison dropped 43 on the Dons, and I've never seen a gym so packed. The announcer kept saying that people should leave because the fire code was being violated, and, of course, no one moved.

On a personal note, I named my first born Adam. Morrison gets some of the credit for that.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-12-2013, 07:52 PM

You're missing out.

Just A Zag
04-12-2013, 07:54 PM
The NBA is a funny game. Adam could have come back for his senior year(probably the wrong call) and finished his college career as the best Zag ever. Instead, he has all the hype and money waiting for him and bolted. Sometimes you can be the greatest college player ever but that game doesn't translate to the NBA. For Adam, this was the case. He's still a flat baller, Kobe said it himself. A guy that in a pick up game his team would probably win 9 outta 10. But his defense was lacking and he became a one trick pony. Oh well.

That being said, Adam's junior year was an amazing time to attend Gonzaga. Being a student at that time was something I'll never forget. I feel like the games weren't as crazy after he left. The Reddick Vs. Adam 30 for 30 would be much more compelling in my opinion.

vandalzag
04-13-2013, 07:18 AM
Vandal - assuming you are a bball fan. Track down "Once Brothers", the Drazen Petrovic / Vlade Divac story. Just an awsome 30 for 30.

Us Canadians are partial to the "Into the Wind" one about Terry Fox that Steve Nash produced.

So many other good ones:

"The Two Escobars"
"Run Rickey Run"
"No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson"
"Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks"
"Guru of Go"
"The U"

I agree, Bobzag is the one who has not seen any. The films are all good, the Terry Fox film was fantastic

mgadfly
04-13-2013, 07:34 AM
To me, Morrison's story is a lot like Steve Emtman's. If someone focused on Emtman's #1 pick overall and subsequent years in the NFL, it is a sad and incomplete story.

Emtman was my favorite college football player growing up, he dominated on defense to an insane degree, and deserved to be the #1 overall pick, even if he would blow up his knee half way through his rookie season and never be the promising pro it looked like he could be.

novazag2
04-13-2013, 10:17 AM
If sticking with his college career, then you still need to explain why his case is more interesting than, say, Jimmer or another unexpected player that had a tremendous season. To me it's about how he was able to thrive at Gonzaga and nowhere else. Reddick, Jimmer at least have stuck in the pros, but it's amazing to think that the kind of offense Adam generated at GU would have at least been enough to keep him on a roster somewhere. It's the perfect storm of injuries, trades, team situations, lack of talent, etc. But I think it was also a perfect storm at GU that allowed Adam to thrive like he did (Few, Spokane, the team).

BobZag
04-13-2013, 10:52 AM
BZ,
Just curios as to why. Some of them are stellar efforts.

In regards to Adam it would depend on how Adam participates 100%. If he is involved then I think you would have a solid chance to do a good film. If he does not wish to play along, then it would be a rough go.

Simple: No interest and better options. Just a matter of taste. No big deal.

Anyway, regarding this Adam idea... America loves the buildup of a hero and then the demise of that hero... So it'd probably be very a successful and popular film!

jazzdelmar
04-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Adam was a gunslinger. A rebel. Hyper confident. Gave his team a great chance to win every single game. Tolerated coaching. From his first basket vs st joe at the Garden you knew he was special. Adam is the angle, why he is like that, not necessarily his points on the college or nba level.

zag944
04-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Adam had a remarkable ability to create his own shot at the college level, and consistently made shots with a remarkable degree of difficulty. I dont know if he wouldve done those things well at the pro level, but he certainley isnt the guy you stick in the corner of the court to be a spot up shooter (the way Jimmer and JJ can). Unfortunatley that seemed to be all the Bobcats wanted to do with him. He wasnt a traditional player and it is very unfortunate that he didnt get much of an oppurtunity to do what made him special.