PDA

View Full Version : Great Kelly Interview

ZaggyStardust
04-11-2013, 05:04 PM
I don't see this posted anywhere so here you go. Great interview with Kelly by what looks to be his local TV Station. He talks a bit about his impending decision.

http://ow.ly/jYNGN

Malastein
04-11-2013, 05:36 PM
He sounded gone to me.

ID ZAGFAN
04-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Wonderful interview! I just love Kelly!

I want to echo Mark Few on the final Mark Few show. When Greg Heister (sporting an Alaskan Mountain Man beard) said that we should all send vibes to Kelly to return to Gu, Mark said (paraphrasing) "Send him vibes to be at peace with his decision."

Peace, Kelly, in making your decision.

ZaGranny!

ZagNative
04-11-2013, 05:54 PM
That was fun! Thanks for posting the link, Zaggy.

DixieZag
04-11-2013, 06:08 PM
I can't watch the video right now but thanks so much for posting it.

The very few times that Kelly has discussed the decision, it sounded to me like he was pretty set on going if the chance to be a decent first rounder was there.

Heard him talk about his goal being playing in the NBA and very little about how tough it would be to leave GU.

Regardless, he is a thoughtful person so I think he will make a thoughful decision, about which, he should find peace and that is my wish for him also.

jimmy b
04-11-2013, 08:35 PM
I can't watch the video right now but thanks so much for posting it.

The very few times that Kelly has discussed the decision, it sounded to me like he was pretty set on going if the chance to be a decent first rounder was there.

Heard him talk about his goal being playing in the NBA and very little about how tough it would be to leave GU.

Regardless, he is a thoughtful person so I think he will make a thoughful decision, about which, he should find peace and that is my wish for him also.

that is my takeaway, along with opinion that he's more articulate than the newscasters.

2wiceright
04-11-2013, 09:26 PM
I really think based only on that interview (and the fact he hasn't yet declared) that it is strictly a business decision based on where he and his father think he will go in the draft this year (versus the benefits of staying and enjoying another year of college, improving his game, etc.). What may have seemed to some that he's decided to go already (I think) was he didn't answer the question the way some would have liked of possibly staying for "unfinished business" as some kids say (as in I'm coming back to win a National Championship).

I really believe it is strictly business, and he and his dad are talking to GM's and testing the waters. I have to be realistic and say I hope he goes (I'd hate for things not to work out) but I'm holding on to an optimistic 30% chance he comes back for his senior year (the thinking being IMHO), he may not be a lottery pick and his dad and him decide there is a chance he may fall short of the 16-20 sweet spot his dad mentioned earlier in the year as it was "their line in the sand" so to speak (per a Greg Heister interview).

DixieZag
04-11-2013, 09:46 PM
I really think based only on that interview (and the fact he hasn't yet declared) that it is strictly a business decision based on where he and his father think he will go in the draft this year (versus the benefits of staying and enjoying another year of college, improving his game, etc.). What may have seemed to some that he's decided to go already (I think) was he didn't answer the question the way some would have liked of possibly staying for "unfinished business" as some kids say (as in I'm coming back to win a National Championship).

I really believe it is strictly business, and he and his dad are talking to GM's and testing the waters. I have to be realistic and say I hope he goes (I'd hate for things not to work out) but I'm holding on to an optimistic 30% chance he comes back for his senior year (the thinking being IMHO), he may not be a lottery pick and his dad and him decide there is a chance he may fall short of the 16-20 sweet spot his dad mentioned earlier in the year as it was "their line in the sand" so to speak (per a Greg Heister interview).

Good post, from what ilttle I have heard it is simply an economic argument and I haven't heard the usual "but I love it here so much that it will be a tough call" - - which, along with "unfinished business" as the almost boilerplate comment before the zip off.

The only danger to his thinking is that he may feel assured that a team around 14-20 has nearly guaranteed they will draft him if available and that causes him to leave - - the NBA draft process is such that no team really wants to show their hand early, and even if they are sincere they may be surprised that someone is still available during their pick and go with someone else - - leaving Kelly dependent on another team that may not have shown interest that high.

I am overthinking the whole thing. I am assuming he is gone to avoid the hurt and leaving only but pleasant surprise as an option.

zagporvida
04-11-2013, 10:01 PM
After hearing this he is gone I feel. Thanks for being part of a great year Kelly!

2wiceright
04-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Good post, from what ilttle I have heard it is simply an economic argument and I haven't heard the usual "but I love it here so much that it will be a tough call" - - which, along with "unfinished business" as the almost boilerplate comment before the zip off.

The only danger to his thinking is that he may feel assured that a team around 14-20 has nearly guaranteed they will draft him if available and that causes him to leave - - the NBA draft process is such that no team really wants to show their hand early, and even if they are sincere they may be surprised that someone is still available during their pick and go with someone else - - leaving Kelly dependent on another team that may not have shown interest that high.

I am overthinking the whole thing. I am assuming he is gone to avoid the hurt and leaving only but pleasant surprise as an option.

I totally agree with your thinking DixieZag! Lets just hope he either comes back for his senior year or gets taken as a lottery pick- putting a lot of minds at ease!!!

BobZag
04-12-2013, 09:44 AM
I got no indication either way. 50/50, I'd say.

Nice find, Stardust.

stevet75
04-12-2013, 10:11 AM
He's an accounting major. He will go, he is too logical not to see the $ advantage.

ZaggyStardust
04-12-2013, 11:58 AM
I got no indication either way. 50/50, I'd say.

Nice find, Stardust.

I got the same impression. I would tend to also think he's gone but I didn't feel he tipped his hand at all.

Malastein
04-12-2013, 12:32 PM
The question about having unfinished business in the tournament, Kelly said tersely "a little." Didn't sound like he felt he has a lot to prove. Just my 2 cents. Hope he returns!

Zagger
04-13-2013, 04:05 AM
Nice interview. Kelly's a smart guy. He'll do what's best all around. If he stays at GU I'd guess it would be due to his not feeling that he was ready for NBA life. Kelly doesn't strike me as being someone who is in a hurry to do things (look what a year 'off' has done for him). So .... who knows? I give his stay/go chances 50/50. I'm eager to hear the reasons for his decision one way or the other. I think his reasons will be very thoughtful and fitting.

bigblahla
04-13-2013, 06:15 AM
Have never addressed this subject to a great degree.

Kelly would benefit from staying and he would be a better NBA player in doing so but.....

NBA GM's seem to be a fickle bunch and I haven't got a clue as to what floats their boats.

I do not understand the thought process that he can hurt his draft position by remaining at GU and becoming an even better player.

I do understand that he can earn $1,000,000+ next season by entering the draft where his professional career has an earning limitation based on the number of years he is under contract.

Then I ask myself this. Will a young man who is working on a Masters Degree in accounting with this type of income potential ever have to worry about money again? No!

KO is a free spirit and he will do what he thinks is right for him and honestly I don't think it will be about the money. It will be whether or not he feels he is ready for the change.

Like the rest of us I hope he comes back just so we can watch him get even better at playing the game we all love.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Birddog
04-13-2013, 11:04 AM
In an article that was linked on this board some months ago it was stated that the Olynyks are friends with the General Manager of the Knicks. They also have ties to the Raptors according to a couple other articles linked here. I don't really think the Olynyks have a shortage of resources to help them in this decision. In fact, I'd say their resources are much better than the average family looking at an NBA future. I have no doubt that they will make a well researched and well thought out decision.

CB4
04-14-2013, 08:39 AM
These interviewers are horrendous. Kelly's great though.

Dogtownkid
04-14-2013, 10:35 AM
My laptop is having some issues with sound. I never know whether I'll get sound on clips like this, so it was great that my laptop came through.

He really does sound like an intelligent guy.

ZagsGoZags
04-15-2013, 01:39 PM
I can't believe a 'local' newscaster calls us

Gone-Zawga

Marcus
04-16-2013, 02:02 PM
http://www.edmontonexaminer.com/2013/04/16/gonzaga-basketball-mastermind-brings-coaches-camp-and-players-clinic-to-edmonton

Not an article directly with Kelly but talks a lot about his year and his redshirt.