• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

#10 on yahoos best gms of year

I know, I assumed Butler too.....but the truth hurts.....

10. Wichita State shocks Gonzaga
    Why it was memorable: Wichita State launched its surprising Final Four run with a brilliant shooting display that felled the West Region's top seed. For nearly seven minutes late in the second half, the ninth-seeded Shockers did not miss a single shot, a run that included five critical 3-pointers. That shooting barrage turned a seven-point deficit into a 76-70 win that felled a Gonzaga team that entered the NCAA tournament ranked No. 1 in the nation. Wichita State went on to defeat La Salle and Ohio State to become the fifth team seeded ninth or higher to make the Final Four.
  • kclubfounder
    Zag for Life
    • Aug 2007

The truth hurts?

The truth that WSU got insanely incredibly once in a lifetime crazy hot and squeaked out a victory as a result? And in their other 3 wins (including wins against Pitt and Ohio State) they kicked butt and took names without getting freaking crazy hot (AKA lucky)? Then WSU lost to the team virtually everyone considered to be the best team when that team (Louisville) pulled a rabbit out of a hat?

That doesn't hurt to me. It makes me feel better that it is acknowledged that because WSU got crazy hot they somehow managed to knock out the best team in the region in a wild game.

Comment

• MDABE80
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

"For nearly seven minutes late in the second half, the ninth-seeded Shockers did not miss a single shot, a run that included five critical 3-pointers". < ----even if the shots were contested (they were)...nobody survives this type of shooting.

What lousy luck.

Comment

• HOOTER
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

I guess the consensus is that Wichita State just got lucky.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HOOTER View Post
          I guess the consensus is that Wichita State just got lucky.
          Consensus perhaps, not unanimity. There are some clear thinkers here.

Comment

• MDABE80
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

When luck meets talent, good things happen. It surely did THAT night.
            Some seem to want to keep reliving it. Not sure why since there is nothing logical that might gain something.
            As far I'm concerned, this past season was successful but is now in the books. Lets make an effort to look forward to the next. Psychologically mired in the past doesn't change one thing. The future is where better things are...

Comment

• spike_jr
              Banned
              • Nov 2009

But those that ignore the mistakes of the past are destined to repeat them in the future........ Just saying........

Comment

• Marcus
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by spike_jr View Post
                But those that ignore the mistakes of the past are destined to repeat them in the future........ Just saying........
                True, but, we as message board posters did not make these mistakes nor do we have any effect on what happens to the team in the future.

I'm with you Abe, the loss hurt and was tough to deal with but it's over and done with. The season was still a really fun one for me as a fan. I am now looking forward to the next version of the team I love.

Comment

• Ekrub
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2009

This past season was kind of like the mariners 2001 season for me. Sucks that we didn't make more of a splash in the postseason but I will always remember how good this team was.

Comment

• webspinnre
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ekrub View Post
                    This past season was kind of like the mariners 2001 season for me. Sucks that we didn't make more of a splash in the postseason but I will always remember how good this team was.
                    Excellent comparison.
                    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• UberZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Yeah, just hope that what followed for the Mariners does not happen to the Zags!
                      If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• kclubfounder
                        Zag for Life
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by UberZagFan View Post
                        Yeah, just hope that what followed for the Mariners does not happen to the Zags!
                        Don't hire Bill Bavasi and I think we'll be OK.

Comment

• sittingon50
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

At this point I'm having a hard time believing Jack Z. is any better.
                          But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• webspinnre
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kclubfounder View Post
                            Don't hire Bill Bavasi and I think we'll be OK.
                            +rep

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                            At this point I'm having a hard time believing Jack Z. is any better.
                            While I agree that Z might not be the solution or awesome, there's no way he's as bad as Bavasi was. Mixed bag on trading, but a couple of really good ones (plus the terrible Fister deal). More importantly, when he got here the farm system was absolutely barren. Now it's top 10 in the bigs, which is a massive improvement. When it was Bavasi, we were old and bad. At least now we're closer to young and bad (and not as bad).
                            I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• montanazag88
                              Kennel Club Alum
                              • Sep 2007

And this is precisely how mediocrity shuts the door on progress..

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                              When luck meets talent, good things happen. It surely did THAT night.
                              Some seem to want to keep reliving it. Not sure why since there is nothing logical that might gain something.
                              As far I'm concerned, this past season was successful but is now in the books. Lets make an effort to look forward to the next. Psychologically mired in the past doesn't change one thing. The future is where better things are...
                              The future is where the past is destined to be repeated when Polyanna loses her drive to confront the woes of society and confines herself to "others just get lucky."

One should NEVER accept one's ability to change one's bad luck or another's good luck. I refuse to be a contented defeatist and the Zags improvement in defense in '13 proves Few and company are capable of addressing "run-ins" with luck.....but have a ways to go. On that note, the best discussions on this board since the dreaded run-in with bad luck, IMO, INCLUDE

- conversation about improving our competition during the season
                              - defending a hot shooting team (not just 3-point defense)
                              - recruiting taller, more athletic guards

The future seems to be brighter when discussing improvements, but also in keeping fresh the sour taste of defeat at the hands of the so called lucky. One would think this would allow us to get back to "lucky column" ourselves.
                              montanazag88
                              P....A....TIENCE!

Comment

Working...
                              X