PDA

View Full Version : #10 on yahoos best gms of year

jazzdelmar
04-11-2013, 12:57 PM
I know, I assumed Butler too.....but the truth hurts.....

10. Wichita State shocks Gonzaga
Why it was memorable: Wichita State launched its surprising Final Four run with a brilliant shooting display that felled the West Region's top seed. For nearly seven minutes late in the second half, the ninth-seeded Shockers did not miss a single shot, a run that included five critical 3-pointers. That shooting barrage turned a seven-point deficit into a 76-70 win that felled a Gonzaga team that entered the NCAA tournament ranked No. 1 in the nation. Wichita State went on to defeat La Salle and Ohio State to become the fifth team seeded ninth or higher to make the Final Four.

kclubfounder
04-11-2013, 03:31 PM
The truth hurts?

The truth that WSU got insanely incredibly once in a lifetime crazy hot and squeaked out a victory as a result? And in their other 3 wins (including wins against Pitt and Ohio State) they kicked butt and took names without getting freaking crazy hot (AKA lucky)? Then WSU lost to the team virtually everyone considered to be the best team when that team (Louisville) pulled a rabbit out of a hat?

That doesn't hurt to me. It makes me feel better that it is acknowledged that because WSU got crazy hot they somehow managed to knock out the best team in the region in a wild game.

MDABE80
04-11-2013, 03:48 PM
"For nearly seven minutes late in the second half, the ninth-seeded Shockers did not miss a single shot, a run that included five critical 3-pointers". < ----even if the shots were contested (they were)...nobody survives this type of shooting.

What lousy luck.

HOOTER
04-11-2013, 06:16 PM
I guess the consensus is that Wichita State just got lucky.

jazzdelmar
04-11-2013, 06:32 PM
I guess the consensus is that Wichita State just got lucky.

Consensus perhaps, not unanimity. There are some clear thinkers here.

MDABE80
04-11-2013, 07:28 PM
When luck meets talent, good things happen. It surely did THAT night.
Some seem to want to keep reliving it. Not sure why since there is nothing logical that might gain something.
As far I'm concerned, this past season was successful but is now in the books. Lets make an effort to look forward to the next. Psychologically mired in the past doesn't change one thing. The future is where better things are...

spike_jr
04-11-2013, 09:49 PM
But those that ignore the mistakes of the past are destined to repeat them in the future........ Just saying........

Marcus
04-12-2013, 06:10 AM
But those that ignore the mistakes of the past are destined to repeat them in the future........ Just saying........

True, but, we as message board posters did not make these mistakes nor do we have any effect on what happens to the team in the future.

I'm with you Abe, the loss hurt and was tough to deal with but it's over and done with. The season was still a really fun one for me as a fan. I am now looking forward to the next version of the team I love.

Ekrub
04-12-2013, 06:36 AM
This past season was kind of like the mariners 2001 season for me. Sucks that we didn't make more of a splash in the postseason but I will always remember how good this team was.

webspinnre
04-12-2013, 06:55 AM
This past season was kind of like the mariners 2001 season for me. Sucks that we didn't make more of a splash in the postseason but I will always remember how good this team was.

Excellent comparison.

UberZagFan
04-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Yeah, just hope that what followed for the Mariners does not happen to the Zags!

kclubfounder
04-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Yeah, just hope that what followed for the Mariners does not happen to the Zags!

Don't hire Bill Bavasi and I think we'll be OK.

sittingon50
04-12-2013, 07:57 PM
At this point I'm having a hard time believing Jack Z. is any better.

webspinnre
04-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Don't hire Bill Bavasi and I think we'll be OK.

+rep

At this point I'm having a hard time believing Jack Z. is any better.

While I agree that Z might not be the solution or awesome, there's no way he's as bad as Bavasi was. Mixed bag on trading, but a couple of really good ones (plus the terrible Fister deal). More importantly, when he got here the farm system was absolutely barren. Now it's top 10 in the bigs, which is a massive improvement. When it was Bavasi, we were old and bad. At least now we're closer to young and bad (and not as bad).

montanazag88
04-13-2013, 08:50 AM
When luck meets talent, good things happen. It surely did THAT night.
Some seem to want to keep reliving it. Not sure why since there is nothing logical that might gain something.
As far I'm concerned, this past season was successful but is now in the books. Lets make an effort to look forward to the next. Psychologically mired in the past doesn't change one thing. The future is where better things are...

The future is where the past is destined to be repeated when Polyanna loses her drive to confront the woes of society and confines herself to "others just get lucky."

One should NEVER accept one's ability to change one's bad luck or another's good luck. I refuse to be a contented defeatist and the Zags improvement in defense in '13 proves Few and company are capable of addressing "run-ins" with luck.....but have a ways to go. On that note, the best discussions on this board since the dreaded run-in with bad luck, IMO, INCLUDE

- conversation about improving our competition during the season
- defending a hot shooting team (not just 3-point defense)
- recruiting taller, more athletic guards

The future seems to be brighter when discussing improvements, but also in keeping fresh the sour taste of defeat at the hands of the so called lucky. One would think this would allow us to get back to "lucky column" ourselves.

gamagin
04-13-2013, 09:54 AM
The irony of this kind of fame really is that we are forever carved in the annals of WSC lore and Division 1 history. We are the victim, the epilogue, without which WSC could not finish this amazing, epic, basketball story.

Forever and ever.

MDABE80
04-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Other no 1 seeds haven't reach the sweet 16 as well. While it is true, our defeat in the round of 32 seemed to have gotten lots of attention from the media, we are just the most recent. Sure, when other teams do the same, some will say "they (insert team) did a Gonzaga". Not forever though..... but say it's goes on for a few years, what does it matter? Likely it doesn't. It might be a blight on us for a while, it'll fade. What solves the criticism is to perform. Everything will be forgotten and forgiven.

As for Montana's post, ask your self a few things.
1.Who says anyone accepts "mediocrity". Nobody does.......least of all ME.
2. What purpose does it serve to continue reliving the situation.
3. Talk about it on this board all we/you want, we don't have a say in anything. Nothing. So what's the point?
4. Does anyone think the kids don't feel bad? Of course the kids do. Everyone I've talked to simply has deepened their resolve. SO what's the point?
5. We on this board don't recruit the kids. We don't coach the kids day in and day out. We don't play the games. For the most part we no say in anything.
6. Finally why would we want to? Nobody here is doing anything with the program except watch the games on comment. OK....we lost a game on March 23rd.......so? 3 weeks has gone by and some still dwell on something that we have no connection to except having gone to GU (not all) .
7. Some of us make it a point to get to know the kids and chat with them and encourage them. Some, therefore are acquainted with their feeling about their successes and failures. Even though we might feel attached to the program we really have nothing to do with choices made by staff or kids........or much at all.

None of those kids and surely none on this board accept defeat well. Nobody advocates mediocrity. We surely do hope for the best in the future. Nobody has influence in the defeats though.
The season in now OVER. The future of the program in surely not our hands either. We have hope. We have new faces to encourage.
3 key kids likely we won't see playing again....not here anyway.
We hope the best for their futures. We cannot influence their pasts.

Balance , working with wins and losses is to be encouraged. So is perspective. To continue harping on weaks spots or unanticipated losses won't change them nor will harping influence any part of the past. It's time to move on. Nothing but the future awaits us. I chose to focus on the future.

The media choses topics that might direct focus to stories that might sell. SOmetimes they tell us what to think about. If accepted or encouraged, the media continues. SO? As I said, we're not the only no 1's to go under early. We won't be the last. The pick their topics. SO? We move on unfettered by opinions from those who've never set one foot on this campus.......take it for what it's worth........but we have no burden to shed. All we can do is move on to another fun season. There can be only one No.1 and that's rare......by definition. Celebrate the success of the kids in the upcoming season. Let the dead continue to bury the dead if they want. Me? I know we have great future campaigns and much joy to be seen.

Zagger
04-13-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm just bummed ..... that it'll be 6-7 whole months until the next Zags BB game!
Go Zags!

maynard g krebs
04-13-2013, 06:22 PM
I don't think a team getting hot collectively is simply "luck". I think teams get hot when a certain Gestalt happens, a collective confidence and ensuing rhythm develops that gets everything in a sort of synchronicity (overused cliche now, but can't think of a better term), and a flow develops where every pass is on time and on target, every read and cut are right and when shots come in a flow and start going in, everybody starts to believe everything they shoot is going in. And as visualization studies have proven, belief is a powerful factor in performance.

That's why you sometimes see teams go to what one commentator called a "magic level" where teams consistently perform over their heads for a game or sometimes for a few weeks. That's what I think we saw with Wichita. I think we saw it with the Zags in 99.

There's a reason they call it lightning in a bottle. It's fleeting and ephemeral and can't be taught. It happens rarely at the highest levels, yet it can happen in 4 on 4 pickup games in the Y played by relative strangers.

Hoopaholic
04-13-2013, 06:36 PM
I buy your general theory until I watch a seven foot center who had only shot 10 3 pointers all season fumble the pass almost drop the ball and then huck it towards the basket only to see it go in.......those I simply shake my head at it. Zone or no zone

TheGonzagaFactor
04-13-2013, 10:01 PM

The Mariners beat up on the entire league in the 2001 season. This year's Zags did not play, let alone beat any great teams so we will never know.

HOOTER
04-14-2013, 10:01 AM
This year's Zags did not play, let alone beat any great teams so we will never know.

You'll probably take heat for this but you're right. They beat some good teams, but no great teams that I can think of. In hindsight, the combination of dominating a mediocre league along with everyone else in the country losing is what gave them the top ranking and 1 seed. What happened to the Mariners likely won't happen to them though. I see no reason why they can't maintain this level of play into the distant future.