PDA

View Full Version : Power Forward Question/Pundits know nothing about Gonzaga

MTZag03
04-10-2013, 05:23 PM
So yeah, after reading some other posts where pundits break down GU, I have come to the conclusion that many of you have: This board has more collective knowledge of GU than all the sports journalists. The offending statement was of course talking about how we have Ryan Edwards coming in at center without mention of Karnowski, and how Edi is our big loss without mention of Hart. Pundits are just garbage.

So let's just throw out everything that we've read and have our own discussion.

I'm putting on my pundit hat and here's my $.02: Next years big question is the 4 spot, not the 5 even if KO leaves.

Dower's game is that of a PF, not a C. However, we have no effective backup to Karno, so Dower needs to save some energy to play C. So who do we go to? If we land Davis then he'll be the 4 for sure, and Dower will likely sub for both Karno and Davis.

However this brings up a less pressing question. Can Dower effectively defend as a PF? He always seems a step behind on the perimeter. Also offensively it seems to be his place as his game is much more like a forward.

Looking at our two known recruits in Edwards and Meikle, how will the frontcourt turn out? We're probably safer redshirting Edwards and playing Meikle next year given conditioning, allowing an extra player in at the 4 in certain situations. So then we have Karno and Dower at C, and ???/Davis and Dower at 4.

Does GU go small with Coleman at 3 and Nunez/Meikle at the 4?

Even with offseason conditioning, Karno will need relief, and it seems that Dower is the man. So please guys tell me what you think the answer to the 4 is.

That's about all I could come up with, but I really hope to hear from you guys. We certainly have better knowledge of our team than anyone that gets a paycheck for doing this.

zag67
04-10-2013, 06:22 PM
I think you are correct and the 64 thousand dollar question. So I think that the coaching staff is trying to fill that void as we speak.

GoZags
04-10-2013, 06:41 PM
So yeah, after reading some other posts where pundits break down GU, I have come to the conclusion that many of you have: This board has more collective knowledge of GU than all the sports journalists. The offending statement was of course talking about how we have Ryan Edwards coming in at center without mention of Karnowski, and how Edi is our big loss without mention of Hart. Pundits are just garbage.

So let's just throw out everything that we've read and have our own discussion.

I'm putting on my pundit hat and here's my $.02: Next years big question is the 4 spot, not the 5 even if KO leaves.

Dower's game is that of a PF, not a C. However, we have no effective backup to Karno, so Dower needs to save some energy to play C. So who do we go to? If we land Davis then he'll be the 4 for sure, and Dower will likely sub for both Karno and Davis.

However this brings up a less pressing question. Can Dower effectively defend as a PF? He always seems a step behind on the perimeter. Also offensively it seems to be his place as his game is much more like a forward.

Looking at our two known recruits in Edwards and Meikle, how will the frontcourt turn out? We're probably safer redshirting Edwards and playing Meikle next year given conditioning, allowing an extra player in at the 4 in certain situations. So then we have Karno and Dower at C, and ???/Davis and Dower at 4.

Does GU go small with Coleman at 3 and Nunez/Meikle at the 4?

Even with offseason conditioning, Karno will need relief, and it seems that Dower is the man. So please guys tell me what you think the answer to the 4 is.

That's about all I could come up with, but I really hope to hear from you guys. We certainly have better knowledge of our team than anyone that gets a paycheck for doing this.

The answer to the 4 will be a name that the board is currently unfamiliar with.

sittingon50
04-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Cmon GZ. I'm familiar with the name McHale.

(no, not the Navy)!

Reborn
04-10-2013, 08:12 PM
A very good thread,MTZag and some good questions. I totally agree with the pundits. Doug What's His Name really changed my mind on them, and most of the others. All their Big 10 talk and how they were going to dominate the tournament and maybe get 4 teams in the final 4. It turned out the 5th seeded Big 10 team was the team that made it to the final 4. I got sick and tired of hearing how Wisconsin and Ohio St were going to cream us if we got that far. I don't think I'll ever forget how they slammed GU. And it was completely underseverving. I wish I were Kelly Olynyk so I could come back to play for GU next season.

Anyway,back to the question of the 4. Unless Sam Dower goes through some kind of total transformation the way Kelly Olynyk did, I am very, very worried about the 4, and especially with Sam being a starter. He doesn't have the energy, or spirit to play at the level it takes to advance in the NCAA tournament. So little has been said about his play against Wichita St and it should have. For me its too late now. I don't know about any of the new guys, so I tend to think and hope like GoZags and hope there is someone out there that we don't know about yet. And honestly, I haven't given up on Sam totally. Maybe he can still be transformed. If we could get a center like Black from Memphis, I think that would be good. Im not thinking Pk is ready to start yet, but just get much more playing time. And if Kelly comes back I really believe He's a four.

WE have lost alot with Elias leaving now. He's been a Zag a long time and we've come to count on him in so many ways. And yet, I think we could use someone who could board like EH, but who has an outside shot. I think that that's becoming more and more expected now. A great team needs a guy who can shoot from the outside. At least from the elbow. Elias had no outside shot. And that is one thing that Sam does have. If Sam could somehow become the rebounder that Elias is, then I think he could really help.

In the end we have a lot to look forward to at the 4. It can be the surprise for next year that the 3 was this year. Mike Hart became an incredible 3, and gave the Zags so much. And if we could find a 4 like him, i would be so happy. It's not always about scoring. And yes. We will really miss Mike Hart. When looking for a new 4, Im hoping that we look to replace that toughness and desire that he had.

MickMick
04-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Throw Meikle in there.

Trial by fire.

Violette wasn't bad as a youngster.

WallaWallaZag
04-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Throw Meikle in there.

Trial by fire.

Violette wasn't bad as a youngster.

i'm thinking even as a freshman violette had quite a few pounds on the skin 'n bones meikle...

TexasZagFan
04-11-2013, 05:24 AM

:eek:

Impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jazzdelmar
04-11-2013, 07:25 AM

I certainly hope so.

MTZag03
04-11-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm hoping for a cryptic post from Abe re: the 4.

cjm720
04-11-2013, 08:51 AM
No way Meikle ever plays the 4 IMO. He's too skinny and much more suited as a 3 from the vids I've seen and descriptions I've read. Redshirt highly likely due to our depth at that position.

Davis would be huge and much needed. He'd start day 1, likely along with Dower with Karno and Stocks first off the bench (I have coleman starting at the 3).