PDA

View Full Version : where does KO fit on this list?

jazzdelmar
04-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Here's the latest from Chad Ford on where this year's NBA draft prospects stand:

IN THE DRAFT
Steven Adams, C, Fr., Pittsburgh
Adams told reporters after Pittsburgh's loss in the first round of the NCAA tournament that he had no intention of declaring for the draft. However, he reversed course and announced on Tuesday that he's in the draft. It's an interesting decision. On one hand, he's a likely first-round pick. He has NBA size and toughness and is an improving defender.

C.J. Aiken, PF, Jr., St. Joseph's
Aiken is a very athletic forward who can jump out of the gym and excels as a shot-blocker. Scouts have had him on their radar for a while, but his lack of progress as a perimeter player has frustrated them. While Aiken has the physical tools to excel as a 3, he just doesn't have the offensive game. He's a likely second-round pick to undrafted.

Anthony Bennett, F, Fr., UNLV
Bennett had, arguably, the best season of any freshman in the country in 2012-13. His unique inside-outside game allowed him to dominate as an offensive player. Bennett has the body of a NBA power forward and can score in multiple ways in the paint. Though he's a bit undersized as a four, his long wingspan and athletic ability allow him to compensate.

Lorenzo Brown, PG, Jr., N.C. State
Brown inspires a bit of a love/hate relationship among NBA scouts. He has great size for his position, is a good athlete and averaged more than seven assists per game this year. At times he can play like an obvious first-round pick. But his lack of consistency on the floor and his poor shooting percentages combined with several back-to-back disappointing seasons for his team give scouts pause.

Allen Crabbe, SG, Jr., Cal
When Crabbe gets it going he's one of the best shooters in the country. He has unlimited range on his jumper and can really let it fly. Unfortunately, he doesn't always have it going and can appear disinterested at times, especially on defense. Combine that with just average athleticism and Crabbe's more of a late first-round prospect.

Archie Goodwin, SG, Fr., Kentucky
Goodwin came into the season ranked as a potential lottery pick. He has great speed and is fearless taking it to the rack. Early in the season, Kentucky head coach John Calipari compared him a young Russell Westbrook. However, Goodwin's faults began to eclipse his strengths as the season wore on. His shot selection could be atrocious, his jump shot was flat and he struggled with toughness on both sides of the ball. He's now projected as a mid to late first-round pick. The upside is there, but teams will have to be patient with him.

Ricardo Ledo, G, Fr., Providence
Ledo sat out his freshman season and apparently isn't going to give the NCAA another shot to declare him ineligible. Ledo was ranked as the 21st-best high school prospect by ESPN last year and was considered by many scouts to be a potential first-rounder. He's an elite scorer who can hit shots from anywhere on the floor and some scouts project him as a point guard.

C.J. Leslie, F, Jr., North Carolina State
Leslie is an enigma to NBA scouts. Blessed with great length and athleticism, he's never quite been able to get over the hump with scouts despite putting up the solid numbers as both a sophomore and junior. He's been plagued with the idea of his upside and now that he's 21 and hasn't lived up to it, the bottom has started to fall out of his stock.

Amath M'Baye, SF, Jr., Oklahoma
M'Baye hasn't really been high on most scouting lists. He's a very thin small forward who lacks polish offensively. Right now he's more athlete than anything else. The fact that he's already 23 doesn't brighten the outlook that he'll ever be anything more. M'Baye holds a French passport so he doesn't have a lot to lose. He'll likely go undrafted but he should be picked up by a team in France.

Ben McLemore, G/F, Fr., Kansas
McLemore is the purest jump shooter in the country. He's a likely top-three pick, and in some scenarios in our Lottery Mock Draft, we having him going No. 1 overall. McLemore is also an elite athlete and has the potential to be a great defender. What he lacks is confidence. At times he can disappear or overly defer to other players. For teams wanting a go-to scorer and an alpha dog, he might not be the right choice. But if he overcomes that, he could be an NBA All-Star someday.

Tony Mitchell, F, So., North Texas
Mitchell began the season in our top 10. He showed big-time promise as a freshman and scouts expected him to dominate given that he plays in the Sun Belt. Instead, Mitchell regressed. He is a terrific rebounder and a great athlete, but his lack of progress on the offensive end, combined with the Mean Green's terrible performance (12-20 this season), have hurt his draft stock. He likely goes somewhere in the 20-40 range.

Eric Moreland, PF, Jr., Oregon State*
Moreland is a long, athletic big man who excels as a rebounder and shot blocker. However, he's still very raw offensively and he needs to add another 20 to 30 pounds of muscle to his frame. He'll be a late second-round project or undrafted if he decides to stay in the draft.

Victor Oladipo, SG, Jr., Indiana
Oladipo is the best perimeter defender in the country and an elite athlete who plays at a relentless pace. He's still a work in progress offensively, but he can guard three positions on the floor and is an elite finisher at the rim. His shooting has dramatically improved, as have his ballhandling skills, but they'll need to continue to improve for Oladipo to be a scorer at the next level. Look for him to go somewhere between No. 3 and No. 8 in the draft.

Marshawn Powell, F, Jr., Arkansas
Powell is a long, athletic forward who spent the season trying to make the transition from an undersized power forward to a small forward. But the 23-year-old still lacks the offensive polish of a small forward and the size and strength of an NBA power forward. He's a potential second-round pick, but it's more likely that he goes undrafted.

Russ Smith, SG, Jr., Louisville

Tony Snell, G/F, Jr., New Mexico*
Snell drew a lot of NBA buzz with his terrific, lights-out shooting performance in the Mountain West Conference tournament. When the long, athletic wing is on, it's easy to project him as a NBA 2-guard.

Adonis Thomas, F, So., Memphis
Thomas was considered a potential lottery pick coming out of high school, but an injury his freshman season combined with a lack of development during his sophomore campaign have caused his stock to plummet.

Deshaun Thomas, F, Jr., Ohio State
Thomas is an elite scorer who can do damage near the basket or on the perimeter. But he make scouts a little wary because of his lack of elite athletic ability, he's a 'tweener stuck between the 3 and the 4 and his indifference on the defensive end. He can put the ball in the bucket, but they'll want to see more than that if he's going to be a first-round prospect. He's a bubble first-rounder right now, in the 25-40 range.

B.J. Young, G, So., Arkansas
Young was poised to be a possible lottery pick at the start of the season. Teams loved his size, athleticism and scoring ability as a combo guard. However, Young struggled to live up to the promise of his freshman year. While his numbers are virtually identical across the board, his shooting percentages plummeted as a sophomore, and by the end of the season he was no longer in the starting lineup for Arkansas. Young is now considered a bubble first-rounder by scouts.

ONE FOOT IN THE DOOR
Trey Burke, PG, So., Michigan
Michael Carter-Williams, PG, So., Syracuse
Gorgui Dieng, C, Jr., Louisville
Jamaal Franklin, SG, Jr., San Diego State
Tim Hardaway Jr., G/F, Jr., Michigan
Alex Len, C, So., Maryland
Shabazz Muhammad, G/F, Fr., UCLA
Norvel Pelle, PF, prep school
Nerlens Noel, C, Fr., Kentucky
Kelly Olynyk, C, Jr., Gonzaga
Adreian Payne, PF, Jr., Michigan State

50-50
Kyle Anderson, F, Fr., UCLA
Isaiah Austin, PF, Fr., Baylor
Reggie Bullock, SG, Jr., North Carolina
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, SG, So., Georgia
C.J. Fair, F, Jr., Syracuse
P.J. Hairston, SG, So., North Carolina
Gary Harris, SG, Fr., Michigan State
Myck Kabongo, PG, Fr., Texas
Shane Larkin, PG, So., Miami
James Michael McAdoo, PF, So., North Carolina
Ray McCallum, PG, Jr., Detroit
Mitch McGary, F/C, Fr., Michigan
Doug McDermott, F, Jr., Creighton
Le'Bryan Nash, G/F, So., Oklahoma State
Otto Porter, F, So., Georgetown
Phil Pressey, PG, Jr., Missouri
Andre Roberson, F, Jr., Colorado
Glenn Robinson III, F, Fr., Michigan
Marcus Smart, G, Fr., Oklahoma State
Rasheed Sulaimon, SG, Fr., Duke
C.J. Wilcox, SG, Jr., Washington
Cody Zeller, F/C, So., Indiana

INTERNATIONAL
Alex Abrines, SG, Spain
Giannis Adetokunbo, F, Greece
Rudy Gobert, F, France
Mouhammadou Jaiteh, F, France
Sergey Karasev, SG, Russia
Lucas Nogueira, C, Brazil
Dario Saric, F, Croatia

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Oladipo, Bennett and McLemore will be drafted ahead of him for sure; Zeller just declared and he might get drafted ahead of Kelly, he shouldn't, but he may.

23dpg
04-10-2013, 08:36 AM
I think Kelly will fall a little in the draft. When it comes to team tryouts, his lack of athleticism will hurt his stock. What Kelly does best is play team basketball. I'm not saying he shouldn't be a lottery pick, I just don't think he will.

Hope I'm wrong.

MDABE80
04-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Not a lotto pick (there! I said it).
Hope KO comes back for another year.

maineblackbear
04-10-2013, 08:55 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/09/nba-draft-stock_n_3046158.html?utm_hp_ref=sports

Article claims Olynyk exposed, etc

I think it means he needs another year at the NCAA level :-)

(o.k. I don't really think so, he should take the money and run, thats what college is for, but it is interesting that this is the second or third place I have seen where his stock is declining . . .)

jazzdelmar
04-10-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm thinking past 20. Key is first round. Lottery is a pipe dream. Agree as players work out many less publicized ones will turn heads. Still, he is prob gone.

cjm720
04-10-2013, 10:02 AM
There's a math problem that too few entrants realize...that list alone totals 60 players, enought for round 1 and 2 in the draft. Many will not get drafted.

As far as KO, late lotto or just outside is my guess...15?

jazzdelmar
04-10-2013, 10:09 AM
There's a math problem that too few entrants realize...that list alone totals 60 players, enought for round 1 and 2 in the draft. Many will not get drafted.

As far as KO, late lotto or just outside is my guess...15?

Seniors not included either. Kelly needs a club to fall in love with him to get above 20, like the nitwits at Detroit did with Daye.

cjm720
04-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Seniors not included either. Kelly needs a club to fall in love with him to get above 20, like the nitwits at Detroit did with Daye.

Exactly...I do think a lot of clubs will fall in love with him though...who wouldn't want the next Dirk :)

hegotit!
04-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Any thoughts on why he has not declared yet? I realize it's a huge decision, but do you think the longer he waits the more likely he will come back for next year?

ehk 21
04-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Walterfootball.com is a website that has a link to dozens of mock NBA drafts on its homepage. I don't think any particular mock draft is informative, but you can get a sense of trendlines when you look at all of the mock drafts out there.

If you examine mock drafts that were produced in March, you'll notice that KO was pretty much slotted to go somewhere between the 15th and 23rd positions of the draft. If you examine mock drafts generated in the last ten days or so, KO is suddenly slotted to go somewhere between 7th and 17th. Again, none of these mock drafts mean much on their face, but they do indicate a trend, a sense of the momentum. If you take the consensus of mock drafts, rather than the prognostications of one or two in particular, you can actually get a reasonably accurate sense of where a player will go in the draft. I hope KO stays at GU, but an educated guess suggests otherwise.

The other GU news from the mock drafts is the position of Elias. For most of the past basketball season the consensus of all the mocks was that he would be a mid-to-late second round pick. In the last couple of weeks, it's been difficult to find Elias listed in any mocks at all--he's all but fallen off the board completely. His end-of-year performance, which explains what happened to the Zags in the tournament better than just about any other factor, unfortunately had a pretty damaging impact on his draft status. I hope some team will snag him near the end of the second round, but that is looking less likely.

DixieZag
04-10-2013, 03:03 PM

And another valid point is that no matter what a team says to a player or about a player, I wouldn't trust one team - only a few or more agreeing to interest.

The NBA guys are notorious for head fakes in who they are going to draft but will really have a few whom if they are still available they will draft ahead of them. If that team that "fell in love" goes an unexpected direction, it leaves hope in only those teams that had no interest or see him as not as good a pick as the guys they have ahead.

Thet is when a player plummets.

Still, seems more realistic that he is thought of middlish first round b/c of consensus and the fact that there ain't a ton of 7 footers laying around and even fewer that have his skill set.

I am just assuming he is gone and will have to deal with the wonderful surprise if he stays.

MickMick
04-10-2013, 03:27 PM
We watched him all year. Anyone with a clue knows that KO is better than most of the names on that list.

jazzdelmar
04-10-2013, 03:35 PM
We watched him all year. Anyone with a clue knows that KO is better than most of the names on that list.

What percent of those listed have you seen play at all, much less significant minutes?

Is he better than all but 20? 25?

combatcorpsmangulaw
04-10-2013, 03:44 PM
He can run the floor; hit free throws (a lost art); has an outside shot; plays intelligently; can defend and knows when the pass or shoot.

That's a wicked combination for any Pro team to ignore. Point Guards and 2 Guards come along a lot more often than a 7 footer w/ Kelly's credentials.

My guess KO goes in the first 15 picks. He's a heck of lot better than Austin Daye coming out of college.

Ezag
04-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Kelly O was playing pick up ball last Friday at lunch time in the fitness center....if he was doing that he's not playing for the team any more...

Birddog
04-10-2013, 03:55 PM
I think Kelly is drafted right on the cusp of the Lottery, maybe in maybe out.

bostonzagfan
04-10-2013, 10:08 PM
i'd be shocked if ko goes in the lottery. with the 2014 draft so loaded, lotto teams are much better off drafting project bigs with high potential and low floors than a guy like ko

titopoet
04-11-2013, 06:54 AM
1. Number of franchise players in the draft...none.
2. Number of consistent allstars... a couple.
3. Number of players who can contribute right way ... maybe a dozen, Kelly if he goes is in that range.
4. Players that can play the stretch 4 or Stretch 5 (the hardest player to find ... a big guy with ball handling, shooting, faceup game and passing) ... two Bennett and Kelly O

Kelly offers a play right away player who can stretch the floor for others to drive. He is a solid backup for an NBA team in a weak draft. The GMs know his strengths and weakness wells. No will draft him thinking they are getting a franchise player who will turn around a team. 15-20 is a good guess and probably end up on a contender. Many of the draft will be trying trade these draft chooses to position for next year's mammoth draft where their could be at least 2-4 franchise players and several superstar immediate impact players... Parker, Wiggins, Mario Hezonja, Randle, Gordon.

cjm720
04-11-2013, 07:10 AM
i'd be shocked if ko goes in the lottery. with the 2014 draft so loaded, lotto teams are much better off drafting project bigs with high potential and low floors than a guy like ko

Low floor? That's hilarious...in one year he turned himself into a first team all-american. I think you highly underestimate him! Of course, you're probably just comparing him to other, younger kids that play the same position. To me, he offers a unique skill set that not many players have, let alone a center.