• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Deadspin: "Which Pundit Sucks The Least At Picking NCAA Tournament Games?"

I thought this was fun, from Deadspin. Picked it up from this Goodman tweet:
    eff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS 22m

Well, at least @GottliebShow beat someone. Then again, it was just @colincowherd: http://deadspin.com/which-pundit-suc...ment-471807464
    The worst brackets belonged to Colin Cowherd, Michael Wilbon, Andy Katz, and Doug Gottlieb. Cowherd and Wilbon both got less than half their picks right, while all four of these pundits would have lost you more than 20% of your money had you bet on their picks.
    Here are our final 2013 March Madness bracket rankings. We scored 32 pundits from ESPN, Yahoo, Sports Illustrated, and CBS Sports, throwing in President Obama for good fun. For a recap of the the first two rounds, see this post.

The first table ranks the pundits based on their average “Yield” of their 63 total picks, and the second table ranks the pundits based on their "Hit Rate." As a reminder, the Yield measures the average payout, using Vegas futures odds, had you placed $1 bets on each of the pundit’s selections. This approach fits well with March Madness, since it mimics bracket scoring systems that award extra points for predicting upsets. Hit Rate is simply the % of predictions that were correct. Given the large number of upsets this year, the rankings by Hit Rate and Yield turned out very different.
    • Feb 2007

Obama did significantly better than Gottlieb. Best thing about the tourney being over? Yup, you guessed it. We don't have to listen to that boob again until next year.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• ZagNative
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Interesting that Obama's results were identical to Bilas'.

Comment

• cbbfanatic
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Aug 2007

conversely, cowherd KILLED it this year with his NFL ATS picks. unbelievable run he had this football season.

college hoops wagering... not his forte (is it really anyone's though?)

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by cbbfanatic View Post
          conversely, cowherd KILLED it this year with his NFL ATS picks. unbelievable run he had this football season.

college hoops wagering... not his forte (is it really anyone's though?)
          Very true. I always made sure to catch his Blazin' 5.
          What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• UberZagFan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
            Interesting that Obama's results were identical to Bilas'.
            Have you ever seen them both in the same room at the same time? Didn't think so.

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
              Bleeds Bulldog Blue
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by UberZagFan View Post
              Have you ever seen them both in the same room at the same time? Didn't think so.
              How about on the same aircraft carrier?

You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• Mojo13
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Nov 2012

I ended up winning my pool last night with Louisville's win. Funny as Louisville was the only pick for the Final Four I got right. The pool was only 20 people but a decent buy-in ($100) so it was a good payoff.

In an attempt to avoid melting my brain trying to make these picks I typically just find someone smarter than me and copy their picks. It paid off this time as I took Nate Silver's backet (he is a somewhat famous statistication).

There was allot wrong, but he picked the winner and prevented me blowing my bracket on high risk picks.

Guys like Colin Cowheard are the worst - he knows nothing of college basketball (and he admits it). He admitted a couple weeks ago he didnt know who Andrew Wiggins is. He is a football guy and not much else.

Comment

• UberZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
                  How about on the same aircraft carrier?

Most certainly photoshopped. Nice try, AR.

No Foo for You!

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by UberZagFan View Post
                    Most certainly photoshopped. Nice try, AR.
                    Perhaps, but only if ESPN was doing the photoshopping. Objection denied, Uber.

Each week Dick Vitale talks about the sport he loves, college basketball.
                    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

Working...
                    X