PDA

View Full Version : insider scoop on zags 13-14

jazzdelmar
04-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Recruit and return: Gonzaga
By Paul Biancardi
ESPN RecruitingNation

Sixty-eight teams made the NCAA tournament, but each of them knows that if it wants to return, it needs to recruit well. As teams are eliminated, RecruitingNation is looking at what each squad is losing, what kind of recruiting class it is bringing in and what that means for its hopes of making it back to the Big Dance. Here is a look at Gonzaga.

Who it loses: Junior center Kelly Olynyk has made himself into a player who is rising up the charts in the eyes of NBA scouts and is now considered a potential lottery pick. As a result, the Bulldogs are likely to lose the 7-footer early to the NBA draft. Meanwhile, senior forward Elias Harris will graduate and will be sorely missed. He was extremely dependable in the frontcourt with his scoring, rebounding and defense, and he provided the Zags with senior leadership and intangibles all season long. Senior Guy Landry Edi gave the team a good defender and athlete and will also be missed via graduation.

Who it adds: With Harris graduating and the likelihood that Olynyk goes pro, coach Mark Few has a pair of future replacements in the recruiting pipeline. Center Ryan Edwards provides the size inside at 7 foot, and with his mammoth presence he is a hard target to score over. At this point in time he doesn't have great mobility or conditioning, so he'll have to work on those areas this summer before he enters school. Edwards is true center with great size, good work ethic and plenty of upside over the course of time. Gonzaga's other 2013 signee, power forward Luke Meikle, is a difficult matchup for opposing bigs because of his face-up jumper that opens the floor for his teammates to drive, isolate or post up. He will be able to play on the perimeter, trail a fast break or operate in the pick-and-pop. Gonzaga will also add a pair of transfers in 2013-14. Former Providence guard Gerard Coleman should be eligible to start the season, while Louisville transfer Angel Nunez is expected to be eligible for second semester next year. Coleman averaged 13.2 points per game as a sophomore at Providence and will have two years of eligibility remaining at Gonzaga. Nunez played sparingly as a freshman and didn't play any regular season contests this fall before transferring. He is expected to have 2 1/2 years of eligibility remaining.

What it means for next season: When you lose your top two leading scorers, you are supposed to struggle the following season. But with the return of big men Sam Dower and Przemek Karnowski up front and the addition of Edwards and Meikle, the Bulldogs should again have a size and skill advantage on their WCC foes and hold their own on a national stage. And with Gary Bell Jr., Kevin Pangos and David Stockton at the controls in the backcourt, they will be one of the favorites along with BYU to win the WCC.

Trending: Down. But only because there's nowhere else to go after finishing the regular season ranked No. 1 and likely losing a first-round pick early to the NBA. With Few at the helm, expect this team to still be making noise come March, as has become typical at Gonzaga.

hooter73
04-09-2013, 11:21 AM
The loss of Hart will be as big as KO or Harris, but will continue to go overlooked.

RenoZag
04-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Maybe overlooked by some, but Hart was getting major props from national level commentators as the "glue guy" and I think the fan base knows how much he meant to the 2012-13 edition of Few's Crew.

UberZagFan
04-09-2013, 12:59 PM
This guy loses a lot of credibility in mentioning the loss of GLE but failing to mention the loss of Hart. Maybe he failed to watch the last two months of the season or failed to even check the box scores. GLE was missed long before his expected graduation.

So then onto to his comments about the incoming bigs. Uber doesn't know even about Edwards to comment but has read from some sources cited on this board that he is a ways away from contributing. And Meikle, who comes from Uber's backyard, could develop into a nice player down the road is several years away from contributing on a Top25 program. That's no knock on him. He could really use a RS to build muscle/weight and further develop post moves.

Section 116
04-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Zags at #21

From the USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/04/09/forecasting-the-ncaa-basketball-top-25-in-2013-14/2061989/

Just noticed this as posted in another thread-CDC's expect the Zags to be overlooked....

bartruff1
04-10-2013, 03:40 AM
Can't wait to see the new players and the core returning... I don't know how they do it...but they do it every year....we are so spoiled...

DixieZag
04-10-2013, 05:23 AM
Can't wait to see the new players and the core returning... I don't know how they do it...but they do it every year....we are so spoiled...

Absolutley correct, we are ridiculously spoiled.

As was noted in that CBS special on the Zags, most feel they should have had a bad year at some point, like just about every other team, they simply have not. We often fail to note how wonderful it is that we haven't had that.

I often wonder if I had to pick a choice about going deeper in the tournament one year outweighs going every year. I lean toward the first one.

bartruff1
04-10-2013, 06:06 AM
Absolutley correct, we are ridiculously spoiled.

As was noted in that CBS special on the Zags, most feel they should have had a bad year at some point, like just about every other team, they simply have not. We often fail to note how wonderful it is that we haven't had that.

I often wonder if I had to pick a choice about going deeper in the tournament one year outweighs going every year. I lean toward the first one.

I jump up and down and piss my pants every Selection Sunday just like the teams and fans that have never been....scares hell out of my dog.

IMHO being in the Dance is like playing Hold Them....if you have a chip and a chair ...you have a chance...you are in the game...

It's the journey for me...

kitzbuel
04-10-2013, 06:24 AM
This guy loses a lot of credibility in mentioning the loss of GLE but failing to mention the loss of Hart. Maybe he failed to watch the last two months of the season or failed to even check the box scores. GLE was missed long before his expected graduation.

So then onto to his comments about the incoming bigs. Uber doesn't know even about Edwards to comment but has read from some sources cited on this board that he is a ways away from contributing. And Meikle, who comes from Uber's backyard, could develop into a nice player down the road is several years away from contributing on a Top25 program. That's no knock on him. He could really use a RS to build muscle/weight and further develop post moves.

He completely fails to mention Karnowski stepping in behind KO. Edwards most likely will not be providing any meaningful contribution and is pretty immaterial with Karno and Sam playing next year.