New impact players for 2013-14: when does hope expire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TravelinZag
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2012

New impact players for 2013-14: when does hope expire?

Abe, Spy, other optimists -- tell us when we should focus all hope on 2014 and beyond. Yes, good transfers happen; coaching carousel gives pause to even "committed" players; others waiting for 4/27 to know everyone leaving for the NBA/staying for another year; and, even in a media age, there's some talent under the radar.

But: 1. About half of Goodman's transfer list last year never landed, and the majority of those that did traded down in bb programs; 2. many transfers (and most JUCOs) need at least a year to adjust; and 3. most of the major program coaching changes and player NBA decisions are already known or can reasonably be inferred.

Granted, the decisions of 18 to 20 year old young men about their futures can be an enormous weight. But isn't there a date (May 1st, 15th, 30th) when a talented player should know where he wants to play next year (and probably should be planning to move and enroll for summer school)? And shouldn't recruiters already know who they want from the dwindling menu?

Absent, additional help, I believe the Zags can have a very good season next year if current players develop and mesh. And I will concede that the possible results (in terms of W-L and a trip to the Dance) are enhanced because they play in a very weak conference.

I would wish for more, but don't see it happening without additional players who will have an immediate impact.

And I'd like to know, "What is the date when that hope becomes foolish?"
  • Zagdawg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Hope is never foolish and should not be tied to a specific date.

That is like asking a parent -- "When should I give up on my child?"

Hope and optimism should never go away if it is something that you love.

I love me some Zag basketball --- it is part of my family.

Comment

• TravelinZag
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2012

Agree philosophically. But hope here was for more help for the 2013-14 season. The close of registration this fall all but extinguishes that hope officially. Practically, coaches need to know what they have (and lack) before that. And fans need to adjust their expectations, and extend the timeline horizons of their hopes at some point. The optimists have said, "Not yet," and a glance toward Tulane is an example of why. I just asked,
      "Realistically, when?"

Comment

• cjm720
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

By mid-September...Euro help.
        Go Zags!!!

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
          Banned
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TravelinZag View Post
          Abe, Spy, other optimists -- tell us when we should focus all hope on 2014 and beyond. Yes, good transfers happen; coaching carousel gives pause to even "committed" players; others waiting for 4/27 to know everyone leaving for the NBA/staying for another year; and, even in a media age, there's some talent under the radar.

But: 1. About half of Goodman's transfer list last year never landed, and the majority of those that did traded down in bb programs; 2. many transfers (and most JUCOs) need at least a year to adjust; and 3. most of the major program coaching changes and player NBA decisions are already known or can reasonably be inferred.

Granted, the decisions of 18 to 20 year old young men about their futures can be an enormous weight. But isn't there a date (May 1st, 15th, 30th) when a talented player should know where he wants to play next year (and probably should be planning to move and enroll for summer school)? And shouldn't recruiters already know who they want from the dwindling menu?

Absent, additional help, I believe the Zags can have a very good season next year if current players develop and mesh. And I will concede that the possible results (in terms of W-L and a trip to the Dance) are enhanced because they play in a very weak conference.

I would wish for more, but don't see it happening without additional players who will have an immediate impact.

And I'd like to know, "What is the date when that hope becomes foolish?"
          Until two weeks after the fall semester starts; I believe that's the cutoff date for player eligibility.

Comment

• DZ
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2007

There is reasonable hope that what we have already for next year will develop more than expected and make the team quite strong.

My hope is coupled with the likelihood of the team struggling far more in OOC but also finishing stronger, angrier and in decent position to win a couple in the tourney.
            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
            Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
            X