PDA

View Full Version : GU in the final four for Tulane's Josh Davis

GUZag08
04-09-2013, 07:51 AM
http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2013/4/9/4204990/gonzaga-in-the-mix-for-tulane-transfer-josh-davis

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere

CDC84
04-09-2013, 07:53 AM
It goes w/out saying that this is fantastic news.

Hoopaholic
04-09-2013, 07:55 AM
appears my lenten prayers may be paying off........
couple him at the 4, Coleman and Nunez with a fire in the belly attitude of our current guards......we might be looking good

john montana
04-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Exactly the kind of player we need!

webspinnre
04-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Great news. This is the kind of impact player that would make a huge difference in looking at the chances for a deep run next year.

cjm720
04-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Would be awesome!!!!!!!!

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 08:17 AM
It goes w/out saying that this is fantastic news.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This guy could wind up being the best big at GU; ever.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 08:20 AM
This guy averaged 18/11 in CUSA. Those numbers make him the top returning big man in the country. If we get him, he starts immediately. Look at his #'s, they're ridonkulous.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/45541/josh-davis

17 rebounds in his last game and 26/12 in the game before that and 21/15 vs Memphis in the game before that.

jazzdelmar
04-09-2013, 08:22 AM
illinois is pretty formidable comp for this fella.....less so pitt and isu.....stay calm

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 08:26 AM
illinois is pretty formidable comp for this fella.....less so pitt and isu.....stay calm

Sillynois's gonna be bad next year, as is Pitt. ISU is like us, loses a few guys, but returns a bunch and could use a big; they had OSU dead to rights in the tourney. I dunno, we can guarantee him the starting pf spot asap, national tv all of the time (something he never got at Tulane) and we return a very experienced backcourt. :pray::pray::pray:

CDC84
04-09-2013, 08:27 AM
I also like the teams we are competing with to get him. It's not like we are battling Duke and Arizona for his services.

Illinois is losing DJ Richardson, Brandon Paul, and Tyler Griffey. Three starters.
They will be very young next year.

Iowa State doesn't make any sense. They are losing four of their top seven players to graduation. They are a regular mid-pack Big 12 team.

Pitt is very young, but they are moving to the ACC. I have no idea how that is going to work out. Their team is more built for the Big East. Needless to say, they were torched by Wich St. in the NCAA's.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 08:34 AM
I also like the teams we are competing with to get him. It's not like we are battling Duke and Arizona for his services.

Illinois is losing DJ Richardson, Brandon Paul, and Tyler Griffey. Three starters.
They will be very young next year.

Iowa State doesn't make any sense. They are losing four of their top seven players to graduation. They are a regular mid-pack Big 12 team.

Pitt is very young, but they are moving to the ACC. I have no idea how that is going to work out. Their team is more built for the Big East. Needless to say, they were torched by Wich St. in the NCAA's.

Yup, I like our chances too, we have, far and away the best chance of the four teams to make some noise with the addition of him. We rerally need to make the full court press on this guy; again, he is the leading returning big man IN THE COUNTRY.

CDC84
04-09-2013, 08:46 AM
What's scary to think about is how good Gonzaga would be if Davis chose the Zags and Kelly did the unexpected and decided to return to school. How about this starting lineup:

Kevin Pangos
Gary Bell
Gerard Coleman
Josh Davis
Kelly Olynyk

Davis averaged 19.6 PPG, 11.2 RPG and 48% FG againt BCS teams and Memphis last season.

He also shoots 72% from the foul line.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 08:53 AM
What's scary to think about is how good Gonzaga would be if Davis chose the Zags and Kelly did the unexpected and decided to return to school. How about this starting lineup:

Kevin Pangos
Gary Bell
Gerard Coleman
Josh Davis
Kelly Olynyk

Davis averaged 19.6 PPG, 11.2 RPG and 48% FG againt BCS teams and Memphis last season.

He also shoots 72% from the foul line.

Potentially the best starting five in the country, but I still have my doubts about starting 3 guys 6'1 or shorter. I'd almost rather have Drangs or Barham start at the 3 and have either GB or GC start at sg and the other one come off the bench for instant offense.

Zagdawg
04-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Check the tape measure and you won't have to worry about starting 3 guys 6'1" or shorter.

:)

BroncoZAG615
04-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Potentially the best starting five in the country, but I still have my doubts about starting 3 guys 6'1 or shorter. I'd almost rather have Drangs or Barham start at the 3 and have either GB or GC start at sg and the other one come off the bench for instant offense.

The height is a fair concern - we'll just need to see how Gerard defends. If he can face-guard well, it won't be an issue because he is incredibly long and lanky even though he's on the shorter side for a small forward.

I would even be ecstatic about a starting lineup that was Pangos, Bell, Coleman, Davis, and Dower/Karno. That would be a very athletic lineup that would run the court incredibly well. With Davis, you aren't asking the team to complete shift to being guard-oriented from such a post-dominated team last year.

With that lineup, you could really just swap Karno and Dower in and out every few minutes because both are excellent at running the floor and they could stay fresh and out of foul trouble. The bench would be on the small side but the speed would be scary.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Check the tape measure and you won't have to worry about starting 3 guys 6'1" or shorter.

:)

Not one of those three is over 6'2, max. I love all of them, but as I stated, start Drew, Kyle or Angel at the 3 and let either BG or Gerard come off the bench as an instant offense sixth man role, like JR Smith or Jamal Crawford.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 09:08 AM
The height is a fair concern - we'll just need to see how Gerard defends. If he can face-guard well, it won't be an issue because he is incredibly long and lanky even though he's on the shorter side for a small forward.

Having many capable guards is a good problem to have; now, let's land Davis and our future for next year got much, much brighter.

DixieZag
04-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Chance to be best Zag ever?

Is he THAT good?

Some pretty big hurdles, Morrison - Olynick - Dickau first team All-Americans.

If he is that good it seems to me that Tulane would have been better, though admitedly I know nothing about them.

DixieZag
04-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Not one of those three is over 6'2, max. I love all of them, but as I stated, start Drew, Kyle or Angel at the 3 and let either BG or Gerard come off the bench as an instant offense sixth man role, like JR Smith or Jamal Crawford.

Tend to agree, about starting Drew or Kyle and bringing the others as sixth, seventh instant offense.

They are the flip side of each other that sort of result in the same thing, IMHO.

CDC84
04-09-2013, 09:15 AM
The problem Spy is that I have seen absolutely nothing from Barham and Dranginis to suggest to me that they are starters on a top 25 team. At a certain point, you have to play your best players. Nunez clearly has the best upside, long term, if you want a three man with size, but I don't expect a lot from him next year. For one thing, he won't be eligible until mid-season.

Dranginis, BTW, needs to get a whole lot better next year. If he doesn't, he could be career long bench warmer with the star recruits GU is chasing after in 2014.

Zag 77
04-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Before you all go "Bol Kong" on this guy, note that Tulane was 20-15 and lost 6 of their last 8.

It also looks like he played at NC State as a freshman and transferred. Why?

He is thus looking to play on his third college team.

CDC84
04-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Before you all go "Bol Kong" on this guy, note that Tulane was 20-15 and lost 6 of their last 8.

I don't think you can blame him for Tulane's struggles last year. He was a great player stuck on a bad team. Tulane is the pits. Their facilities are terrible. If they didn't have him, they would have sucked even more. I would do anything I could to get out of Tulane. The kid has a chance to play for a winner and get a grad school education.

Davis averaged 19.6 PPG, 11.2 RPG and 48% FG against BCS teams and Memphis.

I don't know why he transferred from NC State. I don't think there were behavioral issues. The kid is obviously good enough academically to get into grad school.

Bol Kong didn't prove anything at the college level. This kid has. he would be a major addition to the program.

DADoZAG
04-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Abe?

Go ZAGS!

BobZag
04-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Music to me ears. Bring it home, Fewie.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Chance to be best Zag ever?Is he THAT good?

Some pretty big hurdles, Morrison - Olynick - Dickau first team All-Americans.

If he is that good it seems to me that Tulane would have been better, though admitedly I know nothing about them.

Best Zag "big" ever. He put up better #'s than kelly in a better conference. The kid is a STUD, but got zero pub because he played at Tulane.

BroncoZAG615
04-09-2013, 09:25 AM

I was waiting for this post.

There's like 15 comments about Davis. Bol Kong was a multi-year infatuation. A bit different in my estimation.

This isn't your first offseason on the boards - if you don't want to hear hype, skip the link on your favorites bar.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 09:29 AM

Bol Kong hadn't proven anything, I bought into the hype and while he had plenty of skill, he also had a lot of issues. To repeat: Josh Davis is the best returning big man IN THE COUNTRY. think about that for a second. As to your last point, I have no idea, but I haven't heard about any character issues, have you?

CDC84
04-09-2013, 09:34 AM
A legit worry about Davis is if he prolongs his recruitment. Teams are going to start losing players to the NBA draft, and vacancies will open up. It's quite possible that one or two factory schools might get involved the longer this thing plays out.

MDABE80
04-09-2013, 09:34 AM
He's a junior. A REALLY good one but he's a junior. There are others looking at us as well.....mum:)

Remember guys...we ARE no 1 ranked and we were in the top 10 for half the year.. It means a lot. The body of work..not the title. It's attractive to recruits to be possible joining a no 1.
I also know the preseason ranking I posted late night is #13 (even if KO leaves)...it won't get worse.....

Now is the time to capitalize. Few knows it. Recruits know it too.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 09:41 AM
He's a junior. A REALLY good one but he's a junior. There are others looking at us as well.....mum:)Remember guys...we ARE no 1 ranked and we were in the top 10 for half the year.. It means a lot. The body of work..not the title. It's attractive to recruits to be possible joining a no 1.
I also know the preseason ranking I posted late night is #13 (even if KO leaves)...it won't get worse.....

Now is the time to capitalize. Few knows it. Recruits know it too.

None as good as him.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 09:42 AM
A legit worry about Davis is if he prolongs his recruitment. Teams are going to start losing players to the NBA draft, and vacancies will open up. It's quite possible that one or two factory schools might get involved the longer this thing plays out.

I was thinking that as well, but who? They've all got their recruiting classes signed. I can't think of an elite factory school that has a guaranteed starter spot immediately available, like we do.

Zag 77
04-09-2013, 09:44 AM
True, this is not my first off-season on the Board by a longshot. Age brings a little bit of perspective and a sense that one should be cautious. I also trust our coaches have that mind set.

I simply point out a couple of things that no doubt need to be considered and will be looked at by our coaches before a serious effort to recruit is made.

PS. It looks like he has played 3 seasons and had a tranfer redshirt year, so he would be a redshirt senior.

mgadfly
04-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Best Zag "big" ever. He put up better #'s than kelly in a better conference. The kid is a STUD, but got zero pub because he played at Tulane.

It depends on what numbers you look at, Kelly was a much better shot blocker and shooter. He is a better rebounder (which is saying a lot because KO is a very good rebounder when you look at his numbers).

He did not play in a better conference, and he did not face nearly as good of competition as KO when you consider the entire season.

Still, he is a stud that would get good publicity at GU and be one of the three bigs in our rotation (and the best one). It seems like a very good fit.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-09-2013, 09:59 AM
http://askmarcbarrett.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/star-trek-make-it-so.jpg

hooter73
04-09-2013, 10:18 AM
any highlight vids better than another for those of us getting our first look?

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 10:43 AM
It depends on what numbers you look at, Kelly was a much better shot blocker and shooter. He is a better rebounder (which is saying a lot because KO is a very good rebounder when you look at his numbers).

He did not play in a better conference, and he did not face nearly as good of competition as KO when you consider the entire season.
Still, he is a stud that would get good publicity at GU and be one of the three bigs in our rotation (and the best one). It seems like a very good fit.

If CUSA isn't better than the WCC, it's darn near equal. They had 5 teams with twenty or more wins, the WCC had three.

Common opponents:

Southern University: Kelly had 21/10. Josh had 20/16

San Diego: Kelly had 15/8 and 14/9. Josh had 19/8

Pepperdine: Kelly had 16/4 and 13/4. Josh had 19/7

jazzdelmar
04-09-2013, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=CDC84;905951]What's scary to think about is how good Gonzaga would be if Davis chose the Zags and Kelly did the unexpected and decided to return to school. How about this starting lineup:

Kevin Pangos
Gary Bell
Gerard Coleman
Josh Davis
Kelly Olynyk

CeeDee, i'll have what your having, my friend :)

jazzdelmar
04-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Sillynois's gonna be bad next year, as is Pitt. ISU is like us, loses a few guys, but returns a bunch and could use a big; they had OSU dead to rights in the tourney. I dunno, we can guarantee him the starting pf spot asap, national tv all of the time (something he never got at Tulane) and we return a very experienced backcourt. :pray::pray::pray:

youre not thinking straight, and avoiding the 800 lb gorilla in the chat room -- its the CONFERENCE hes likely looking for if he has aspirations beyond the Wave...he wants a much larger and brighter stage than CUSA, helloooo..why wd he play in the Forlorn WCC vs the ACC or Big 10? Midnight ESPN games vs D2 like squads only go so far....

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 11:14 AM
youre not thinking straight, and avoiding the 800 lb gorilla in the chat room -- its the CONFERENCE hes likely looking for if he has aspirations beyond the Wave...he wants a much larger and brighter stage than CUSA, helloooo..why wd he play in the Forlorn WCC vs the ACC or Big 10? Midnight ESPN games vs D2 like squads only go so far....

Are you guys facebook friends?

former1dog
04-09-2013, 11:16 AM

Not quite sure why you're selling GU short? Did our consensus All American lack for attention this past season. Looks like this guy is a pro. We've got 3, soon to be 4 front court type guys in the league right now, so I don't think he's taking a big career risk by coming to GU.

Then there's fit and opportunity to excel. He looks to be an Elias clone, he did alright.

madness
04-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Interesting article from when he first transferred from NC State to Tulane:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu/story/7736082/

"Davis indicated that he picked Tulane over App. State, Marshall, and UNC-Wilmington. He had previously taken a visit to App. State. In addition, Davis was also considering Mercer, Middle Tennessee State and Wright State. "

Looks like he has only really looked geographically at schools in the South. I guess Pitt would be the closest advantage there.

This has got me pretty pumped up though. I would imagine he wants big minutes. He averaged 35.7 last year at Tulane. Gotta imagine he will get them at GU.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 11:19 AM

"Davis indicated that he picked Tulane over App. State, Marshall, and UNC-Wilmington. He had previously taken a visit to App. State. In addition, Davis was also considering Mercer, Middle Tennessee State and Wright State. "

Looks like he has only really looked geographically at schools in the South. I guess Pitt would be the closest advantage there.

This has got me pretty pumped up though. I would imagine he wants big minutes. He averaged 35.7 last year at Tulane. Gotta imagine he will get them at GU.

Immediate replacement for E. but withn better numbers and better size. This is a no brainer and a HUGE get if we land him.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-09-2013, 11:20 AM

In today's CBB and NBA environment, conference affiliation of a player's school isn't as important for setting up a pro career. If Kelly leaves, the last two GU centers will have been drafted and be playing in the NBA. Similarly, Damian Lillard was a lottery pick out of Weber State last year and will likely win ROY. The lure of playing in the Big Ten or ACC is certainly going to be tempting, but so will the opportunity to have near-guaranteed playing time and a starting position on a (what would be) a highly ranked team that plays on national TV two dozens times a year.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-09-2013, 11:23 AM

I wonder if geography and staying fairly close to home would be as important now that he's a few years older and would only be at his new school for one season. I certainly hope that's the case.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 11:23 AM
In today's CBB and NBA environment, conference affiliation of a player's school isn't as important for setting up a pro career. If Kelly leaves, the last two GU centers will have been drafted and be playing in the NBA. Similarly, Damian Lillard was a lottery pick out of Weber State last year and will likely win ROY. The lure of playing in the Big Ten or ACC is certainly going to be tempting, but so will the opportunity to have near-guaranteed playing time and a starting position on a (what would be) a highly ranked team that plays a on national TV two dozens times a year.

Jazz loves being the negative contrarian; it's his thing. GU is a national powerhouse that plays a great schedule and is on tv all of the time. if we land him, we could be very, very good, once again.

jazzdelmar
04-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Jazz loves being the negative contrarian; it's his thing. GU is a national powerhouse that plays a great schedule and is on tv all of the time. if we land him, we could be very, very good, once again.

"negative contrarian" ... so does that make me positive.....:)

i agree he would be a huge get, but im not as, well, pos as you all....

doggie, far from knocking the zags, i was kiboshing the dreadful wcc.....chill

mgadfly
04-09-2013, 11:52 AM
If CUSA isn't better than the WCC, it's darn near equal. They had 5 teams with twenty or more wins, the WCC had three.

Common opponents:

Southern University: Kelly had 21/10. Josh had 20/16

San Diego: Kelly had 15/8 and 14/9. Josh had 19/8

Pepperdine: Kelly had 16/4 and 13/4. Josh had 19/7

darn near equal isn't better.
I think he is a great player and I would love for him to come to GU.
Correct Kelly's stats for minutes played.
Look at efficiency numbers.

CUSA had two teams in KenPom's top 100 out of 12 teams.
4 of 9 teams in the WCC were in the top 100.

He played 5 games against top 100 competition and did very well against them. However, he averaged:

37 MINUTES PER GAME

27 and 4 against GTECH
18 and 12 against Alabama
13 and 12 against Memphis
19 and 10 against So. Mississippi
21 and 15 against Memphis

Season Stats for Davis:
17.6 p and 10.7 rebounds

Season Stats for Olynyk if he averaged 35.7 mpg:
24.1 p and 9.9 rebounds

Olynyk played 16 games against top 100 competition compared to Davis' 5 games.

Worthington
04-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Wow this is an absolute must get. Davis is the guy we NEED

RRZagFan
04-09-2013, 12:09 PM
A trip to Maui for thanksgiving ,a shot at being 3rd Zag to be drafted in 3 years if he has a dominate year,hope he looks at Big picture.

titopoet
04-09-2013, 12:22 PM

I don't doubt that Josh is a very good player, but to frame him in terms of having better stats than 1st team All American, 1st round daft pick. Josh was the primary option and the only rebounder on Tulane, of course he will put more points per game and more rebounds (hint without a Harris, he had to pick all of the rebounds for his team. Without a Pangos, Bell, Harris taking shots, Davis could shoot more than Kelly. He scored a little less in averages than Kelly, but Kelly played less minutes and shot it at a higher % with almost hundred less shots.

Kelly was an All American, and there is no need to frame the excitement on getting Josh in terms of implying being better than Kelly. Josh will be a great get, but Kelly is a great loss.

Karno and Dower will be back and with increase in minutes, just watch. Karno is still though of as a 1st rounder next year. Expect the big pole to dominate next year.

SLOZag
04-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Season Stats for Davis:
17.6 p and 10.7 rebounds

Season Stats for Olynyk if he averaged 35.7 mpg:
24.1 p and 9.9 rebounds

I think a better comparison for Josh would be Elias. Here is how they shake out in several categories over last season:

Pts/G: J: 17.6 E: 14.6
Reb/G: J: 10.7 E: 7.4
Blk: J: 30 E: 35
Stl: J: 28 E: 38
Mins/G: J: 35.7 E: 27.8
FG%: J: 49.2 E: 50.1
FT%: J: 71.6 E: 76.8
A/TO: J: .7 E: .89

Take into account a year of less experience, less support from teammates, and the fatigue factor due to heavy minutes, and Josh is looking pretty decent in this comparison.

I'd add him to the Zag family in a heartbeat if the team gives him a thumbs up.

Zag 77
04-09-2013, 12:36 PM
So, which one of our fine degree programs is this lad interested in?:lmao:

UberZagFan
04-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Boy, this Josh Davis guy has been playing for years. Uber still has nightmares about this guy. Not sure what it would be like with him playing for GU:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=224000008

MDABE80
04-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Why wouldn't anyone WANT to be on the last year's NO 1 team??? You know ...the one who'se top 20 or so for the upcoming year? You know...the one who's on ESPN ( not only at midnight EST) but those one who's on in plenty of normal hours too..like that one who's on 20 times yearly??
Oh That's the guy with logic.....he'd never wanna be here. I mean who wouldn't?

Please.......get serious. When this kid could be the missing piece that'll play right away.............<rolls eyes>...this logic of some means it'll be an awful looooooooooooooong 6 months.

Zagcity
04-09-2013, 01:03 PM
"negative contrarian" ... so does that make me positive.....:)

Jazz is more of a conflicting lollapalooza. ;)

GoZags
04-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Boy, this Josh Davis guy has been playing for years. Uber still has nightmares about this guy. Not sure what it would be like with him playing for GU:

EXACTLY what I was thinking too, UZF.

BobZag
04-09-2013, 01:25 PM

This calls for a 25 minute hot shower.

DixieZag
04-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Well, I know nothing about him. I hope we get him and you are right.

But, don't see a lot in his past that would indicate "best ever" just a great replacement for Elias.

vandalzag
04-09-2013, 02:12 PM
So, which one of our fine degree programs is this lad interested in?:lmao:

So you are aware of this kids academic standing? Just curious as to the need for a snarky comment. Very welcoming.

Angelo Roncalli
04-09-2013, 02:15 PM
So you are aware of this kids academic standing? Just curious as to the need for a snarky comment. Very welcoming.

No idea what his actual standing is, but in order to play his final year of eligibility at another school, he'll have to graduate from Tulane.... And, he'll have to pursue his masters in a program that Tulane doesn't offer. Just as Drew Barham is doing.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 02:56 PM
I don't doubt that Josh is a very good player, but to frame him in terms of having better stats than 1st team All American, 1st round daft pick. Josh was the primary option and the only rebounder on Tulane, of course he will put more points per game and more rebounds (hint without a Harris, he had to pick all of the rebounds for his team. Without a Pangos, Bell, Harris taking shots, Davis could shoot more than Kelly. He scored a little less in averages than Kelly, but Kelly played less minutes and shot it at a higher % with almost hundred less shots.

Kelly was an All American, and there is no need to frame the excitement on getting Josh in terms of implying being better than Kelly. Josh will be a great get, but Kelly is a great loss.

Karno and Dower will be back and with increase in minutes, just watch. Karno is still though of as a 1st rounder next year. Expect the big pole to dominate next year.

Also means he was constantly getting double teamed and the main focus of the defense; you can't have it both ways. Kelly is great and this kid is great, it doesn't have to be an either/or.

mgadfly
04-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Also means he was constantly getting double teamed and the main focus of the defense; you can't have it both ways. Kelly is great and this kid is great, it doesn't have to be an either/or.

Nobody double-teamed Kelly or focused their defense on him. I'm just kidding. I agree, they are both great. How about we get Kelly to stay, add Davis, and convince Wiggins to truly shock the world and pick GU.

Our lineup:
PG: Pangos (Stockton)
SG: Bell (Coleman)
SF: Wiggins (Nunez/KD/Barham)
PF: Davis (Dower)
C: Kelly Olynyk (Karno)

Under such a scenario we could see who the opposition focused on.

Ezag
04-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Arguing about some guy we may or may not get seems pointless at this time....wait so is my post!

cggonzaga
04-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Haven't seen any analysis on what kind of player he is so I did some research if anyone cares.

He is not E in terms of strength. He's a legit 215lbs and while he seems strong he's not pushing anybody around. He's not a back to the basket type player. He wants to catch about 10-12 feet out and face up and take you off the dribble. Again he won't overpower anyone but he is a good athlete. Hes a big time hustler in the mold of Hart and he doesn't seem to get tired. He's a good not great defender. Doesn't seem to want to bang but rather separate so he can block your shot in the air. Seems to have good vision for big man. Did I mention he's a lefty. That could be fun with him and Dower on the floor at the same time.

jazzdelmar
04-09-2013, 03:10 PM
This calls for a 25 minute hot shower.

Dortmund uber alles, as u called it...Nice

RRZagFan
04-09-2013, 03:17 PM
would like to see one of these next year
http://t.co/tPKWgCXQXI

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Nobody double-teamed Kelly or focused their defense on him. I'm just kidding. I agree, they are both great. How about we get Kelly to stay, add Davis, and convince Wiggins to truly shock the world and pick GU.

Our lineup:
PG: Pangos (Stockton)
SG: Bell (Coleman)
SF: Wiggins (Nunez/KD/Barham)
PF: Davis (Dower)
C: Kelly Olynyk (Karno)

Under such a scenario we could see who the opposition focused on.

Because we had so many more offensive weapons; double Kelly, you leave Elias open, or one of the guards. I love Kelly, he's a likely lottery pick for a reason. About Wiggins, him and Kevin go waaaay back, he should work his magic. That would be awesome. That lineup you posted is sick, I know it's pure fantasy, but sick nonetheless. :clap:

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Arguing about some guy we may or may not get seems pointless at this time....wait so is my post!

You pretty much summed up basketball message boards during the off season. :p

tlark420
04-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Wait......gonzagas in the final 4?????????

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Haven't seen any analysis on what kind of player he is so I did some research if anyone cares.

He is not E in terms of strength. He's a legit 215lbs and while he seems strong he's not pushing anybody around. He's not a back to the basket type player. He wants to catch about 10-12 feet out and face up and take you off the dribble. Again he won't overpower anyone but he is a good athlete. Hes a big time hustler in the mold of Hart and he doesn't seem to get tired. He's a good not great defender. Doesn't seem to want to bang but rather separate so he can block your shot in the air. Seems to have good vision for big man. Did I mention he's a lefty. That could be fun with him and Dower on the floor at the same time.

You overlooked the most important thing; he's an amazing rebounder; second in the nation:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/player/_/stat/rebounds

Six games of 15 rebounds or more, that's insane. :clap::clap::clap:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/45541/josh-davis

Edit: He was second in the nation during the post season, tied for 6th during the regular season:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/player/_/stat/rebounds/sort/avgRebounds/seasontype/2

WallaWallaZag
04-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Yup, I like our chances too, we have, far and away the best chance of the four teams to make some noise with the addition of him. We rerally need to make the full court press on this guy; again, he is the leading returning big man IN THE COUNTRY.

spy...you keep saying this "he is the leading returning big man in the country" thing...just curious, according to who exactly??? i could think of several bigs that i would "assume" are better, including our own kelly o (i emphasize assume since admittedly, i have never seen this guy play, but i haven't seen him on any draft boards either). speaking of which... you seem particularly high on him, but considering he played for tulane...have you even seen him play???

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 04:04 PM
spy...you keep saying this "he is the leading returning big man in the country" thing...just curious, according to who exactly??? i could think of several bigs that i would "assume" are better, including our own kelly o (i emphasize assume since admittedly, i have never seen this guy play, but i haven't seen him on any draft boards either). speaking of which... you seem particularly high on him, but considering he played for tulane...have you even seen him play???

According to 18 points and 11 rebounds per game. Is their another returning big in the nation with better stats? Here's his game log for the season:

SteelZag
04-09-2013, 04:24 PM

And Karnowski.....and Coleman.

WallaWallaZag
04-09-2013, 04:42 PM
According to 18 points and 11 rebounds per game. Is their another returning big in the nation with better stats? Here's his game log for the season:

ok, so it is according to stats...fair enough. since you didn't answer my other question, i'm assuming you haven't seen him play (other than maybe a youtube highlight vid) and are basing your opinion on the guy being possibly the best zag big ever on stats only? that seems kinda presumptuous... i guess i am just a lot more cautious than you when giving out hype.

cggonzaga
04-09-2013, 04:43 PM
And Karnowski.....and Coleman.

Didn't think of that. Interesting. That could really mess a defense up.

Yes Spy, he's a great rebounder but it doesn't stand out watching video of him. He's kind of a Dennis Rodman, Fareed type rebounder. All instincts and position and he goes and gets it like Hart.

DixieZag
04-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Yes Spy, he's a great rebounder but it doesn't stand out watching video of him. He's kind of a Dennis Rodman, Fareed type rebounder. All instincts and position and he goes and gets it like Hart.

Sounds like incredible intangible talent that fills the biggest hole in the lineup next year.

What do people that really know his situation think are the odds he comes? 25% - 50% over 50%?

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 04:52 PM

Heart and hustle; can never have those types of players.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 04:57 PM
ok, so it is according to stats...fair enough. since you didn't answer my other question, i'm assuming you haven't seen him play (other than maybe a youtube highlight vid) and are basing your opinion on the guy being possibly the best zag big ever on stats only? that seems kinda presumptuous... i guess i am just a lot more cautious than you when giving out hype.

I'm sorry, I totally overlooked your second question; my apologies. No, I haven't had the chance to see him, just looked at his stats, advanced analytics and box scores; all look very good.

You're last point is a valid one, I readily admit that I am easily excited and excitable, anyone who has seen my posts for the past 15 years can attest to that. :p

But bottom line; stats don't lie and if this kid can replicate with us what he did at Tulane, we'll have back to back 1st round draft picks.

bigparb
04-09-2013, 07:31 PM
You'll find more than enough to become a believer......broad shoulders...good hands....finish in traffic....nose for the ball.......nuff said.....

If JD comes to Spokane we're top 10 no doubt.......we'll love this kid!!!
:drool:

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 08:18 PM
You'll find more than enough to become a believer......broad shoulders...good hands....finish in traffic....nose for the ball.......nuff said.....

If JD comes to Spokane we're top 10 no doubt.......we'll love this kid!!!
:drool:

Agreed. Again, the dude had six games of 15 or more rebounds last season. That's crazy.

MDABE80
04-09-2013, 08:27 PM
It's good to see hope return to the board. We'll be spectacular next year.
I don't know wwhere we'll find another Mike Hart though.........that's the one kid we cannot replace right now....none of the horizon I know of.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2013, 08:31 PM
It's good to see hope return to the board. We'll be spectacular next year.
I don't know wwhere we'll find another Mike Hart though.........that's the one kid we cannot replace right now....none of the horizon I know of.

Drew Barham is very Hart like; not as good as the original, but a lot of the same qualities.

cggonzaga
04-09-2013, 08:37 PM

No offense to Hart but let's not make him out to be an irreplacible player. Mike was great at what he did. What he lacked in talent he made up for in hustle. No we won't have a Mike Hart probably ever again but we will have better more talented players. Coleman is one of those guys. We won't have to play 4 on 5 offensively next season. Coleman's on ball defense should also be an upgrade over Hart. Davis seems to have a lot of "hart" in him as far as hustle goes. Sure hope we get him.

Sorry Spy but I don't get the Barham love. If KD steps up I find it hard to believe Drew sees the floor much.

MDABE80
04-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Hart won more games with his hustle ,rebounding and defense than most do with their offense. Yep,,,he's not one that'll be easily replced......next year at least. In my years of watching GU ball, I've not seen another one like him...or even close.
There should the MIKE HART award for his work.

cjm720
04-09-2013, 08:46 PM

Thx for the recap. Would be a great get!

Zagineer
04-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Hart won more games with his hustle ,rebounding and defense than most do with their offense. Yep,,,he's not one that'll be easily replced......next year at least. In my years of watching GU ball, I've not seen another one like him...or even close.
There should the MIKE HART award for his work.

Amen.

cggonzaga
04-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Pendo? Plus Pendo had a more complete game. Don't get me wrong about Hart. He was crucial to this years team. Have a feeling Coleman will be crucial for next years team, just in a different way. There are many ways to impact a game. Again, hart was great at what he did.

Worthington
04-09-2013, 10:23 PM
FINALLY clicked in my brain who this guy reminds me of! Plays a lot like Davidson's De'Mon Brooks in my opinion. Both quick, high energy face up power forwards that like to take you off the dribble. He would be a perfect fit playing beside either Dower or Karnowski

maynard g krebs
04-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Pendo? Plus Pendo had a more complete game. Don't get me wrong about Hart. He was crucial to this years team. Have a feeling Coleman will be crucial for next years team, just in a different way. There are many ways to impact a game. Again, hart was great at what he did.

Jason Todd of Jackson (Mill Creek) who led his team to the 4A title game as a jr averaging close to 22/11 and was named Wa Gatorade POY, is a very similar player to Pendo imo, or a Hart w/ more offense. Closest thing to these guys I've seen. Hope the Zags offer him. Not a star, but a guy who will do what it takes. Finished the title game on an ankle swelled the size of a softball and almost helped lead his team back from a dbl digit deficit. Left in a wheel chair. Smart, tough, selfless, skilled; will do whatever it takes. Leon has offered him according to reports; will be interesting to follow if he goes there.

ZagLawGrad
04-10-2013, 05:46 AM
Drew Barham is very Hart like; not as good as the original, but a lot of the same qualities.

I'll have to see a lot more from him next season to buy into that statement.

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2013, 05:54 AM
FINALLY clicked in my brain who this guy reminds me of! Plays a lot like Davidson's De'Mon Brooks in my opinion. Both quick, high energy face up power forwards that like to take you off the dribble. He would be a perfect fit playing beside either Dower or Karnowski

De'mon averaged 14/6, Josh averaged 18/11 and had SIX games of 15 rebounds or more.

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2013, 05:55 AM
I'll have to see a lot more from him next season to buy into that statement.

Really? Every time he got extended minutes, he played with the same type of frenetic defense and hustle that Mike displayed; not as well, but a reasonable facsimile.

Chicken Ball
04-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Watching Davis highlights, my one concern is, can he play one on one post defense agains sme of the high major power forwards we'll see next year? He's undersized. Looks like he gets abused by bigger post men. He does blocks shots, but those seem to be from the weak side in the highlights I saw.

Good handle, good passer, good finisher, great rebounder. Very good facing up, can either drive to the bucket or find the open man. Didn't see a jump shot.

ZagLawGrad
04-10-2013, 06:10 AM
Really? Every time he got extended minutes, he played with the same type of frenetic defense and hustle that Mike displayed; not as well, but a reasonable facsimile.

Just didn't see it. Perhaps his poor play in SLC at the end tainted my view.

jazzdelmar
04-10-2013, 06:20 AM
enough hype, when will the davis shoe drop?

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Watching Davis highlights, my one concern is, can he play one on one post defense agains sme of the high major power forwards we'll see next year? He's undersized. Looks like he gets abused by bigger post men. He does blocks shots, but those seem to be from the weak side in the highlights I saw.

Good handle, good passer, good finisher, great rebounder. Very good facing up, can either drive to the bucket or find the open man. Didn't see a jump shot.

What particular players did you have in mind? Not sure how he's undersized; he's 6'8, that's plenty big for a power forward. Which power forwards abused him? I'm just curious as to your observations, because he's the leading returning pf in the nation.

U Zig, I Zag
04-10-2013, 07:06 AM

Drew cranked the D up in the second half of the season. If he is willing to jump in with the trees he could pull down some more boards. He has great form and does the corner 3 like it's his job. If he can develop a dribble left and dribble right attack where he could just sneak some room and shoot it, he would be more of an asset. Still floats the perimeter too much.

VinnyZag
04-10-2013, 07:17 AM
You know who else is 6-8? Cleanthony Early and Carl Hall.

I was wondering if the big transfers won't wait until after the NBA deadline before deciding where to go. Whether a guy like Olynyk declares could have a big impact on what someone like Davis decides.

Chicken Ball
04-10-2013, 07:23 AM
I'd be surprised if he's actually 6'8". Looked more like 6'6" (that's what he listed at on his Scout.com profile. Admittedly, players can grow after they graduate, but it's not common). It's mostly his weight I'm worried about: 215, which is about what Pargo was. Looks like he gets pushed around on the block. The guy I saw pushing him around was Kammeon Holsey of G-Tech. Off the top of my head, I'd be worried about some of the K-State guys, or Branden Ashley of AZ, or Jefferson on Baylor.

And I think the comparison of Davis and Brooks is actually pretty good. Brooks' numbers are a little lower, but not that much, when sorted according to efficiency and strength of opponents (And Brooks' efficiency numbers (eFG% and True Shooting % are actually better than Davis', while Davis' rebounding numbers are somewhat better than Brooks' when pace adjusted). And Brooks' absolute stats are also lower partially because he plays fewer minutes than Davis. I'd expect Davis to be like a somewhat suped-up version of Brooks. But there are probably 25-30 post players in the country who are returning who are better than Davis, so let's not let the hype machine get out of control. That being said, a suped-up version of De'Mon Brooks would be a great addition to out team!

Hogan
04-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Thanks, Chicken. Appreciate the research and honest comments.

Worthington
04-10-2013, 07:31 AM
De'mon averaged 14/6, Josh averaged 18/11 and had SIX games of 15 rebounds or more.

The comparison isn't an insult, I'd be happy to have Brooks on our team. In fact Brooks has a higher per 40 scoring average playing on a vastly superior Davidson team. Just watch some De'Mon Brooks footage and tell me that the two don't play very similarly.

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2013, 07:32 AM
The comparison isn't an insult, I'd be happy to have Brooks on our team. In fact Brooks has a higher per 40 scoring average playing on a vastly superior Davidson team. Just watch some De'Mon Brooks footage and tell me that the two don't play very similarly.

Never said it was. All I said was that JS averaged more ppg and much more rpg. De'mon Brooks is a great player.

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2013, 07:40 AM
I'd be surprised if he's actually 6'8". Looked more like 6'6" (that's what he listed at on his Scout.com profile. Admittedly, players can grow after they graduate, but it's not common). It's mostly his weight I'm worried about: 215, which is about what Pargo was. Looks like he gets pushed around on the block. The guy I saw pushing him around was Kammeon Holsey of G-Tech. Off the top of my head, I'd be worried about some of the K-State guys, or Branden Ashley of AZ, or Jefferson on Baylor.

And I think the comparison of Davis and Brooks is actually pretty good. Brooks' numbers are a little lower, but not that much, when sorted according to efficiency and strength of opponents (And Brooks' efficiency numbers (eFG% and True Shooting % are actually better than Davis', while Davis' rebounding numbers are somewhat better than Brooks' when pace adjusted). And Brooks' absolute stats are also lower partially because he plays fewer minutes than Davis. I'd expect Davis to be like a somewhat suped-up version of Brooks. But there are probably 25-30 post players in the country who are returning who are better than Davis, so let's not let the hype machine get out of control. That being said, a suped-up version of De'Mon Brooks would be a great addition to out team!

Funny you mention that game; Hosley had a great game against Josh, he went for 18/7. Josh had 27/4 on 12-15 shooting. As far as "some of the Kansas State guys", which ones? Specifically? Which K-State guys do you think will dominate a 6'8 pf that averaged 18/11? It's funny how you prop up guys who have yet to do anything and diminish a proven commodity. As for his weight, how accurate are ESPN's listed weight for players?

CDC84
04-10-2013, 07:40 AM
Folks, we can debate this until the end of time, but the facts are the facts:

Gonzaga must sign a big man this spring. They are losing Harris and likely KO.

Gonzaga needs to get the best big man available at a time when not a whole lot of quality big men are available. That big man must be an instant impact player.

Josh Davis is, without a doubt, is the best big man available on the market who has some level of interest in attending Gonzaga. He's a proven commodity at the division 1 level: a proven double double player.

Regardless of what his true height is, how his stats compare to previous Zag big men, etc. - all this discussion is meaningless. What matters is that Gonzaga needs the best big man it can get, because they will likely have a huge void once KO makes his decision official.

You get the best player you can get. Gonzaga can only GAIN by adding him to the roster. The kid has done enough to suggest that he would be a starting level player at Gonzaga. That's all we should care about as far as his basketball talents are concerned. If we were recruiting a high school player 2 classes from now, it's a different story, because you have more alternatives. This is a recruiting situation where Davis is really the only alternative. Anything else is going to be a step down.

Chicken Ball
04-10-2013, 07:50 AM

Gonzaga needs to get the best big man available at a time when not a whole lot of quality big men are available. That big man must be an instant impact player.

Josh Davis is, without a doubt, is the best big man available on the market who has some level of interest in attending Gonzaga. He's a proven commodity at the division 1 level: a proven double double player.

Regardless of what his true height is, how his stats compare to previous Zag big men, etc. - all this discussion is meaningless. What matters is that Gonzaga needs the best big man it can get, because they will likely have a huge void once KO makes his decision official.

You get the best player you can get. Gonzaga can only GAIN by adding him to the roster. The kid has done enough to suggest that he would be a starting level player at Gonzaga. That's all we should care about as far as his basketball talents are concerned. If we were recruiting a high school player 2 classes from now, it's a different story, because you have more alternatives. This is a recruiting situation where Davis is really the only alternative. Anything else is going to be a step down.
Absolutely agree with this. Davis is good, the best available. He'd be a great fit for our team. I only mention some concerns so we don't get the wrong idea about him.

And I'd be happy to be proven wrong. If he's a Kenneth Faried or Renaldo Balkman type player, being undersized won't be a problem on defense at all.

Reborn
04-10-2013, 07:53 AM
I agree completely with CDC, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This guy only makes GU better next year whether Kelly comes back or not.

bigparb
04-10-2013, 08:03 AM
I watched the highlights too.....not concerned about JD gettin pushed around.........first off, there's just not that many big, powerful bigs in college basketball.......the KSU guys - meh........also, he may not weight 240 but he passing the eye test for me....he's strong......and physical....and he competes.....that's more than we can ask for.......

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2013, 08:12 AM
I watched the highlights too.....not concerned about JD gettin pushed around.........first off, there's just not that many big, powerful bigs in college basketball.......the KSU guys - meh........also, he may not weight 240 but he passing the eye test for me....he's strong......and physical....and he competes.....that's more than we can ask for.......

Yeah, I suspect that 215lb listed weight hasn't been updated in quite some time.

BobZag
04-10-2013, 08:58 AM

Yup.

webspinnre
04-10-2013, 09:15 AM
I think it's a wonderful problem to have when we're discussing whether he'd be the best big we've ever had, or "only" contribute along the lines of Elias, who is just behind the best bigs we've ever had (certainly top 5-10). Either way, impact player and immediate starter. Make it so!

CarolinaZagFan
04-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Who knows, the rumors around here are that he's going back to NC State. That would be a strange turn of events.

Hopefully he ends up in Spokane, the kid never stops working the whole time he's on the court.

Why have I still not gotten over Spangler?

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Uh Oh............16 page thread about him on the NC State board. They want him back bad, real bad. Has a player ever trasnsferred back to the school he left?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=11435083

cjm720
04-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Uh Oh............16 page thread about him on the NC State board. They want him back bad, real bad. Has a player ever trasnsferred back to the school he left?

Not like message board bloggers know what they're talking about :), but they sure seem confident that he'll sign. A few observations:

1) sounds like his top 4 might not be entirely accurate
2) visiting NC State this wekeend (was a freshman there before new coaches)
3) apparently keeps in touch with players and the program during off-season

#nervous

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Some comments from the Wolfpack thread:

For me (and I don't think I'm alone here) getting Josh Davis is not necessarily about wins and loses, it's the pure joy of watching someone ball as hard as he does.

Josh Davis always had my respect. His work ethic personified the NCSU blue collar work ethic of old (as did Howell). Loved watching the spark and effort he brought to any game. I hope he comes back.

Josh Davis is the ONE transfer I would love to have back. He busted his *** every game.

Josh always got the "hustle" award. I've been around a long time and the Josh Davis transfer was one of the most painful I've seen. Merely because of his hustle factor. I'd give anything to see him come back. Don't know if that's a pipe dream or not. Maybe not feasible. I don't know. But, GD, I love the way he played.

CarolinaZagFan
04-10-2013, 11:07 AM

Murphy Holloway transferred from Ole Miss to South Carolina for a year then went back to Ole Miss.

CDC84
04-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Unless there is something education wise that makes NC State really appealing, well, I don't understand the appeal. This is his one shot to play for a winner after being stuck at Tulane, and NC State is going to be a mid to lower level ACC team next season.

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Unless there is something education wise that makes NC State really appealing, well, I don't understand the appeal. This is his one shot to play for a winner after being stuck at Tulane, and NC State is going to be a mid to lower level ACC team next season.

He grew up in Raleigh.

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2013, 11:20 AM
More comments from their board:

I actually saw Josh play live this year, Tulane at Nebraska. I recall seeing this kid be the best player on the court (by far), wondering who it was, and then saying "oh yeah! Josh Davis!" Granted, it was Tulane vs Nebraska... but based on what I saw, he would be an above average ACC player and an extremely useful part of next year's NC State team (if he so chooses).

I hope Josh comes back. Man that would be something. Caught a couple Tulane games this year on tv just to see what he was doing and man, that motor. I want him just because his effort might rub off on the freshman bigs.

His free throw shooting has definitely improved....substantially...and he gets to the line a lot. As for his in game shooting, IDK, but from watching the videos posted he's getting most of his points around the basket and in transition....which is fine with me. Kid's a worker and a hustler, thus he scores his points in the same manner. Putbacks, hard drives to the rim, sneaky cuts, steals, etc....didn't see them running many isolations for him...which to me....was very refreshing.

CDC84
04-10-2013, 11:43 AM
He grew up in Raleigh.

I still don't understand the appeal. He's a senior headed to grad school. Does he have a sick parent in Raleigh? If playing in his hometown really, really mattered, he wouldn't have left NC State in the first place. He would have stuck it out - no matter what the issues were. And he ended up transferring to a school, Tulane, that wasn't exactly next door to Raleigh.

Perhaps he is transferring from Tulane because he is truly homesick. I would think it's because he's a very good player who deserves better than Tulane.

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2013, 11:46 AM
I still don't understand the appeal. He's a senior headed to grad school. Does he have a sick parent in Raleigh? If playing in his hometown really, really mattered, he wouldn't have left NC State in the first place. He would have stuck it out - no matter what the issues were. And he ended up transferring to a school, Tulane, that wasn't exactly next door to Raleigh.

Perhaps he is transferring from Tulane because he is truly homesick. I would think it's because he's a very good player who deserves better than Tulane.

I read the whole 16 page thread. Apparently he was recruited over by the previous coach, Sidney Lowe.

CDC84
04-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Still, if I were in this kid's position, I would be looking for the best combination of: 1) instant playing time 2) a big time winning team 3) a grad program of interest. Location would be last on my list. He has a golden opportunity on his hands. But that's just me and how I would go about the decision making process.

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Still, if I were in this kid's position, I would be looking for the best combination of: 1) instant playing time 2) a big time winning team 3) a grad program of interest. Location would be last on my list. He has a golden opportunity on his hands. But that's just me and how I would go about the decision making process.

I agree. You're preaching to the choir. Now, let's preach to Josh Davis. :drool:

madness
04-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Well, if he's visiting NC State this weekend we should have our answer on him by Monday.

CDC/SPY, do you guys have a short list of the next possible bigs out there (transfer/JC)? (Just in case)

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Well, if he's visiting NC State this weekend we should have our answer on him by Monday.CDC/SPY, do you guys have a short list of the next possible bigs out there (transfer/JC)? (Just in case)

I must have overlooked that, didn't even realize he was visiting there. That doesn't bode well for us, in my opinion.

As far as a list of transfers, someone posted it the other day. I'll try to find it and bump it.

jazzdelmar
04-10-2013, 01:02 PM
so the davis as karl malone to GU buzz is apparently over? bummer. maybe these "suspects" should be vetted a bit better or at least have some objectivity applied to their purported flirting w the zags.

3zagda
04-10-2013, 03:34 PM
I have lots of Green Wave Alumni to rely on for info. My dad went to Tulane(RIP), as did my mom, my brother, my sister, and my 2 uncles. And the list is much longer that that. I almost convinced my third Zag to go to Med School there.
I asked my 91 y/o mother about Josh. Unfortunately she has not followed sports since the Saints were caught up in the bounty scandal. Pee and vinegar were all I got from her.
I asked my sister next. She said "If it aint football, it aint nothin"!
My brother was my last hope, but he did not know Tulane still played basketball.
So I went to youtube. Man, nobody goes to their games, but that kid can play! What hustle! Hopefully he takes a visit to Spokane. He looks like a great fit for us, hopefully we are a good fit for him. I give the Green Wave Seal of Approval!
If you have any Tulane questions feel free to ask.

ZagaZags
04-10-2013, 03:52 PM
I read the whole 16 page thread. Apparently he was recruited over by the previous coach, Sidney Lowe.

Are we recruiting over Dower?

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2013, 04:34 PM

I believe we are, yes. I'm okay with that.

thickman1
04-10-2013, 05:13 PM
I believe we are, yes. I'm okay with that.

agreed.

ZAGGED OUT
04-10-2013, 05:32 PM
agreed.

I wouldn't be so quick to do that. Our off season programs/coaches have shown they know how to transform players. Dower has a perfect stroke and has shown the capability to go right (very rarely), he just needs to work on it and gain confidence. I think he's the type of player who could be drastically different when he knows he's a starter. Some people just work that way.

cggonzaga
04-10-2013, 05:49 PM

I don't see it that way at all. We have zero depth at the forward position. If anything I see dower and Davis getting the pt with Karno getting the most bench time. All 3 would play serious minutes though. I'd be highly surprised if Edwards was ready next year and I believe Meikle is more of a 3 but also not ready.

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2013, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to do that. Our off season programs/coaches have shown they know how to transform players. Dower has a perfect stroke and has shown the capability to go right (very rarely), he just needs to work on it and gain confidence. I think he's the type of player who could be drastically different when he knows he's a starter. Some people just work that way.

Sam already redshirted, he is what he is; instant offense off of the bench. That's a nice asset to have.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-10-2013, 06:07 PM

No. We need depth.

MDABE80
04-10-2013, 06:13 PM
I don't think so. Sam's going to be a 6th man forever as he plays. We're recruiting bigs to fill Elias' shoes or better. KO's on the fence. We must do what's best for the team....so we look for bigs. We'll be fine....I know it;)

zag67
04-10-2013, 06:15 PM
I think that assuming KO goes in the draft, the key is we only have two returning big men. We need three to support fouls and resting. Therefore it would be nice to have one more big man to work with the two we already have. They would all be playing approximately 25 minutes against the top teams and hopefully less when we beat some other teams by 20 or more. This allows the coaching staff to transition the two freshmen bigs in as they are ready (redshirt?).

Therefore I do not see any "big" player making a decision to play at GU when they only have one or two years left, until they hear what KO's decision is.

ZagaZags
04-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Could transfer to a school that he would be a starter for his final season. I really hope that does not happen.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Could transfer to a school that he would be a starter for his final season. I really hope that does not happen.

Can't happen because of the 4-in-5 rule. Sam's not going anywhere, nor should he want to. Even if the Zags land another big, he's going to play huge minutes next season, as discussed above.

ZagaZags
04-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Can't happen because of the 4-in-5 rule. Sam's not going anywhere, nor should he want to. Even if the Zags land another big, he's going to play huge minutes next season, as discussed above.

He would not need to sit out. He could play next season.

hooter73
04-11-2013, 07:28 AM

Hes had four years of off season to improve... hasnt happened yet. Recruiting over him? No. We love what he is, but we do need a big minutes starter and thats not Dower.

cggonzaga
04-11-2013, 10:23 AM
but we do need a big minutes starter and thats not Dower.

Totally disagree! Sam will be a double digit scorer for us next year. Possible leading scorer if he can stay out of foul trouble. Think about whom Sam has been behind since he came to GU. He's finally going to get his chance and he's going to shine. Sam is a rhythm player and he's finally going to get the opportunity to play big minutes.

cjm720
04-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Totally disagree! Sam will be a double digit scorer for us next year. Possible leading scorer if he can stay out of foul trouble. Think about whom Sam has been behind since he came to GU. He's finally going to get his chance and he's going to shine. Sam is a rhythm player and he's finally going to get the opportunity to play big minutes.

+1, totally agree. With a championship off season he'll prove he's a stud.

We need another big to play though...

ZagLawGrad
04-11-2013, 10:54 AM
+1, totally agree. With a championship off season he'll prove he's a stud.......

While I hope you are right, I don't expect Dower to do much more than he has to date. He's not a whiff, but he will have to improve a lot to get where you suggest he will be.

bullzag23
04-11-2013, 11:03 AM
He would not need to sit out. He could play next season.

Why wouldn't he need to sit out? The only way around the requirement of sitting is to find a school that offers a graduate program that GU does not currently offer and enroll.

tlark420
04-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Hes had four years of off season to improve... hasnt happened yet. Recruiting over him? No. We love what he is, but we do need a big minutes starter and thats not Dower.

+1 ...has not developed at all...works over his right shoulder and can step out which is great but has not developed his game at all

KStyles
04-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Why wouldn't he need to sit out? The only way around the requirement of sitting is to find a school that offers a graduate program that GU does not currently offer and enroll.

Not that he's going to leave, but I'm pretty sure he'd do that if he transferred. Otherwise, he'd effectively end his college career.

DixieZag
04-11-2013, 02:34 PM
+1 ...has not developed at all...works over his right shoulder and can step out which is great but has not developed his game at all

Oh wow. That is really really harsh.

He hasn't shown any indication that he will make a jump like Kelly, Elias or even Pangos/Bell but he obviously has developed and is a better weapon that previously.

Not only has his outside shot really come through, toward the end of the year he was starting to get a real feel for shot blocking and was playing a little harder.

Not sure that he would be more effective as a starter than 6th man but no question that he will pick up some of the load - still smart to look at someone who could add defense, depth and rebounding.

jazzdelmar
04-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Oh wow. That is really really harsh.

He hasn't shown any indication that he will make a jump like Kelly, Elias or even Pangos/Bell but he obviously has developed and is a better weapon that previously.

Not only has his outside shot really come through, toward the end of the year he was starting to get a real feel for shot blocking and was playing a little harder.

Not sure that he would be more effective as a starter than 6th man but no question that he will pick up some of the load - still smart to look at someone who could add defense, depth and rebounding.

KOs jump is legendary. KP upgraded nicely. But Harris was same level all four years. In fact two of those he was below frosh level. Bell hasn't budged either, which is troubling. This notion that players jump between years is more often than not untrue. KO broke the mold, I would say that. Karno is next candidate. Dower is Dower, he doesn't rebound or play d very well. He is a streaky shooter off the bench.

mgadfly
04-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Statistically Dower has gotten worse at GU.

He was less efficient than his freshman year.
He sought out his shot less.
His rebounding was horrible compared to his freshman season.
His assist rate plummeted.
His block % is way down.
He draws less fouls.
His percentage from the free throw line has dropped each season.

And there really isn't a single stat that he has improved substantially.

STILL, he is a productive player who is a real threat on offense. I think if he gets more minutes and improves his confidence he can prove to be a very good frontline player for us. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts up a very good season next year. But anyone who thinks he has improved his game since he arrived really doesn't have much to point to. What did he do this year that he wasn't able to do as a red-shirt freshman?

MDABE80
04-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Uhhhhhhhh.....we need better. Sam is what Sam is. Helps sometimes but not a frontliner. Sweetest kid you'll meet. Nice guy..but with his shotting and his major size, I kinda thought he's be in AA territory by his Sr year. Who knows what happens!!

DADoZAG
04-11-2013, 03:26 PM

What did he do this year that he wasn't able to do as a red-shirt freshman?

I thought Dower improved defensively. Still has room for improvement, but he did improve. Nothing to show up on stats, but he helped much better and rarely looked lost.

Still think he plays on his heels much too much. Every wonder why Sam can't get to those passes, can't hold his position in the block?

How can you have any quickness if your weight is always on your heels? Butt sticking out, bent at the waste. Just donít work that way.

What would Mr. Miyagi tell him about balance?

Samís shortcomings can be fixed over the summer, if theyíre worked on. Someoneís got to have a row boat we could dock down on the river below campus.

Go ZAGS!

thebigsmoove
04-12-2013, 09:35 AM

He was less efficient than his freshman year.
He sought out his shot less.
His rebounding was horrible compared to his freshman season.
His assist rate plummeted.
His block % is way down.
He draws less fouls.
His percentage from the free throw line has dropped each season.

And there really isn't a single stat that he has improved substantially.

STILL, he is a productive player who is a real threat on offense. I think if he gets more minutes and improves his confidence he can prove to be a very good frontline player for us. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts up a very good season next year. But anyone who thinks he has improved his game since he arrived really doesn't have much to point to. What did he do this year that he wasn't able to do as a red-shirt freshman?

Hey remember that one time we went to Indianapolis to play Butler and Sam scored like 24 points? yeah...i do...

cjm720
04-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Hey remember that one time we went to Indianapolis to play Butler and Sam scored like 24 points? yeah...i do...

Yep, and at Xavier in '12 and more...He just needs more consistent minutes...he may never be the best defender, but he'd start on a lot of teams, including the Zags in 2013. I'm pumped for his opportunity...he needs a championship offseason.

mgadfly
04-12-2013, 10:00 AM

I'm guessing that is sarcastic but I didn't get one of those nifty emoticons :fingergun: so I'm not sure.

1. I do remember Sam's 20 point 1 rebound game against Butler.
2. I think that is a perfect example of what I'm trying to say about him. Very good offensively (like he has been all along), but really needs to improve in defense and rebounding (where he has gotten worse).

In Sam's first game he scored 19 and pulled in 6 rebounds. Later that freshman season he had 20 points and 10 rebounds against Xavier, 27 points and 7 rebounds against San Diego, and 21 points and 3 rebounds against Saint Mary's College.

No reasonable person is disputing his ability as an offensive player. He is very good. No reasonable person can say there is a measurable difference in his offensive ability from the time he arrived and now (the numbers indicate he has gotten worse, not better offensively, but he is still outstanding).

While I agree his defensive positioning seems better, and he seems completely lost less often, he still is not anywhere close to where he needs to be defensively, and his rebounding is horrid (compared to his own modest accomplishments as a freshman).

I THINK he can make the jump this year as he gets confidence from playing more minutes. He isn't going to be KO or Harris, but he could be a very good PF for us. But he needs to go after rebounds like he has never gone after them before.

Oregonzagnut
04-12-2013, 11:34 AM
I wish everyone could pull a "superman out of the phone booth" like Kelly did. I think Kellys success and him teaching Dower and Karno what it was he actually did, will help any big man. Dower and Karno need to take 6 months and focus on the playbook, work out, diet and above all believe in their abilites.

If Karno can lose 30 lbs in fat and gain 20 lbs in muscle to "chisel" up like Violette, he will dominate just as Kelly did.

Dower needs to work on his upper body and mechanics in the paint.

KStyles
04-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Couple of tweets about him, samSCOfield35 is a Tulane student/football DB

http://i.imgur.com/AhVJNOb.png

2wiceright
04-12-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm guessing that is sarcastic but I didn't get one of those nifty emoticons :fingergun: so I'm not sure.

1. I do remember Sam's 20 point 1 rebound game against Butler.
2. I think that is a perfect example of what I'm trying to say about him. Very good offensively (like he has been all along), but really needs to improve in defense and rebounding (where he has gotten worse).

In Sam's first game he scored 19 and pulled in 6 rebounds. Later that freshman season he had 20 points and 10 rebounds against Xavier, 27 points and 7 rebounds against San Diego, and 21 points and 3 rebounds against Saint Mary's College.

No reasonable person is disputing his ability as an offensive player. He is very good. No reasonable person can say there is a measurable difference in his offensive ability from the time he arrived and now (the numbers indicate he has gotten worse, not better offensively, but he is still outstanding).

While I agree his defensive positioning seems better, and he seems completely lost less often, he still is not anywhere close to where he needs to be defensively, and his rebounding is horrid (compared to his own modest accomplishments as a freshman).

I THINK he can make the jump this year as he gets confidence from playing more minutes. He isn't going to be KO or Harris, but he could be a very good PF for us. But he needs to go after rebounds like he has never gone after them before.

I large part of the reason I think he hasn't dramatically improved from his freshman year (along with the obvious lack of consistent playing time -'the confidence factor') is other teams know he is a strong offensive 'punch' off the bench -so they game plan for him! One good thing I have noticed about Sam is he is beginning to use his right hand down on the post (still not real effective at it) which he will need to really get that down over the summer. That has been a major obsticle for Sam in the past, as all other teams need to do is take away his signature move left, always favoring his left hand.
Hopefully with a lot of work this summer and the continued work with going to his right- he'll be very difficult to cover, keeping him in the game with lots more points, offensive rebounds, and improved defense... (BTW, I charge by the hour for all of my "expert" coaching advice!:roll:

hooter73
04-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Couple of tweets about him, samSCOfield35 is a Tulane student/football DB

http://i.imgur.com/AhVJNOb.png

dang. Nice, but bad, update. We'd be lucky to get him and could really put him to use, but big schools closer to home dont bode well for us.

BroncoZAG615
04-12-2013, 01:43 PM
dang. Nice, but bad, update. We'd be lucky to get him and could really put him to use, but big schools closer to home dont bode well for us.

Attending Wake Forest would be the complete opposite of actually wanting to win in his final year. That program is a mess.

That said, I think the odds of GU landing Davis are quite low.

basketballzag
04-12-2013, 01:50 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Davis and Ricky Tarrant ended up at the same school. Look for Alabama, Auburn, Georgia Tech, and Georgia to make a move on Davis as well.

madness
04-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Anybody read any chatter on his visits over the weekend? Perhaps no news is good news?

DixieZag
04-15-2013, 01:42 PM
I know I am biased but I don't see any way that a great player can come out here, meet the guys, look around at the campus in spring and not 10 degrees. look at the potential for next year - - and not sign with us.

Has he visited?

cjm720
04-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Rumor has it that he was at NC State this weekend.

doctorzag
04-15-2013, 03:10 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Davis and Ricky Tarrant ended up at the same school. Look for Alabama, Auburn, Georgia Tech, and Georgia to make a move on Davis as well.

Ricky Tarrant has transferred to Alabama. Don`t think Davis will follow.

maynard g krebs
04-15-2013, 04:27 PM
One good thing I have noticed about Sam is he is beginning to use his right hand down on the post (still not real effective at it)

As a lefthanded person, it is my impression that right handed people have more of an expectation that lefties learn to use their right than vice versa. I think it comes from an unconscious belief that "hey, I use my right hand, he should be able to as well.

I don't remember that many right handed bigs at GU that were all that skilled with their left. Mallon, JP, KO and Sacre to some extent. But in reality, for example, I don't think Harris' left is any better than Dower's right. Or Turiaf, Calvary, Violette, etc. Or maybe that's my lefthanded prejudice speaking.

jimmy b
04-15-2013, 04:50 PM
As a lefthanded person, it is my impression that right handed people have more of an expectation that lefties learn to use their right than vice versa. I think it comes from an unconscious belief that "hey, I use my right hand, he should be able to as well.

I don't remember that many right handed bigs at GU that were all that skilled with their left. Mallon, JP, KO and Sacre to some extent. But in reality, for example, I don't think Harris' left is any better than Dower's right. Or Turiaf, Calvary, Violette, etc. Or maybe that's my lefthanded prejudice speaking.

Interesting...I haven't thought about it (i'm right handed) but suspect your impression is correct in many cases.

mgadfly
04-15-2013, 04:52 PM

I think your general statement is probably right (righties think lefties should do more than what is expected of righties), but Dower goes over his right shoulder exclusively. Harris often times goes middle when starting on the right block (he may finish right handed, but at least he has moves that go in both directions). Most of our bigs were able to develop a consistent counter-move to keep others honest. I'm hoping Dower displays one this next season (and not a fade-away, something going at the hoop).

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-15-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm hoping Dower displays one this next season (and not a fade-away, something going at the hoop).

Something that forces teams to put him on the foul line would be nice.

gamagin
04-15-2013, 08:54 PM
It would make a great pilot for a t.v. show. like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SDqa1hw2-M

2wiceright
04-15-2013, 11:10 PM
It would make a great pilot for a t.v. show. like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SDqa1hw2-M

Good one Gams...LOL

KStyles
04-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Another Tweet from yesterday

http://i.imgur.com/wdZgqkv.png (http://imgur.com/wdZgqkv)

cjm720
04-17-2013, 09:01 AM
Uh oh....Sean Miller. Just got even tougher for us...I wish we could get something from the horse's mouth.

Mr Vulture
04-17-2013, 09:17 AM
I don't think we are even close on this kid. I am sure we are focused on other guys but probably don't even need anyone if Kelly decides to stay.

CDC84
04-17-2013, 09:18 AM
As I warned everyone....the longer this kid's recruitment goes on, the greater the possibility that factory schools would start to get involved.

That being said, Arizona makes ZERO sense. They have a four man frontcourt rotation right now, and all of them - inexperienced or not - are talented and possess NBA futures.

thespywhozaggedme
04-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Uh oh....Sean Miller. Just got even tougher for us...I wish we could get something from the horse's mouth.

Aaron Gordon verballed to them last week. He plays the exact same position as Josh. Not sure why Miller would risk angering one or the other.

jazzdelmar
04-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Aaron Gordon verballed to them last week. He plays the exact same position as Josh. Not sure why Miller would risk angering one or the other.

Stockpiling athletes common at top tier programs. See UK. Every kid thinks he will play.

On another note, I think we should give up the ghost on this prospect.

thespywhozaggedme
04-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Stockpiling athletes common at top tier programs. See UK. Every kid thinks he will play.

On another note, I think we should give up the ghost on this prospect.

Where has UK done this at the exact same position? The top transfer in the country isn't gonna sign with a team that just signed the top high school player that plays the exact same position and vice versa.

cjm720
04-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Gordon sounds way more versatile and from what I've read willing to play multiple positions (as long as he starts and becomes a lotter pick :) )

jazzdelmar
04-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Where has UK done this at the exact same position? The top transfer in the country isn't gonna sign with a team that just signed the top high school player that plays the exact same position and vice versa.

huh? creep-a-pari has, what nine mcdonalds all americans on his roster next year. Im not a math genius but theres gotta be some duplication somewhere.

TravelinZag
04-17-2013, 03:19 PM

Spy, look at UK at the PF position. From the class of '13, 5-stars Julius Randle and Marcus Lee, plus 3-star Derek Willis. They're joining a roster including returning forwards Kyle Wiltjer (will be a junior), and Alex Poythress (will be a sophomore). How many ways can you slice the playing minutes?

MDABE80
04-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Cal wants kids who are already developed..........20 of em if he can con em into UK. He doesn't care........he cares about winning the title. One and done or two and done.......it's his emblem. He likes it.

thespywhozaggedme
04-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Spy, look at UK at the PF position. From the class of '13, 5-stars Julius Randle and Marcus Lee, plus 3-star Derek Willis. They're joining a roster including returning forwards Kyle Wiltjer (will be a junior), and Alex Poythress (will be a sophomore). How many ways can you slice the playing minutes?

Not an apples to apples comparison. Again; we're talking about the best available pf transfer in the country and the best pf high school recruit. Not 4 and 5* kids, but the best in their respective categories.

madness
04-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Grant Jerrett is said to be leaving for the NBA...so they might be truly in the market for a PF

OZZY
04-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Cal wants kids who are already developed..........20 of em if he can con em into UK. He doesn't care........he cares about winning the title. One and done or two and done.......it's his emblem. He likes it.

Sounds basic I know, but if a top player is on your team you won't have to play against them.....hurts other top teams potential to do damage...

MDABE80
04-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Well......the big football programs used to do this but the NCAA told everyone it was illegal.....

maynard g krebs
04-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Not an apples to apples comparison. Again; we're talking about the best available pf transfer in the country and the best pf high school recruit. Not 4 and 5* kids, but the best in their respective categories.

I read somewhere that Gordon is going to play the 3 at Zona, at least a lot if not exclusively, as he's projected there in the NBA.

jazzdelmar
04-18-2013, 05:06 AM
I read somewhere that Gordon is going to play the 3 at Zona, at least a lot if not exclusively, as he's projected there in the NBA.

As Harris should have. Bit GU in the arse in tourney games.

NorthoftheBorder
04-18-2013, 06:08 AM
Here's an update from a website that follows Illinois basketball:

http://www.thechampaignroom.com/2013/4/17/4235004/recruiting-transfer-josh-davis-illinois-arizona-pitt-gonzaga-maryland-temple

According to Davis' high school coach, Illinois is no longer in the running.

"I just got off the phone with Sean Miller, the head coach at Arizona. They are the newest team to make a push for Josh," Robert Lee Clemons told Panther247.com. "Right now I would say Pitt, Gonzaga, Temple, Maryland and Arizona are the main teams in consideration for Josh' services."

You'll notice Pitt, Gonzaga, Temple, Maryland and Arizona are not Illinois. Both Pitt and Gonzaga were listed in Davis' final four last week, so Temple, Maryland and Arizona are all new. Iowa State was also dropped from his list too, apparently.

thespywhozaggedme
04-18-2013, 06:24 AM
Here's an update from a website that follows Illinois basketball:

http://www.thechampaignroom.com/2013/4/17/4235004/recruiting-transfer-josh-davis-illinois-arizona-pitt-gonzaga-maryland-temple

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, that we're still be listed in his top teams. This guy is a STUD.

tlark420
04-18-2013, 08:00 AM
it was fun to dream.....

thespywhozaggedme
04-18-2013, 12:59 PM
it was fun to dream.....

Did I miss something?

NotoriousZ
04-19-2013, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by maynard g krebs

As Harris should have. Bit GU in the arse in tourney games.

Jazz, agree with most of your notions, but not this time. I don't think E could have defended the three point line any better, and he definitely wasn't going to outshoot them from the three, either.

I prefer to blame the loss on Bell's injury (makes me feel better). But the truth is we ran into a team on fire. Can happen to anybody.

exclusivelee
04-19-2013, 11:28 AM
#ZagsAreNowInDireNeedForNewDominantBigMen

Davis or Moser would suffice

tlark420
04-19-2013, 11:33 AM
@slipperstillfit 18 Apr

From what we are hearing it sounds unlikely that Gonzaga will land Tulane's Josh Davis. All aboard the Moser train.