PDA

View Full Version : talk about ridiculous

jazzdelmar
04-09-2013, 06:10 AM
ATLANTA -- On the court after Monday's national championship game, as the Louisville Cardinals cut down a net, Russ Smith Sr. told SI.com that his son Russ will turn pro. Russ Smith Jr., a junior, led Louisville in scoring this season.

"I told him, 'Man, this is how you go out,'" Smith Sr. said. "All the people who doubted you since high school, you proved them wrong. You have back-to-back (Big East) championships, then you come back and win the national championship. All that hard work comes from working you out since you was three years old, running the beach, running the stairs, running with medicine balls, a boxing bag, it paid off."
Smith Jr. is nicknamed "Russdiculous" by Louisville coach Rick Pitino for his penchant for taking crazy shots. Though Smith missed 13-of-16 in Louisville's title game win over Michigan, his father says he is still leaving on a great note.

"When you go out, you want to go out with a national championship," Smith Sr. said. "He's got five rings: back-to-back Big East, back-to-back Final Four, national championship. What other way to go out?"
So that's it?
"That's it."
He's gone?
"He's gone."

RenoZag
04-09-2013, 07:12 AM
Just a proud poppa doting on his dollar signs. . .I mean son.

jazzdelmar
04-09-2013, 07:14 AM
Just a proud poppa doting on his dollar signs. . .I mean son.

Daye-esque......sad

GUZag08
04-09-2013, 07:20 AM
First team

"Russ Smith (Louisville) -- He struggled in the title game (3-for-16), but he scored 21 points or more in Louisville’s first five NCAA tournament matchups. He also recorded 15 steals. Without him, the Cardinals would not have reached Atlanta. "

He meant go out winning the championship after a boss performance in the tourney. Don't believe Daye ever did that. Not sad at all.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/83529/the-2013-all-tourney-team

zag944
04-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Probably not even a first round pick.

At least Austin was and has accumulated rougly $7 million dollars at this point.

GUZag08
04-09-2013, 07:30 AM
btw theres more than a fair shot that Austin is out of the league in 2 years. Not sure why everyone thinking hes such a stud

zag944
04-09-2013, 07:35 AM
I hope that wasnt what I was implying.

Some one had compared the father pushing his son toward the NBA situation. I think it is different, because regardless of how good of a player we are talking about, Austin was a first round pick. How early he went was a suprise, but I think late first round was consensus.

Everything Ive seen on Smith is that he is a 2nd rounder. (not really sure what the big knock on him is though....wonderful perimeter defender and generally a good scorer....granted I hadnt seen much of him other than in the tournaments)

jazzdelmar
04-09-2013, 07:36 AM
He meant go out winning the championship after a boss performance in the tourney. Don't believe Daye ever did that. Not sad at all.

of course not. not close. i was referencing daye's daddy who wanted the nba jack.

jazzdelmar
04-09-2013, 07:38 AM
btw theres more than a fair shot that Austin is out of the league in 2 years. Not sure why everyone thinking hes such a stud

he never was. he's all but out now. but he and dad have that nba loot. and he was a far better "prospect" than russdiculous.

VinnyZag
04-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Well, his nickname is Russdiculous.

I actually think it makes sense. It's the Isaiah Thomas principle: he's not going to improve his standing by coming back for another year. If he comes back for his senior year, he's still going to be a too-small shooting guard with questionable shot selection.

The only difference is, the competition in the 2014 draft will be tougher than in the 2013 draft. I don't know if he'll make an NBA roster next fall, but his chances won't improve any in fall 2014.

GUZag08
04-09-2013, 07:44 AM
I concur with Vinny. And Thomas is the perfect example.

Made sense that AD was a higher draft prospect, as he was chosen completely on potential. Lanky 6'10 SF who can shoot was worth taking a flier on. Just didnt work out. Would've been interesting if he'd stayed at GU and really developed. Might not have been playing in Italy next year (or the next). And I doubt Austin looks at the $ as success. I bet AD and pops would've traded in a lot of the loot to have a 10 year career

Russ had a great college career, but its gonna be tough to do the same in the league as a 6 ft scorer.

Someone will still give him a shot though, I think NBA teams recognize that it takes something to succeed in NCAA, especially in the tourney.

Hoopaholic
04-09-2013, 07:58 AM
so now a days you get a ring for second place?

cbbfanatic
04-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Well, his nickname is Russdiculous.

I actually think it makes sense. It's the Isaiah Thomas principle: he's not going to improve his standing by coming back for another year. If he comes back for his senior year, he's still going to be a too-small shooting guard with questionable shot selection.

The only difference is, the competition in the 2014 draft will be tougher than in the 2013 draft. I don't know if he'll make an NBA roster next fall, but his chances won't improve any in fall 2014.

ding ding ding

cjm720
04-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Smith reminds me of Richard Hamilton of UConn. The game's changed a bit, but I think Russ could stick in the league...

Daddy's just excited, nothing sad about it.

bartruff1
04-09-2013, 08:13 AM
btw theres more than a fair shot that Austin is out of the league in 2 years. Not sure why everyone thinking hes such a stud.... Let me see...Austin is about 25....very nice looking ... apparently in excellent health and ..and probably has a net worth of over $ 5,000,000....and you ?

jazzdelmar
04-09-2013, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=cjm720;905906]Smith reminds me of Richard Hamilton of UConn. The game's changed a bit, but I think Russ could stick in the league...

huh? not even in the same galaxy......RH is 6-7 for one; and a far better shooter.....

GUZag08
04-09-2013, 08:15 AM
.... Let me see...Austin is about 25....very nice looking ... apparently in excellent health and ..and probably has a net worth of over $ 5,000,000....and you ?

haha yeah because I was comparing myself with him. I'd like to think I'm doing just fine though.

Dick

bartruff1
04-09-2013, 08:31 AM
haha yeah because I was comparing myself with him. I'd like to think I'm doing just fine though.

Dick

Well you seem to be eager to critisize him and his decisions so I was just wondering if you have had a comparable experience to make that judgement.

I don't and I have no reason to think he regrets his decisions. I think he is doing just fine...

cjm720
04-09-2013, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE=cjm720;905906]Smith reminds me of Richard Hamilton of UConn. The game's changed a bit, but I think Russ could stick in the league...

huh? not even in the same galaxy......RH is 6-7 for one; and a far better shooter.....

not size, not shooting, more his ability to slash and get to the bucket...very similar

LongIslandZagFan
04-09-2013, 08:40 AM

Dick

I hope the last word in this post is your name otherwise I am going to have some serious issues with this post.

zagco
04-09-2013, 08:44 AM
The most disappointing thing that Zagco thinks about players leaving early is that he thinks many of them might have been good NBA players if they'd developed properly. Basketball, more than any other sport, seems incapable of developing players properly. More than any other sport, it sees potential very well, but then throws it into the fire long before it is ready for it.

Zagco knows a young girl who is clearly a future WNBA player. They should take her now, when she's 14. She has all the potential in the world. Suit her up. Throw her out there.

deathchina
04-09-2013, 08:45 AM
You strike while your stock is hot. There is absolutely no guarantee that Austin Daye was going to "blow up" as a junior and become like a top 5 pick. Judging from his performance in the NBA, and his lack of significant improvement, perhaps he was a lot closer to his peak as a player when he left for the NBA then we all thought. So be probably made a fantastic business decision. Why so many posters continually bash him is beyond me. Austin Daye doesn't owe you anything. Why begrudge the guy for making his childhood dreams come true?

As for Russ Smith...his stock will never be higher.

bartruff1
04-09-2013, 08:57 AM
I hope the last word in this post is your name otherwise I am going to have some serious issues with this post.

With my smart mouth ...I have been called a lot worst than that..

LongIslandZagFan
04-09-2013, 08:58 AM
With my smart mouth ...I have been called a lot worst than that..

Doesn't make it acceptable.

BobZag
04-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Win it for Annette!

GeorgiaZagFan
04-09-2013, 09:15 AM
he finishes some "unbelievable" drives to the basket as a college player ...he won't even get those shots off in the NBA !! he's really got nothing else and I would NOT want him on my team ...I believe he will fail miserably in the NBA

jazzdelmar
04-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Win it for Annette!

hmm, somewhat fetishistic, Beezer....let the woman rest in peace, presumably in a bikini...

bballbeachbum
04-09-2013, 11:00 AM
maybe he could make it on a team like the Heat, where there are already players who always have the ball in their hands and are big dudes. that way Smith wouldn't have to handle but could still defend the other team's point, matched up with guys like Thomas at Sac for example, while playing in open space on O while the other guys get doubled all the time

not saying that will happen but it's not impossible in the right situation for a player like him imo, a good defender and who can finish.

ZagNative
04-09-2013, 11:32 AM
hmm, somewhat fetishistic, Beezer....let the woman rest in peace, presumably in a bikini...OMG! Jazz made me bust out loud laughing. Don't know what I think about Jazz having become one of my favorite posters, though I almost never agree with anything vaguely substantive he says.

jazzdelmar
04-09-2013, 11:42 AM
OMG! Jazz made me bust out loud laughing. Don't know what I think about Jazz having become one of my favorite posters, though I almost never agree with anything vaguely substantive he says.

"they got a great new drug" (Wall Street line) for that......youre in good company, i rarely say anything substantive, vaguely or otherwise......this board should be about unfettered opinion, tyvm......welcome to my fan club....dues pending

UberZagFan
04-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Russ Smith's stock is at its highest point. Don't see how he could improve it unless he grew 5 inches before next year's draft.

Whether Daye is out of the league in a few years is questionable...he gets bench minutes regularly and there's always a need for that. And he's only 24.

coolhandzag
04-09-2013, 02:09 PM
The architecture of the NBA wake is littered with those who couldn't make it. If this guy wants to try, power to him.

As for Daye. It was his choice. Be it better or worse.

Rangerzag
04-09-2013, 06:22 PM
OMG! Jazz made me bust out loud laughing. Don't know what I think about Jazz having become one of my favorite posters, though I almost never agree with anything vaguely substantive he says.

Absolutely no trouble understanding how you think this way!