PDA

View Full Version : GU how the WCC Shapes up next year:

DixieZag
04-08-2013, 05:28 PM
I would like to at least start this thread here where it will get a bit noticed and then move it to the WCC thread - - but, mods can make the ultimate decision.

Would like to discuss who will be up and who will be down in the conference next year.

I don't know all that much BB which is why I wanna know. I would put this out there as seemingly obvious:

-BYU will be way up next year. This years team seemed to really underperform their skill this year, but they have a great return missionary (name I don't recall now) a returning all-conference player and a very strong recruiting class. Don't know if it will be enough to win the conference but they won't be getting beat by USF at home, at least I don't think so.

-SMC will be down: Way down - they suffered WITH the second best player in the conference (Dellavadova) and will REALLY suffer without him. Honestly don't know how they will finish above fourth. And the sanctions - - wow, hope this isn't a knock out punch, sure seems possible.

-USD will get better: I mean they were a fun group this year, not so fun next year it seems like - - fourth seems to be the ceiling but will be "there."

- Have no clue about the others, maybe Pacific will be ok, have no idea, UP should be bad again (I like their coach, so I don't like that), USF - meh, SCU - down, LMU - up, win 2 games and that is up right? Pepp - meh, down. Transfers?

GU? Down (in conf. tough to go "up" from undefeated) but will still finish one game ahead of BYU, tied with BYU or one game down from BYU. I'll go with "tied."

As I said, lots of folks know more than me so I look forward to hearing from others.

roundup
04-08-2013, 05:43 PM
BYU way up? Losing Davies and their best recruit(s?) going on a mission. Hawes is good, Carlino loses more games than he wins, and the rest of the team is average. Don't see marked improvement.

SMC will be down, but I don't get how they "struggled" in WCC play this year. Second place by a wide margin with their only losses coming to GU. Losing Delly, Neal and the sanctions will hurt, but I doubt it will be a knockout blow as so many posters seem to think. The last two scholarship players don't see the court, our assistants do most of our recruiting, etc. Bennett is the best head coach in the WCC. People have written SMC off every year since 09' with the same result - a first or second place finish in the WCC and a matchup with the Zags in the championship. Don't see that changing next year.

SCU - losing foster and transolini after a CBI championship. Way down. Embarrassing program and coach.

USF - up with player experience, but their coach is a jackass.

Nevada Don
04-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Saint Mary's
Returning staters: Holt, Guisti, Waldow and Levesque.(technically not all started in 2012/2013). Delly, Page and Young started all games officially.
New comers: Chris Reyes, Garrett Jackson (USC), Calvin Hermanson, Dane Pineau (Aussie), Duffy and Cullen Neal.
Returning: Hodgson, James Walker, Jorden Page and Paul McCoy.
Questions: Will Cullen Neal play for the Gaels or New Mexico. Huge. How long will Page (knee) be out? Is Paul McCoy coming back and will he be fully recovered.
Sanctions: I see no affect on the 2013/2014 except that RB will be out five games.
Possible redshirts: Dane Pineau and Jorden Page, who knows?

Ezag
04-08-2013, 06:59 PM
WCC will most likely still be the #10 or lower conference. I don't see much improvement from any team at this point. I expect the conference overall to be weaker.

DixieZag
04-08-2013, 07:30 PM
BYU way up? Losing Davies and their best recruit(s?) going on a mission. Hawes is good, Carlino loses more games than he wins, and the rest of the team is average. Don't see marked improvement.

SMC will be down, but I don't get how they "struggled" in WCC play this year. Second place by a wide margin with their only losses coming to GU. Losing Delly, Neal and the sanctions will hurt, but I doubt it will be a knockout blow as so many posters seem to think. The last two scholarship players don't see the court, our assistants do most of our recruiting, etc. Bennett is the best head coach in the WCC. People have written SMC off every year since 09' with the same result - a first or second place finish in the WCC and a matchup with the Zags in the championship. Don't see that changing next year.

SCU - losing foster and transolini after a CBI championship. Way down. Embarrassing program and coach.

USF - up with player experience, but their coach is a jackass.

Great stuff and I admitted up front to not knowing much and appreciate the input from the two Gaels.

I was wrong to characterize SMC as "struggling" with Delly, 2 losses isn't struggling, what I should have said is that they seemed pretty directionless if he was taken out by D focus on him and just don't see how that improves, yes lots of guys return but just not been impressed with them yet, who knows, hope you are right.

DixieZag
04-08-2013, 07:32 PM
WCC will most likely still be the #10 or lower conference. I don't see much improvement from any team at this point. I expect the conference overall to be weaker.

Good point. No real reason to see conference play overall improving or overcoming any conference ahead.

I think BYU and USD will improve significantly - 2 out of the 8 this year - yeah, that's down - - - oh, yeah, 3 improving, forgot LMU, doncha know, go from one win to 4! Onward!

kitzbuel
04-08-2013, 08:57 PM
I think Pacific is going to have a tough inaugural year in the WCC with their new coach. They are loosing most of their guards. Looks like they are looking at a freshman pg to take over.

Lots of turnovers looming for them.

I think they struggle to make .500.

CDC84
04-08-2013, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Billy's boys have the 2nd best team in the WCC next year.

DixieZag
04-08-2013, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Billy's boys have the 2nd best team in the WCC next year.

Wow. I hadn't thought they were that good - perhaps I am underestimating them.

That would put them ahead of BYU or us - I have a hard time picturing that.

I would be happy for Billy.

kitzbuel
04-09-2013, 02:49 AM
Wow. I hadn't thought they were that good - perhaps I am underestimating them.

That would put them ahead of BYU or us - I have a hard time picturing that.

I would be happy for Billy.

They were better the BYU this year.

hooter73
04-09-2013, 08:12 AM
From what I hear USD has the players, they just need to be able to play. Might be a solid #3 team behind GU and BYU

Now as far as the WCC goes, lets just see what the OOC schedules bring. If it is another jokers row of only the best D2 and D3 schools, its going to be yet another ridiculous 'let down' year. More transfers out and missed recruits from the other schools, hard to get and keep kids when you play only two 'name brand' schools all year every year.

webspinnre
04-09-2013, 08:44 AM
For SMC I love Holt and Levesque, and like Waldow. Giusti is solid, but if Page is out long-term, that hurts. The big question right now is Neal's status as he'd be one of their top recruits ever if he sticks with them. They should have another solid team, even if it's a bit of a step back losing Delly. BYU will have some good talent, and Haws is a stud, but continuity is an issue there with people coming back from mission and going on mission. I believe they picked up a pretty good recruiting class, but one or more will go on mission right away.

CDC84
04-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Some of you are forgetting that San Diego beat BYU two out of three times this season. I don't see the Cougs as being a better team next year, but who knows.

Chris Manresa is a bit of a loss for USD. I have no idea who Billy has coming in. All I know is if Jito Kok plays 30 MPG next season, he might lead the nation in blocked shots. He's a stiff on offense, though, beyond dunking the basketball.

DixieZag
04-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Some of you are forgetting that San Diego beat BYU two out of three times this season. I don't see the Cougs as being a better team next year, but who knows.

Chris Manresa is a bit of a loss for USD. I have no idea who Billy has coming in. All I know is if Jito Kok plays 30 MPG next season, he might lead the nation in blocked shots. He's a stiff on offense, though, beyond dunking the basketball.

You make an excellant point regarding this year that I wouldn't have thought of.

But, it doesn't follow from this that BYU's returning strength and recruits don't make it far more likely that they are better than USD next year.

Good to think about, though.

CDC84
04-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Keep in mind my statement as well.....I wouldn't be surprised if USD turned out to be the 2nd best team in the WCC next year. It's definitely not a prediction.

Bogozags
04-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Keep in mind my statement as well.....I wouldn't be surprised if USD turned out to be the 2nd best team in the WCC next year. It's definitely not a prediction.

Feel the same...they have a strong foundation and a very good coach and a decent class coming in...it is quite possible...

OZZY
04-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Re SMC, At this point in time it looks like Cullen Neal is still committed to the Gaels. It wil be a tough decision either way and credit to RB for his 4 years of recruiting him. If Cullen stays a gael, I see him being the starting PG by mid year.....

If they dont get Neal I still don't see them as far down as others do.....

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-09-2013, 02:20 PM
SMC will be in rebuilding mode. Dellevedova was even more critical to his team's overall success than Kelly Olynyk was to ours. That's not to say he was as good of a player; he wasn't. However, I think that he made some very average supporting players perform at a level way above their talent. I think LeVesque, Holt, Guisti, and especially Waldow will all see dramatic downturns in production, because they don't have Delly drawing double teams and feeding them open looks.

jpwils
04-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Is McCoy coming back?

Any time you return Waldow, Holt, Levesque, and Giusti - and look for them to find a suitable replacement for Neal as he may go with his Dad ( wouldn't you?)... they will be a strong contender cuz they usually hold serve at home- it took a great game by the Zags to beat them there! They also have a couple other decent recruits if I recall- a small forward from Oregon and somebody else named Reyes??

San Diego would be lucky to beat out SMC with their current roster.

BYU will be not bad, either. Losing Davies hurts.

DixieZag
04-09-2013, 04:54 PM
SMC will be in rebuilding mode. Dellevedova was even more critical to his team's overall success than Kelly Olynyk was to ours. That's not to say he was as good of a player; he wasn't. However, I think that he made some very average supporting players perform at a level way above their talent. I think LeVesque, Holt, Guisti, and especially Waldow will all see dramatic downturns in production, because they don't have Delly drawing double teams and feeding them open looks.

A really good point about Dellavadova's importance to SMC and I agree he was critical in raising their play.

I just don't see how they can be nearly as good with so many of the same players coming back. I genuinely hope I am wrong - the league is so much better to watch when they are tough.