PDA

View Full Version : Early exits/it's alot out the wcc

howdydoody
04-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Alot of the NCAA Tournament results have to do with season schedules. This is not to say the Zags should change leagues but the fact of the matter is success, in most things, simply have to do with the constant preparation, continued development, and refinement. Yes, the program tries to balance it with an impressive pre-season schedule but in the months leading up to the Tournament, the somewhat weak league does not seem to be solid/effective preparation neither for the team nor the staff going into the Tournament. Hence, possibly contributing to some early exits.
This year's team was one of, if not the best Zag teams, teams-period. They certainly deserve congratulations.

pbriz
04-07-2013, 08:33 PM
You may have a point but eventually you just have to face the facts that the Zags didn't make it past the second round because they lost to a better team.

Conference, injuries, Kenpom 3 point shooting theories..... these are all just excuses.

On to 2013-14......

howdydoody
04-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Not sure if it all excuses. Facts seem to be:
1.If they faced more 3 point shooters; ala Curry, Ferdette, Wichita, etc. during the league; they would be been be better prepared to defend.
2.W.S misses as few threes,Zags, win. Fact is they didn't.
3.W.S played better that night; fact is they never shot that well all season.

exclusivelee
04-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Alot of the NCAA Tournament results have to do with season schedules. This is not to say the Zags should change leagues but the fact of the matter is success, in most things, simply have to do with the constant preparation, continued development, and refinement. Yes, the program tries to balance it with an impressive pre-season schedule but in the months leading up to the Tournament, the somewhat weak league does not seem to be solid/effective preparation neither for the team nor the staff going into the Tournament. Hence, possibly contributing to some early exits.
This year's team was one of, if not the best Zag teams, teams-period. They certainly deserve congratulations.

make sure you file this with the countless other "Gonzaga needs to leave the WCC" threads

Yawn.

Did I mention that the Missouri Valley Conference didn't impress me much this year, yet Wichita State still booked their way to a Final 4?

demian
04-07-2013, 10:23 PM
sorry you have to get these stupid kind of responses on this board but unfortunately they are very common responses here "make sure you file this with the countless other "Gonzaga needs to leave the WCC" threads. Gosh that response just really brings so much to the table.

demian
04-07-2013, 10:27 PM

even though this line of thinking has been posted earlier in the month and yes of course you could have easily posted this in a thread already dedicated to this subject but oh well i dont care where you post it i think its a good post. and i also thought your reply in this thread was great too about "excuses"

bartruff1
04-08-2013, 06:09 AM
A logical fallacy that misleads or detracts from the actual issue and leads to a false conclusion.

Maybe they don't teach logic at Gonzaga now days.

Birddog
04-08-2013, 06:25 AM
I wonder why Greg Marshall didn't have a better plan to stop those Louisville bench players from coming in and burying those "3s". Poor coaching I guess.

sittingon50
04-08-2013, 07:46 AM
I disagree with the OP.

I hope demian doesn't hold me in lower regard than before (if possible).

Bogozags
04-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Bottom line is we had a seven point lead, we made two. Costly turnovers, they hit five consecutive threes and they beat us. Up until that point they shot 9 for 23 behind the arc for 39%, which isn't poor defense.

The league in which we played had no bearing on WSU MAKING FIVE CONSECUTIVE THREES! It was not our night BUT I do believe we beat them two out of three. We need to stop making excuses...WSU played better that night than the Zags.

On and upwards...

GO ZAGS

cjm720
04-08-2013, 07:56 AM
WCC softens us no doubt in my mind...but to me that has most to do with post play and what our bigs can expect. I don't think our 3 pt. defense has much to do with conference affiliation.

gu03alum
04-08-2013, 08:12 AM
WCC softens us no doubt in my mind...but to me that has most to do with post play and what our bigs can expect. I don't think our 3 pt. defense has much to do with conference affiliation.

Post Play????

KO had 26 points 9 rebounds and a blocked shot. Harris had a poor shooting percentage, but still had 12 points and 7 rebounds.

cjm720
04-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Post Play????

KO had 26 points 9 rebounds and a blocked shot. Harris had a poor shooting percentage, but still had 12 points and 7 rebounds.

Our all-american played well, as expected. Harris got owned vs. Southern and was also off vs. Wichita State. Harris dominated WCC play...not so much in the tourney. The biggest difference IMO...

Ezag
04-08-2013, 08:38 AM
That's it! Not sure if anyone has heard this before but "I think we should leave the WCC!"

229SintoZag
04-08-2013, 08:44 AM

Good point. This is probably why we lost to Wichita State this year.

What was Ohio State's excuse, by the way?

SanDiegoZag
04-08-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure I follow though. The three shooters/teams you listed below (Curry, Fredette, Wichita State) all come from "mid-major" conferences... So, doesn't that go against your original point or suggestion?

Not sure if it all excuses. Facts seem to be:
1.If they faced more 3 point shooters; ala Curry, Ferdette, Wichita, etc. during the league; they would be been be better prepared to defend.
2.W.S misses as few threes,Zags, win. Fact is they didn't.
3.W.S played better that night; fact is they never shot that well all season.

demian
04-08-2013, 10:59 AM
I disagree with the OP.

I hope demian doesn't hold me in lower regard than before (if possible).

i still hold you in high regard sittingon50. I have been on GU message board since 2002 and i have always respected and hold in high regard all the people from that time frame, you, bobzag, long island, jazzdelmar, knotholegang, bilbozaggins, hondo, alouyishisdesmet. there are many more that i know i am forgetting about

Nevada Don
04-08-2013, 12:16 PM
From an outsider:

1) not a good thread a) been there already done this b) I think the premise is false
2) an observation, the better thread/posts come from experienced posters. I encourage new posters but I see a difference here. The lower number of posts a person has, the least meritous the post. Look at me, I'm the perfect example.
3) if the threads aren't good here. it will send me over to the BYU thread to lurk. Please don't do that to me !

Zagcity
04-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Our all-american played well, as expected. Harris got owned vs. Southern and was also off vs. Wichita State. Harris dominated WCC play...not so much in the tourney. The biggest difference IMO...

Again I will repeat what I've said else where, Harris didn't have his usual quick springs. He just seemed lethargic and maybe that was due to stress. We may never know. :(

Mr Vulture
04-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Blah blah blah. The tournament is a crapshoot based on matchups and who gets hot in a particular game. Gonzaga could have just as easily been in the Final Four as Wichita State, had the Shockers not closed out 7 for 7 from 3pt land. Before I hear it, not all the shots were wide open, in fact three were lucky including the one that killed us as the shot clock ran down.

GoZags
04-08-2013, 12:53 PM
From an outsider:

1) not a good thread a) been there already done this b) I think the premise is false
2) an observation, the better thread/posts come from experienced posters. I encourage new posters but I see a difference here. The lower number of posts a person has, the least meritous the post. Look at me, I'm the perfect example.
3) if the threads aren't good here. it will send me over to the BYU thread to lurk. Please don't do that to me !

Nooooo.

Must not have tGkaND* leave for BYU. Can't happen.

* = the Gael known as Nevada Don

Nevada Don
04-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Nooooo.

Must not have tGkaND* leave for BYU. Can't happen.

* = the Gael known as Nevada Don

My identity has again been compromised by GoZags. There goes my career at The Agency. I've been stripped naked with only my oversized jock strap and my autographed mouthpiece.

howdydoody
04-08-2013, 08:28 PM
TO FURTHER ELABORATE"
What is the constant for leaving the Tournament Early.
The Premise:
-Per the Boards: various different reasons.
-Lost to Different Teams.
-Had different game plans, logical.
-Have different bit GOOD Zag teams.

WHAT IS THE CONSTANT:
THE WCC
(Logic was once a requirement AT GONZAGA back in the day)
THE WCC

kclubfounder
04-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Blah blah blah. The tournament is a crapshoot based on matchups and who gets hot in a particular game. Gonzaga could have just as easily been in the Final Four as Wichita State, had the Shockers not closed out 7 for 7 from 3pt land. Before I hear it, not all the shots were wide open, in fact three were lucky including the one that killed us as the shot clock ran down.

But the WCC sucks.

But Few doesn't know how to recruit players who can guard the 3.

But you are clearly a homer.

But you are happy with the status quo.

You are worthless and weak.

The end.

kclubfounder
04-08-2013, 08:44 PM
TO FURTHER ELABORATE"
What is the constant for leaving the Tournament Early.
The Premise:
-Per the Boards: various different reasons.
-Lost to Different Teams.
-Had different game plans, logical.
-Have different bit GOOD Zag teams.

WHAT IS THE CONSTANT:
THE WCC
(Logic was once a requirement AT GONZAGA back in the day)
THE WCC

I know one other constant.

Fans who think they are smarter than they really are.

Yep, I said it.

DixieZag
04-08-2013, 10:59 PM
From an outsider:

Good points.

And funny point. Just say no - it is a slippery slope from there to DonCentral.

Birddog
04-09-2013, 03:45 AM
I know one other constant.

Fans who think they are smarter than they really are.

Yep, I said it.

Aww come on. It doesn't really take that much talent to review the digital recording or worse yet the one in your mind, and then proceed to "outcoach" the fellas that had to do it in real time. That way, you can substitute in a player before he commits a foul or misses a shot, or makes a turnover (or 3).